Run and Gun?

What offense will the D'Antoni implement next year?

• The seven-second offense used in Phoenix

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • He will innovate and play to the strengths of what we have now

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

portega1968

El Cacique
Today in the Arizona Republic, the following was posted about D'Antoni:

"You know what? He's actually more detailed than people think," Kobe Bryant said. "I used to think playing against Phoenix that the players are just freelancing, but he draws all that stuff up, and he can have 10 options on one play. I've never seen an offensive mind like his. And I don't know any player on this team that doesn't think (he) wouldn't be fun to play for."

Which leads me to think something that has been kinda debated here but not approached directly:

Will Mike D'Antoni implement the run-and gun seven second offense or will he look to innovative an offensive scheme tailored to the strength's of the current roster?

One would think that with the signing of Roberson he may be looking at the 7sec, but then you look at the drafting of Gallinari over Bayless and may think otherwise (although Gallo's versatility will work in the 7sec).

D'Antoni has said in previous interviews (and I believe in the book about the seven second offense), that the offense was born out of the need to play to the strength of the players he had then (Nash, Marion and Stoudamire). He did not have this offense in mind when he arrived in Phoenix.

His genius is in his ability to adapt and not impose, and that's why I would not venture to say that he will force a run-and-gun on this team. They may be looking to keep Steph, Curry and Randolph for this season with the hope of playing to their strengths and up their trade value.

So what ya'll think?

metrocard

Legend
D'Antoni is definitely the best in the NBA at getting the most out of his guys.

Unfonately we have the most stagnant offensive players in the NBA who should be terminated from this roster.

Crawford
Curry
Randolph

Once all those guys are gone, our magic will begin.\

You guys saw how fluid our offense looked under Balkman, Robinson, Marbury, Lee and Richardson. Atleast these guys more vertistle games and make impact in different ways. I don't have a problem keeping them, except Q-Rich because his contract kills me. Q-Rich lost 15 pounds, so I'm giving him another chance.

But the 3 fools Isiah brought here for a shitload of cap space and lottery picks need to go, for ANYTHING or NOTHING.

Akamu

The King
He's always been selfish what are you watching? I am hoping he's gone before the season starts-

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Selfish: 1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2: arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others

That doesn't sound like Crawford to me. It sounds like someone who would abandon his team because he didn't get what he wanted.

Akamu

The King
I just go by what I saw, weather Isaiah had a thin playbook or none at all, he still could have found ways of getting the ball to other people in tight situations. It really pissed me off to watch him try and play a position he had no business playing.

I am just wondering what the starting line-up will turn out to be, innovation sounds about right with the crap we have-

Paul1355

All Star
Who else could be effective on offense?

And who else last year could effectively score besides Crawford, Zach, and Nate? Chandler was benched most of the time untill the end of the year so rule him out....Balkman, Jeffries, and Collins did horrible offensively last year. Q Rich shot horrible and then had his back problems so he was bad overall. Curry we know had a down year and no one wanted to pass to him. Stephon had his moments but then when the drama hit, then what hit was the shyt hittin the fan and Marbury had trouble producing and was throwin away passes and just had some really bad gamesand then got injured when he was doing decent. The chemistry was horrible which messed up most of the team offensively, WHEN CHEMISTY IS THE PROBLEM BECAUSE OF A COACH, BLAMING IT ON ONE GUY, CRAWFORD, IS FOOLISH. eryones gotta stop haitin on Crawford i know his FG% was bad and thats everyones main excuse but no one else could score besides Crawford, Zach and Nate. ALso Lee was decent on offense but did not help enough to always be effective. I think i ruled out most of the roster right there offensively.

Toons

is the Bo$$
selfish??? akmu, u sound like a bandwagon jumper now, how is crawford selfish, yet he is in the top 10 sg. assist/turnover ratio???

NBA Assists Leaders
RNK NAME GP MPG AST APG TO TOPG AP48M AST/TO
1 Brandon Roy, POR 74 37.7 430 5.8 136 1.8 7.4 3.16
2 Charlie Bell, MIL 68 24.0 210 3.1 76 1.1 6.2 2.76
3 DeShawn Stevenson, WAS 82 31.2 252 3.1 102 1.2 4.7 2.47
4 Tracy McGrady, HOU 66 37.0 387 5.9 160 2.4 7.6 2.42
5 Allen Iverson, DEN 82 41.8 586 7.1 245 3.0 8.2 2.39
6 Richard Hamilton, DET 72 33.6 299 4.2 132 1.8 5.9 2.27
7 Vince Carter, NJN 76 39.0 389 5.1 181 2.4 6.3 2.15
8 Joe Johnson, ATL 82 40.8 474 5.8 223 2.7 6.8 2.13
9 Jamal Crawford, NYK 80 39.9 398 5.0 192 2.4 6.0 2.07
10 Delonte West, CLE/OKC 61 25.1 229 3.8 117 1.9 7.2 1.96
11 Leandro Barbosa, PHO 82 29.5 216 2.6 117 1.4 4.3 1.85

from espn.com

Toons

is the Bo$$
can sum1 prove that crawford is selfish?? PLEASSSSSE SUM show me, cuz i MUST be watchin different games than u guys

