Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Wow! L.A. Has Banned Fast Food in Poor Neighborhoods!

  1. #1
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Wow! L.A. Has Banned Fast Food in Poor Neighborhoods!

    wow they did something for the good of the [better] public interest, for once. how polite.



    Food Apartheid
    Banning fast food in poor neighborhoods.


    By William Saletan
    Posted Thursday, July 31, 2008@http://www. slate. com/id/2196397/

    The war on fat has just crossed a major red line.

    The Los Angeles City Council has passed an ordinance prohibiting construction of new fast-food restaurants in a 32-square-mile area inhabited by 500,000 low-income people.

    ..

    We're not talking anymore about preaching diet and exercise, disclosing calorie counts, or restricting sodas in schools. We're talking about banning the sale of food to adults. Treating French fries like cigarettes or liquor.

    I didn't think this would happen in the United States anytime soon. I was wrong.

    The mayor hasn't yet signed the ordinance, but he probably will, since it passed unanimously. It doesn't affect existing restaurants, and initially it will impose only a one-year moratorium.

    But that period is likely to be extended to two years or more, and the prohibition's sponsor hopes to make it permanent.



    What we're looking at, essentially, is the beginning of food zoning. Liquor and cigarette sales are already zoned.

    You can't sell booze here; you can't sell smokes there.

    Each city makes its own rules, block by block. Proponents of the L.A. ordinance see it as the logical next step. Fast food is bad for you, just as drinking or smoking is, they argue.

    Community Coalition, a local activist group, promotes the moratorium as a sequel to its crackdown on alcohol merchants, scummy motels, and other "nuisance businesses.

    " An L.A.

    councilman says the ordinance makes sense because it's "not too different to how we regulate liquor stores.

    "..

    A few other cities and towns have zoned restaurants for economic, environmental, or aesthetic reasons. But L.A. appears to be the first to do it for health reasons.

    Last year, a public-interest law group at Johns Hopkins outlined the rationale: "Given the significance of the obesity epidemic in the United States and the scientific evidence and legal basis supporting the zoning of fast food outlets, municipalities have an effective, yet untried, tool to address obesity in their communities.

    "

    I assumed this idea would go nowhere because we Americans don't like government restrictions on what we eat.

    But you'll get our burgers when you pry them from our cold, dead hands.

    How did the L.A. City Council get around this resistance? By spinning the moratorium as a way to create more food choices, not fewer. And by depicting poor people, like children, as less capable of free choice.

    Start with the press release (PDF) issued a week ago by the moratorium's sponsor, Councilwoman Jan Perry. Its subhead says the ordinance will "help spur the development of diverse food choices.

    " In the second paragraph, Perry declares,
    ..

    This ordinance is in no way attempting to tell people what to eat but rather responding to the need to attract sit-down restaurants, full service grocery stores, and healthy food alternatives. Ultimately, this ordinance is about providing choices—something that is currently lacking in our community.

    ..

    How does blocking new fast-food outlets provide more choices? It helps local officials "attract grocery stores and restaurants to the area, by preserving existing land for these uses," says the release. And why does the moratorium apply only to the poor part of town, around South-Central L.A.? A fellow council member explains: "The over concentration of fast food restaurants in conjunction with the lack of grocery stores places these communities in a poor situation to locate a variety of food and fresh food.

    " Supporters of the moratorium call this state of affairs "food apartheid.

    " Opening a McDonald's in South-Central L.A. is not government-enforced racial discrimination.

    And what about the argument that people in South-Central need the government to block unhealthy food options because they're "in a poor situation" to locate better choices? This is the argument normally made for restricting children's food options at school—that they're more dependent and vulnerable than the rest of us.

    How do you feel about treating poor people like children?

    It's true that food options in low-income neighborhoods are, on average, worse than the options in wealthier neighborhoods. But restricting options in low-income neighborhoods is a disturbingly paternalistic way of solving the problem. And the helplessness attributed to poor people is exaggerated.

    "You try to get a salad within 20 minutes of our location; it's virtually impossible," says the Community Coalition's executive director.

    Not the world's greatest salads, but not as bad as a government that tells you whose salad you can eat.

    Already, the majority leader of New York's city council wants to adopt food zoning, and several cities have phoned L.A.

    LOL, wonder how McDonalds, if this goes to New York I would laugh hysterically.

    I'm actually suprised they're doing this...now human's health > money to these gov't dudes? Too weird.

