Knicks Want Deng

metrocard

Legend
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/nba/blog/2008/07/deng_gives_bulls_deadline.html

UPDATED 1:23 p.m. A person with knowledge of the situation says the Knicks are one of several teams monitoring Deng's situation closely, hoping things will deteriorate and Chicago will be forced to consider a sign-and-trade. The Knicks don't have cap room this year or next, so a sign-and-trade is their only chance of getting Deng. Several teams with cap room next season are hoping Deng takes the Bulls' qualifying offer and will be unrestricted next summer, including Miami, Memphis, and Portland, according to the source.

The Bulls' position is that Deng turned down a fair offer last year, and they are making a lower offer this year that they also believe is fair based on Deng's production going down. Deng believes that the Bulls have as much information now as they will have two months from now to work out a long-term deal, and he will refuse to accept any more offers from them after Aug. 4. At that point, he'll decide whether to sign their $4.45 million qualifying offer or set a deadline for a sign-and-trade.

A couple of things to remember that could result in negotiations ending better than they did last November, when deadlines for Deng and Ben Gordon to sign extensions passed with no deals. The Bulls have expressed a willingness to get Deng signed long-term, and the dialogue with Deng's new agent, Jason Levien, as been more cordial than it was with his previous representative, Leon Rose. Plus, team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is more hands-on with the basketball operations than he was a year ago, which theoretically will raise the sense of urgency to resolve Deng's situation. The Bulls have leverage in the restricted tag, but they also can't make any more moves until Deng's status is resolved.

Positives
*Upgrade in talent
*Upgrade in trade value
*Upgrade in offense
*Upgrade in perimeter defense

Negatives
*Lack of range
2nd option/Shawn Marion type player

I wouldn't mind this if we don't give up a lot.

SG - Chandler
SF - Deng
PF - Gallinari

We'll draft Ricky Rubio next year...and get a center somehow, but it shows how close we can be from becoming a really good team.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/nba/blog/2008/07/deng_gives_bulls_deadline.html

Positives
*Upgrade in talent
*Upgrade in trade value
*Upgrade in offense
*Upgrade in perimeter defense

Negatives
*Lack of range
2nd option/Shawn Marion type player

I wouldn't mind this if we don't give up a lot.

SG - Chandler
SF - Deng
PF - Gallinari

We'll draft Ricky Rubio next year...and get a center somehow, but it shows how close we can be from becoming a really good team.

Metro, I don't know about you but I am tired of making deals with Chicago!! First of all, they will demand Lee in a sign and trade. If a sign and trade is possible, Deng will not be a Knick without giving up Lee. Do we really want yet another SF?!?!?!? Unless we can dump some SF's in return but then you will be giving up Chandler as part of the deal. Right now the Knicks #1 priority is a defensive 4 and a perimeter defender. If you plan on playing Deng at the 2, then we have to try to dump some of the guards and Chicago doesn't want anyone we have and what other team would want one of our guards so we could use them in a 3 team trade... Crawford is the only guard that has trade potential. Chicago wants a low post player, that is what they are looking for.

jpz17

Starter
Please don't mind me saying this Starburys, but I have an idea.....

If we do buyout Steph...

NY Gets:
Deng (sign and trade)
Heinrik
Gooden

CHI Gets:
Randolph
Q
Lee
Jefferies
2nd rounder

-----or--------------

Randolph
Lee
Jefferies

For

Deng
Gooden

Any thoughts???

I would love either trade, in the first one, if worse comes to wrose, we get a pg, sf, and pf

The second one is plain and simple.... we could dump Jefferies and dump Randolphs contract. But we would lose Lee..... Although, we would gain a SF and PF

I think Q will not be in any trades though, because I think D'Antoni likes him. Chandler, Q, and Gally are his players, face it

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I dont co-sign the idea of gettin a power forward. I see the Gallinari as a power forward if not right away then soon. Hes suppose to grow a couple more inches. I like the idea of gettin a center better.

After last year i would not had thought twice about luol deng. I dont think im right to think twice....the bulls had a bad year after making it to the 2nd round the year before. I like Metros idea....chandler-sg, deng-sf, gallinari-pf

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Luol Deng is a good player, but I don't think the Knicks should trade for him.
We already have Chris Duhon, Jamal Crawford, and Eddy Curry(3 former Bulls).

Most of those Bulls teams that Crawford and Curry played on were unsuccessful. Some of the Bulls teams that Duhon played for were also unsuccessful.

The only way I would trade for Deng is if the Bulls take Eddy Curry and Renaldo Balkman, or Eddy Curry and Mardy Collins. That way, we get rid of one of our Bulls players. If we trade Curry, that would leave us without a center, but trust me-it's better if David Lee or Zach Randolph plays center than if Curry does. He has no defense and no rebounding ability. Lee and Randolph have rebounding and inside scoring. If one of them gets injured, we could just use Jeffries. He lacks offense, but at least he can keep his man in front of him.

jpz17

Starter
Yeah, if we could trade Curry and Balkmen I would love that.... Drew Gooden is an expiring contract though, Curry, Q, and Balkmen for Deng and Gooden

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Yeah, if we could trade Curry and Balkmen I would love that.... Drew Gooden is an expiring contract though, Curry, Q, and Balkmen for Deng and Gooden
I don't think the salaries would match, though. Richardson makes 8 million per year, and Eddy makes 9.2 million per year. Plus, they both suck. lol In order to get rid of Eddy Curry, you have to either send him to a team that's desperate for a center(like the Bulls) or package him with one of our younger players.

Paul1355

All Star
Not surprising but very unlikely unless we give up a forward

The Knicks have been options for a couple guys this year and Chris Duhon, who was said to likely go to Orlando, wound up going with us. So hearing this news doesnt surprise me. I know someone said that there isnt a point in getting another SF unless we can give up one like Balkman or Jeffries even though i think Jeffires is more valuable due to his height to play a possible Center spot. If we get a guy like Deng who i do like and think has potential, he has to play a 3 and thats were the problem comes in, we have Chandler. Now Walt Clyde Frazier said he can see Chandler playing a 2 spot as well as the 3 spot and i think CLyde is a good basketball analysist. So if we get Deng then having Chandler at SG, Deng at SF, and Gallo at PF in the future seems solid. We cant get Deng and expect to keep all of our SF's. Balkman or Jeffires have to go period. We would be overlloaded with SF's that are unneccesary. Even though COllins played decent in summer league, people feel he plays different during the season so u might see him thrown in a trade as well. COllins is valuable becuase of his defense at the guard spot. If we can give up Collins, Balkman and a better player, for Deng and Gooden its a done deal. Have to give up a forward for Deng though.

metrocard

Legend
You guys are overrating this "too many SF's" thing too much.

Gallinari could alternate between SG/SF/PF

So can Chandler.

Deng is a pure SF.

If the deal is right, you do this.

Honestly though, the only players from the Bulls I want are Gordon and Noah, two NYC kids who would fit in nicely with this system. Gordon as a Barbosa type and Noah as a Diaw type with rebounding.

Congratulations on a successful trade.

Lee
Crawford
Curry
Jefferies

for

Noah(1 year)
Gooden(expiring)
Hughes (1 year)

Bulls
Rose/Hinrich
Crawford/Sefolosha
Deng/Nicioni/Jefferies
Lee/Thomas
Curry/Gray

Knicks
Marbury/Duhon/Robinson
Hughes/Richardson/Robertson
Chandler/Balkman
Gooden/Gallinari
Noah/???

McDonalds: Randolph, James

I'm not saying this will happened, but you get the idea

Chicago has nice trading assets and expiring.

I'm glad Walsh is eyeing their moves.

I wish we traded with Cleveland though, they're loaded with expirings.

metrocard

Legend
He has very good handle and range for a 6"8 slasher. It would be to our advantage since he'll be an oversized SG. Chandler can definitely play SG.

Gallinari playing PF would be to our advantage also because he could handle the ball as good as anyone on the team, stretch the defense, breakdown the d with his penetration and take his man out to the perimeter creating mismatches, problems and an open lane for our players.

Really, we have a lot of advantages with Chandler and Gallinari, two guys who could play 3 positions.

portega1968

El Cacique
we could do much better than Deng before 2010 and at the same time not resort to taking Chicago's leftovers again and again. Im not a marbury hater, nor a crawford hater, nor a curry hater, etc etc etc.

But you can call me a Bulls Hater any day.

metrocard

Legend
Same here.

But unlike past Bull players Isiah got, Deng is close to an all star and is only 23. Getting him would be really good in value.

As for the Bulls, Rose has serious health issues with his knees. Which is good for us, lets hope the worst for Rose and the Bulls.

jpz17

Starter
If things go wrong with Chicago the we have a good chance at getting a nice trade for us at the deadline, they will be desperate