International Players More Hype than Hope

metrocard

Legend
negro just...
1z4v6nb.gif

BCKnicks

Rookie
If people would look at Dirk's numbers thye would realize that he is by far the bet international player in the game right now bar none. He gets all sorts of abuse for his recent playoff struggles but the fact is his team ran into an unstoppable Dwayne Wade once in the Finals and collapsed and then lost to their old coach, Nellie. Dirk's chance at a championship may have passed with the Mavs' aging roster but he is legitimately a great player don't fool yourself.

pat

Starter
You're probably the worst at understanding simple facts.

Look at the international guys without NCAA experience that have fully succeded in the NBA lately:

Predrag Stojakovic(NBA all star, one of the best shooters in NBA history) was selected in the 1996 draft, but come to the NBA until the 98-99 season. Previously he played with PAOK in the Greek League and averaged 23.9 points with very tough competition. He was on an elite team also.

Dirk Nowitzki(MVP, All star, Top 10 player) helped his team get promoted to First German Division right before being picked in the 1998 draft. He was the league's top scorer with 21.4 ppg and third rebounder with 8.4 rpg.

Pau Gasol's(All star, top 10 big man) dominance in the ACB(best league outside the NBA) League during the 2000-2001 season helped him earned MVP honours at the King's Cup, leading F.C. Barcelona to a perfect 9-0 record during the playoffs.

Andrei Kirilenko(All star, elite defensive player) was the MVP in his last season in the Russian Superleague. He averaged 19.2 points and 8.7 rebounds for Russia at the European Championships in the summer of 2001.

Yao Ming(Elite center, all star, best offensive center in the NBA since Shaq) had Chamberlain-esque stats in China the season before he was chosen by the Rockets averaged 32.4 points (with 72% on FG), 19 rebounds and 4.8 blocked shots, and lead the Shangai Sharks to their first CBA title.

Manu Ginobili(All star, NBA champion, probably the best SG in the NBA behind Kobe) won all kinds of tournaments; Euroleague, Italian league and Italian Cup) and MVP trophies before joining the Spurs in 2002(He was drafted in 1999). He led Argentina to a silver medal in Indiannapolis, making history after beating USA badly. Ginobili won a couple of championships also, making him one of the most successful basketball players in the history of basketball, winning a championship in every league he's been.

Tony Parker(All star, NBA champion, elite PG.
His last season in France with Paris Basket Racing (2000-2001), he only averaged 14.7 points and 5.6 assists. Not great numbers, but Parker always was scouted for his blazing speed. An elite athlete.

Here's the pattern.
Big accomplishers who are developed and contribute to their overseas teams and making them win against very good competition most of the time turn out to be very successful in the NBA.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Darko Milicic were benchwarmers in Europe. If anyone's to blame its the stupid GM's who draft these guys so high and draft proven guys like Parker and Ginobili so low. Bottom line players like those aren't ready and will never be ready to live to the expectation.
This strategy of drafting and signing immature European teenagers has backfired on many teams.

Andrea Bargnani will be just a taller Antwain Jamison without the rebounding skills.

He shouldn't be considered a bust yet.

Yi Jianlian got GAME and will produce in the NBA. He has post skills, can block shots, has freakish athlecism for a 7 footer, range from 3pt and loves to rebound and bang in the post.

Yao is # 2 behind Shaq? You don't even know your center rankings.

Dwight Howard is the best center in the NBA. Or Even Amare.
Yao was number 1 for a while also.
Shaq hasn't been the same and isn't even a top 5 center in the NBA no more, where you been?

Arroyo is a C+ level PG, undrafted. No one expected him to make the NBA and he still managed to produce respectfully in the league.

Luis Scola is a NBA rookie who averaged 14 PPG and 9.3 rebounds in the PLAYOFFS, you said he only does work in the REG season. Damn, you are wrong again, no suprise.
Luis Scola was another SUCESSFUL EUROLEAGUE player who made the all rookie team and will continue to be a very good starter for the Rockets next to Yao.

Bogut averages almost 15 ppg, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. Thats not bad at all, nor a BUST.

I bet if Oden was from FRANCE, you would be calling him out for being "Too soft" and use that for the reason why he missed the whole year.

You're trying too hard.
Not coming with the facts.
Failing miserably with each sentence you write.

Peja is a career 18 and 5 player and was drafted 14th overall...STFU. Theres more American BUST in the playoffs too, do I have to call them out to make a point? Not even you are that dumb to not realize it.
But I'm going to do that.

At 14th in 1996, Peja was selected.
The next year at 14th in 1997 Maurice Taylor was selected.
1998, Michael Dickerson was selected.
1999, William Avery was selected.
2000, Mateen Cleaves
2001, Troy Murphy
2002, Fred Jones
2003, Luke Ridnour
2004, Kris Humphries
2005, Rashad McCants
2006, Ronnie Brewer

Here's trivia for you.
Who was the best player at 14 in the last 10 years in the NBA Draft?
AN INTERNATIONAL PLAYER FROM YUGOSLAVIA :teeth:
Dude, 9 of those American BUST don't even combine together to have the career Peja had. I just pointed out more bust than you did in one simple point. You think I'm done? LOL...theres a reason why dudes avoid to get in debates with me here, the facts I bring are HEAVY.

