Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 155

Thread: Farewell Marbury???

  1. #61
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    marbury is going to play in the euroleague next year anyway, he said it publically, no gm wants him.....thats y cutting him makes no sense

  2. #62
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    This is from frank isola's blog. now don't get me wrong, i'm not a marbury hater, i'm just posting this up so people can see it cause i haven't seen anyone else post it.


    Jettisoning Marbury is positive step


    Here’s a newsflash: Stephon Marbury is a better player than Chris Duhon. Then again, Marbury has been the team’s best point guard since the day he arrived in the ill-fated trade with the Phoenix Suns five years ago. And what has that gotten the Knicks other than a lot of losses and plenty of controversies?
    Donnie Walsh and Mike D’Antoni fully understand that Duhon can’t compare to Marbury when it comes to pure talent. But Walsh and D’Antoni also realize that you can’t change the culture at Madison Square Garden without removing the player who has come to symbolizes everything we despise about the Knicks this decade.
    Marbury has been the Knicks franchise player for five years and he has done more to harm the franchise in that time than just about any player in club history. It is time to move on. Walsh and D’Antoni know it and deep down I believe that Marbury knows that he needs a change of venue. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up on Miami or becomes a back-up with San Antonio or Boston.
    The uninformed will buy into Marbury’s claim that “this will be my year.” Here’s another newsflash: He’s been saying that for the past five years. Maybe things will be better for Marbury in the 2008-09 season but it just won’t happen in New York.
    Walsh and D’Antoni need to rebuild the roster and improve the chemistry in the locker room. Removing Marbury accomplishes both goals. We know, we know. Duhon is no Marbury. And that’s what we like about him already.

  3. #63
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Marbury also said he had a beast to throw the ball down low to.

    Trust, GM's would want him at less money. He is still in the top half of pg's in the league in my opinion. The only thing i don't like about Marbury is his dickriders

  4. #64
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    i do agree tho, to change a losing culture, you got to get rid of losing players. Isola should be the first to wish off Curry and Crawford and Randolph too

  5. #65
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    how the hell do u call crawford and randolph???
    we need to rid ourselves of jerome james, jarred jeffries, mardy collins, randolph morris, malike rose....and support the starters that we have!

  6. #66
    Member lanceroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by youpddd
    This is from frank isola's blog. now don't get me wrong, i'm not a marbury hater, i'm just posting this up so people can see it cause i haven't seen anyone else post it.


    Jettisoning Marbury is positive step


    Here’s a newsflash: Stephon Marbury is a better player than Chris Duhon. Then again, Marbury has been the team’s best point guard since the day he arrived in the ill-fated trade with the Phoenix Suns five years ago. And what has that gotten the Knicks other than a lot of losses and plenty of controversies?
    Donnie Walsh and Mike D’Antoni fully understand that Duhon can’t compare to Marbury when it comes to pure talent. But Walsh and D’Antoni also realize that you can’t change the culture at Madison Square Garden without removing the player who has come to symbolizes everything we despise about the Knicks this decade.
    Marbury has been the Knicks franchise player for five years and he has done more to harm the franchise in that time than just about any player in club history. It is time to move on. Walsh and D’Antoni know it and deep down I believe that Marbury knows that he needs a change of venue. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up on Miami or becomes a back-up with San Antonio or Boston.
    The uninformed will buy into Marbury’s claim that “this will be my year.” Here’s another newsflash: He’s been saying that for the past five years. Maybe things will be better for Marbury in the 2008-09 season but it just won’t happen in New York.
    Walsh and D’Antoni need to rebuild the roster and improve the chemistry in the locker room. Removing Marbury accomplishes both goals. We know, we know. Duhon is no Marbury. And that’s what we like about him already.
    LOL! This is like a nastier, straight-up, no nonsense version of what I'm trying to say. But what's up with that idea of Marbury to San Antonio and/or Boston?! I've mentioned this already before: Is Marbury willing to back up Rondo, cause you know Doc isn't just gonna change his lineup and favor Marbury over Rondo. And San Antonio? They're smart enough not to take a risk on Marbury now that they' still have a year or 2 as legit championship contenders. That's just crazy! Miami.. now that's a possibility. And Marbs could even be great there. But anyway, as far as the Knicks are concerned, this is just exactly what they need right now. A change of atmosphere and mentality by taking away the team's supposed best player and leader that didn't get the team anywhere in 5 years. But Crawford, Randolph, Curry, and even Lee better not think they're the pieces of the future either.

