Balkman to Denver (OFFICIAL)

GetRealistic

Starter
Basically the article says the Knicks would trade Balkman to the Nuggets for Taureen Green and Bobby Jones and then waive both players because they are making next to nothing.

I like Balkman but he hasn't really liven up to being a 20th overall pick not to mention the fact we have about 10 small forwards now. Still undecided i'd like to atleast get a second round pick.

Nobody respond by saying we should do the same deal with one of the JJ's involved because Denver wouldn't want them. Denver sees Balkman as a low risk high reward situation because he makes so little money.

http://http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix285780524jul28,0,7410321.story

The real main positive is that there are adding alot of cheap unexpensive pieces that can help make trades work.

metrocard

Legend
Balkman to Denver???

K-Berg: Balkman on the outs?
Check out my man K-Berg's blog for more details and of course check the print edition in the morning. Nothing imminent, but Berger heard on Sunday about talks between the Knicks and Denver Nuggets that involve Renaldo Balkman going to the Rocky Mountains in exchange for guard Taurean Green and forward Bobby Jones.

Though Green is a young PG with potential as a floor general, it's been suggested to me by someone in the know that both Green and Jones would likely be waived. If the trade went through as is, the Knicks would wind up with 17 contracts, two over the limit. But both Green and Jones are on one-year, non-guaranteed contracts that are easily waived with no salary cap hit.

Balkman has just one year left on his rookie deal ($1,320,960) with a team option of $2,036,920 for 2009-10.

We discussed it during the summer league here and I guess it rings true: Balkman seems like the odd man out here in the new regime, especially with the emergence of Wilson Chandler and the arrival of Danilo Gallinari. Balkman is a tremendous athlete who can play a decent energy/defense role off the bench. But I don't believe he has the basketball IQ to be successful in D'Antoni's offense. It may seem like a lot of running and shooting, but there is a great deal of thinking, anticipation and reaction that has to be done in order for it to work properly. You could see just in some practices and summer league games that Balkman was having trouble grasping it.

From the July 17th Blog: "Farewell to Vegas..."

His energy and athleticism are valuable assets, but Balkman might actually struggle in the D'Antoni philosophy because of one skill he hasn't yet developed: thinking the game. Renaldo is one of my favorite characters on this team -- you all know his Aw man, crazy is an all-time best quote -- but I've documented here before my concerns about his focus and mental approach to being an NBA player. Rey is a terrific athlete and clearly keeps himself in outstanding shape, which is a credit to his work ethic. But after spending the past few days watching Phil Weber install a few offensive sets that will be the foundation of what the Knicks do this season, it's quite apparent that if you can't think quickly, adjust on the fly and read what's happening on the floor, you're going to struggle here.

Again, the deal isn't done and it sounds like Donnie is involved in a lot of different discussions. This is one of a few, but one that makes sense.

It's essentially a way to dump Balkman's salary and cut the roster back down to the maximum 15 contracts after the signing of Anthony Roberson. Obviously there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to getting closer to cap compliance. As I said to a person I chatted with tonight who has some intimate knowledge of this potential trade, this kind of deal is very much nickel-and-dime compared to what really needs to get done.

2ni89x5.gif

Starks

Starter
Good. Get him out of here, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

Hope he has a plan B for the rest of his life. Let this be a lesson, stay in school.

I like what the new regime is doing. They are really dead set on "cleaning house" and bringing in young guys..

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Quote from Newsday article:
The real significance here -- unless you're all torn up about Balkman being traded -- is the fact that the Knicks would have 17 players under contract. That's two over the limit and a clear sign that they're gearing up for one or more significant trades.

The Knicks are involved in active trade discussions with several teams, so this could be an eventful summer. The way Donnie Walsh is amassing bodies suggests that he's positioning himself to do something big when the opportunity presents itself.

I like Balkman, but if trading him helps us get someone better, then I'm all for it.

metrocard

Legend
Good. Get him out of here, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

Hope he has a plan B for the rest of his life. Let this be a lesson, stay in school.

I like what the new regime is doing. They are really dead set on "cleaning house" and bringing in young guys..

2ni89x5.gif

Paul1355

All Star
Part of Donnie's plan

Donnie's plannin on lowering the roster number with this and Balkman as i said before has concluded to be trade bait. On 1050 ESPN they were sayin how Balkman is known to complain if he doesnt get playing time, even though Isiah played him 14.6 min per game last season which i thought was too much for him. I think as Getrealistic said we should get a draft pick out of this and if we cant then its just Donnie's plan to get rid of players that prob wont even play.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Done deal - trade completed

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10022789

It's a sad day....a true dreadlock hustler is gone.

In efforts to improve their defense, the Nuggets have traded for Knicks forward Renaldo Balkman, a source confirmed.

The Nuggets traded seldom-used guards Taurean Green and Bobby Jones, as well as a future second rounder, in exchange for the 6-foot-8 Balkman and $575,000.

Balkman, who turned 24 this month, averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds last season, but is noted for his hustle and aggressive defensive play. Denver hopes Balkman can crack its rotation in the near future.

Trin_Starr

Starter
A 2nd rounder ain't shit - you get those like nothing.
Balkman could have been a good piece to package with zach.
Donnie Walsh better have a good ****ing plan.

So we basically gave balkman to denver plus a 1/2 million dollar gift for 2 scrubs we are gonna waive...

nyk24

Rookie
I like this idea. As much as I like Balkman's energy and hustle, he doesnt have a very high basketball IQ. I'd rather him flourish somewhere else than to struggle in D'Antoni's offense and pretty much put the team in a worse position that it has to be.

KBlack25

Starter
Hate it. This guy showed heart and hustle and a desire to play for a team whose fans (us) booed him mercilessly and vilified the pick without end. That's class. A lot of these guys would hear the boos, read the news and say "F*** it, if they don't want me here I won't play."

Balkman played, he played his heart out. And at #20 overall in the draft, you can't ask for much more picking at that position. He will be missed.

Akamu

The King
I liked Balkman but sometimes you gotta make scarifices in order to move forward, I just wish it was camby coming back here instead of settling with this kinda deal. Walsh should be pushing for a center! maldita! Lol!

Well lets try an look at this from the bright side. This ould be a step in the direction of Walsh pulling off a few miracle trades and getting us some pretty decent talent in return.

It better be cause I really liked Balkman (no homo). Dude played hard everytime he stepped on the court for us and was just an all out balls to the wall hustle man. Hope he does well in denver...