Last 10 years 1998-2008, NBA draft lottery bust from U.S.A.
1998(LOL majority bust)
Michael Olowokandi
Raef LaFrentz
Robert Traylor
Jason Williams
Bonzi Wells
Micheal Doleac
Keon Clark
Michael Dickerson
Bryce Drew

1999(Good draft, Ginobili happened to be the best player from this draft and went number 58)
Jonathan Bender
William Avery
Trajan Langdon

2000(LMAO wow)
Stromile Swift
Darius Miles
Demarr Johnson
Marcus Fizer
Chris Mihm
Jamal Crawford
Joel Przybilla
Keyon Dooling
Courtney Alexander
Etan Thomas
Mateen Cleaves
Jason Collier

2001(LMAO Gasol happened to be the best player from this draft)
Kwame Brown
Eddy Curry
Shane Battier(Role players aren't drafted at 6, 10 and 4 for his career)
Eddie Griffin
Rodney White(LMAO, he's playing in Puerto Rico now)
Kedrick Brown
Steven Hunter
Kirk Haston
Jason Collins
Michael Bradley
Joseph Forte

2002(Yao, yet another INT'L best player from the draft)
Jay Williams
Dajuan Wagner
Melvin Ely
Chris Wilcox
Our very own, Jared Jeffries
Marcus Haislip
Fred Jones

I didn't list Dunleavy or Gooden, but they didn't turn out to be anything special for number 3 and 4 picks.

non lottery
Juan Dixon (successful college player, terrible NBA player)
Curtis Borchardt
Casey Jacobson
Ryan Humphrey
Kareem Rush

2003 was one of the greatest drafts in NBA history.
Sweetney though.
T.J. Ford didn't live up to hype, got traded 3 times already.
Hinrich is average.
Jarvis Hayes?
Marcus Banks is a scrub
Collinson is average
Troy Bell and Reece Gaines aren't even in the NBA.

Emeka Okafor(didn't live up to potential for # 2 pick)
Shaun Livingston
Devin Harris
Josh Childress
Luke Jackson
Robert Swift
Kris Humphries
Sebestain Telfair(sorry, he's one of my favorites but was another USA lottery bust)

Marvin Williams
Martell Webster
Charlie V
Channing Frye
Ike Diougu
Sean May
Rashad McCants
Antoine Wright
Joey Graham
Gerald Green
Julius Hodge

Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams
Randy Foye
Patrick O'Bryant
J.J. Redick
Hilton Armstrong
Cedric Simmons
Shawne Williams

2007...to be decided

2008..to be decided.

Diaw, Barbosa, Bell are all contributors on Phoneix.
Turkyglu won most improved player and has become the vocal point on offense for the Magic. He's a 20/5/4 player.
Nicioni has been the Bulls most consistant player, ask most Bulls fans.
Jose Calderon is one of the best PG's in the NBA, T.J. Ford could be considered a BUST since he was traded 3 times already and hasn't lived up to expectations.
Parker and Garbojosa are NBA starting material.
Spurs stock piled on international talent and proved you could suceed in the NBA with European style of basketball (rugged, defensive basketball with fundamental pick and roll on offense)

I'm a NBA/Draft/Int'l basketball guru, I follow this deeply since 2004. I come heavy with the knowledge and research, so if you want to actually make this is a debate instead of a slaughter, I suggest for you to step up your weight.

The **** you expect every non-USA guy to dominate the league? You're logic is the most retarded one I seen, on some real talk. No attempt to disrespect you, I respect your post, but I never seen anyone this dumb on such a topic.

NOW THAT'S A WRAP .

Well done Metro. Except that The Candyman is actually an international player (I thing Nigerian with a British passport). All this talk about Europeans being not fit for the NBA is crap. Europeans invented Rugby! American football without shoulder pads. Assuming that they are all soft is plain chauvinism, there is no logical explanation where this difference should come from.

Last edited:

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
So what do you think the spurs chances are without Duncan? Get real Ginobili is a good player, but he's the beneficiary of Tim Duncan's absolute greatness. Duncan is the only spur, besides Robinson, that will be heading to Springfield.

Stojacovic - Folds in the playoffs after great players get him somewhere (Chris Webber)

Dirk Nowitzki - elite cause the media says so. Josh Howard was the only one who showed up in the Finals Vs. Miami. He (Dirk) got shut down by...Udonis Haslem.

Pau Gasol - If you watched this years finals, you know the answer to this one as well. Dunked on Garnett in the series. Then proceeded to have an on court view of how to play PF by KG, who killed him. Don't believe me? Then why'd the Lakers lose by 39 in the deciding game?

Andrei Kirilenko - Spends more time crying than playing. Paul Milsap has made where Utah is now considering offers for AK-47, who 2 seasons ago was untouchable.

Saying these cats are busts are reality. Not hate. Are there more busts that are american? Sure, that's by volume. Not everyone can be a star. If you were starting a team tommorow, you wouldn't pick any of the aforementioned players first. You pick an American. The fact of the matter is the nba is dominated by Black american males. Don't like the reality go watch some other league.

Finally, someone else on this site who isn't dick riding international players.

The fact of the matter is simple mathematics...of course there is statistically going to be more American busts..for the simple fact...we've been doing it longer in OUR league. PERIOD. You can go back to the very first NBA draft..and go down through the lists of busts.

Second point, to be considered a bust generally you're talking about guys drafted in the Top 15 of players...as being the cream of the crop.

All the names Metro sat up here and dropped...3/4 of them cats weren't expected to be GREAT NBA players. A handful were expected to be seriously earth shattering. Each NBA draft the pickings are much slimmer than say the NFL..which has 7 rounds...compared to the NBAs' 2 rounds.

The NFL u got a better chance at finding a diamond in the rough because frankly it is deeper...in the NBA the opposite effect simply because you have less rounds. So the evaluation process can't really be as in depth...nor can u really "covet" talent because it's just so slim...that if you know about them..chances are 6-7 other teams know about em...just that y'all rank differently.

