Are The Knicks in a Rebuilding mode?

Kiyaman

Legend
If the Knicks did not have the 6th Pick in this draft and the great oportunity to trade the worst decision-making guard in the NBA (Jamal Crawford) on draft night, I would understand the same players who received the majority of playingtime during the last 3 seasons still being on the team in August.

The Knicks has lacked Team Chemistry for the last 4 years straight because their backcourt of Marbury, Crawford, and Q.Richardson, each have a NBA career history of "BAD Decision Making" on the court.

With a new coach and a new backcourt to start the 2008-9 season would've been the start of a rebuilding Knick team. So many losing teams became successful with this move, by getting 3 decent decision-making Guards to bring some chemistry within their 8 to 9 man rotation.
Marbury, Crawford, and Q.Richardson had 3 years together averaging 30 mpg to do this and failed miserably.

The LA Clippers and Indiana Pacers started their Rebuilding Process early in the offseason by adding a great decision-making quarterback to their roster in "Baron Davis and TJ Ford".

Portland did ouststandingly well last season with PG-Jarret Jack and PG-Blake alongside of SG-Brandon Roy chemistry (great decision-making). This upcomming season Portland will add PG-Bayless to their rotation (He was supposed to be the 4th to 6th Pick in this draft).

Houston Rockets became the best winning second-half team in the league with great decision-making PG-Alston and PG-Bobby Jackson running the show alongside of high scoring SG-T-Mac. The Rockets did this with their Franchise Center Yao sidelined with season ending injury. This upcomming season the Rockets has added one of the top ten great decision-making Point-Fowards to their rotation Ron Artest.

The Knicks did nothing to start a rebuilding process on draft night by selecting a SF player that has half the skillz as their last year 23rd draft pick SF-Wilson Chandler.

The Knicks were in dire need of PG-Bayless to replace Marbury, or SG-Gordon to replace Crawford, or C-Brook Lopez to replace Curry, from this Draft. For the Knicks not to try and trade Jamal Crawford $7 million contract on draft night for a Pick and player while his value was up, shows that Walsh & D'Antoni know little about this Knick Team and how it let No-Defense and Bad Decision Making SG/PG-Jamal Crawford lead this Knick Team the last 3 years.

Did it make much sense for the Knicks to sign two players to 2 year contracts that are players you invite to training camp to hustle for an open spot on the roster. Both signees are duplicates of "Collins & Nate", but are not as athletic or creative as Collins & Nate.

clumsy

Rotation player
i whole heartedly agree with this post. The Knicks have never actually allowed their team to go into "rebuilding".

It reminds me of the Yankess when they sucked asshole in the 80's, early 90's. Always picking up high priced free agents. Or the Rangers when they couldn't win for 7 years despite always going after high profile guys.

if they were really rebuilding guys with Long Term contracts would be off this roster. Gallinari might turn out to be a good starter (i think he doesn't have the lateral mobility to be great), but i would rather have Randolph gone than have both. Walsh blew his chance to basically pull the same deal that Portland did with us last year.

Paul1355

All Star
The rebuliding process is us waiting untill most of our players contracts expire which is in the next two years. After two seasons from now the only contracts we'd still have would be Curry, Jamal, Zach, Collins, Jeffries and Chandler...so we would have alot of money left. And a few of those i listed should be traded before we hit the 2010 free agency giving us more cap money.

Kiyaman

Legend
i whole heartedly agree with this post. The Knicks have never actually allowed their team to go into "rebuilding".

It reminds me of the Yankess when they sucked asshole in the 80's, early 90's. Always picking up high priced free agents. Or the Rangers when they couldn't win for 7 years despite always going after high profile guys.

if they were really rebuilding guys with Long Term contracts would be off this roster. Gallinari might turn out to be a good starter (i think he doesn't have the lateral mobility to be great), but i would rather have Randolph gone than have both. Walsh blew his chance to basically pull the same deal that Portland did with us last year.

Walsh blew his chance to basically pull the same deal that Portland did with us last year.

Thank You!
When a Team have a player with Attitude Problems like Zach, Marbury, Q.Richardson, or Francis, you must take a big lost to get these players off of your team and out of your lockerroom ASAP before they corrupt other players.
Isiah may have been a dum-dum but he was'nt that dum when he tried to trade Zach before the trading deadline for all of the Bucks garbage players.

For Donnie Walsh to think or believe that he can bring the trade Value-up on players like Zach Randolph 3 year $48 million contract, or Marbury $21 million contract for 1 year, or Q.Richardson 2 year $18 million contract, or Jefferies 3 year $18 million contract, Walsh & D'Antoni must be smoking something stronger than Crack, because these players worth in the NBA today is from $2 million to $4 million each.
Curry & Crawford are probably worth a 3 year $14 million contract.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Can't really tell what their mentality is except for that they are trying to shed salary for 2010. The Knicks have a year and a half to trade their expensive players if not, it will be a while before the Knicks can have some cap space. They will be bad next year and will land another top draft pick. They need to draft their PG of the future. They will need to decide where gallo fits after one season under his belt. Will he be a key component and if he is what will his main position be SF or PF or maybe SG? Or will he be just a role player. It's too soon to make calls on what the NYK will be all about. I believe we will have an idea by the end of the 2009-2010 season, and I believe the NYK will have figured it out by then. I have decided to stop suffering for the next 20 months and await a good and competitive product entering the 2010-2011 season.

I have no choice but to hope that Gallo and Chandler become studs and that either Randolph, Curry, or Crawford do enough to draw attention from other teams and hopefully make a beneficial deal.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Relax guys, give some time to Walsh, I believe he has the ability to rebuild this team.
Surely he will make some deal regarding Jamal, Zach or Curry.:gony:

Paul1355

All Star
Relax guys, give some time to Walsh, I believe he has the ability to rebuild this team.
Surely he will make some deal regarding Jamal, Zach or Curry.:gony:

He has to, he understands that just that many Knick fans dont have patience but i think Walsh will come through...he cant be worse than Isiah.

pat

Starter
The Knicks did nothing to start a rebuilding process on draft night by selecting a SF player that has half the skillz as their last year 23rd draft pick SF-Wilson Chandler.

How can you tell after one game of summer league? I think we should all wait what is going to happen. Trading for the sake of trading is what brought this franchise in the situation in which it is right now. We are not going to be a contender right away and I cannot see why you think the Clippers are "rebuilding". Baron Davis is going to be in his tenth year and 29/30 years old, Camby is going to be in his 13th season and Ricky Davis is going to be in is eleventh season, bringing to the table a questionable reputation. Although the Clippers are an improved team, they are nowhere near a Championship. I really can't see why this is good rebuilding or rebuilding at all. They are going for quick success and they do a better job at it than Phoenix or Dallas did last year but still it won't be enough.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
Rebuild of thjs team is like knock down to rebuild great wall in china, make knee of Alen Hustons beterr and let him play istead of cawrford is beter shoot and defensife, but out marbray contract get rid of him complane all the time like donkey idiot let him keep making sneeker boot starbray woooww idiot with tatoo on head of him like iron mik tysons, instead od marbray put nate robison at least he play 100%, some body plaese take gun and shioot Zac randolf in both leg of him please nopt want tos ee this slow peace of tharsh ruin team also when you have gun also put bullet in curry is one more [piece useless grabage belong in tharsh can, instead of two of this clown play david lees and jerom james can play instead of this fat curry wil porbably do beter job, then play italain stalin galinaro then maybe we have beter chance win 40 game abnag bang randolfs curry you die like death star

Kiyaman

Legend
Donnie Walsh got BAD LUCK, he had Isiah finish out the season coaching to get one of the worst records so he could have alot of Ping-Pong Balls, and got stuck with the 6th pick rather than one of the top four picks. Which still was a decent pick to get a Star Draft Player to replace Marbury or Crawford with.

All of the offseason decision making seems to be comming from coach D'Antoni (before he went to coach the USA Team). There wil be NO Knick transactions untill D'Antoni get back from coaching the USA Team.

If only Donnie Walsh would have hired coach Mark Jackson, the Knicks rebuilding process would have started in a new Backcourt for the 2008-9 season without Marbury or Crawford on the Knicks roster. Coach Jackson would have given Collins & Nate a shot at proving they were worth 24 mpg, if they failed "seeya" on the next team. I believe Mark Jackson would've strive to get the Knicks two first round picks on draft night by trading the Knicks top scorer Crawford.

Last Season Nets commentator Mark Jackson and Marb Albert luv to co-sign the Knicks problems in needing a bigger coaching staff for the type of players on their roster and Crawford being like Vince Carter by never letting teammates in on the offense.
That was the reason why Mark Jackson name kept comming up as the next best coach for the Knicks. He knew all the problems with a wise solution to solve them.

I'm sorry to say this to all the Walsh Fans, but Kiki Vendeweigh should have been selected as Knick President and Mark Jackson should have been selected as Head Coach.

If Kiki & Mark were hired we Knick-fans would've seen a Knick summer League Roster of PG-Bayless or PG-Augustin, or SG-Gordon, with C-Brook Lopez (trading Crawford for a pick) along with last year SF/PF-Chandler, SF/PF-Balkman, and C/F-Morris Randolph.
The Knicks SL coaching-staff would've been trippled with coaches that fit every element of the game (Patrick Ewing would've been hired to straighten out this Curry, Zach, Lee, and Morris rotation.).
That would be putting a 23 win team in a rebuilding mode.

GetRealistic

Starter
If Marc Jackson was the coach. A "rookie" coach with no professional coaching background at all, he would have had zero say in the decision making process. Of course D'Antoni has a say in the personel moves, he is an established coach who most likely said he wanted a say in personnel moves during his contract negiations.

Kiya you are flat out delusional. For a guy who claims to know so much about the Knicks you actually know very little. Where are this imaginary trades coming from? What times are knocking down the Knicks doors with trade offers for the overpaid and underachieving Stephon Marbury, Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford, etc? This isn't a video game just because the attribute points and salaries match doesn't mean the trade goes through. You say that the Nets would have traded us the number 10 pick for Crawford get real man. That would never happen.

You always bring up that we could have traded Zach Randolph for nothing. If you read articles and other posters comments you would know what the trade offer was. We would have had to give up our FIRST ROUND PICK and take on Brevin Knights contract. Your telling me that would have been a smart trade to make in July?

I would say Donnie has done a pretty good job with what he's had to work with. Especially considering the fact its still only August and he's got till November to make a move before the season, and hes got to the trade deadline to make another move. Whats the rush we're not competing this year anyway.

1. Fired Isiah.... Obviously a good move

2. Drafted Gallinari.... Some hate it some love it, but the fact of the matter is its far better then picking Eric Gordon and until next season we really won't know who the right draft pick is.

3. Duhon... Maybe you overpaid allittle, but the fact is he's gone by 2010 so it doesn't really matter to much. He's a solid stop gap point guard for when Marbury is bought out or before we can draft a PG of the future. He's nothing flashy but neither was Charlie Ward.

4. Roberson... You play the Phoenix style you need a shooter. He's not the big name Eddie House is but he can deffinately shoot the basketball. He's super cheap so his a low risk high reward player.

5. Marbury.... Either way he's gone after this season, you buy him out or you let him play out. Thats 24 mil off the cap. Even if he does a trade for players who expire before 2010 you can live with that

6. Balkman... Awful basketball IQ and with Gallo, the money committment to Jefferies, and the emergence of Chandler he had no place on this team. You clear allittle cap space and got a second round pick.

7. Randolph... He hasn't traded him yet, but i think we all know by training camp or atleast by the dealine he'll be moved. People got to let the Clippers deal go because fact of the matter is we can get better in return, or atleast not have to give up our number one to get rid of him.

If you ask me thats a pretty solid first few months. He took over basically the worst situation in pro sports and from his first press conference he told everybody his plan was to cut money and be a player in 2010 and i gotta tell ya thats what he's doing.

AND KIYA REAL FANS KNOW SUMMER LEAGUE DOESN'T COUNT. BUT HEY I HEAR THE NUGGETS YOUNG GUYS ARE HAVING A PICKUP GAME WITH THE BULLS YOUNG GUYS. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO WATCH THE 6'8 DEMETRIUS NICHOLS VS THE 6'8 TAZMAN BALKMAN.

P.S. The Nets new stadium in Brooklyn got pushed back again, so it won't be ready for 2010.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
If Marc Jackson was the coach. A "rookie" coach with no professional coaching background at all, he would have had zero say in the decision making process. Of course D'Antoni has a say in the personel moves, he is an established coach who most likely said he wanted a say in personnel moves during his contract negiations.

Kiya you are flat out delusional. For a guy who claims to know so much about the Knicks you actually know very little. Where are this imaginary trades coming from? What times are knocking down the Knicks doors with trade offers for the overpaid and underachieving Stephon Marbury, Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford, etc? This isn't a video game just because the attribute points and salaries match doesn't mean the trade goes through. You say that the Nets would have traded us the number 10 pick for Crawford get real man. That would never happen.

You always bring up that we could have traded Zach Randolph for nothing. If you read articles and other posters comments you would know what the trade offer was. We would have had to give up our FIRST ROUND PICK and take on Brevin Knights contract. Your telling me that would have been a smart trade to make in July?

I would say Donnie has done a pretty good job with what he's had to work with. Especially considering the fact its still only August and he's got till November to make a move before the season, and hes got to the trade deadline to make another move. Whats the rush we're not competing this year anyway.

2. Drafted Gallinari.... Some hate it some love it, but the fact of the matter is its far better then picking Eric Gordon and until next season we really won't know who the right draft pick is.

3. Duhon... Maybe you overpaid allittle, but the fact is he's gone by 2010 so it doesn't really matter to much. He's a solid stop gap point guard for when Marbury is bought out or before we can draft a PG of the future. He's nothing flashy but neither was Charlie Ward.

4. Roberson... You play the Phoenix style you need a shooter. He's not the big name Eddie House is but he can deffinately shoot the basketball. He's super cheap so his a low risk high reward player.

5. Marbury.... Either way he's gone after this season, you buy him out or you let him play out. Thats 24 mil off the cap. Even if he does a trade for players who expire before 2010 you can live with that

6. Balkman... Awful basketball IQ and with Gallo, the money committment to Jefferies, and the emergence of Chandler he had no place on this team. You clear allittle cap space and got a second round pick.

7. Randolph... He hasn't traded him yet, but i think we all know by training camp or atleast by the dealine he'll be moved. People got to let the Clippers deal go because fact of the matter is we can get better in return, or atleast not have to give up our number one to get rid of him.

If you ask me thats a pretty solid first few months. He took over basically the worst situation in pro sports and from his first press conference he told everybody his plan was to cut money and be a player in 2010 and i gotta tell ya thats what he's doing.

AND KIYA REAL FANS KNOW SUMMER LEAGUE DOESN'T COUNT. BUT HEY I HEAR THE NUGGETS YOUNG GUYS ARE HAVING A PICKUP GAME WITH THE BULLS YOUNG GUYS. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO WATCH THE 6'8 DEMETRIUS NICHOLS VS THE 6'8 TAZMAN BALKMAN.

P.S. The Nets new stadium in Brooklyn got pushed back again, so it won't be ready for 2010.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:thup:

I thought that was a kiyaman post at first until i started reading it

Red

TYPE-A
In finance we call this the greater fool theory. We're just waiting for a "bigger fool" than us to offer a trade for Zach. And by the looks of it 95% of the teams in the league can't afford Zach and aren't dumb enough to pay for a Center like Curry. Z is not a bad player in the right system (perhaps in a good half court offense with a serviceable Center to do the dirty work) but he's not right for us. Another worthless big man who couldn't spell let alone play defense.
I have a feeling we're keeping Crawford unless someone offers us something crazy that we can't refuse.

Paul1355

All Star

agreed on this whole post, good job:agreed:

DONNIE'S DOING OK AND KNICK FANS GOTTA HAVE PATIENCE.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I disagree with a lot of the moves that Donnie Walsh has made, since coming to the Knicks. However, I like the Anthony Roberson signing, the Isiah Thomas firing, and the rejection of the Zach Randolph trade. I'm willing to give Donnie Walsh a chance, if he decides to keep Marbury or trade Eddy Curry. But if he trades, waives, or buysout Marbury, I will not give him a chance. The Knicks will win 18-22 games next year, if Chris Duhon becomes the team's starting point guard. The Knicks need Marbury, if they're going to be competitive next year. The Knicks might even be able to make the playoffs next year, if Walsh keeps Marbury and manages to make a blockbuster trade for a good player. Eddy Curry is never going to be a good center, so I wouldn't mind trading him and moving Randolph, Lee, James, or Jeffries to the center spot.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

I agree 100%
Walsh needs time to try and fix this mess that Isiah left us!! When Isiah traded for Randolph, I remember thing that Curry was on his way out. He was just coming off a good year (for him) and I really thought that Isiah had a trade lined up. So, Walsh will need time to weed out this roster and move the players. The thing that Walsh needs to remember is not to take back garbage; and I fully believe he would never do that.

GetRealistic

Starter
I disagree with a lot of the moves that Donnie Walsh has made, since coming to the Knicks. However, I like the Anthony Roberson signing, the Isiah Thomas firing, and the rejection of the Zach Randolph trade. I'm willing to give Donnie Walsh a chance, if he decides to keep Marbury or trade Eddy Curry. But if he trades, waives, or buysout Marbury, I will not give him a chance. The Knicks will win 18-22 games next year, if Chris Duhon becomes the team's starting point guard. The Knicks need Marbury, if they're going to be competitive next year. The Knicks might even be able to make the playoffs next year, if Walsh keeps Marbury and manages to make a blockbuster trade for a good player. Eddy Curry is never going to be a good center, so I wouldn't mind trading him and moving Randolph, Lee, James, or Jeffries to the center spot.

Having Marbury on the team doesn't make or break us this year man. You gotta put your fanhood bias aside. If Marbury is on the team maybe we win a few more games but in reality does that truely help us? I know we all want to win as much as humanly possible and come game time we want to win but the less games we win the better draft pick we potentially get. I don't see us being as bad as last year with or without Marbury. Just having D'Antoni should give us 10 more wins then last year. No Isiah and a real coach gives this roster as is 30 victories.

You gotta look at the Marbury situation from the outside not as a fan of his. The guy has talent and will put up numbers but even if hes the MVP he's not in the future plans so what not start the future now and have Duhon, Mardy, Nate, and even Roberson playing those 35 minutes Marbury would recieve. All the other guys atleast at this moment are part of the Knicks future and Marbury is not. When you think of the Isiah Thomas era the first name you think of is Marbury. Like it or not hes the face of the franchise and a cleansing of him may not help us but i don't think it would really hurt us.

I personally approve the buyout but i wouldn't be completely against a trade that lands some over paid guys that expire pre 2010. I guess thats one way of competing now while still rebuilding because they do expire.

If Curry, Crawford, or Randolph had expiring contracts i would be the first one saying to buy them out to. But with the amount of years left on their contracts its not a possibility.

People need to not worry about Duhon its just a 2 year deal. Which means at very worst he's here two seasons and everybody knows people with expiring contracts become much more valuable then they previously are, you could easily trade his 7 million dollar expiring next year. I said it before Duhon is just the stop gap for the next two seasons. He plays this year then hopefully we draft a young point guard and then Duhon who may not be super talented is a smart point guard who could tutor a young point guard next season.

We've all suffered for years and want that quick fix. But with this roster there is no quick fix. But atleast for the first time in almost 10 years they general manager has a plan.