    Fast foods and foods that are high in saturated fat, sugar, and corn syrup has been the government's way of exploiting the health of minorities for decades by making the food cheap and accessible. Thats to that we have a high obesity and diabetes rate amongst our people.

    Primary reason why I choosed the fitness industry, after losing my abuela to diabetes I just want to contribute my all to the community and show them the way to a healthy long life.

  2. #2
    The King Akamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Looks like plans are falling into place (just as expected) I'm not a fan of this "zoning" bullshyt, that's not a good sign for our country even if the food is bad for you, people are being trained to adopt these stupid ideas-

  3. #3
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I completely against this bull****. People have the right to choose what they put into their bodies, if government really gave a **** about these people they would..

    A) MAKE CIGARETTES AND ALCOHOL ILLEGAL...AGAIN (PROHIBITION)

    B) GUNS WOULD BE OUTLAWED AND RESTRICTED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY PERSONNEL ONLY

    C) THE FDA WOULD ACTUALLY INVESTIGATE DRUG COMPANIES, AND NOT GREENLIGHT EVERY NEW DRUG THEY CREATE WITHIN 90 DAYS AS THEY DO NOW

    The two of these things would be done overnight if they really gave a **** about the people be safe. This is such bull****. I didn't fight in two wars, and lose a cousin in Iraq...just so we could be told what the **** we can and cannot eat by some jackass in a suit. Exporting freedom over there, but don't practice it here at home...this is bull****.

    You might as well say the *****RS AND THE SPICS are too ****ing stupid to control what they eat. This makes no sense because culturally the diets of the Black and Hispanic minorities is heavy in starches, sugars, sauces, glazes, spices, salt, etc..etc. Sure you ban McDonalds and Burger King...but not Grandma's Mac cheese, grits, fried chicken...or Abuelita's deep fried chuletas de cerdo, arroz con pollo, taquito's....as if that **** any good for you...diet wise EITHER.

    They would have to outlaw the cooking of damn near all cultural foods in order for this thing to seriously have an impact. Because when people want food that taste's GOOD..often the **** ain't healthy for you. This is just another case of GOVERNMENT overstepping it's ****ing boundaries, especially liberals.

    I did 3 tours in Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan before catching shards in my back from a car bomb. Spent 13 months in Walter Reed with crap ass conditions with my fellow soldiers. Had to damn near beg to get the G.I. BILL money I earned as was owed. Have to hear people bitch and moan when I wear my uniform to some military functions because they are against the war..even though they ain't doing **** but sitting on there asses talking about revolution. And this is the ****ing thanks we get?

    When I see one of these dumb **** politicians in a firefight...then can they even suggest what the **** I should be eating. I earned my mother****ing rights...they're leeching off mine.

  4. #4
    The King Akamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    I completely against this bull****. People have the right to choose what they put into their bodies, if government really gave a **** about these people they would..

    A) MAKE CIGARETTES AND ALCOHOL ILLEGAL...AGAIN (PROHIBITION)

    B) GUNS WOULD BE OUTLAWED AND RESTRICTED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY PERSONNEL ONLY

    C) THE FDA WOULD ACTUALLY INVESTIGATE DRUG COMPANIES, AND NOT GREENLIGHT EVERY NEW DRUG THEY CREATE WITHIN 90 DAYS AS THEY DO NOW

    The two of these things would be done overnight if they really gave a **** about the people be safe. This is such bull****. I didn't fight in two wars, and lose a cousin in Iraq...just so we could be told what the **** we can and cannot eat by some jackass in a suit. Exporting freedom over there, but don't practice it here at home...this is bull****.

    You might as well say the *****RS AND THE SPICS are too ****ing stupid to control what they eat. This makes no sense because culturally the diets of the Black and Hispanic minorities is heavy in starches, sugars, sauces, glazes, spices, salt, etc..etc. Sure you ban McDonalds and Burger King...but not Grandma's Mac cheese, grits, fried chicken...or Abuelita's deep fried chuletas de cerdo, arroz con pollo, taquito's....as if that **** any good for you...diet wise EITHER.

    They would have to outlaw the cooking of damn near all cultural foods in order for this thing to seriously have an impact. Because when people want food that taste's GOOD..often the **** ain't healthy for you. This is just another case of GOVERNMENT overstepping it's ****ing boundaries, especially liberals.

    I did 3 tours in Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan before catching shards in my back from a car bomb. Spent 13 months in Walter Reed with crap ass conditions with my fellow soldiers. Had to damn near beg to get the G.I. BILL money I earned as was owed. Have to hear people bitch and moan when I wear my uniform to some military functions because they are against the war..even though they ain't doing **** but sitting on there asses talking about revolution. And this is the ****ing thanks we get?