But as far as European and other International players like (Bogut excuse me an Aussie) are concerned...all of them with the exception of like Manu were drafted extremely high. And if you are GOING TO WASTE a pick on an international player that is going to need much more transition...you damned right he better be Kobe, or KG in the next few years. Because American players don't have to adjust to the American game, don't have to learn the language, the customs.

I've yet to see a European equivalent to Shaq, KG, Kobe, Deron, CP3.

WE'RE STILL WAITING....

Europe and International players alike produce shooters for the most part. That is it...

The best European player really in counting from 80s..honestly, was Drazen.

Shaq's proven he can win in crunch time..!!!

Yao hasn't!!
Dirk hasn't!!
Andrei hasn't!!
Okur hasn't!!

And they are supposed to be the International elites.

Successful EUROLEAGE?? C'mon that's like being proud your a star on Junior Varsity.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Well done Metro. Except that The Candyman is actually an international player (I thing Nigerian with a British passport). All this talk about Europeans being not fit for the NBA is crap. Europeans invented Rugby! American football without shoulder pads. Assuming that they are all soft is plain chauvinism, there is no logical explanation where this difference should come from.

You know seriously if RUGBY was the man sport y'all like to claim it is....how come the NFL year in year out has more career ending injuries, even with all the padding?

RUGBY ain't shit! Only thing cool about it is the polo's!

metrocard

Legend
Everyone mark the 2nd post from this as the weakest reply in Knicksonline.com history.

You're really opinionated right now.
I brought you solid facts, historical documents, past draft history, and broke it down to support my arguement.

All you brought me was a shitty opinion.

I'm really disappointed, I guess you just got a hate for Euros and can't really say much except a lot of caca.

You say they been doing it longer, aren't you contradicting yourself?
If they've been doing it "longer" they should be least American bust.
You failed yourself again, how can you debate against yourself and lose? This is embarrassing and this is what happens when you don't know your shit and just talk a lot of opinionated shit.

"All the names Metro sat up here and dropped...3/4 of them cats weren't expected to be GREAT NBA players."

Gordo, what proof do you have of this? What really supports a statement like that is that is so invalid?

Do you really want me to bring out the projections for all the American bust?
Do you know what DRAFT projections are?
If you're picked 1-15, you're expected to be a productive NBA starter; thats always been the case.

KnicksFan4Realz, how did these following players adjust to the "American Game" in the NBA?

1998(LOL majority bust)
Michael Olowokandi
Raef LaFrentz
Robert Traylor
Jason Williams
Bonzi Wells
Micheal Doleac
Keon Clark
Michael Dickerson
Bryce Drew

1999(Good draft, Ginobili happened to be the best player from this draft and went number 58)
Jonathan Bender
William Avery
Trajan Langdon

2000(LMAO wow)
Stromile Swift
Darius Miles
Demarr Johnson
Marcus Fizer
Chris Mihm
Jamal Crawford
Joel Przybilla
Keyon Dooling
Courtney Alexander
Etan Thomas
Mateen Cleaves
Jason Collier

Kwame Brown
Eddy Curry
Eddie Griffin
Kedrick Brown
Steven Hunter
Kirk Haston
Jason Collins
Michael Bradley
Joseph Forte

Jay Williams
Dajuan Wagner
Melvin Ely
Chris Wilcox
Marcus Haislip
Fred Jones

I didn't list Dunleavy or Gooden, but they didn't turn out to be anything special for number 3 and 4 picks.

non lottery
Curtis Borchardt
Casey Jacobson
Ryan Humphrey
Kareem Rush

Sweetney though.
Hinrich is average.
Jarvis Hayes?
Marcus Banks is a scrub
Collinson is average

Shaun Livingston
Devin Harris
Josh Childress
Luke Jackson
Robert Swift
Kris Humphries
Sebestain Telfair(sorry, he's one of my favorites but was another USA lottery bust)

Marvin Williams
Martell Webster
Charlie V
Channing Frye
Ike Diougu
Sean May
Rashad McCants
Antoine Wright
Joey Graham
Gerald Green
Julius Hodge

Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams
Randy Foye
Patrick O'Bryant
J.J. Redick
Hilton Armstrong
Cedric Simmons
Shawne Williams

Exactly, STFU.

The arguement isn't about who's equal to Shaq or any MVP caliber player even though its hilarious that before Kobe, the last 3 MVP awards went to International players in Dirk and Nash. That shits on your argument that INTL players can't be the most valuable player in the NBA, because it already happened.

America is the best basketball talent country in the world.
Right now, the best basketball team in FIBA is Spain.
USA has a chance to take that title and regain Dominance.

This isn't about USA vs INT'L because USA is superior in talent.

But you presented yourself in this thread as totally ignorant of INT'L players and most of the NBA for that matter. You should stick to chit chatting about the NFL.

Okur was Detroit's 6th man and won a ring with that team, you forget because you do things like that.
Ginobili, Parker, Restorovic were starters on a the championship Spurs. 3 INTL players out of 5 in the starting 5.

What else could I say really? You haven't proven anything, at ALL.

l_9d11905ea883418db30ccadcd758a8fb.jpg

Pricey

Rotation player
You know seriously if RUGBY was the man sport y'all like to claim it is....how come the NFL year in year out has more career ending injuries, even with all the padding?

RUGBY ain't shit! Only thing cool about it is the polo's!
NFL aint shit on rugby union or rugby league or Australian Rules. Please.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
most of those players had very bad injuries and werent projected to be great anyway, alot of overseas players are always to be projected to be the next peja/nowitzki/kukoc

metrocard

Legend
most of those players had very bad injuries and werent projected to be great anyway, alot of overseas players are always to be projected to be the next peja/nowitzki/kukoc

This isn't true.

Curry was compared to Shaq
Miles was compared to T'Mac
Richardson was compared to Paul Pierce

etc etc etc

Injuries are apart of sports.

If you're top 15, you're projected to be very good.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I like this thread... I think overall that the luster is off international players (finally)... it was another fad (kinda like the HS player fad before the age limit)... everyone tries to be smarter than the next GM... and some guys (ahem IT) outsmart themselves... also, being drafted in the top 15 does not mean that you are expected to be a starter Metro... Not picking sides with either camp really... but what constitutes a bust? failing to meet expectations? Failing the league? I think a bust should be any player who was taken when someone more talented was still available...

that being said... I don't think it's fair to call guys a bust who haven't been in the league for at least 5 years (Kobe, KG, JO didn't make an impact right away)... Let's analyze 2003 (international players in bold)...

1 James, LeBronLeBron James* (SF) USA Cleveland Cavaliers St. Vincent - St. Mary High School (Akron, OH) - Kinda disproved the whole age limit thing in the year of its inception

2 Miličić, Darko Darko Miličić (F/C) SCG Detroit Pistons (from Memphis)[6] Hemofarm Vrsac (Serbia and Adriatic League) - BUST Metro's right about his shotblocking, but he's a lazy shit and Larry Brown crushed his ego...

3 Anthony, CarmeloCarmelo Anthony* (SF) USA Denver Nuggets Syracuse - Never missed the playoffs

4 Bosh, ChrisChris Bosh* (F/C) USA Toronto Raptors Georgia Tech - Top 10 PF

5 Wade, DwyaneDwyane Wade* (SG) USA Miami Heat Marquette - Led team to Championship

6 Kaman, Chris Chris Kaman (C) Germany Los Angeles Clippers Central Michigan - Top 15 C

7 Hinrich, Kirk Kirk Hinrich (PG) USA Chicago Bulls Kansas - Had a bad year last season, plays solid defense and can run a team effectively

8 Ford, T.J. T. J. Ford (PG) USA Milwaukee Bucks (from Atlanta)[7] Texas - Being traded doesn't mean you're a bust (billups was traded like 5 times before landing in DET), sometimes, PGs need the right system to thrive (see Nash, Steve)

9 Sweetney, Michael Michael Sweetney (PF) USA New York Knicks Georgetown - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10 Hayes, Jarvis Jarvis Hayes (F/G) USA Washington Wizards Georgia - BUST

11 Pi?trus, Micka?l Micka?l Pi?trus (G/F) FRA Golden State Warriors Pau-Orthez (France) - Had trouble getting off the bench in GS... solid Defender and athleticism at the 2 spot

12 Collison, Nick Nick Collison (PF) USA Seattle SuperSonics Kansas - BUST

13 Banks, Marcus Marcus Banks (PG) USA Memphis Grizzlies (from Houston,[8] traded to Boston)[9] UNLV - BUST

14 Ridnour, Luke Luke Ridnour (PG) USA Seattle SuperSonics (from Milwaukee)[10] Oregon - solid, not spectacular starting PG... would be effective off bench somewhere

15 Gaines, Reece Reece Gaines (F/G) USA Orlando Magic Louisville - BUST

16 Bell, Troy Troy Bell (PG) USA Boston Celtics (traded to Memphis)[9] Boston College - BUST

17 Cabarkapa, Zarko ?arko Čabarkapa (SF) SCG Phoenix Suns Budućnost Podgorica (Serbia and Montenegro and Adriatic League) - BUST

18 West, DavidDavid West* (PF) USA New Orleans Hornets Xavier - Damn near slapped Dirk during the playoffs... a horse

19 Pavlovic, Aleksandar Sasha Pavlović (F/G) SCG Utah Jazz Budućnost Podgorica (Serbia and Montenegro and Adriatic League) - Stereotypical Euro, can score from anywhere, can't defend a photo

20 Jones, Dahntay Dahntay Jones (SG) USA Boston Celtics (from Philadelphia,[11] traded to Memphis)[9] Duke - BUST

21 Diaw, Boris-Riffiod Boris Diaw-Riffiod (SG) FRA Atlanta Hawks (from Indiana)[12] Pau-Orthez (France) - Shriveled last playoffs, but can handle, rebound, pass and score from the 3 or 4 spot

22 Planinić, Zoran Zoran Planinić (G/F) CRO New Jersey Nets Cibona Zagreb (Croatia and Adriatic League) - BUST

23 Outlaw, Travis Travis Outlaw (SF) USA Portland Trail Blazers Starkville HS (Starkville, MS) - started to improve last season with his young Blazer core

24 Cook, Brian Brian Cook (PF) USA Los Angeles Lakers Illinois - BUST

25 Delfino, Carlos Carlos Delfino (SG) ARG Detroit Pistons Uni?n de Santa Fe (Argentina) - Struggled for minutes in DET before a decent season in TOR

26 Ebi, Ndudi Ndudi Ebi (SF) GBR Minnesota Timberwolves Westbury Christian HS (Houston, TX) - Haven't seen enough of this guy to know either way

27 Perkins, Kendrick Kendrick Perkins (C) USA Memphis Grizzlies (from Sacramento via Orlando,[13] traded to Boston)[9] Ozen HS (Beaumont, TX) - found his grove working alongside KG, PP and Allen

28 Barbosa, Leandro Leandro Barbosa (SG) BRA San Antonio Spurs (traded to Phoenix)[14] Bauru Tilibra (Brazil) - the Brazilian blur... stunk it up last playoffs (like Diaw) former 6th man of the year

29 Howard, JoshJosh Howard* (F/G) USA Dallas Mavericks Wake Forest - my NBA hero... DTown's most versatile and effective player (except last playoffs)

so out of the 9 international players taken (not every international player is European)... only 4 (Pietrus, Diaw, Barbosa, Pavlovic) are not busts after 5 years in the league... 12 of the 20 american players were not busts... 60% of the American first round and 45% of the international players taken in the first round were busts... and this was a DEEP draft... one of the best in the last 20 years...

It doesn't matter where you start off... so much is required to help a player reach his potential... experience coming in... maturity... work ethic... team leadership... expectations... I think if you check draft history, you'll notice a similar trend of 45% success rates for every draft class... or about 25 players from any given draft year will have successful NBA careers

metrocard

Legend
Top 15 picks are projected to be starters, if not, they would be 2nd round picks.

Darko is a bust, but he's an average starter.

Pi?trus is a NBA starter and a great defender, stupid offensive player though.(Funny how everyone says Euros are compared to Dirk, Peja, and etc, why isn't Pietrus?)

Cabarkapa is a bust, no shit.

Pavlovic is a starter on one of the best teams in the East. He actually has become a good defender under Brown and Cleveland.

Diaw and Barbosa were steals.

This was America's best draft class in recent years, so its pretty unfair for you to bring this up and ignore the other draft classes I brought up.

But you still make good points, so I'll give you dap for that.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Sorry I didnt respond so quickly...like loose change over here...I actually have a life.

Peja...playing in the Greek league? Man that's like saying your the true National College Football Champions...but ohh wait Division II. Funny how his career playoff scoring average sinks terribly...from his regular season one.

Dirk Nowitski helped his team reach First German division? Too bad with all those leadership skills it could not equate to an NBA championship...when you had more talent, better players, younger players...and more in depth of a bench when you were the CLEAR FAVORITE. And then meanwhile same thing happens again..and you lost to an undersized team in Oakland..and kicks your ass all over the court.

Pau Gasol dominant in the ABC league? Once again, not real competition. Where was all this flair and great skills in the Finals? Kobe had to carry that shit by himself since they made the playoffs. And he was supposed to be the missing link to earn Phil another title.

Andrei Kirilenko...what have you done for me lately? Not a damned thing. You have no fire, no aggressivness. You have mounds of talent on the team, and yet everynight don't give it everything you got to help the team win. Maybe your wife is letting you have too many threesomes and you can't focus on basketball.

Manu Ginobil best SG behind Kobe? I'd say he plays on the most talented team in the West behind Kobe. If he did not have Tim Duncan to lean on...then you'd be able to talk. Because if you take away Duncan...he's not the SG you start the franchise with tomorrow as your starter. Maybe your 6th man. But not your starting SG.

Yao Ming just can't never seem to stay healthy enough to do anything noteworthy in the playoffs. Yes, grant you he has the numbers...but outside of that. Once the regular season is over nothing. And yeah, he's getting injured as per his contract states that he must leave Tracy McGrady to carry this club by himself when it counts.

Tony Parker..once again see Tim Duncan. Can name several PG's ahead of him now. Then again his game ain't been the same since he got married, which is always a jinx. So he get's a slight pass.

Yi Jianlian...jury maybe still out. But he hasn't had the Yao Ming atleast type impact in the regular season...you'd expect from what was he a 6th overall pick?? 3pt range..and all that don't mean shit in the NBA for a CENTER. That position is about banging and controlling the paint...ain't enough meat on that boy to handle it. Mehmet Okur has similar skills...and no one considers him a dominant Center just a well versed power forward who can shoot the 3 ball.

Shaq hasn't been TOP 5 for a while since he left L.A. really...but at the end of they day you know he's going to give you what he has got and not disappear like some of these European players, who give you all 82 games...but cant get it together for 16.

Luis Scola folded in the playoffs this past season. Shot damn near 10% less in the playoffs. The **** is up with that? And don't tell me that not significant to you. You are part of the same pussies..I mean posse that said having Marbury give us another 11% was ****ing huge!

Andrew Bogut...hasn't had a real impact. To be a #1 OVERALL pick....seriosuly even Milwaukee still ain't feeling him. Chris Paul has accomplished more than him...and they were in the same draft. Deron Williams, Francisco Garcia, and Monta Ellis..all taken after this loser.

You ain't wrap up shit. I'll be back with more.

metrocard

Legend
You always say the same thing.

He "folds in the playoffs"

First of all, we know you're unemployed. Only unemployed people try to convince others online that they work; because its important for them.

What do you know about the Greek League, you asshole?
Nothing, so shut it.

Dirk lead his team to the NBA finals and has been the best player on one of the best teams in the team in the last 5-7 years. He's succeeded more than 95% of the players in the NBA and is a top 5-10 player.

You're hating is played out and repetitive.

Once again, you know nothing about international basketball.

ACB is the toughest league outside of the NBA and Euroleague. Most scouts would agree, as well as many NBA GM's and Scouts.

NCAA basketball isn't even on the level of Euro-League.

Didn't a Euroleague team beat the Raptors last time?

Lakers made the Finals without their center prospect.

Boston was just too good, regardless. Lakers wouldn't be in the finals without Gasol.

"what have you done for me lately? "

You sound like a faggot in need of cock.

AK47 is still a good player, one of the best role players in the NBA.

Ginobili is the best SG in the NBA behind Kobe Byrant.
He's unselfish and can still dominate a game. He can play many roles for rip and everyone in the NBA knows he could put up superstar numbers if given Crawford type minutes.
For you to question Ginobili makes you a ****ing moron. He's suceeded in every league he's been.

Per 36 minutes he averages
20 ppg
over 5 rpg
over 5 apg
2 steals
45% FG
38% 3pt
+ Great defense.

Ginobili is a winner and one of the most exciting guys to watch in the league.

The **** you hating for? Did a bunch of Euros run a train on your mother to some weird ass Euro techo?
Calm the **** down with your emotional post, there is zero facts in your post.

Yao was definitely worth the number one pick, unlike a couple of other American bust pointed out in this thread.

Parker, top 10 PG.

Yi isn't a center, he's a SF/PF. Do your research.

Okur was a former all star, shut up.

Scola was a rookie and still averaged 14 and 9 for the Rockets.

Scola will be 15 and 10 player in the NBA, just like he was in EUROPE. Its funny because he'll average better numbers in the NBA than Europe.

NBA defense is more soft, where Euro has war-like rugged defense which reminds you off 80's NBA basketball.

Andrew Bogut just got signed to a nice fat contract by the Bucks, what you mean they aint feeling him?

5-yr/$60mm Guaranteed + $12.5mm possible bonuses

Could this be the first post in Knicksonline history where a poster is 100% wrong on everything he wrote? I think we have a winner.

You just wasted my time, everything you wrote gets killed by my first post.

You're probably the worst at understanding simple facts.

Look at the international guys without NCAA experience that have fully succeded in the NBA lately:

Predrag Stojakovic(NBA all star, one of the best shooters in NBA history) was selected in the 1996 draft, but come to the NBA until the 98-99 season. Previously he played with PAOK in the Greek League and averaged 23.9 points with very tough competition. He was on an elite team also.

Dirk Nowitzki(MVP, All star, Top 10 player) helped his team get promoted to First German Division right before being picked in the 1998 draft. He was the league's top scorer with 21.4 ppg and third rebounder with 8.4 rpg.

Pau Gasol's(All star, top 10 big man) dominance in the ACB(best league outside the NBA) League during the 2000-2001 season helped him earned MVP honours at the King's Cup, leading F.C. Barcelona to a perfect 9-0 record during the playoffs.

Andrei Kirilenko(All star, elite defensive player) was the MVP in his last season in the Russian Superleague. He averaged 19.2 points and 8.7 rebounds for Russia at the European Championships in the summer of 2001.

Yao Ming(Elite center, all star, best offensive center in the NBA since Shaq) had Chamberlain-esque stats in China the season before he was chosen by the Rockets averaged 32.4 points (with 72% on FG), 19 rebounds and 4.8 blocked shots, and lead the Shangai Sharks to their first CBA title.

Manu Ginobili(All star, NBA champion, probably the best SG in the NBA behind Kobe) won all kinds of tournaments; Euroleague, Italian league and Italian Cup) and MVP trophies before joining the Spurs in 2002(He was drafted in 1999). He led Argentina to a silver medal in Indiannapolis, making history after beating USA badly. Ginobili won a couple of championships also, making him one of the most successful basketball players in the history of basketball, winning a championship in every league he's been.

Tony Parker(All star, NBA champion, elite PG.
His last season in France with Paris Basket Racing (2000-2001), he only averaged 14.7 points and 5.6 assists. Not great numbers, but Parker always was scouted for his blazing speed. An elite athlete.

Here's the pattern.
Big accomplishers who are developed and contribute to their overseas teams and making them win against very good competition most of the time turn out to be very successful in the NBA.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Darko Milicic were benchwarmers in Europe. If anyone's to blame its the stupid GM's who draft these guys so high and draft proven guys like Parker and Ginobili so low. Bottom line players like those aren't ready and will never be ready to live to the expectation.
This strategy of drafting and signing immature European teenagers has backfired on many teams.

Andrea Bargnani will be just a taller Antwain Jamison without the rebounding skills.

He shouldn't be considered a bust yet.

Yi Jianlian got GAME and will produce in the NBA. He has post skills, can block shots, has freakish athlecism for a 7 footer, range from 3pt and loves to rebound and bang in the post.

Yao is # 2 behind Shaq? You don't even know your center rankings.

Dwight Howard is the best center in the NBA. Or Even Amare.
Yao was number 1 for a while also.
Shaq hasn't been the same and isn't even a top 5 center in the NBA no more, where you been?

Arroyo is a C+ level PG, undrafted. No one expected him to make the NBA and he still managed to produce respectfully in the league.

Luis Scola is a NBA rookie who averaged 14 PPG and 9.3 rebounds in the PLAYOFFS, you said he only does work in the REG season. Damn, you are wrong again, no suprise.
Luis Scola was another SUCESSFUL EUROLEAGUE player who made the all rookie team and will continue to be a very good starter for the Rockets next to Yao.

Bogut averages almost 15 ppg, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. Thats not bad at all, nor a BUST.

I bet if Oden was from FRANCE, you would be calling him out for being "Too soft" and use that for the reason why he missed the whole year.

You're trying too hard.
Not coming with the facts.
Failing miserably with each sentence you write.

Peja is a career 18 and 5 player and was drafted 14th overall...STFU. Theres more American BUST in the playoffs too, do I have to call them out to make a point? Not even you are that dumb to not realize it.
But I'm going to do that.

