Big Cock impressing in practice

metrocard

Legend
The Roosteri can fly

By MARC BERMAN

LAS VEGAS - Mike D'Antoni was nice enough to invite the writers to tonight's summer-league practice, which included a scrimmage.

On the eve of the summer-league opener, all eyes were on Danilo Gallinari, who looked just fine. "Gallo'' (Italian for rooster) really runs the court beautifully and has an excellent handle, drives splendidly with the left hand. He can bring the ball upcourt without a hitch..

He should fit in very well with D'Antoni's run and gun offense. On one play, he went coast to coast, outran the defense for a monster stuff.

Donnie Walsh arrived in Vegas and watched Gallinari scrimmage live for the first time. The coaching staff is most impressed with Gallinari's court awareness, which can't be taught. He can definitely find the open guy. His outside shot wasn't money tonight, but everyone whose seen him the past two weeks says he can really shoot it. David Lee David Lee said today he may be their best outside shooter this season.

He is going to get banged around a little bit on defense his first year. He has to get stronger. But he's 19.

Meanwhile, Renaldo Balkman Renaldo Balkman could be out for tomorrow's opener as he got rammed in the jaw on defense after colliding Wilson Chandler Wilson Chandler driving to the bucket. He sat out the rest of the practice.

Stephon Marbury Stephon Marbury also was in attendance and did running drills and agility drills but didn't scrimmage. He ran some of the sets and played a little shooting guard.

Meanwhile, the Clippers are definitely trying to steal Zach Randolph Zach Randolph . Walsh doesn't feel comfortable just giving him up in a firesale to get under the cap. He wants a guy back who can play and, of course, whose contract expires before 2010. I disagree. I'd give up Randolph in a heartbeat for a second-rounder in the most important move that would get them under the cap. What would make the most sense is if the Knicks New York Knicks can pry a 2010 first-round pick from the Clips. The Knicks will lose their 2010 first-rounder from the Marbury trade.

Walsh said it best when we thanked him for letting us watch the whole practice. "This isn't top-secret,'' Walsh said.

In the past, everything in Knickland was top-secret.

Niiiiiiice

Trin_Starr

Starter
That's good news. I've been hearing rave reviews of both Gallinari and Chandler and they're both 20 and 21 respectively!

Trin_Starr

Starter
Going to be a new world, Fixers. Mike D'Antoni has already said he doesn't mind the media watching practice. In fact, he said this season he'd allow it if we wanted to attend.

Has the thaw officially begun?

As Ho-Beck said, "It's Glasnost."

The media was invited back tonight to watch the second practice, which was mostly scrimmaging and working on 5-on-5 situations.

First thing I have to say is Anthony Roberson's got a clip.

Dude missed one shot all day. He got off the bus on Friday and has done nothing but hit shots. While you're watching Gallo tomorrow, keep an eye out for No. 2, that's Roberson, a 6-2 guard from Florida. Had bids with Memphis, Golden State and Denver. Just couldn't stick. Might at the very least get himself an invite to training camp if he carries this over into games.

Can't stop being impressed with Gallinari. Summer League practice MVP. I mean we tawkin' practice! Berman's already got him as his early favorite for Rookie of the Year. But in all seriousness, he's definitely tougher than the usual Euro. Big Brandon Hunter, at 6-7 and 266, was banging him hard during the scrimmage and Gallinari kept going back at him. Foul. Foul. Foul.

Andiamo, Gallo!

Yeah, I know, it's not like he's being D'd up by Ron Artest. Just bloggin.....

Wilson Chandler is scraping paint off the ceiling. He had one ridiculous dunk on poor Paul Miller that started around the box with the ball way behind Will's head. Windmilled it through in traffic.

No N8 the Gr8 tomorrow for the game. The reigning MVP will show up tomorrow but won't play until probably Wednesday. Donnie Walsh arrived today and watched the second practice.

I tell you what I've had enough of seeing Danny Gans' face and Barry Manilow is always staring back at me outside my hotel window from this gigantic billboard hanging off the Las Vegas Hilton. But what is perhaps the most disturbing trend of ubiquity in this town is a girl named Sheri. She's on these little cards littered on the streets, on car windshields and she even has her own moving ad on the back of this truck that goes up and down The Strip.

Sheri or one of her friends can apparently be at your place in 10 minutes.

Apparently, Sheri needs you to donate clothes or something because she and her friends don't seem to have any.

Just bloggin....

Can't go out like that. i'll leave you with this anecdote:

Quentin Richardson took the mic for MSG Network yesterday and interviewed Gallinari. Some of you may remember I posted a video of Q-Rich's hilarious spot on Jimmy Kimmel from his Clipper years, when he rated his teammates' rides. If you haven't seen it, get yourself to YouTube and find it.

So anyway, Q sits down next to Gallo and asks him about this kissing routine the young Italian seems to have when he greets people he knows.

"Everybody I meet, I kiss them on each cheek," Danilo says.

Richardson seemed quite uncomfortable with this fact. "Really?"

Gallinari then quickly added, "But only the women."

"You and I will get along well then," Richardson replied.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/

metrocard

Legend
and Mayo, don't forget the future NYC boy

2ewekae.gif

metrocard

Legend
Gallo to me is already a professional, so he won't take long to produce because he's been doing it at a high level for the last 2-3 years.

That what sets Gallo apart from the other college freshman lottery picks.

Paul1355

All Star
i see wut ur sayin Metro but if u look at the crop right now wit Beasly who will start, Mayo will start, Oden should come back strong with a top team in Portland. And being the Knicks prob wont start Gallo at PF or SF with all the forwards we got...Mike D likes Chandler and Q Rich so they'll get the most playing time at SF, at PF Zach will start with Lee and Gallo comin off the bench for different purposes Lee for rebounds Gallo for some scoring. his first year 19 year old wont get as much minutes right now but in the future will be great.