    When I see one of these dumb **** politicians in a firefight...then can they even suggest what the **** I should be eating. I earned my mother****ing rights...they're leeching off mine.


    B) GUNS WOULD BE OUTLAWED AND RESTRICTED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY PERSONNEL ONLY

    Listen Bro that is crazy to think disarming Americans will help, here you even said what I was going to say....

    This is just another case of GOVERNMENT overstepping it's ****ing boundaries, especially liberals.
    EXACTLY if they did that and outlawed guns to citizens (WHICH THEY ARE TRYING TO DO AND PEOPLE ARE RIGHTFULLY FIGHTING AGAINST IT) It would put Americans in a VERY vulnerable position.

    /_1_) You could be a very weak person and have someone break into your home and not be able to do anything about it cause you don't have a gun.

    /_2_) The government can bring in marshal law and you will be easily submissive towards a tyrannical government.

    /_3_) Having a militia would no longer be an option either.

    There are many negatives to that statement. Having the "Right to bare arms" should not be overlooked trust me on this, the government would LOVE if they could take away all of the weapons and be the total controller of them. The founding fathers wrote it into law for a reason.

    C) THE FDA WOULD ACTUALLY INVESTIGATE DRUG COMPANIES, AND NOT GREENLIGHT EVERY NEW DRUG THEY CREATE WITHIN 90 DAYS AS THEY DO NOW

    The FDA said by LAW "The only thing that can cure a disease is DRUG" meaning, anything not a drug CANNOT be considered a cure to ANY illness. Which is HIGHLY false, it is proven that natural remedies are MORE effective then drugs and do not contain side affects for the most part.

    Many natural curing product manufacturer's get SUED by the FDA for saying they help prevent any type of illness. The FDA works WITH the Drug companies to make x-amount of profits.

    I am strongly against drugs and do not like taking any sort of drug ( however there are some cases when they are needed, example an operation or for LIFE THREATENING situations) Drugs are made for you to be dependent on them and they add EXTRA illness's to your diet causing you to BUY another medical product to be dependent on because that certain drug you took to help your liver screwed up your heart.

    People bytch and moan because they don't want you to die in Iraq they actually give a shyt about you! When people bytch, spread the word, protest and all that it has an effect and things do happen when people speak up. Different people contribute in different ways.


    The politicians/globalists do not care about you, did you here what Henry Kissinger said about the troops? About them being mere pawns in the Globalist's game?

    Or John Kerry, saying if your stupid you end up in Iraq?

    People protesting war are the people who care about you, the government says not supporting your troops makes you Anti-American which is a total LIE, they just want you to support a meaningless war. They do not like opposition from the American people-
    Last edited by Akamu; Aug 01, 2008 at 13:08.

  5. #5
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Now poor people cant eat anything...what other food place can you buy a whole meal for 4 or 5 $? It helps health wise definetly tho.

  6. #6
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Akamu

    Listen Bro that is crazy to think disarming Americans will help, here you even said what I was going to say....

    EXACTLY if they did that and outlawed guns to citizens (WHICH THEY ARE TRYING TO DO AND PEOPLE ARE RIGHTFULLY FIGHTING AGAINST IT) It would put Americans in a VERY vulnerable position.

    /_1_) You could be a very weak person and have someone break into your home and not be able to do anything about it cause you don't have a gun.

    /_2_) The government can bring in marshal law and you will be easily submissive towards a tyrannical government.

    /_3_) Having a militia would no longer be an option either.

    There are many negatives to that statement. Having the "Right to bare arms" should not be overlooked trust me on this, the government would LOVE if they could take away all of the weapons and be the total controller of them. The founding fathers wrote it into law for a reason.


    The FDA said by LAW "The only thing that can cure a disease is DRUG" meaning, anything not a drug CANNOT be considered a cure to ANY illness. Which is HIGHLY false, it is proven that natural remedies are MORE effective then drugs and do not contain side affects for the most part.

    Many natural curing product manufacturer's get SUED by the FDA for saying they help prevent any type of illness. The FDA works WITH the Drug companies to make x-amount of profits.

    I am strongly against drugs and do not like taking any sort of drug ( however there are some cases when they are needed, example an operation or for LIFE THREATENING situations) Drugs are made for you to be dependent on them and they add EXTRA illness's to your diet causing you to BUY another medical product to be dependent on because that certain drug you took to help your liver screwed up your heart.

