Artest already wearing out his welcome

Starks

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3512419

So Yao says:

"Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands,"

And Ron Ron fires back with:

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto,"
That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture

Ron Ron then says:

"I guess once Yao Ming approves [the deal], I'll be a Houston Rocket," Artest said, according to the report. "[Yao] probably should've called me first. But at the same time, it's Yao Ming's team."

"Whatever Yao Ming wants me to do, I'll be there. Whatever Tracy McGrady tells me to do, that's how it's going to go down. Ultimately, whatever [Rockets] coach Rick Adelman tells me to do is exactly what I'm going to do."

And that my friends is EXACTLY why I never wanted him here. Not 1 minute of playing time and the lockeroom is already divided, maybe even by culture.

Chinese vs Blacks
International guys vs. ghetto guys.
ghetto guys vs. Blacks
Tmac in the middle
Adelman in the middle

Beign ghetto is nothing to celebrate. It's about being educated, upstanding, and proffessional.

If Ron wasn't a basketball player, I'm certain his "ghetto-ness" wouldn;t take him to far in life.

Sooner or later, we all learn to grow up and act like adults. Me being from the Bronx, I find it heartbreaking when people i grew up with never make anything out of their life just because they can't even figure out how to dress and talk.

Then they get mad at me for having my own apt, car, serious job, and having "classy" girls around me. I take this stff personal becuase i had too many friendships cut off because of dudes acting like 10 year olds when they are in their 20s and should be out of their mom's house. Thanks Ron, you set a great example

Thank god this headache isn't here. The media would make Stephon seem like Barak Obama compared to this retarted freak

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is hilarious, why would Yao even make that comment???? Artest has moved on from that incident for a couple years now. I hate when people don't allow others to turn the page in their lives. Obviously Ron's major concern was coming to the team to help them win as much as possible, but Yao has to focus on the negative. It's now up to T-Mac to diffuse the situation before the media turns this into a soap opera.

Gee thanks Yao!

P.S. - This post should be in the NBA section.

TunerAddict

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3512419

So Yao says:

"Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands,"

And Ron Ron fires back with:

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto,"
That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture

Ron Ron then says:

"I guess once Yao Ming approves [the deal], I'll be a Houston Rocket," Artest said, according to the report. "[Yao] probably should've called me first. But at the same time, it's Yao Ming's team."

"Whatever Yao Ming wants me to do, I'll be there. Whatever Tracy McGrady tells me to do, that's how it's going to go down. Ultimately, whatever [Rockets] coach Rick Adelman tells me to do is exactly what I'm going to do."

And that my friends is EXACTLY why I never wanted him here. Not 1 minute of playing time and the lockeroom is already divided, maybe even by culture.

Chinese vs Blacks
International guys vs. ghetto guys.
ghetto guys vs. Blacks
Tmac in the middle
Adelman in the middle

Beign ghetto is nothing to celebrate. It's about being educated, upstanding, and proffessional.

If Ron wasn't a basketball player, I'm certain his "ghetto-ness" wouldn;t take him to far in life.

Sooner or later, we all learn to grow up and act like adults. Me being from the Bronx, I find it heartbreaking when people i grew up with never make anything out of their life just because they can't even figure out how to dress and talk.

Then they get mad at me for having my own apt, car, serious job, and having "classy" girls around me. I take this stff personal becuase i had too many friendships cut off because of dudes acting like 10 year olds when they are in their 20s and should be out of their mom's house. Thanks Ron, you set a great example

Thank god this headache isn't here. The media would make Stephon seem like Barak Obama compared to this retarted freak

Cosign. Culture wise we have been glamorizing being 'ghetto' when its really a negative attribute.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Its wasn't stupid and it wasn't ignorant.

Yao was sending a message to Artest letting him know that he is under the microscope. Yao also didn't say anything that was not correct. Artest has been a problem and he still is a problem. Matter of fact Artest just confirmed what Yao was afraid of by his comments.

Kiyaman

Legend

Yao was sending a message to Artest letting him know that he is under the microscope. Yao also didn't say anything that was not correct. Artest has been a problem and he still is a problem. Matter of fact Artest just confirmed what Yao was afraid of by his comments.

It was stupid and most of all ignorant.
Plus out of place for an international Chinese Player to say to the Press about something that happen 4 years ago.
There is no justification or apologies that can be made about Yao personal feelings towards Artest.

The Rockets did three times better last season without Yao on the team.
Players like Scola, Battier, Mutombo, and Hayes stepped up their effort in the frontcourt, while Alston, Jackson, Wells, and T-Mac picked up the speed in their transition game without Yao half-court game slowing things down.
I beleive the Rockets went on a 17 game winning streak without Yao.
Would it been apropriate for Ron Artest to bring that up to the press?

Blas

Benchwarmer
It was stupid and most of all ignorant.
Plus out of place for an international Chinese Player to say to the Press about something that happen 4 years ago.
There is no justification or apologies that can be made about Yao personal feelings towards Artest.

