Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balkman to Denver (OFFICIAL)

Hybrid View

Trade Icon Balkman to Denver (OFFICIAL)

Basically the article says the Knicks would trade Balkman to the Nuggets for Taureen Green and Bobby Jones and then waive both players because they are making next to nothing.

I like Balkman but he hasn't really liven up to being a 20th overall pick not to mention the fact we have about 10 small forwards now. Still undecided i'd like to atleast get a second round pick.

Nobody respond by saying we should do the same deal with one of the JJ's involved because Denver wouldn't want them. Denver sees Balkman as a low risk high reward situation because he makes so little money.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The real main positive is that there are adding alot of cheap unexpensive pieces that can help make trades work.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Default Balkman to Denver???

K-Berg: Balkman on the outs?
    Check out my man K-Berg's blog for more details and of course check the print edition in the morning. Nothing imminent, but Berger heard on Sunday about talks between the Knicks and Denver Nuggets that involve Renaldo Balkman going to the Rocky Mountains in exchange for guard Taurean Green and forward Bobby Jones.

Though Green is a young PG with potential as a floor general, it's been suggested to me by someone in the know that both Green and Jones would likely be waived. If the trade went through as is, the Knicks would wind up with 17 contracts, two over the limit. But both Green and Jones are on one-year, non-guaranteed contracts that are easily waived with no salary cap hit.

Balkman has just one year left on his rookie deal ($1,320,960) with a team option of $2,036,920 for 2009-10.

We discussed it during the summer league here and I guess it rings true: Balkman seems like the odd man out here in the new regime, especially with the emergence of Wilson Chandler and the arrival of Danilo Gallinari. Balkman is a tremendous athlete who can play a decent energy/defense role off the bench. But I don't believe he has the basketball IQ to be successful in D'Antoni's offense. It may seem like a lot of running and shooting, but there is a great deal of thinking, anticipation and reaction that has to be done in order for it to work properly. You could see just in some practices and summer league games that Balkman was having trouble grasping it.

From the July 17th Blog: "Farewell to Vegas..."

His energy and athleticism are valuable assets, but Balkman might actually struggle in the D'Antoni philosophy because of one skill he hasn't yet developed: thinking the game. Renaldo is one of my favorite characters on this team -- you all know his Aw man, crazy is an all-time best quote -- but I've documented here before my concerns about his focus and mental approach to being an NBA player. Rey is a terrific athlete and clearly keeps himself in outstanding shape, which is a credit to his work ethic. But after spending the past few days watching Phil Weber install a few offensive sets that will be the foundation of what the Knicks do this season, it's quite apparent that if you can't think quickly, adjust on the fly and read what's happening on the floor, you're going to struggle here.

Again, the deal isn't done and it sounds like Donnie is involved in a lot of different discussions. This is one of a few, but one that makes sense.

It's essentially a way to dump Balkman's salary and cut the roster back down to the maximum 15 contracts after the signing of Anthony Roberson. Obviously there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to getting closer to cap compliance. As I said to a person I chatted with tonight who has some intimate knowledge of this potential trade, this kind of deal is very much nickel-and-dime compared to what really needs to get done.

Balkman had value after his rookie season...isiah killed it

Good. Get him out of here, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

Hope he has a plan B for the rest of his life. Let this be a lesson, stay in school.

I like what the new regime is doing. They are really dead set on "cleaning house" and bringing in young guys..

Quote from Newsday article:
    The real significance here -- unless you're all torn up about Balkman being traded -- is the fact that the Knicks would have 17 players under contract. That's two over the limit and a clear sign that they're gearing up for one or more significant trades.

The Knicks are involved in active trade discussions with several teams, so this could be an eventful summer. The way Donnie Walsh is amassing bodies suggests that he's positioning himself to do something big when the opportunity presents itself.
    I like Balkman, but if trading him helps us get someone better, then I'm all for it.

12th man

Originally Posted by Starks
    Good. Get him out of here, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

Hope he has a plan B for the rest of his life. Let this be a lesson, stay in school.

I like what the new regime is doing. They are really dead set on "cleaning house" and bringing in young guys..

It will be a big mistake for the Knicks, You'll see

Lurker

I don't really like this deal. I think Balkman would have fit well in the new system, and he was getting comfortable with the team itself..It better work out, or Donnies gonna hear it. Besides Lee, Balkman was the fan favorite

Default Check out why Balkman was traded

read this old espn news article it shows how signing Anthony Roberson meant that we had to drop one player and that player was Renaldo Balkman.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I doubt giving up Balkman basically for a 2nd round pick is going to break our team. Some of you are over reacting and being dramatic.

The people that are complaining about trying to trade away curry, zach, and crawford are the same ones who acknowledge its pretty hard to trade them in the first place. So how in the world are you going to give Walsh crap about not being able to trade those guys? Stop being a hypocrite.

12th man

^ Balkman was an asset. Losing him is a negative.

the 2nd rd is our choice of denver's or clipper's 2010 2nd rd pick, so it isn't as bad as I thought.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by jeckomaru
    I doubt giving up Balkman basically for a 2nd round pick is going to break our team. Some of you are over reacting and being dramatic.

The people that are complaining about trying to trade away curry, zach, and crawford are the same ones who acknowledge its pretty hard to trade them in the first place. So how in the world are you going to give Walsh crap about not being able to trade those guys? Stop being a hypocrite.
    I wasn't being a hypocrite, and I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Jamal Crawford is easy to trade, because his 20 and 5 for 8 million a year makes him very appealing. Zach Randolph is easy to trade, because he's a top 10 NBA power forward. Maurice Cheeks said that he wanted Randolph, and the Clippers made the Knicks an offer(even though the offer sucked, it was still an offer). Curry is not easy to trade by himself, but if you include Balkman and Robinson, or David Lee(i didn't say all 3, reread what I said) you could get rid of him, too.

I wasn't overreacting. This isn't the first bad move Walsh made. He also gave Duhon a 12 million dollar contract.
    He also drafted a small forward that nobody knows for sure how he will turn out, even though Augustin, Lopez, and Bayless were available.
    Stop being a Walshsexual. Just because his name is Walsh doesn't mean every decision he makes is a good one. Walsh is a human. He makes mistakes. This trade turned out to be a mistake, because Balkman could have been packaged with one of our big contracts.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

This trade makes no sense. Balkman was a good role player. I agree that packaging him in a trade with Curry or Randolph would be good but to trade him for a point guard? I'm surprised more of you aren't calling for Walsh's head! You like this trade but didn't like the Duhon signing? Why aren't the Knicks trying to buyout Jerome James? Now we have one less forward but another point guard. I grade this trade an -F.

I like balkman. He hustles and plays very hard. He has a good attitude. I also want him to do so well, not because Isiah "picked him way early" or "his ability to find talent" but because he was boo'd so much by us and he didn't deserve it.

At the same time, because we sit here behind the internet or TV screens most of us are not able to see everything else about Balkman that Walsh and D'antoni can see.

At least with a 2nd round pick we can get lucky and find someone with more to their game or even find another balkman.

Would I love to see Jefferies go instead of Balkman? 110% YES. Is it possible? Not very likely. Do we really need Balkman? No, we do not. We can live without balkman. His small contributions to defense will not make us champions.

12th man

Defense wins championships.
    We lost a major asset.