    People bytch and moan because they don't want you to die in Iraq they actually give a shyt about you! When people bytch, spread the word, protest and all that it has an effect and things do happen when people speak up. Different people contribute in different ways.


    The politicians/globalists do not care about you, did you here what Henry Kissinger said about the troops? About them being mere pawns in the Globalist's game?

    Or John Kerry, saying if your stupid you end up in Iraq?

    People protesting war are the people who care about you, the government says not supporting your troops makes you Anti-American which is a total LIE, they just want you to support a meaningless war. They do not like opposition from the American people-
    Yes and how do you folks thinks those rights to protest, bitch, to moan, to complain about your government comes form? Sure as hell doesn't come from this feeling of I think I am entitled to these rights, just because I am entitled to them. I think therefore I am entitled does not exist.

    Sacrifices of people in uniform is where they come from. You don't join because of the money, you don't join because you like to kill, you don't join because you got nothing else better to do, you don't join because there are no opportunities.

    Those people you speak of that have attempted to throw garbage at me, those folks that have had the ****ing nerve to protest outside my cousin's funeral, at funerals of other people I've served with...people I've watched die...two in my arms in Tikrit, the same people that talk about how horrible the war is yet at the same time...go shopping and tune the war out..just simply change the ****ing channel on the television. Those people don't contribute jack **** to society other than sitting on their lazy asses.

    I don't know in the next 50 years what history is going to say about these two wars...personally I don't give a damn what people WHO WEREN'T THERE have to ****ing say about it. I don't need some writer telling me what war is like, what war should be, what war shouldn't be.

    These people want to contribute sign up so these folks don't have to be burned out...make sure we have the right equipment now to get the job done...better yet, go to a VA hospital spend some time with my brothers and sisters in green. Don't come up to us with your bull**** about how we were duped...when you're soldier it's not the same thing. You folks take for granted you get to enjoy the liberties we cannot exercise. We defend democracy, not practice it in the military. Wanna help make sure when soldiers come back...they have a ****ing decent paying job to come back to...

    That's how you truly help.

    This issue I can't be objective about..not after being there..not after seeing what I've seen..not after having friendships made...and seeing them end abruptly. Folks who just wanted to serve their country no more no less...but people make it seem like signing up to do so makes you some kind of fool or pawn. When the only thing your truly thinking about was I'm doing this to protect my family.

    You wanna lecture me about warfare, talk to me you've been there.

  7. #7
    The King Akamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    It's Blantly obvious that we had to go to war with Great Britain to become free and independent country in order to establish these liberties that we have today.

    I herd that same statement time and time again, I know my history you don't have to remind me. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE INDEPENDENCE WAR AND THE IRAQ WAR IS......

    The independence war was necessary, Great Britain wanted to tax the hell out of the Independent colonies and wanted to basically have complete control over them. So it was a need to go to war.

    The Iraq War however was orchestrated by the globalist and our government through a series of lies starting with 9/11. (Another orchestrated event, the ultimate excuse to get people behind war.)

    You act is if I have no respect for soldiers, I personally know soldiers that have been there and that are there now and I have support for them but NOT THE WAR. So I don't get your point? I have my respect for the troops it is the WAR that does not sit well with me.

    I sympathize with your frustration and I agree it doesn't make logical sense to protest outside of a funeral, that is 100% disrespectful.

    Not everyone may do things in the correct manner but my point being is the Iraq War is unnecessary, and the people who make you and your fellow troops go to Iraq have never been in any war but they strongly support it, so you should be pissed at them instead of me.

    Not only do they support it, but they want to keep you there and start more wars, I have some evidence just leaked out about a plan (a scenario) to start war with Iran. (I'll post it when I can.)

  8. #8
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    What KnicksFan said will be burned to the grown...I don't have freetime for a reply, but expect my post devastating post ever...I'm really going to shred him to pieces and just end it in one post.

    Beware.

  9. #9
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    What KnicksFan said will be burned to the grown...I don't have freetime for a reply, but expect my post devastating post ever...I'm really going to shred him to pieces and just end it in one post.

    Beware.
    You got something you wanna say I'm right here. You might not like what I say...but I don't run EITHER.

  10. #10
    The King Akamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    You got something you wanna say I'm right here. You might not like what I say...but I don't run EITHER.
    What can you say about these mandatory vaccines given to the troops?


    I'm not trying to scare you, but this is the reality that we live in.

    Also, most of us have been given vaccines when we were younger, vaccines are nothing but poison. The hold strands of the cancer virus and help our kids develop into autistic children.

    I have a big post on this coming up-

  11. #11
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Akamu
    What can you say about these mandatory vaccines given to the troops?


    I'm not trying to scare you, but this is the reality that we live in.

    Also, most of us have been given vaccines when we were younger, vaccines are nothing but poison. The hold strands of the cancer virus and help our kids develop into autistic children.

    I have a big post on this coming up-
    good video if you know what they really gave him i can look it up, my family is full of doctors so i'm interested in this. I dont see a point in giving them vaccines anyways unless its to test some shots that the military wants to use against enemies one day, god for bid that's the worst scenerio that I thought of.

  12. #12
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    "Exporting freedom over there, but don't practice it here at home...this is bull****."

    If you mean imperialism sure, but that is another story...

    I completely agree that government shouldn't really intervene with whether we want to become fat or not, but I don't agree just because you fought in the war you earned your right as an American any more than any other American. That the beauty of this country we all have that choice.

  13. #13
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    "Exporting freedom over there, but don't practice it here at home...this is bull****."

    If you mean imperialism sure, but that is another story...

    I completely agree that government shouldn't really intervene with whether we want to become fat or not, but I don't agree just because you fought in the war you earned your right as an American any more than any other American. That the beauty of this country we all have that choice.
    The hell I didn't. Most Americans sit on their ass talking about revolution...nothing but empty talk no action. I've watched people die..friends of mine all the while people here do nothing but go shopping, play games, and bitch about the cost of gas..meanwhile not doing anything to help this country get back on its feet.

    That's the difference between a citizen and a subject. But you folks wouldn't understand that.

  14. #14
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    WOW...you watched people died, thats amazing. Our opinions could never be on the level of yours.


    Pendejo.
    People in the Bronx and other slums see people die too, so ****ing what? Does that make them special?

    Only difference between those people and that dude who you saw die is that that dude died for a unnecessary war in benefit to the power of the Bush administration.

    Are you going to be a little p*ssy for the rest of your life and use serving the military as your excuse to life in everything?

    This homo probably skips people in line saying "I served the country, if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have freedom to be inline"

    You're an ignorant monkey.

    F*CK the RIGHT.

    People have enough rights(besides Ricans and other 3rd world countrymen); I'm tired of people always crying about simplistic ****.

    You can't live without fast food and junk thats going to ruin your overall health that also affects you mentally?

    The States isn't a healthy country at all.
    70% overweight
    over 30% obese.

    We're talking about one of the most athletic countries in the world, where athletes are the small minority, where as your average American is fat.

    This is an EPIDEMIC.

    You're completely wrong once again about Hispanics.

    Most Latino countries by far have less obese and fat people, yes there is a lack of food, but even your middle class family doesn't come out fat.

    You move to the United States, and you blow up.
    Especially in the ghetto where FAT FOOD is CHEAP.
    If you grew up in the hood, you diet consisted of CHINESE FOOD, KENNEDY FRIED CHICKEN ON THE BLOCK, MikeyD's, Pizza, and your friend's parents spanish food with MAD SODA and sugary drinks. On the side of that, you have BODEGAS that are loaded with candy, beer, cakes, potato chips, ITALIAN BREAD...and all sorts of junk.

    What this leads to?
    Diabetes.
    The hood has a high diabetes right because they don't teach our people how to be healthy.

    Instead in school we learn a limited ammount of information that is repeated throughout the 3rd-8th grade, and in HS you get minimal **** that doesn't even prepare you for college.

    All you learn in school is America's version of history, as if history started with slavery. They never go into detail of AFRICAN history in AFRICA or how the Africans came here before Columbus.
    They never teach you about things related to your LIFE...just blind with you repeated history written by these corrupt goons.


    SO WTF?

    F*ck a right, I rather see my people get their health back to shape and not suffer anymore from being fat and having diabetes.

    Being fat = weak abdominal/core area = back problems.

    You're a bum.

  15. #15
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    This is the massive post you were going to use to blow me out the water? Tell you what...I'll come back...with far greater reasoning and an explanation when have the time..and completely destroy your entire argument. And I will show you how it's done properly.

    I'll even leave you this to chew on...

    If you can understand the difference between the citizen vs the subject..then you can know what I'm talking about..if you cannot...then you don't even know where I am coming from.

Similar Threads

  1. Whats Your Favorite Fast Food Chain?
    By Peach_NYK_21 in forum Hangout
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun 10, 2008, 19:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •