Emeka Okafor on the market?

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Last comment:
Everyone questions Emeka being able to work in Mike D's system (if it is the run and gun), I have a question: How is Curry, Randolph, Marbury (if he makes the roster) Malik Rose and Jarred Jeffries going to work in the run and gun?? There is 80% of the Knicks salary!!!

how doesnt marbury fit the run and gun system????marbury from the streets man, the offense is park basketball, going up and down the court, shoot the ball if u open regardless of the shot clock, marbury should be fine in dis system

Paul1355

All Star
Injury=OUT...Thabeet is the shot blocker we need

Honestly yo,

**** Okafor.

I don't trust that dude. He has had some serious injuries in the past that may hold him back from progressing in the future as a NBA player.

I rather draft someone like THABEET...I think he can be special.

cosign. If Okafor is injury prone then he's off the list, i didnt know he had injury history. And Thabeet is the next Mutumbo or Ratliff with his shot blocking i cant wait untill he goes in the draft, Knicks better pick him up.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Emeka Okafor is too good to pass up on. He has injury problems, size problems, and weight problems, but his talent is undeniable. He's way better than Eddy Curry, so if the Bobcats want Curry and Duhon or Balkman for Okafor, I'm down for it. Okafor lacks offensive skills, but his rebounding and defense more than makes up for it. The Knicks have enough scorers to make up for his lack of offensive moves. We have Marbury, Robinson, Crawford, Randolph, Chandler, Gallinari, Lee, and Roberson who can score. The only thing that I would worry about is the salary. He's probably going to want a lot of money, and if he asks for more than a 3 year contract, I wouldn't do it. But if he accepts a 3 year contract, I wouldn't mind doing the trade.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
how doesnt marbury fit the run and gun system????marbury from the streets man, the offense is park basketball, going up and down the court, shoot the ball if u open regardless of the shot clock, marbury should be fine in dis system

Well then, why did they trade him when he was in Phoenix? Mike D's system that he was running when he was in Phoenix worked to a point because everyone was team oriented. They all had ball handling skills and distributed the ball. Remember when Marbury left, Joe Johnson flourished! That's why Walsh and Mike D will trade or cut him.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Well then, why did they trade him when he was in Phoenix? Mike D's system that he was running when he was in Phoenix worked to a point because everyone was team oriented. They all had ball handling skills and distributed the ball. Remember when Marbury left, Joe Johnson flourished! That's why Walsh and Mike D will trade or cut him.
The Suns traded Marbury for cap relief. They also dumped Penny Hardaway's massive contract on the Knicks, too. It had nothing to do with his ability to fit into D'Antoni's system.

Marbury is more fit for this run and gun system than Eddy Curry and Chris Duhon, so he deserves to be here next year. Joe Johnson was playing well, when Marbury was on that team. His minutes increased, and that's why he flourished in Phoenix. It wasn't because Marbury was holding him back. In the 02-03 season, Johnson only started in 34 out of 82 games. He averaed 27 minutes per game. In the 03-04 season, Joe Johnson started in 77 out of 82 games. He averaged 40 minutes per game. That's more of why he started playing better, and he actually started playing better while Marbury was still on the team.

pat

Starter
Also, it cracks me up with everyone assuming that Mike D is automatically going to the run and gun system with the Knicks.

I believe he will because he said so during that second quarter of the summer league game. If you are not sure yet what you are going to do, why pass it on to the media?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Mike D'Antoni said he was going to do a run and gun system, and so did several players on the Knicks, including Quentin Richardson, Nate Robinson, Stephon Marbury, and Jamal Crawford. I don't agree with the run and gun system, because I don't think we have players who are on the level of Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, and Steve Nash, but who knows? It just might work.

pat

Starter
Mike D'Antoni said he was going to do a run and gun system, and so did several players on the Knicks, including Quentin Richardson, Nate Robinson, Stephon Marbury, and Jamal Crawford. I don't agree with the run and gun system, because I don't think we have players who are on the level of Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, and Steve Nash, but who knows? It just might work.

Exactly. I am also not a big fan of run and gun. However if we are going to play run and gun I would prefer doing it without Okafor.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The Suns traded Marbury for cap relief. They also dumped Penny Hardaway's massive contract on the Knicks, too. It had nothing to do with his ability to fit into D'Antoni's system.

Marbury is more fit for this run and gun system than Eddy Curry and Chris Duhon, so he deserves to be here next year. Joe Johnson was playing well, when Marbury was on that team. His minutes increased, and that's why he flourished in Phoenix. It wasn't because Marbury was holding him back. In the 02-03 season, Johnson only started in 34 out of 82 games. He averaed 27 minutes per game. In the 03-04 season, Joe Johnson started in 77 out of 82 games. He averaged 40 minutes per game. That's more of why he started playing better, and he actually started playing better while Marbury was still on the team.

You are right, Joe Johnson's minutes increased after Marbury left but Marbury's style of play usually detracts minutes and development from the other players. Also, if you remember what was coming out of the Suns office when Marbury was traded to the Knicks; He's very talented but they wanted to go in a different direction. The same thing the Nets said when they traded him to the Suns. When you are using the "run and gun" system, you still need a QB to orchestrate the offense. That is why the Suns "shed" his contract. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but the Marbury deal was first explored by Scott Layden, but he didn't want to take on Penny's contract so it was never pulled off. Isiah was the one who came in and basically did what ever the Suns wanted to make the trade. So, even though the Suns wanted to part with him, they were challenged by his contract and they wanted something back for Marbury! Hell, they traded Kidd for him! Marbury had value at the time (and still has some now) but he was/is an enigma whereas he is a 6'2" player who wants to be the focus of the offense. I hate the run and gun system but it is still a structured system that has 5 moving parts. You can not have a ball hog or a player that has terrible court vision. In fact, the run and gun system needs a pass first PG more than the half court game!

Last edited: