Emeka Okafor on the market?

portega1968

El Cacique
Let's hear your opinions:

Do you think Emeka Ofakor would fit in nicely in D'Antoni's system?

Should the Knicks pursue a trade? (maybe a three-way with Miami, with Curry to the Heat, Marion to the Bobcats and Okafor to NY?)

Okafor
Lee
Chandler
Crawford
Nate

I've excluded Marbury because I believe he has played his last game as a Knick, but if he's still here come November, then slot him in along Jamal.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Should the Knicks pursue a trade? (maybe a three-way with Miami, with Curry to the Heat, Marion to the Bobcats and Okafor to NY?)

Okafor
Lee
Chandler
Crawford
Nate

I've excluded Marbury because I believe he has played his last game as a Knick, but if he's still here come November, then slot him in along Jamal.

Hmmm; Larry Brown is the coach of the Bobcats and the Knicks totally screwed him when he was here..... I am going to go out on a limb and say the chances of the Knicks doing business with the Bobcats is slim!
Now, business is business and if the Bobcats can improve their roster. they would deal. The key to your trade is Curry for Marion. First of all, we would have to kick in more salary to match Marion's, he didn't opt out so he is due a TREMENDOUS amount of money this season. Then we would have to sign Emeka to a large contract (to match Marion's) and is that something the Knicks would want to do. Remember, Emeka has had injury issues so you might be shelling out a lot of money for someone who in consistently on the IR list.
Also, is the Heat even interested in Curry?? It is well know that Pat Riley loves a dominate center but is Curry a Riley type guy? He has had Kareem. Ewing. Mourning and Shaq.... Does Curry give Riley his next great center??? Maybe if the Knicks sweetened the pot a little and added another player or draft pick.... I know that the Heat would have no problem dealing Marion but I am sure they feel they can get a quality player or players for him. I know his value has dropped this year but still a premier player. Also, do you see Larry Brown wanting a 6' 7" power forward and loose his defensive center at the same time? Doesn't seem like his style (when he has input). Unless they feel May can play the 5 or have another prospect; don't see it happen. The only way it might work is if there is no way Emeka is re-signing with them and they want to get something back for their efforts...

metrocard

Legend
I don't know how he would fit since his offensive skills are limited.

Defensively, he'll be an upgrade. He's an upgrade over than Curry and Randolph.

What would the Bobcats really want from the Knicks besides Lee and draft picks?

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Maybe the Bobcats would like to have Zach on their roster.
I'd like to see Okafor in NY, but I'd prefer to see Felton, great PG.

By the way, that's my 1st post here, I'm a longtime Knick fan and I'd like to spend some quality time here!:gony:

portega1968

El Cacique
Hmmm; Larry Brown is the coach of the Bobcats and the Knicks totally screwed him when he was here..... (sic).

(sic)The only way it might work is if there is no way Emeka is re-signing with them and they want to get something back for their efforts...

JUST WANTED T POST THE NEWS WHERE I GOT THE OKAFOR RUMOR FROM

http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/722943.html

Team could lose center without compensation in summer of 2009:
Bobcats, Okafor at an impasse
Sign and trade might be the next step
By Rick Bonnell

[email protected]

As things stand now, Emeka Okafor will be an ex-Charlotte Bobcat by the end of next season, if not sooner.

Negotiations between Okafor and the Bobcats are at an impasse, an informed source told the Observer, with the team offering less now than the $12million-plus annual salary it did a year ago. A restricted free agent, center-forward Okafor now wants a sign-and-trade to another team, the source said, and is not inclined to remain with the Bobcats long-term.

Okafor's alternative would be signing a one-year qualifying offer with Charlotte, worth roughly $7million, then becoming an unrestricted free agent in July 2009.

In that scenario, he could end up signing with another NBA team without the Bobcats receiving compensation for losing the second overall pick in the 2004 draft.

Bobcats management declined comment Monday through spokesman B.J. Evans. General manager Rod Higgins said repeatedly in Las Vegas during this month's summer league that his intent was to retain Okafor long-term.

This impasse is risky for both sides. The Bobcats could lose their best big man, the original cornerstone of the franchise. Okafor averaged a double-double last season (13.8 points., 10.7 rebounds), one of a handful of NBA players to do so. He also led the Bobcats in shots blocked (1.68 per game) and field-goal percentage (53.5 percent).

While he might not be the Bobcats' best player (Jason Richardson averaged 21.8 points), he could be the hardest to replace, as new coach Larry Brown recently acknowledged.

On a team traditionally hurting for defense and rebounding, Okafor is among the NBA's top goalies at the rim.

However, the risk is also Okafor's: If he's unsuccessful in coaxing the Bobcats into a sign-and-trade, he'd play next season for far less than the $12million-plus annual salary the Bobcats offered a year ago.

For the second year in a row, he'd risk injury without a long-term contract (although he was durable enough last season to play all 82 games).

Also, changing teams outside of a trade would sacrifice Okafor's Bird rights, lowering the maximum salary and guaranteed years a team could offer under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

Regardless, the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the negotiations' sensitivity, described Okafor as ?prideful? ? as in resolute.

If Okafor left, the Bobcats' best alternative at center might be Nazr Mohammed. Sean May could also be a factor inside, if he has recovered from microfracture surgery on his right knee.

Okafor, believed to be in New York this summer, could not be reached for comment.

In April, Okafor said he'd like to remain a Bobcat, noting he was the expansion team's first-ever draft pick. However, there were earlier signs he had misgivings.

First, he turned down a deal worth roughly $60million last October. Then, after a game in Utah on March 25 (his fourth straight playing less than 30 minutes), Okafor said he wasn't sure he'd remain a Bobcat.

He had a strained relationship with then-coach Sam Vincent, but firing Vincent and hiring Brown didn't change the contract issues.

Okafor is one of several high picks from the 2004 draft class who haven't signed contract extensions with their original teams. Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Childress is reportedly considering playing in Greece. Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala and Chicago's Luol Deng and Ben Gordon also remain unsigned.

portega1968

El Cacique
Okafor = double-double, blocks, high field goal percentage

f we have a shot at him, IMO, he's worth a long-term deal regardless of the 2010 under-the-cap goal.

portega1968

El Cacique
for those who like to dream, like me, here is the 2010 starting lineup:

Okafor
Gallinari
Chandler
Lebron
Ricky Rubio (or Brandon Jennings)

wake da**** up Pedro, ajjajajajaa

Paul1355

All Star

Okafor
Lee
Chandler
Crawford
Nate

I've always liked Okafor becuase of his defense in the post. He owned Curry that year that Curry scored 19 a game and was dominatnig the post but Okafor was the only guy i remeber that shut him down. Our main need is a Center ad Okafor fits it perfectly. He can rebound (10.7 rpg) and block shots (1.7 bpg) and can score in the paint (13.8 ppg). He's one of the top centers out there that we need: a shot blocking, rebounding, offensive post center. Thing are you willing to give up a guy like Lee for him? Or Nate? because one of those guys are gonna have to go in my opinion for the Knicks to get a player like that...but overall i think Okafor is perfect for this team.

portega1968

El Cacique
maybe Curry and Mardy Collins to Miami and Shawn Marion along with David Lee and a pick to Charlotte. Okafor and their first rounder (if available) to NY.

Maybe that way we'll luck into Ricky Rubio next year

metrocard

Legend
Honestly yo,

**** Okafor.

I don't trust that dude. He has had some serious injuries in the past that may hold him back from progressing in the future as a NBA player.

I rather draft someone like THABEET...I think he can be special.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Oakafor is dead weight. We're better off showcasing Curry. Just keep giving him the rock for the first couple of weeks and he'll get 23 and 7. That should be enough to increase his trade value.

i still dont believe any major moves like that or going to happen, no big names will be coming in here, maybe some role players with exp contracts, but no all star caliber players will be added onto this knicks roster.

pat

Starter
I think the only thing Okafor can do in D'Antoni's system is rebounding and making a quick outlet pass. I also believe he is way too injury prone. One of the main problems of the Knicks under Isiah was trading for the sake of trading. Getting Okafor would be exactly that. He might be a good defender and maybe he will even stay healthy from now on but honestly, I can't see him in a Mike D. system.

pat

Starter
Hes perfect for Mikes system, he is the defender we are missing

You don't need supreme defenders in the system if the main idea is to outscore the other team. Offense has priority and defense comes as a plus. To whom would you compare Okafor who has played in Phoenix? Kurt Thomas? His numbers clearly indicate that Phoenix wasn't ideal for him either. Just compare his numbers in Phoenix with those in New York. In the 06/07 season there he was only a starter in 13 of the 67 games he played because he didn't fit in the system.

If we were rebuilding with AJ, Popovich, Thibodeau, what have you, I would have said maybe. But with Mike D'Antoni on the bench, it would be a waste of time for Okafor and for us. But that is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Oakafor is dead weight. We're better off showcasing Curry. Just keep giving him the rock for the first couple of weeks and he'll get 23 and 7. That should be enough to increase his trade value.

I wouldn't exactly call Emeka dead weight!! He is a prolific defender, post player and he is still very young and developing his talents. The "Red Flags" with him is his knees and he seems to be somewhat injury prone. If you remember, his knees were shot during the NCAA championship, so they have to be even worse now! That's what is so amazing to me; that he can dominate the paint with sub-par knees. Still, if you can get him, you take him!!!
It's funny thinking about Curry and Okafor in the same trade talk; guys who are polar opposites! Curry is a dominate scorer, getiing double and tripple teamed every time he touches the ball.. but he is a below average defender (at best). Okafor is a dominate defender but his offensive game is decent at best.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think the only thing Okafor can do in D'Antoni's system is rebounding and making a quick outlet pass. I also believe he is way too injury prone. One of the main problems of the Knicks under Isiah was trading for the sake of trading. Getting Okafor would be exactly that. He might be a good defender and maybe he will even stay healthy from now on but honestly, I can't see him in a Mike D. system.

He is better than that!!! Getting Emeka is not like one of Isiah's bone head moves; trading Nazr for Malik Rose. The risk is signing him to a long term contract (Max of 6 years). If he blows out his knee after 2, you have another Allan Houston contract! I would sign him for 4 years with a team option for the 5th.
Also, it cracks me up with everyone assuming that Mike D is automatically going to the run and gun system with the Knicks. He was on here in NY with Mike and The Mad Dog and said that he only implemented that system in Phoenix because he took over such a small team; hence Marion moved from the 3 to the 4.... so on. Just like when Riley took over the Knicks. He was known as a offensive minded guy but the Knicks didn't have any dominate scorers outside of Ewing. So he did what any great coach would do; he analyzed the roster, made minimal moves to start off with and implemented a system that was tailored to the players; not trying to tailor the players to the system. It also helped that he had a great GM in EG!! So if Mike D is worth his salt; he will implement a system that the can leverage the current player's talents... If you can piece that together with this hodge podge roster that Isiah assembled!!!

Last comment:
Everyone questions Emeka being able to work in Mike D's system (if it is the run and gun), I have a question: How is Curry, Randolph, Marbury (if he makes the roster) Malik Rose and Jarred Jeffries going to work in the run and gun?? There is 80% of the Knicks salary!!!