Balkman to Denver (OFFICIAL)

Blas

Benchwarmer
I doubt giving up Balkman basically for a 2nd round pick is going to break our team. Some of you are over reacting and being dramatic.

The people that are complaining about trying to trade away curry, zach, and crawford are the same ones who acknowledge its pretty hard to trade them in the first place. So how in the world are you going to give Walsh crap about not being able to trade those guys? Stop being a hypocrite.

metrocard

Legend
^ Balkman was an asset. Losing him is a negative.

the 2nd rd is our choice of denver's or clipper's 2010 2nd rd pick, so it isn't as bad as I thought.

Blas

Benchwarmer
I like balkman. He hustles and plays very hard. He has a good attitude. I also want him to do so well, not because Isiah "picked him way early" or "his ability to find talent" but because he was boo'd so much by us and he didn't deserve it.

At the same time, because we sit here behind the internet or TV screens most of us are not able to see everything else about Balkman that Walsh and D'antoni can see.

At least with a 2nd round pick we can get lucky and find someone with more to their game or even find another balkman.

Would I love to see Jefferies go instead of Balkman? 110% YES. Is it possible? Not very likely. Do we really need Balkman? No, we do not. We can live without balkman. His small contributions to defense will not make us champions.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
i would be pissed if we didnt get a second round pick...but i think we shoulda went after camby. Its unclear at this point what direction donnie is bringing us in so i cant complain yet. All i know is we had a chance to dump off z-bo's contract and we traded balkman for 2 bums and a 2nd round pick. I remember ron artest sayin before last season that he liked balkmans game and he wouldnt trade him for himself if he was a gm. I wish balkman good luck and ill always be a fan of his.

I nominate Starbury for the forum header!

co-sign

We did get a pick out of the deal so it's not as bad as I first thought. I seriously doubt that jones will be on the roster for more then a month from now. I kinda like green just cuzza the program he's coming from- he was with Florida. idk why it was balkman that got traded and not q-rich. but now we should be able to package bobby jones in with a big contract guy like JJ #1 or 2, curry or zach. I also wouldn't mind dealing Nate if it means getting a franchise player.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I doubt giving up Balkman basically for a 2nd round pick is going to break our team. Some of you are over reacting and being dramatic.

The people that are complaining about trying to trade away curry, zach, and crawford are the same ones who acknowledge its pretty hard to trade them in the first place. So how in the world are you going to give Walsh crap about not being able to trade those guys? Stop being a hypocrite.
I wasn't being a hypocrite, and I have no idea what you're talking about.
Jamal Crawford is easy to trade, because his 20 and 5 for 8 million a year makes him very appealing. Zach Randolph is easy to trade, because he's a top 10 NBA power forward. Maurice Cheeks said that he wanted Randolph, and the Clippers made the Knicks an offer(even though the offer sucked, it was still an offer). Curry is not easy to trade by himself, but if you include Balkman and Robinson, or David Lee(i didn't say all 3, reread what I said) you could get rid of him, too.

I wasn't overreacting. This isn't the first bad move Walsh made. He also gave Duhon a 12 million dollar contract.
He also drafted a small forward that nobody knows for sure how he will turn out, even though Augustin, Lopez, and Bayless were available.
Stop being a Walshsexual. Just because his name is Walsh doesn't mean every decision he makes is a good one. Walsh is a human. He makes mistakes. This trade turned out to be a mistake, because Balkman could have been packaged with one of our big contracts.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This trade makes no sense. Balkman was a good role player. I agree that packaging him in a trade with Curry or Randolph would be good but to trade him for a point guard? I'm surprised more of you aren't calling for Walsh's head! You like this trade but didn't like the Duhon signing? Why aren't the Knicks trying to buyout Jerome James? Now we have one less forward but another point guard. I grade this trade an -F.

Allen

Benchwarmer
This trade doesn't make sense to me. For one, walsh did this for a salary dump and cap space so why didn't he trade randolph for cap space. He's one of our worse contracts. He should have traded him and gotten a 2nd rd pick before trading balkman for the same thing. This trade is just nonsensical to me.

Paul1355

All Star
Defense wins championships.
We lost a major asset.

dont agree...he wasnt going to get alot of playing time with all the forwards anyways as much as you like Balkman. ESPN also reported that he is known to whine alot about playing time so i guess Donnie thought that we dont need a bench guy complaining so he got rid of him and these two guys in return wont ever put on a Knicks jersey, there gonna get released. This was basically for roster space and a pick. After getting Roberson we had to let a guy go. Defense does win championchips but Chandler and Q Rich can also play D and theyd prob take most of the SF minutes away from Balkman.

jzero29

Rotation player
Defense

metro, we can hopefully get a defensive guy who can play offense, balkman wasn't that guy. Basically, we ditched him for a second round pick, i guess thats worth it, hopefully it will be an early second rounder.
allen, it's hard to trade a 17mill contract because we'd have to get around 17 mill back. so it makes sense, get these two scrubs release them, and now you have a roster of 15 and a second round pick to replace balkman in the future.
You have to admire his hustle but balkman can be replaced by a second rounder, maybe even a defensive guy, who actually has an offensive upside.

nyk24

Rookie
Yeah, but one guy on defense wasn't going to get us any rings. Balkman was one dimensional. He had no offensive game. At the very least, every good defensive player in the NBA has some offensive game. Look at Bruce Bowen. He's a perfect example. Hes not as talented as a lot of guys in the NBA and he certainly makes up for it with defense, but he also has a good perimeter jumper. In other words, he brings more than his defense to the table.

And let's be real. Balkman should have been a second round pick anyway. So we're just getting back what we used on him.

jzero29

Rotation player
We did get a pick out of the deal so it's not as bad as I first thought. I seriously doubt that jones will be on the roster for more then a month from now. I kinda like green just cuzza the program he's coming from- he was with Florida. idk why it was balkman that got traded and not q-rich. but now we should be able to package bobby jones in with a big contract guy like JJ #1 or 2, curry or zach. I also wouldn't mind dealing Nate if it means getting a franchise player.
its a money thing for Q rich makes way more then balkman, the slaries would be to lopsided.
Do you think anyone would trade us a Franchise player for Nate??? again I like him, but he's not that caliber of player, hopefully he can continue to be the spark plug he has been.

Like i've said before, balkman can be replaced, I liked him a lot, But a defensive second rounder, with an actual offensive upside, isn't far fetched.

CoolClyde

Shalom Balkmania

I had Balkmania, but I understand this deal. Balkman was all hustle, no offense. no biggie losing him. Chandler's coming out and Big C*ck's signing made him expendable. We got 2 players who are not bad at all (esp TaureanG, part of a college champ squad), and can be used as trade fodder, and our choice of Clips or Nuggets 2nd round pick... I applaude the deal, Donnie! D'Ant is looking for shooters (Roberson) and ridding team of non-shooters...the end of Balkmania as we know it... could Lee be next? I hopes not! #42 gets better each year.
Walsh/D'Ant are slowly moving pieces, and molding this new Knick squad. Hopefully we'll lose the JJ's, trade Zach Randolph (preferably for a Camby-type center), trade Collins and Rose. Plenty of room for better players. Keep Taurean Green for 3rd team. Give Starbury a chance to play out his contract, he's got more skills than most, who can deny? I can feel the team getting better... what's next Donnie???
GO KNICKS GO NATE GO LEE

Last edited:

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Ok, Donnie Walsh has not done anything, and for anyone who thinks he has I have to respectfully or disrespectfully (depending on the person) disagree... He drafted a small forward, of which we had an abundent. he picked up another shoot first "point guard" and a career backup in Duhon, so that makes Marbury, Collins, Roberson, Robinson and Duhon, exactly how many point guards does a team need??, he hired a head coach who lacked any semblence of care about defense, the main thing which the Knicks needed the past couple of years. And like a couple of persons have pointed out so far, for a man who wants to get under the cap, trading Balkman isn't gonna do the trick, he could have pulled the trigger on the Randolph trade, hesitated and now we are flucked...

I for one like Isiah, but understood he had to go, but SO FAR, Donnie Walsh hasn't provided a hint of anything that will help the knicks win any more games.

Toons

is the Bo$$
this was a great trade, i rate it a b....all the comments about moving zach n corry make no sense, the only way we can move those hefty contracts are to eat them, and that night we buy out zach, another team will pick him up, and donnie will look worse than thomas. stop whining about balkman, yeah he hustled, but he got beat on defense a lot too....he is all defense, zero offense....by your standards, i can hate balkman because he cant hit a jumper if his life depended on it, seeing how we all hate crawford and curry for no defense.....gallo, chandler and qrich will provide the balance at sf. balkman was good on defense, but he is no bruce bowen. lets get to reality here.....he wont win denver a ring, and he wont win us a ring.....the other guards will be bought out, our pg rotation will be marbury, roberson and duhon, sg, will be nate and crawford, sf will be gallo, q, chandler, (jeffeies needs to be traded in similar balkman fashion) pf, zach, lee, center, james and curry...if our team is healthy and develops chemestry, i even see jerome james being a contributer

metrocard

Legend
this was a great trade, i rate it a b....all the comments about moving zach n corry make no sense, the only way we can move those hefty contracts are to eat them, and that night we buy out zach, another team will pick him up, and donnie will look worse than thomas. stop whining about balkman, yeah he hustled, but he got beat on defense a lot too....he is all defense, zero offense....by your standards, i can hate balkman because he cant hit a jumper if his life depended on it, seeing how we all hate crawford and curry for no defense.....gallo, chandler and qrich will provide the balance at sf. balkman was good on defense, but he is no bruce bowen. lets get to reality here.....he wont win denver a ring, and he wont win us a ring.....the other guards will be bought out, our pg rotation will be marbury, roberson and duhon, sg, will be nate and crawford, sf will be gallo, q, chandler, (jeffeies needs to be traded in similar balkman fashion) pf, zach, lee, center, james and curry...if our team is healthy and develops chemestry, i even see jerome james being a contributer

Wow.
Worst post in the thread.
Congrats.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
balkman's offense wasnt that bad or im i buggin?? cuz what i saw was a player who can rebound the ball and lead the fastbreak with no problem , had a very good handle and a good passer, from what i see defense is not a priorioty cuz balkman was a player who can guard any position(ask yao ming) and plus this was suppose to be a team that runs, well balkman had no problems finishing a fastbreak wit a thunderous dunk, i dont like the deal at all when sac town was askin for balkman for artest