  7. #67
    Member lanceroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    how the hell do u call crawford and randolph???
    we need to rid ourselves of jerome james, jarred jeffries, mardy collins, randolph morris, malike rose....and support the starters that we have!
    None of those starters are untradebale and are in no way a lock as pieces of our future. Heck we don't even need to mention the likes of Jerome James, Jared Jeffries and a few others. Are they even gonna be here by 2010-11?? Like I said, expect the next 2 seasons to have several player movements in the Knicks. And I think it couldn't have gone at a better time.

  8. #68
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    I didn't call you delusional as an insult. You actually were being delusional. If what I was saying was untrue, and I was just saying it to put you down, it would be an insult, but in fact, it wasn't. I just said the truth. To think Chis Duhon is capable of being a better leader than Marbury is delusional. That's like saying that Rajan Rondo is a better leader than
    Tracy McGrady. Sure, T-Mac has never made it passed the first round, but he's a far better player than Rondo, and most people would prefer to have McGrady on their team over Rondo.
    See, this is where you aren't following your own advice. Read my post. I never said Duhon was a better leader. I said he was unproven as he had never lead before. Owned.

  9. #69
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    Fact is Marbury does not deserve 20 mil.

    If he was making 10/12 mil, he would have A LOT of value. THere is no GM dumb enough to trade for him this year. TO help the Knicks here is what i want to happen. Start Marbury. Hope he gets 15 pts 7 or 8 assists. THEN, resign him for a more accetable contract (7-10mill) and trade him.
    As much as I love this idea, I really don't think his ego would accept less cash.

  10. #70
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    i wish them off because Crawford has a very good contract in terms of trade bait as his salary is pretty good for what he is; a fringe starter and great 6th man. We could trick a team in need of a PF for Randolph.

    I hate Crawford with a passion....He's John Starks with no tenacity. And i wasn't even a huge Starks fan as a kid. But that is besides the point.

    Yeah most of our backups are trash by NBA standards...James, Rose, Collins (i actually think Jeffries is decent), but no one wants our trash, unless they are expiring. So we have to keep them unfortunately

  11. #71
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by lanceroy
    None of those starters are untradebale and are in no way a lock as pieces of our future. Heck we don't even need to mention the likes of Jerome James, Jared Jeffries and a few others. Are they even gonna be here by 2010-11?? Like I said, expect the next 2 seasons to have several player movements in the Knicks. And I think it couldn't have gone at a better time.
    ok, here is where i make my point, many of you say, crawford should go to the cavs, he would do well in cleveland....what the eff is the difference? its still a ball, still a court, still the same competition, some of you say randolph will do better on a other team....better than 20 n 10? why not make our team better, get rid of our garbage....might i add, that our garbage is very expensive....about 50 mil worth...with that kind of money, we can make some of our starters role players, and build from there. we need coaching adjustment, as in allocation of minutes, finding lineups that work, we need to develop chemistry more than shifting players. When randolph came in, i knew it wasnt gonna work at first, i always said give him 2 or 3 years....so i dont suggest trading him.

  12. #72
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    The fact that Marbury is "incredibly unpopular with his teammates" is enough reason to get rid of him. This has been a common problem with Marbury. Regardless if Marbury is here or not, this team is not accomplishing anything next year. Why hold onto to someone for one year, if it means nothing and if he pisses his teammates off?
    The NY Times is full of propoganda, when D'Antoni and Walsh come out publicly to state this then its true. Right now thats just a rumor.