At 14th in 1996, Peja was selected.
The next year at 14th in 1997 Maurice Taylor was selected.
1998, Michael Dickerson was selected.
1999, William Avery was selected.
2000, Mateen Cleaves
2001, Troy Murphy
2002, Fred Jones
2003, Luke Ridnour
2004, Kris Humphries
2005, Rashad McCants
2006, Ronnie Brewer

Here's trivia for you.
Who was the best player at 14 in the last 10 years in the NBA Draft?
AN INTERNATIONAL PLAYER FROM YUGOSLAVIA :teeth:
Dude, 9 of those American BUST don't even combine together to have the career Peja had. I just pointed out more bust than you did in one simple point. You think I'm done? LOL...theres a reason why dudes avoid to get in debates with me here, the facts I bring are HEAVY.

1998(LOL majority bust)
Michael Olowokandi
Raef LaFrentz
Robert Traylor
Jason Williams
Bonzi Wells
Micheal Doleac
Keon Clark
Michael Dickerson
Bryce Drew

Jonathan Bender
William Avery
Trajan Langdon

2000(LMAO wow)
Stromile Swift
Darius Miles
Demarr Johnson
Marcus Fizer
Chris Mihm
Jamal Crawford
Joel Przybilla
Keyon Dooling
Courtney Alexander
Etan Thomas
Mateen Cleaves
Jason Collier

Kwame Brown
Eddy Curry
Eddie Griffin
Kedrick Brown
Steven Hunter
Kirk Haston
Jason Collins
Michael Bradley
Joseph Forte

Jay Williams
Dajuan Wagner
Melvin Ely
Chris Wilcox
Marcus Haislip
Fred Jones

non lottery
Curtis Borchardt
Casey Jacobson
Ryan Humphrey
Kareem Rush

Sweetney though.
Hinrich is average.
Jarvis Hayes?
Marcus Banks is a scrub
Collinson is average

Shaun Livingston
Devin Harris
Josh Childress
Luke Jackson
Robert Swift
Kris Humphries

Marvin Williams
Martell Webster
Charlie V
Channing Frye
Ike Diougu
Sean May
Rashad McCants
Antoine Wright
Joey Graham
Gerald Green
Julius Hodge

Adam Morrison
Tyrus Thomas
Shelden Williams
Randy Foye
Patrick O'Bryant
J.J. Redick
Hilton Armstrong
Cedric Simmons
Shawne Williams

2007...to be decided

2008..to be decided.

Diaw, Barbosa, Bell are all contributors on Phoneix.
Turkyglu won most improved player and has become the vocal point on offense for the Magic. He's a 20/5/4 player.
Nicioni has been the Bulls most consistant player, ask most Bulls fans.
Jose Calderon is one of the best PG's in the NBA, T.J. Ford could be considered a BUST since he was traded 3 times already and hasn't lived up to expectations.
Parker and Garbojosa are NBA starting material.
Spurs stock piled on international talent and proved you could suceed in the NBA with European style of basketball (rugged, defensive basketball with fundamental pick and roll on offense)

I'm a NBA/Draft/Int'l basketball guru, I follow this deeply since 2004. I come heavy with the knowledge and research, so if you want to actually make this is a debate instead of a slaughter, I suggest for you to step up your weight.

The **** you expect every non-USA guy to dominate the league? You're logic is the most retarded one I seen, on some real talk. No attempt to disrespect you, I respect your post, but I never seen anyone this dumb on such a topic.

NOW THAT'S A WRAP .

l_9d11905ea883418db30ccadcd758a8fb.jpg

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I only chose 03 cuz it was the closest draft class that qualified (5 years or more)... plus I didn't have time to research the other draft classes... but I know you get the point cuz you been trying to school these cats about it this whole time... regardless of where someone is born... talent, work ethic, maturity level, experience all play a greater role than country of origin...

and the top 15 players may be traditionally expected to be starters... but some times... teams drafting that high are drafting based on need and might be looking for a quality 6th man (don't overestimate the value of starting) or take the best available talent regardless of fit... sometimes... that talent doesn't fit a system... etc... but I do agree that the expectations of these picks is higher than the rest...

Since 03 was so exceptional... let's look at 2000... one of the worst drafts in the history of the draft (it should be noted that Mike Redd, Jake Voshkul and Marko Jaric all went in the 2nd round...

1 Kenyon Martin (PF) United States New Jersey Nets Cincinnati Sr. - BUST... should give JKidd 80% of that DEN contract... injuries, a shitty attitude and a lack of a post game killed him...

2 Stromile Swift (PF/C) United States Vancouver Grizzlies LSU Fr. - BUST

3 Darius Miles (SF/SG) United States Los Angeles Clippers East St. Louis HS (East St. Louis, IL) HSSr. - BUST... had some shine for a little while with the Clippers there... blew his knee out and currently out of work...

4 Marcus Fizer (PF) United States Chicago Bulls Iowa State Jr. - BUST... HAHAHAAHAHA

5 Mike Miller (SF/SG) United States Orlando Magic Florida So. - Rookie of the year... a deadly scorer... can light it up...

6 DerMarr Johnson (SG/SF) United States Atlanta Hawks Cincinnati Fr. - BUST... car accident ruined what was otherwise developing into a solidly mediocre career...

7 Chris Mihm (C/PF) United States Chicago Bulls (traded to Cleveland for Jamal Crawford and cash) Texas Jr. - BUST... a number 7? for Chris Mihm... I remember there was talk that he would be a top 3 pick before the draft too...

8 Jamal Crawford (SG) United States Cleveland Cavaliers (traded to Chicago with cash for Chris Mihm) Michigan Fr. - the kid's not a bust (no matter what metro says)... a revolving door of coaches and philosophies has stymied his development... would be "underrated" as a 3rd option or 6th man...

9 Joel Przybilla (C) United States Houston Rockets (traded to Milwaukee for Jason Collier and a future first-round pick) Minnesota So. - BUST

10 Keyon Dooling (SG) United States Orlando Magic (from Denver, traded to L.A. Clippers with Corey Maggette, Derek Strong and cash for a future first-round pick) Missouri So. - has struggled to find a niche/consistent playing time during his career... currently seeking another contract...

11 J?rome Mo?so (PF) France Boston Celtics UCLA So. - BUST

12 Etan Thomas (PF/C) United States Dallas Mavericks Syracuse Sr. - BUST... good locker room guy though... well spoken athlete...

13 Courtney Alexander (SG) United States Orlando Magic (traded to Dallas for a future first-round pick and cash) Fresno State Sr. - BUST

14 Mateen Cleaves (PG) United States Detroit Pistons Michigan State Sr. - BUST

15 Jason Collier (C) United States Milwaukee Bucks (traded with future first-round pick to Houston for Joel Przybilla) Georgia Tech Sr. - INC (I don't feel right rating a corpse)

16 Hedo T?rkoğlu (SF) Turkey Sacramento Kings Efes Pilsen (Turkey) 1979 - battled with Peja for the starting spot in Sac before winning one with Pop and the Spurs... currently the MIP in Orl...

17 Desmond Mason (SF/SG) United States Seattle SuperSonics Oklahoma State Sr. - BUST... winning a slam dunk championship don't count...

18 Quentin Richardson (SF/SG) United States Los Angeles Clippers (from Toronto via Atlanta, Philadelphia and New York) DePaul So. - was productive the majority of his career... busted with the Knicks though...

19 Jamaal Magloire (C) Canada Charlotte Hornets Kentucky Sr. - had a couple productive seasons... never became the beast he had the talent to be...

20 Speedy Claxton (PG) United States Philadelphia 76ers Hofstra Sr. - BUST... derailed by injuries

21 Morris Peterson (SF/SG) United States Toronto Raptors (from Minnesota) Michigan State Sr. - did you see him lighting it up in NOLA?

22 Donnell Harvey (SF) United States New York Knicks (traded with John Wallace to Dallas for Erick Strickland and Pete Mickeal) Florida Fr. - BUST HAHAHAHAAHAHA

23 DeShawn Stevenson (SG) United States Utah Jazz (from Miami) Washington Union HS (Fresno, CA) HSSr. - finally coming into his own after the battle with LeBron...

24 Dalibor Bagarić (C) Croatia Chicago Bulls (from San Antonio) Benston Zagreb (Croatia) 1980 - did he come over?

25 Iakovos "Jake" Tsakalidis (C) Greece Phoenix Suns AEK (Greece) 1979 - BUST

26 Mamadou N'Diaye (C) Senegal Denver Nuggets (from Utah) Auburn Sr. - BUST

27 Primo? Brezec (C) Slovenia Indiana Pacers Union Olimpija (Slovenia) 1979 - BUST

28 Erick Barkley (PG) United States Portland Trail Blazers St. John's So. - BUST

29 Mark Madsen (PF) United States Los Angeles Lakers Stanford Sr. - BUST... got a ring with the lakers... and that goofy white boy dance...

so there you have 28% (2/7) internationals who weren't busts... Hedo, Maglore... while 28% (6/21) US players (not counting Collier) weren't busts... this is just the first round...

but again I think it further supports the shitty talent scout theory when guys like Eric Barkley and Donnel Harvey are drafted ahead of Mike Redd... Damn... 2000 was a bad year... worse than 86? Maybe I'll investigate that...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I think 02 might be the best draft to use... since that was the last draft that the international player, high school prospect and american collegiate prospect were balanced in the first round... but that's for another post...

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer

I rest my case. "One of the best role players in the NBA"...yeah I'm sure they got him to be just that and pay him all that starter money for.

Let's see I've barely got 200 posts...someone else has got close to 2,800....

Here's a question for ya hotshot...how many PLAYERS in the HALL OF FAME...ARE INTERNATIONAL WHEN COMPARED TO AMERICAN??

There are 134 in as PLAYERS.

ONLY 3 Are FOREIGN.

NUFF SAID!!!11

Who is spending less time at an actual job again?

Didn't think so you mental midget, surprised Marbury let you out tonight.

Last edited:

TunerAddict

Starter

I rest my case. "One of the best role players in the NBA"...yeah I'm sure they got him to be just that and pay him all that starter money for.

Here's a question for ya hotshot...how many PLAYERS in the HALL OF FAME...ARE INTERNATIONAL WHEN COMPARED TO AMERICAN??

ONLY 3 Are FOREIGN.

NUFF SAID!!!11

Thats like asking how many black players were in the baseball hall of fame only 5-10 years after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier.

Pricey

Rotation player

ONLY 3 Are FOREIGN.

NUFF SAID!!!11

bahahahahahaha you will find most of the hall of fame members were before the influx of International flavour hit the NBA.
I thought this post was about International players being more hype then hope, not if you dont make the hall of fame u aint shit.
Im sure plenty of great American players aint in the hall of fame, who cares.
The whole title of the post has flunked, throwing out averages on why Interntionals are busts. Man more Americans have played in the NBA and been busts then Internationals. You will always have busts no matter where u recruit. Dirk is a gun, Parker is a finals MVP and NBA Champion, Ginobli is a top 5 SG in the league and NBA champion. This is all because the Knicks went with Gallanari and ur not happy cause u want a American playing for the Knicks. Man pull ur head out of ur arse. There was no one definitley better then him at pick 6, all possibilies only. The Knicks went with what would fit best in there game plan and roster for the next season. Let it be. If its not successful then thats fine and they should learn from it.