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
its obvious, metro thinks for others on this site, crawford selfish now???u gotta be kiddin me man

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Crawford is selfish, he always needs the ball at the last minute, and he almost always fails

oh stfu, dat must be da dumbest statement to prove that he's selfish, u should be stripped from ur freedom of speech after that statement, in majority of cases the coaches put the players in dat position so its isiah to blame not jamal, besides believe in crawford so they give em the ball, whether u agree wit it or not, that's ur problem but the players believe in jamal

jpz17

Starter
We won 23 games with him as our leader, We made the playoffs with Steph
Owned.gif

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
We won 23 games with him as our leader, We made the playoffs with Steph
Owned.gif

okay, what u saying??marbury better then crawford???no f*ckin shyt, everybody knows marbury better then crawford as a basketball player, i just wanna kno how crawford is selfish

Akamu

The King
And who else last year could effectively score besides Crawford, Zach, and Nate? Chandler was benched most of the time untill the end of the year so rule him out....Balkman, Jeffries, and Collins did horrible offensively last year. Q Rich shot horrible and then had his back problems so he was bad overall. Curry we know had a down year and no one wanted to pass to him. Stephon had his moments but then when the drama hit, then what hit was the shyt hittin the fan and Marbury had trouble producing and was throwin away passes and just had some really bad gamesand then got injured when he was doing decent. The chemistry was horrible which messed up most of the team offensively, WHEN CHEMISTY IS THE PROBLEM BECAUSE OF A COACH, BLAMING IT ON ONE GUY, CRAWFORD, IS FOOLISH. eryones gotta stop haitin on Crawford i know his FG% was bad and thats everyones main excuse but no one else could score besides Crawford, Zach and Nate. ALso Lee was decent on offense but did not help enough to always be effective. I think i ruled out most of the roster right there offensively.

I never blamed it all on Jamal, however he is a big part of the problem with his poor decisions and non-existent defense, it was not only him that contributed to our horrible season. The coach couldn't coach, the teams overall defense was pathetic, Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry couldn't and can't co-exist on the court, Zach is greedy with his chips....

Anyway you could have trashy players on your team, but you can find ways to make even the worst players shine, he doesn't do much to make other players on his team better, that's out the window already. Point guards are suppose to make their team/players better and create opportunities.

selfish??? akmu, u sound like a bandwagon jumper now, how is crawford selfish, yet he is in the top 10 sg. assist/turnover ratio???

NBA Assists Leaders
RNK NAME GP MPG AST APG TO TOPG AP48M AST/TO
1 Brandon Roy, POR 74 37.7 430 5.8 136 1.8 7.4 3.16
2 Charlie Bell, MIL 68 24.0 210 3.1 76 1.1 6.2 2.76
3 DeShawn Stevenson, WAS 82 31.2 252 3.1 102 1.2 4.7 2.47
4 Tracy McGrady, HOU 66 37.0 387 5.9 160 2.4 7.6 2.42
5 Allen Iverson, DEN 82 41.8 586 7.1 245 3.0 8.2 2.39
6 Richard Hamilton, DET 72 33.6 299 4.2 132 1.8 5.9 2.27
7 Vince Carter, NJN 76 39.0 389 5.1 181 2.4 6.3 2.15
8 Joe Johnson, ATL 82 40.8 474 5.8 223 2.7 6.8 2.13
9 Jamal Crawford, NYK 80 39.9 398 5.0 192 2.4 6.0 2.07
10 Delonte West, CLE/OKC 61 25.1 229 3.8 117 1.9 7.2 1.96
11 Leandro Barbosa, PHO 82 29.5 216 2.6 117 1.4 4.3 1.85

from espn.com

A bandwagon jumper? I never liked Jamal, watching how he plays, he would be better suited as a 6th man then a starting PG.

If I had control of the ball as long as Jamal did and tossed up a bunch of horrid looking shots I would eventually have to toss a couple of bones to other people myself. He's playing as a point guard which he sucks at, has a horrible FG%, is turnover prone, his shot selection sucks, he had season high in his point averaging yet we still end up with a below 30 wins, not to mention his not so impressive defensive mind-set.

its obvious, metro thinks for others on this site, crawford selfish now???u gotta be kiddin me man

So if I happen to not like how a player portrays his game on the court and I agree with a statement that someone makes because it's relatively true then that automatically means I have no mind of my own? Watch the games and look at the stats.

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
A bandwagon jumper? I never liked Jamal, watching how he plays, he would be better suited as a 6th man then a starting PG.

So if I happen to not like how a player portrays his game on the court and I agree with a statement that someone makes because it's relatively true then that automatically means I have no mind of my own? Watch the games and look at the stats.

lmaoooooooooo, u tellin me to watch the games and u talkin about crawford starting PG????lmaoo, i got nothing to say