    Originally Posted by lanceroy
    Wow so much developments in just 24 hours. Personally, like a few others who have posted earlier in this thread, it wouldn't hurt to have a fresh start or inch towards it by getting rid of Marbury. We've been with him for pretty much 5 season already. I think the feeling-out and the testing stage are already done and over with. The team is well aware of the impact of Marbury. He's a scorer and decent point guard, but he just had too much baggage. Way too much for even Walsh and D'Antoni to forego his last season as a Knick. That tells a lot. No need anymore to have another season. Being a great player is not just about having a great career statistic or carrying a team to the playoffs. You need to lead, make your teammates better, or if someone else is the leader, be a good follower. I think in those 5 seasons, we've already had enough to learn of Marbury. And despite all his talent, the Knicks just needed a breath of fresh air. It's not the last move we have to make no doubt. But as a start, it's a HUGE HUGE move. Let's all just move on. We've had losing seasons all those 5 seasons, with one season getting to the playoffs only to get swept. C'mon guys. You all know this will be a positive move for the Knicks. In terms of winning more games - we don't know for sure. But at least the team had a shakeup we sorely needed. I'm surprised he's leaving even before the season, but when the Knicks brass decided on it, you'd have to admit there's something really bad going on internally with the team.

    I just hope we get something valuable like draft picks for Marbury.

    As for Duhon, he's only here for 2 years. So let's just leave it at that.
    You're failing to understand the basis of what a fresh start.

    Starting with a clean slate would BEST start off with getting rid of the two weakest links in the starting 5.

    This is the starting 5 right now.

    Marbury
    Crawford
    Richardson
    Randolph
    Curry

    In order of weakness
    Richardson(Absolutely useless)
    Curry(worst defensive/rebounding center in the NBA, no passion for the game)
    Crawford(decent contract, productive but brings a losing attitude on the court with his chucking and piss poor defender)
    Randolph(ugly contract, productive)
    Marbury(expiring contract, still productive)

    Getting rid of the starter with the most value FIRST isn't the right move. It just isn't.

    It won't change anything, you guys don't even know what the Knicks culture is.

    This team will still have Crawford, Richardson, Randolph, Curry, Rose, James, Jefferies, Collins and Morris.

    Nothing will be changed until the top 4 will be gone.

    Marbury will be gone next season, no need to let him go now, especially when he's expected to preform at his best since this is his contract year.

    "C'mon guys", you sound like a cheerleader now. I don't know what you have against Stephon, probably because he's a superior athlete to Manny Pacquoa, has more swagger and makes more money, but you need to stop cheerleading this Marbury propaganda, it isn't working.

    Marbury only been on the Knicks 4 seasons, not 5.

    He first season, he only played 47 games. The most recent season doesn't even count since he played about 20 games and was put through hell under Isiah, a man who tried everything in his power to make Marbury look bad.
    So, in reality, its 3 and a half seasons.

    Marbury's first season was ELITE.
    He lead the NBA in assist, so you guys gotta be moron to actually believe he's a "Selfish" player.
    He averaged 20 ppg and over 9 assist
    The next season he averaged 21 ppg and over 8 assist, still elite numbers you could build around.

    After that, everything went down hill.