The Rockets did three times better last season without Yao on the team.
Players like Scola, Battier, Mutombo, and Hayes stepped up their effort in the frontcourt, while Alston, Jackson, Wells, and T-Mac picked up the speed in their transition game without Yao half-court game slowing things down.
I beleive the Rockets went on a 17 game winning streak without Yao.
Would it been apropriate for Ron Artest to bring that up to the press?

What do you mean it is out of place for an international player to talk about what happened 4 years ago? So are you saying if T-mac talked about it, it would be ok? International players aren't allowed to talk about past embarrassing basketball events?

And why does Yao have to apologize how he feels about Artest? Artest isn't even a rocket yet. He obviously is leary about him and he has every reason to feel that way.

And so what if Artest brought up the rockets performance without Yao. Yao didn't talk about Artest's skill or talent. He talked about his attitude. I rather Artest bring that up then what he said.

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
it might not be the best professionalism but he's real thats why i like him and he got tons of heart maybe not tons of thinking but has great heart ... players like him just don't come along very often ones like Iverson, Artest Barkley (not really but he speaks his mind )

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I'd like to bring an upper middle class white guy's perspective to this.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, where you came from etc... I came from a lower middle class blue collar family that barely made ends meet. I wore hand me down clothes, rarely went on vacation, always had a broken down car etc.... I'm proud of that. Now I'm fairly well off and I'm proud of that.

However, in the end there is a level of professionalism, a kind of behavior, set of values etc... that is ultimately appropriate. I always remain true to myself, but I adjust a bit at the edges depending on whether I am in a room full of bankers or a room full of pool hustlers. If you don't learn, mature, adjust, etc.... you hurt yourself as well as those around you. Guys like Artest (and others who shall remain nameless) never grew up, matured, and learned how to behave.

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

:no:

What do you mean it is out of place for an international player to talk about what happened 4 years ago? So are you saying if T-mac talked about it, it would be ok? International players aren't allowed to talk about past embarrassing basketball events?

And why does Yao have to apologize how he feels about Artest? Artest isn't even a rocket yet. He obviously is leary about him and he has every reason to feel that way.

And so what if Artest brought up the rockets performance without Yao. Yao didn't talk about Artest's skill or talent. He talked about his attitude. I rather Artest bring that up then what he said.

It dont matter if its Tmac or Yao...that happened 4 fukkin years ago so let it go son. That was a very ignorant thing for yao ming to say...he needs to keep his mouth shut. Anyone who agrees with what yao ming said is a victim of the medias propoganda.....weak minded mothafukkas.

I'd like to bring a upper middle class white guy's perspective to this.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, where you came from etc... I came from a lower middle class blue collar family that barely made ends meet. I wore hand me down clothes, rarely went on vacation, always had a broken down car etc.... I'm proud of that. Now I'm fairly well off and I'm proud of that.

However, in the end there is a level of professionalism, a kind of behavior, set of values etc... that is ultimately appropriate. I always remain true to myself, but I adjust a bit at the edges depending on whether I am in a room full of bankers or a room full of pool hustlers. If you don't learn, mature, adjust, etc.... you hurt yourself as well as those around you. Guys like Artest (and other who shall remain nameless) never grew up, matured, and learned how to behave.

34y2nf7.jpg

metrocard

Legend
First of all, Yao is immature for bringing up the incident that Ron is trying to move from.

Second of all, Ron always been RAW and says how he feels.
**** being politically correct.

Regardless if you like him or not, Ron Artest makes his teams better.

Kings would be the worst team in the NBA without Artest, he almost made them a .500 team in the West with Beno Udrith at PG and Mikkin f'n Moore at center.

Artest will take Rockets to level they never been before. T'Mac and Yao just need to stay healthy.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
First of all, Yao is immature for bringing up the incident that Ron is trying to move from.

Kings would be the worst team in the NBA without Artest, he almost made them a .500 team in the West with Beno Udrith at PG and Mikkin f'n Moore at center.

Artest will take Rockets to level they never been before. T'Mac and Yao just need to stay healthy.

Yao probably shouldn't have brought up the past publicly, but at the same time his concern is probably justified. He probably would have been better off offering an olive branch and trying to get off on the right foot, but Artest's response probably has Houston's management wanting to call for a do over already.

Paul1355

All Star

:agreed: Artest is a rare player...he's as good at defense as he is on offense and he averages 20 a game. The Rockets will own with TMAC, Artest and Yao. Actually rating that vs the Lakers 3...Kobe, Odom and Gasol...put Artest on Kobe and you got a good shot at winning.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Actually you guys are right. Yao shouldn't have brought up the past. That is wrong. He should have used the olive branch.

At the same time, personally I still do not like what Artest said. He could have been the bigger man.

Last edited:

Starks

Starter
Granted, what Ming said was out of line, but that quote from him was extracted out of a much larger one where he was talking about team chemistry. Perhaps he was trying to be funny with that "going into the stands" comment.

I have a few Asian friends and I can tell you foreign humor is pretty strange and always falls flat when they try to sound comedic- which Ming has been guilty of. Unfortunately, just like Artest is wrong, Ming was also. He should know a comment like that would set off Ron who no one denies is unstable upstairs.

As for Ron, I know he's an incredible athlete with God Given talent. We all know that. But once he starts trying to become an anthropologists and publicly talk about culture, he paints a big bullseye on himself.

I would be very angry and offended if Ron was Cuban and says that he represents my culture the best. Thats taking it too damn far. And if he wants to try to have a public conversation on culture, then everyone in that culture becomes involved. If he wants to try have a discourse on that subject, he better be ready to take a hit when he is criticized.

He is a know mental case of the special education mold. (Every school has them)
He is know for not having any control over his anger and emotions.
He is known for saying things publicly that can be terribly ignorant.
And as far as people outside NBA Fans view him, he will ALWAYS be known as the thug who ran into the stands and beat up on the wrong guy.
And whether those facts are true or not, it is irrelevant because it is what he is known as. Thats his reputation, and he needs to be bright enough to accept that. He did his part to for that.

and given all that, he has the audacity to say that "He represents black culture the best"????

How does Obama feel about that statement?

How would other black athletic icons feel about that statement like Jackie Robinson, Mike Jordan...or more recently guys like Tori Hunter of the Angels who is critical of black athletes, or even intelligent family men like Micheal Redd who built a few churches with his money, or Alan Houston.

How would any other upstanding hardworking blue collar Black American family man feel about that statement?

Things like this go beyond basketball. Hopefully someone has a talk with him and makes him realize how damaging a statement like that can be culturally.

The ironic part is that red neck racists that seen the brawl have probably been saying the same thing all along: "That Ron Artest represents black culture" That's the real irony in this.

Retract your statement Ron, its the responsible thing to do. Do it for the youth at least

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
lol Yaos scared of Artest...Yao reminds me of Shawn Bradley...another big over sized pussy ^_^ lol ccept Yao is actually worth something i seriously dont see Yao even looking eye 2 eye when he sees artest lol

Kiyaman

Legend
Granted, what Ming said was out of line, but that quote from him was extracted out of a much larger one where he was talking about team chemistry. Perhaps he was trying to be funny with that "going into the stands" comment.

I have a few Asian friends and I can tell you foreign humor is pretty strange and always falls flat when they try to sound comedic- which Ming has been guilty of. Unfortunately, just like Artest is wrong, Ming was also. He should know a comment like that would set off Ron who no one denies is unstable upstairs.

As for Ron, I know he's an incredible athlete with God Given talent. We all know that. But once he starts trying to become an anthropologists and publicly talk about culture, he paints a big bullseye on himself.

I would be very angry and offended if Ron was Cuban and says that he represents my culture the best. Thats taking it too damn far. And if he wants to try to have a public conversation on culture, then everyone in that culture becomes involved. If he wants to try have a discourse on that subject, he better be ready to take a hit when he is criticized.

He is a know mental case of the special education mold. (Every school has them)
He is know for not having any control over his anger and emotions.
He is known for saying things publicly that can be terribly ignorant.
And as far as people outside NBA Fans view him, he will ALWAYS be known as the thug who ran into the stands and beat up on the wrong guy.
And whether those facts are true or not, it is irrelevant because it is what he is known as. Thats his reputation, and he needs to be bright enough to accept that. He did his part to for that.

and given all that, he has the audacity to say that "He represents black culture the best"????

How does Obama feel about that statement?

How would other black athletic icons feel about that statement like Jackie Robinson, Mike Jordan...or more recently guys like Tori Hunter of the Angels who is critical of black athletes, or even intelligent family men like Micheal Redd who built a few churches with his money, or Alan Houston.

How would any other upstanding hardworking blue collar Black American family man feel about that statement?

Things like this go beyond basketball. Hopefully someone has a talk with him and makes him realize how damaging a statement like that can be culturally.

The ironic part is that red neck racists that seen the brawl have probably been saying the same thing all along: "That Ron Artest represents black culture" That's the real irony in this.

Retract your statement Ron, its the responsible thing to do. Do it for the youth at least

Ron Artest do represent the 21 century Black-People in America.
Go to St. Alban park in Queens N.Y. in the summer and check out his Kid B-Ball league.
He is not ashame of himself, his family, friends, or the enviroment he was born in to become a MAN. He dont have false hopes. He knows where he come from and what it took for Black People to make it this far in Racist America. The Black phrase "Ghetto" is out of alot of people text especially Black Surburbon people text who thinks the term "That's Ghetto" sounds fly.
A hint: Black Ghetto is drinking Kool-Aid, Sugar water, mayo sandwiches, CP time, TCB, and most of all standing-up and having attitude for your own right or wrong rather than the next persons.

Your analysis on Yao, and the chinese way of joking dont flow.
Ron Artest has proved on three teams that he is one of the top chemistry players in the league.
If you notice the Houston Rockets last season played a much better chemistry system with Yao side line for the season (the team stepped-up to the next level 17 game winning streak).
With Ron Artest added to the Houston Rockets rotation now you can trade Yao for any uptempo running center (defense or offense) in the league and the Rockets would still get past the first round next season.

Yao represent the 1 billion people in China, that is why he is a BIG thing in the NBA.
Dont make me put-up the video of 5.8 Nate Robinson blocking Yao shot...