There are actually teams that Want Zach!

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix055753272jul05,0,7555166.story

Just playing ABCD I know Zach has game. But it really does suprise me that teams are willing to take on his contract. Now this article gives no specific teams, nor does it say what teams are offering in return (if it's not an expiring or smaller contract there is no point) but it does suggest that teams are interested. I said this the other day that the loser of the Elton Brand sweepstakes should consider trading for Zach. I really thought Walsh was lying when he said that there was interest in othe players outside of Lee.

Again no disrespect to Zach's game but if we can move him then we do have a chance at fixing our cap situation. I think that the next contract that we should move would be Crawford's. Which may not be too hard, I would trade him for an expiring contract and a early first round pick (preferably in 2010) which I think given his scoring average most GM's would certainley consider.

Finally I would keep Eddy (I'll take the critical beatdown but hear me out first!). We all know everything Eddy is not, in fact he has been considered the Anti Dwight Howard, which I whole heartedly agree. He has never been in the physical shape of Dwight, will never block shots or defend like Howard, but he has a better offensive game, which is key given the type of coach we have. Now someone dumb is going to read this and suggest that I'm saying Eddy is better or more valuable to a team than Howard, but that's not what I'm saying at all. My point is simply that scoring Centers are hard to come by making Eddy a keeper for now with coach we have.

metrocard

Legend
With Brand off the market, Zach becomes the best PF available.

If Walsh doesn't move him, its an automatic fail.
Zach shouldn't been here in the first place which makes the whole thing more complicated than it is.
I feel like firing Isiah wasn't enough, he should atleast get snuffed by a line of 50,000 + Knick fans

New, I don't think Zach is worth a 1st round pick at this point.
He's probably worth lesser than what Isiah gave up for him.

An expiring contract is GOOD enough, and we need to progress and look forward to the future and move on from everything Isiah brought here. Which is why I'm open to trade everyone on this roster.

Danilo is the only pure Knick right now.

I would not call anything an automatic fail, success is built this business on reputation, walsh has a good one. So there is no failing. A man can only hold his head as high as the position he last held it in. The knicks heads have been down for years , so any higher than we were, is success. I hate saying baby steps, but Zeke created an infant that was the knicks, a spitting up, crying, bickering, teething, keeping you awake at night infant. Walsh is just trying his best to help this child grow the hell up. getting rid of zach would help, but remember, theres a reason we got a new coach, so that the players we have, if we cant get rid of them, maybe Mike D can help them hold there heads...just a little bit higher than last year.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Damn, two great posts in a row. A buzzer should sound or something. The media and a few fans make things look worse then they really are. Yes the team played like ass last year, and the year before that, and the year before... You get my point, but, 20.10 or 17.10 guys nearly always have value. Chicago nearly pulled the trigger for Zach last week. It still could happen if the deal is right for us and them. I don't think Zach will be here for the new season.

Your point on Curry was solid also. It seems funny because of his struggles last season but it is possible that he can improve under D'Antoni.

metrocard

Legend
DontForgetDerekHarper, I understand completely what you're saying.

But Walsh needs to make a statement let the fans know this is a new era. Guys like Randolph, Crawford, and Curry need to be off this roster so Walsh can send a message that the Isiah-era is officially dead.

If I see 2 out of 3 of these guys on the team this year; I can't really say Walsh did his job.

Damn, two great posts in a row. A buzzer should sound or something. The media and a few fans make things look worse then they really are. Yes the team played like ass last year, and the year before that, and the year before... You get my point, but, 20.10 or 17.10 guys nearly always have value. Chicago nearly pulled the trigger for Zach last week. It still could happen if the deal is right for us and them. I don't think Zach will be here for the new season.

Your point on Curry was solid also. It seems funny because of his struggles last season but it is possible that he can improve under D'Antoni.

With Curry's work ethic and passion for the game, I really doubt it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
You know it may sound funny but Dantoni's sytem may even cater to Eddy's work ethic (or lack there of) because he does not beleive in killing his players in practice, his belief is that Basketball is fun and he takes that approach in his philosophy of the game. So maybe if Eddy doesnt think of it as a job it could bring out the best in him? Ok I know I'm really really reaching, but one thing is for certain pushing Eddy to overcome his weaknesses doesnt work just ask Skiles,Brown, and Isiah (second year of coaching him).

Even still accompanied with good shooters he could be an effective weapon, just not the Franchise Player Isiah tried to make him into.

metro with out a doubt man, haha feels good after reading hundreds of your posts to finally be able to respond. I agree, my point was not that we dont need action, but that if walsh happens to not (be able) to move zach, meaning attempts will obviously be made---Dont call him a failure. Just wanted to clarify so no one confuses me with some one who believes we should hold onto anything Zeke left us with. It was more or less if your on a shitty boat, dont jump into the water with out a life jacket to try to get a beautiful boat drifting by, odds are your never going to catch it like that.

metrocard

Legend
metro with out a doubt man, haha feels good after reading hundreds of your posts to finally be able to respond. I agree, my point was not that we dont need action, but that if walsh happens to not (be able) to move zach, meaning attempts will obviously be made---Dont call him a failure. Just wanted to clarify so no one confuses me with some one who believes we should hold onto anything Zeke left us with. It was more or less if your on a shitty boat, dont jump into the water with out a life jacket to try to get a beautiful boat drifting by, odds are your never going to catch it like that.

Good analogy, Do you think D'Antoni will play all his young guys right away?

You know it may sound funny but Dantoni's sytem may even cater to Eddy's work ethic (or lack there of) because he does not beleive in killing his players in practice, his belief is that Basketball is fun and he takes that approach in his philosophy of the game. So maybe if Eddy doesnt think of it as a job it could bring out the best in him? Ok I know I'm really really reaching, but one thing is for certain pushing Eddy to overcome his weaknesses doesnt work just ask Skiles,Brown, and Isiah (second year of coaching him).

Even still accompanied with good shooters he could be an effective weapon, just not the Franchise Player Isiah tried to make him into.

When Curry becomes a decent passer, then those good shooters will be utilized.

I don't think Curry would pass the ball on a team with Nash, Allen, Peja, Lewis, Dirk.

Toons

is the Bo$$
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix055753272jul05,0,7555166.story

Again no disrespect to Zach's game but if we can move him then we do have a chance at fixing our cap situation. I think that the next contract that we should move would be Crawford's. Which may not be too hard, I would trade him for an expiring contract and a early first round pick (preferably in 2010) which I think given his scoring average most GM's would certainley consider.

crawford is one of the appropriate contracts on our team...leads the team in points nad assists and makes 8 mil....y is his contract a problem? we need to get rid of jerome james contract, malik rose contrat, q. rich contract...they all make more or just as much as crawford and they dont contribute anything. Jamaal will fare well in coach D's new system, i can say that because i see the way mick coaches and the way crawford plays... even if we keep crawford as a back up or adjust the time so he plays less minutes, or that he is never made to play point guard again....he can be an asset.

Toons

is the Bo$$
With Brand off the market, Zach becomes the best PF available.

If Walsh doesn't move him, its an automatic fail.

New, I don't think Zach is worth a 1st round pick at this point.

An expiring contract is GOOD enough, and we need to progress and look forward to the future and move on from everything Isiah brought here. Which is why I'm open to trade everyone on this roster.

Danilo is the only pure Knick right now.

made sum good points, but suppose we had everything we need, but not a pure point guard....what if isiahs plan was one player shorrt....what if the ONLY thing he needed was the glue...the pure pg to pull this all together...every player in the league says that our team has a lot of talent but no chemistry....the league recognizes zachs talent and imo he is worth more than a first rounder., lastly im all for gallo, i like his style, but we havent yet seen him against nba competition.....how is he the ONLY pure knick? and what makes you a pure knick?

Toons

is the Bo$$
I would not call anything an automatic fail, success is built this business on reputation, walsh has a good one. So there is no failing. A man can only hold his head as high as the position he last held it in. The knicks heads have been down for years , so any higher than we were, is success. I hate saying baby steps, but Zeke created an infant that was the knicks, a spitting up, crying, bickering, teething, keeping you awake at night infant. Walsh is just trying his best to help this child grow the hell up. getting rid of zach would help, but remember, theres a reason we got a new coach, so that the players we have, if we cant get rid of them, maybe Mike D can help them hold there heads...just a little bit higher than last year.

ULTIMATE COSIGN....i didnt read this b4 i posted....great post

i dont believe what was said before it accurate at all about zach
he is a talented forward who averaged 20 and 10
his only probs are hes not a team player and has too big of a contract
never the less he is still really talented so we could definately get a 1st rounder and a throwin expiring contract for him....
to think he is not worth a 1st rounder is a little arrogent

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
i agree with new new york, if curry just losses a little bit of weight and has enough stamina to be able to run back and forth i think hell be fine but we need to rid of zach randonlph or eddy curry not both.

metrocard

Legend
made sum good points, but suppose we had everything we need, but not a pure point guard....what if isiahs plan was one player shorrt....what if the ONLY thing he needed was the glue...the pure pg to pull this all together...every player in the league says that our team has a lot of talent but no chemistry....the league recognizes zachs talent and imo he is worth more than a first rounder., lastly im all for gallo, i like his style, but we havent yet seen him against nba competition.....how is he the ONLY pure knick? and what makes you a pure knick?

Randolph is talented, but not a player you want a winning squad.

Gallo is a pure Knick now because he hasn't been touched by Isiah(drafted, signed, traded for).

Gallo is the first Knick of the new era Knicks.

TunerAddict

Starter
i dont believe what was said before it accurate at all about zach
he is a talented forward who averaged 20 and 10
his only probs are hes not a team player and has too big of a contract
never the less he is still really talented so we could definately get a 1st rounder and a throwin expiring contract for him....
to think he is not worth a 1st rounder is a little arrogent

I disagree. Zach is a black hole. What goes to him never comes out. He hurts the offense. He isn't suited for the PHX offense because it utilizes ball movement and unselfish play. Zach knows nothing about either. Numbers don't mean anything if they don't help increase wins.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Randolph is talented, but not a player you want a winning squad.

Gallo is a pure Knick now because he hasn't been touched by Isiah(drafted, signed, traded for).

Gallo is the first Knick of the new era Knicks.

I agree with you but Isiah did scout him and he approved of the drafting of Gallo LMAO so he could still be tainted haha jk
in all seriousness i think Zach has to go we could get some value for him we almost got Hinrich and Gooden for him so we could still get real players who have a passion for winning and that was the biggest thing we lacked no REAL players...and Crawford could be packaged with Lee and Nate for a sign-and-trade for Ellis that would be the perfect....man please Walsh bring Ellis here

MEtro, do I think he will play the young guys, who is not the young guys. Malik Rose has wilted like a Rose on feb 28th, Jerome Gains, is going to be bought out. Our team is nothing but youth. I see chandler thriving based on the fact depaul ran a strong pick and roll, pick and pop, and cutting system. Plus he can rebound and pass well, I see him being used in high screen situations. I could see some one as ridiculous as Horrid Jefferies being able to score 3 or 4 dunks a night in this sytem. WIth Zekes system Jared was used like a spot up three point shooter, due to his lack of handles he never was involved directly in Zekes (princeton based offense) All together, the knicks are youth, I believe Danilo (not from watching youtube videos) but from scouting reports and from looking up information solely on the players he played with, is more prepared at his age than any of the freshman coming into the league. With marion, ricky, and wade M beez wont get as many touches as a durant in sonicsville, so forget a rookie of the year campaign. O.J mayo reminds me of a J.R smith to be honest with you, and Derek rose is being coached by a rookie coach in del negro who I dont believe has enough fire to be a motivation tool to get young men like gordon and deng and tyrus to follow a rookies lead just yet( if you recall this exact same squad minus rose used to fall asleep half a season, if it wasnt for the strong headed 30 assists in one game record holder scott wild skiles they would of been out of the post season for the last 4 seasons. All in all our rookie is top tier. our youth is deep. and our basketball IQ is higher than we think if we have a coach who is able to take advantage of lost talent on shitty teams i.e Boris Diaw, Q.Rich, Raja Bell, And even nash was a completely different animal than he was in his maverick days. The proof is in the pudding, our team is talented, just marred, well marred isnt scarred, wounds heal, and so will the knicks.

Last edited:

TunerAddict

Starter
MEtro, do I think he will play the young guys, who is not the young guys. Malik Rose has wilted like a Rose on feb 28th, Jerome Gains, is going to be bought out. Our team is nothing but youth. I see chandler thriving based on the fact depaul ran a strong pick and roll, pick and pop, and cutting system. Plus he can rebound and pass well, I see him being used in high screen situations. I could see some one as ridiculous as Horrid Jefferies being able to score 3 or 4 dunks a night in this sytem. WIth Zekes system Jared was used like a spot up three point shooter, due to his lack of handles he never was involved directly in Zekes (princeton based offense) All together, the knicks are youth, I believe Danilo (not from watching youtube videos) but from scouting reports and from looking up information solely on the players he played with, is more prepared at his age than any of the freshman coming into the league. With marion, ricky, and wade M beez wont get as many touches as a durant in sonicsville, so forget a rookie of the year campaign. O.J mayo reminds me of a J.R smith to be honest with you, and Derek rose is being coached by a rookie coach in del negro who I dont believe has enough fire to be a motivation tool to get young men like gordon and deng and tyrus to follow a rookies lead just yet( if you recall this exact same squad minus rose used to fall asleep half a season, if it wasnt for the strong headed 30 assists in one game record holder scott wild skiles they would of been out of the post season for the last 4 seasons. All in all our rookie is top tier. our youth is deep. and our basketball IQ is higher than we think if we have a coach who is able to take advantage of lost talent on shitty teams i.e Boris Diaw, Q.Rich, Raja Bell, And even nash was a completely different animal than he was in his maverick days. The proof is in the pudding, our team is talented, just marred, well marred isnt scarred, wounds heal, and so will the knicks.

Cosign. :beer: :agreed:

NYKnicks15

Starter
a few teams are looking at Randolph and rightfully so. we look at zach and hate him no matter what even tho he puts up 17 and 10 because he represents Isiah thomas and selfishness. if you look at it. it was not a bad trade. one of the best PFs in the league for steve francis' bad contract and channing frye. its not a bad contract as he makes 13 million a year. its just hes not what we need. so its not a surprise ppl still want to look at this guy. especially with his skill and age.

bulls and warriors would be my first two guesses. perhaps even the cavs. i would have loved an ellis for randolph sign and trade but that seems unlikely at this point. unless we do one for biedrins. which wouldnt be bad. the warriors have a lot of cap space. the bulls are just fond of him. the cavs need a lot and a wally for randolph trade would be great. i also imagine the 76ers to take a look especialyl with all their cap space and mo cheeks love for zach.

there are many possibilities out there, so if walsh doesnt move him at least by the start of the season id be very disappointed. not because he cant move him but because he didnt take the opportunity to do so.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Moving Zach Randolph

Most teams have at least some bad contracts and some of those bad contracts extend only two more years and not three more years and into 2010.

Zach Randolph is valuable to many teams if his arrival is accompanied by the departure of bad contracts.

Dolan has never claimed to be an expert in team or player development. His selection of persons to do that for him, however, has not been fortunate. But Dolan has done one thing probably better than any other owner. He has been willing to spend money.

The recent two year only contract for Duhon suggests that Walsh is quite serious about the goal of securing cap space by 2010. As matters now stand the Knicks' committed 2010 salaries are Randolph at $17.33M, Curry at $11.27M, Crawford at $10.08M and Jefferies at $6.88M. Each has three years - through 2010 - left on his contract. Zach Randolph, who plainly does not fit the D'Antoni mold of player - has to go before 2010.

There are only a few teams with current cap space, Philadelphia and Golden State come to mind. There are several other teams, however, with players with bloated contracts that expire in 2009. For example, Cleveland's Ben Wallace will make $14M next year and $14.5M in 2009. Chicago's Larry Hughes will make $12.87M and then $13.6M; and Shaquille will get $20M for the next two years from Phoenix. There are plenty of others at significant, but lesser amounts: Kenny Thomas and Rahim at Sacramento, Simmons at Milwaukee, Blount and Haslem with Miami, Milicic and Cardinal at Memphis; Watson and Ridnour at Seattle, Mobley and Tim Thomas with the Clippers.

Randolph could help Chicago. Would Chicago take him and his three year contract with a package that included Hughes with his two year contract? We do not have to like Hughes, he will be off the books in 2010.

This approach simply makes Randolph less expensive for the acquiring team, but it does not save a lot of money for the Knicks. It just helps to get under the cap in 2010.

I think Walsh will get something done about Randolph soon. He becomes less valuable next year, because then the Knicks can only take back one year contracts rather than two year contracts.