    Isiah traded the future for Curry(Aldridge, Noah, Cap space, other draft picks)
    Isiah brought in a coach who didn't fit the team personnel.
    Isiah wanted to make Crawford and Curry the main focus on offense.
    That lead us to one of the worst records in Knicks franchise history.
    Marbury became a spectator PG where Crawford and Curry had most of the touches and made our offense harder to watch than you trying to lose your virginity.
    There was a lot of hype and drama that season where Jamal and Eddy were hyped up to be "potential" "alot of upside", when all we saw from them were bad decisions and the worst defense seen in Knicks history.
    The avoid blame on them, Isiah and them media directed their attention to Marbury.
    Marbury averaged 16 and 6, still excellent numbers; but he was made the scapegoat for taking a back seat for Crawford's and Curry's shot attempts.
    Same thing happened the next season.
    These are historical facts in the last 4 years; only ignorant people would want to skip over this because it kills their belief, it really does.
    And please don't come in here with that garbage about following and leading, you would be the last person to even know anything about winning in sports. Its more than "following" and "leading".
    Marbury never had a bad season in New York. He put in sticky situations by people who didn't know what they were doing. Everyone knows this, but want to say Marbury is responsible because he's the scapegoat.
    You guys could cry all you want to how I'm "bias" for Marbury, that could be the case; but these facts just favor my side too much.
    These anti-Marbury guys are constantly repeating themselves after each other too, I'm disappointed in the lack of creativity really.


    clumsy, most people don't deserve 20 mil.
    Marbury is an expiring contract. Teams would want that based on the fact he would free up a lot of salary on a team's salary cap.

  13. #73
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    Fact is Marbury does not deserve 20 mil.

    If he was making 10/12 mil, he would have A LOT of value. THere is no GM dumb enough to trade for him this year. TO help the Knicks here is what i want to happen. Start Marbury. Hope he gets 15 pts 7 or 8 assists. THEN, resign him for a more accetable contract (7-10mill) and trade him.
    THere's the rub. I think the only player making more money than Steph next year will be KG. Thats like paying for a Bentley and coming home with a Huyundia. Thats why I am mad a Steph because he is a bad value to the team. We can't even trade him if we wanted to. We need "Starbury" to earn his money this year.

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    455
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Marbury's time in New York will never be viewed by historians as "The Renaissance". He (Marbury) perpetually complained about his teammates Kurt Thomas, Quentin Richardson, Tim Thomas, Keith Van Horn, Etc. (This list is potentially endless) and took no responsibility for the teams failure even though he considered himslef to be the Engine of the Knicks offense. I can't say I'll be sad for Marbury's 21 milli to come off the books. Here's the harsh reality. Marbury is the 2nd highest paid player in the league behind KG. So if anyone can tell me that Marbury is better than Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, then get help cause you're a pathelogical liar.(LOL, it true though, I'm using humor to cushion the truth). Ride the contract out take nothing back in return. At the end of the year, we'll have on 58 milli on the books. This is NY. All the best players want to be here based on the fact it's the Mecca of basketball. Players will always want to play at MSG.


    jimkcchief88 you ain't said nothing but the truth! "Starbury" needs to show some pride and earn that cheque.

  15. #75
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Marbury

    Marbury could have a very good year. He may well be worth something at the trading deadline. He can not be traded, however, unless it is to a team with substantial cap space or for equally substantial contracts in return.

    It is clear that Walsh is not going to take contracts extending through 2010, but at the deadline the Knicks could take a contract or two that terminates before 2010 and perhaps also get some promising young player or a draft pick. The question is simply how much $$ the promising player or draft pick is worth? Getting cap space in 2010 does not necessarily mean saving money before 2010; that is, we can take a bad contract or two, so long as they do not carry over through 2010.

    Lets play it out. Remember that the Knicks owe Utah a first round draft pick. It acquired the pick from Phoenix and Phoenix got it as the result of the Marbury trade. It is top 24 protected for 2009, but unprotected for 2010. In other words, we do not have a 2010 first round pick.

Similar Threads

  1. Donnie: Marbury is a key player
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jun 28, 2008, 12:22
  2. Marbury speaks out
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Jun 28, 2008, 12:14
  3. Stephon Marbury Banned From MSG!!!!
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Mar 24, 2008, 19:28
  4. Marbury back 4 2008
    By Kennedy Curse in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan 11, 2008, 14:51
  5. Starbury...what a joke!
    By JerseyCityNETSfan15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Mar 20, 2006, 09:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •