Article on Ricky Rubio

Red

TYPE-A
Over the past several years, the influence of young international players on the NBA draft has steadily declined. During the 2008 NBA draft, just one international player, Danilo Gallinari, was selected in the lottery. Several others, including Alexis Ajinca, Serge Ibaka and Nicolas Batum, went late in the first round.

The same trend generally holds true for the Olympics. National teams, the U.S. included, invite their most experienced players to play for the gold. There is very little space for a young player to get significant minutes in the Olympics.

However, there is good news for draftniks who are watching the Olympics hoping to catch a glimpse of the next great Euro. The top-rated international player on our draft board, 17-year-old Ricky Rubio, is not only on the Spanish national team -- he's been given significant minutes in Spain's warm-up games.

Who is Ricky Rubio? He is one of the most promising young point guards ever to emerge from Europe.

He started for his club, DKV Joventut, in Spain's ultracompetitive ACB league this year. Rubio's numbers last season were solid for a teenager playing with grown men. He averaged 10.5 points, 4 assists and 2 steals in 23 minutes per game.

The things scouts emphasize about Rubio are his terrific basketball IQ and feel for the game. He's a leader who shows incredible poise for someone so young.

And that doesn't mean his game is dull. Rubio's game has plenty of sizzle. He can make the impossible pass seem routine and he has a flair for the spectacular. He is fearless with the ball, which makes him one of the most fun European players to watch. Some scouts call him a young Pete Maravich.

nba_g_rubio_200.jpg
Cesar Rangel/Getty Images
Ricky Rubio's game reminds some of Pete Maravich.

Rubio is also an excellent defender. He uses his long arms and his height (6-foot-4) to disrupt passing lanes and terrorize the offense. Most importantly, he understands defense and rarely puts himself in a bad position.

So why isn't Rubio ranked higher on our draft board? While there is very little doubt that he'll be a phenomenal European player, he lacks the elite athleticism and explosiveness that is essential in the NBA. Rubio isn't a bad athlete, but he doesn't have the spectacular speed of many of the NBA's elite point guards, like Chris Paul or Tony Parker.
Rubio is also still figuring out his jump shot. He can be solid from midrange but doesn't shoot with much accuracy from distance. Rubio is improving in this area, but he still has a long way to go.

I'd expect to see Rubio play an important role off the bench for the Spanish national team in the Olympics. His defensive ability alone will get him opportunities, and his leadership skills allow him to play confidently, even against the top talent in the world. I think many of us are crossing our fingers for a Spain-USA gold medal game.

If there is someone else to keep an eye on in the Olympics beside Rubio, it is Australia's Patrick Mills. The Australians continue to produce some serious basketball players -- Aussie Andrew Bogut was the first pick in the 2005 NBA draft and center Nathan Jawai was drafted in the second round this year. This Australian national team has two NBA prospects -- Mills and Joe Ingles.

Mills is a super-quick combo guard who played for Saint Mary's (Calif.) last season as a freshman, averaging 14.8 points per game and 3.5 assists. Mills put on a show against Team USA in a warm-up game, leading the Australian team with 13 points off the bench. Mills, like Jawai, is an indigenous Australian from a tiny place called Thursday Island. He has the speed and quickness that NBA teams love in their point guards, but he is a bit undersized and an inconsistent shooter -- think a poor man's Tony Parker.

Ingles is a 6-foot-8 small forward with an excellent midrange game and good scoring instincts. Ingles has better size (and a better feel for the game) than fellow Aussie Brad Newley, whom the Rockets drafted in 2007. The downside for Ingles is that he lacks great strength and athleticism. He isn't bad in those areas, but he'll struggle to hang with the NBA's elite athletes.

After those three prospects, things drop off very quickly. A few NBA scouts are interested in Iranian big man Hamed Hadadi ... but he's already 23 and no longer eligible for the draft. Hadadi, who stands 7-foot-2, has had a few impressive games this summer. NBA teams can sign him as a free agent.

Meanwhile, China's Jianghua Chen is a local favorite thanks to his AND-1 antics. But most NBA scouts see him as an out-of-control showboater who will never play in the league.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Red

TYPE-A
Personally I wouldn't mind Marbury back but the problem is his contract is too large. If he is willing to take a pay cut (which 99% of players aren't) I would like to keep him baring some crazy trade proposel

Paul1355

All Star
Interesting news, being that all of these Euro teams suddenly have alot of money i hope this kid can make the states and possibly be on this team if we can get him in a lottery. Crossing my fingers, but he looks good and our team doesnt look like a playoff contender so a lottery pick seems perfect for a top young Euro prospect.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Personally I wouldn't mind Marbury back but the problem is his contract is too large. If he is willing to take a pay cut (which 99% of players aren't) I would like to keep him baring some crazy trade proposel
He only has 1 year left on his contract. He makes 21 million, but it's only one season. He has a guaranteed contract, so you can't give him a pay cut. Trading him would mean that the Knicks would have to take a longer contract in return, and it would mean that the 5 ppg on 38% shooting Duhon would most likely start. Buying out or Waiving him would lead to a championship contender signing him for less money.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
I meant re-sign Marbury after his contract expires (if we can't get a good replacement) next off season when he is a free agent. He probably wants a ridiculas contract and will go to the highest bidder,but like I said if he wants to take a pay cut (after this season) and play for us then I don't have any problems with that as long as he's all healed up and productive.
I really don't know why people hate on him so much. Besides getting injured and supposedly leaving the team (after Isiah told him to go) he's really not that bad considering other options.
The only way I can support Duhon is if the other players step it up big time and all we need is someone to bring the ball up the court. Besides that he's a back up at best.

Red

TYPE-A
I'm getting the feeling we (the NBA) is overhyping the Euro leagues and the possiblity of defection etc...just to kind of give the impression that there is no drop off in talent, that the leagues are interchangeable to promote the NBA world wide- It seems like it's part of their whole marketing scheme.
I remember when there were only a hand full of Euro's who really could compete in the league and most of them were limited and 1 dimensional. Now they way the media has it Euro ball players are the best thing since sliced bread.
***Note: Superior (usually black) athletes run this Sh*t. Unless you have got many teams that consist of these types of players stop gassing me to think these Euro's are all that. I would rather sign a playground street ball legend from the and 1 tour than some of these 1980's Larry Bird wanna be's- just my opinion

metrocard

Legend
^ No one is saying Euros are the best basketball players in the world.

Euroleague is VERY COMPETITIVE and has made a huge improvement from the 80's.

WTF...a street ball ledgend > Larry Bird?

You're a clown.

Man, **** streetball.
Its cool for entertainment from an individual.
But if you're a sports fan and a fan of TEAM sports, you would understand.

Puerto Rico is loaded with this streetball nonsense, and thats why they always get a beating from Greece in international ball.

Greece is a hard nosed 99' Knicks type team, with everyone knowing their with the best defense in the Olympics. Everyone on that team can defend and pass.

First of all, watch a Euroleague game before you talk caca.
Most Euros don't play like Larry Bird, no one did.

Spain is still the best team in the world until USA can prove they can defeat them when it counts.
Same goes with Greece and Argentina.

USA isn't dominant anymore, sorry kid.

Chemistry > Talent.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
euroleague is not all dat, i got a couple of friends who play professional over there, u really dont have to be great to play out there, just need to kno how to play ball, i could make it out there, u just need a name out here

metrocard

Legend
Your friends are scrubs in a division 3 team.. You don't know what you're talking about.
Whats their names and what team and division they play in? Post their profiles, pull their stats out...they better not be some random well known dudes that way I'll know you're lying.

You could make it?
What league you play in?
You play college ball?
Height?
Weight?
Do you have and agent?
Make me laugh.

Euroleague is ALL THAT, it isn't all that because you never watched it.

Red

TYPE-A
^ No one is saying Euros are the best basketball players in the world.

Euroleague is VERY COMPETITIVE and has made a huge improvement from the 80's.

WTF...a street ball ledgend > Larry Bird?

You're a clown.

Man, **** streetball.
Its cool for entertainment from an individual.
But if you're a sports fan and a fan of TEAM sports, you would understand.

Puerto Rico is loaded with this streetball nonsense, and thats why they always get a beating from Greece in international ball.

Greece is a hard nosed 99' Knicks type team, with everyone knowing their with the best defense in the Olympics. Everyone on that team can defend and pass.

First of all, watch a Euroleague game before you talk caca.
Most Euros don't play like Larry Bird, no one did.

Spain is still the best team in the world until USA can prove they can defeat them when it counts.
Same goes with Greece and Argentina.

USA isn't dominant anymore, sorry kid.

Chemistry > Talent.

Read the post please....I never said, anyone said Euro's are the "best in the world" -I said (sarcastically) that they were being overhyped as if they were the best thing since sliced bread.
I said too many "wanna be" Larry Birds are getting overhyped and that I have witnessed players (not just street ballers or And 1 ballers) who would eat some of these one dimentional Euro players food!
It seems like hype including the whole Lebron and Koby might go across sea's thing like the Euro league is synonomous w/the NBA
When a Euro team (Greece, Italy who the F*ck ever team) plays a full NBA season (and wins the chmpionshp) then tell me about how good they are. And trust me I've watched plenty. Those teams you mentioned are good in Europe against other European teams. Its like Canadien or Euro football. Is every player involved garbage? No. Can some compete on an NFL/NBA level? Sure (especially in the right system) but besides maybe Dirk or another handfull of players why is the NBA hyping these dudes like they are quintesential all around ballers when they are not.
All we here about is they play good team defense and can shoot the lights out...they forget to mention the lack of heart and athleticism.
Bottom line IMO it's all hype to sell this whole world wide NBA thing.

I'm a clown.....ha ha ha ha whatever you wanna debate about is cool. Im new to the forum (although) I've been reading it for a while so if you need me to prove anything to you as far as my Bask"ball IQ let me know son. Besides that, keep your negative comments to yourself (unless your a Euro) then that might explain why u were offended. In that case here's a wet wipe:baby:

metrocard

Legend
That sarcasm was as poor as Crawford's defense.
No one has overhyped Euros since Darko.

You're speaking non-sense now.
Name me one Euro who has been compared to Bird.
When you had a fellow American (Adam Morrison) who was glorified as the next Bird and turned out to be a complete bust.

You're really limited in knowledge on basketball itself to come out randomly on some opinion shit where you believe streetball > these make believe one dimensional Euros in your imagination.

First of all, you can't even name 5 Euroleague teams without google, nor 20 elite Euroleague players.
So why should I take your word on what you believe?
Your opinion is doodoo, it lacks substance, logic and research; you coming off a lot of ignorant sh*t right now.

Aren't MOST streetballers one dimensional(majority lack skill in most departments except crossover dribble), so aren't you contradicting yourself and beating yourself in your own debate?
Why do I have to point out to you?

Readers, we have a man who's coming full throttle on this opinion of his where he's actually going to try to debate with no facts or research.
Pretty crazy right?

Dude, Italy isn't even in the Olympics, you failed yourself again and showed your ignorance by thinking all Euro teams play the same style.
Spain is more like the Phoneix Suns.
Greece is more like the Detroit Pistons.
Argentina play similar to the Lakers, where Ginobili is featured like Kobe and you have big men who can pass in and out.

No one has to play a full NBA season; thats why they have the Olympics and many other tournaments that determine which country is the BEST BASKETBALL COUNTRY.

Why the f*ck would guys like Ginobili and Gasol leave their elite teams to join this gay imaginary NBA league of yours where Argentina, Spain, and others will play for free in the NBA just to prove their the best to you? You're half retarded, the other half is unknown.
Thats really the dumbest thing I've heard and I'm feeling sorry that you have to make up things now.

Lack of heart and athleticism? Once again, you failed yourself.
You don't even know what athleticism is, and anyone could have heart; it doesn't rely on where you're from.

I'm not even a Euro, I'm just offended I was born in the same country as you; you really set Americans back a 100 years with your ignorance.

Your wisdom is 3GBs of ignorant on a 750MB USB key.

Red

TYPE-A
That sarcasm was as poor as Crawford's defense.
No one has overhyped Euros since Darko.

You're speaking non-sense now.
Name me one Euro who has been compared to Bird.
When you had a fellow American (Adam Morrison) who was glorified as the next Bird and turned out to be a complete bust.

You're really limited in knowledge on basketball itself to come out randomly on some opinion shit where you believe streetball > these make believe one dimensional Euros in your imagination.

First of all, you can't even name 5 Euroleague teams without google, nor 20 elite Euroleague players.
So why should I take your word on what you believe?
Your opinion is doodoo, it lacks substance, logic and research; you coming off a lot of ignorant sh*t right now.

Aren't MOST streetballers one dimensional(majority lack skill in most departments except crossover dribble), so aren't you contradicting yourself and beating yourself in your own debate?
Why do I have to point out to you?

Readers, we have a man who's coming full throttle on this opinion of his where he's actually going to try to debate with no facts or research.
Pretty crazy right?

Dude, Italy isn't even in the Olympics, you failed yourself again and showed your ignorance by thinking all Euro teams play the same style.
Spain is more like the Phoneix Suns.
Greece is more like the Detroit Pistons.
Argentina play similar to the Lakers, where Ginobili is featured like Kobe and you have big men who can pass in and out.

No one has to play a full NBA season; thats why they have the Olympics and many other tournaments that determine which country is the BEST BASKETBALL COUNTRY.

Why the f*ck would guys like Ginobili and Gasol leave their elite teams to join this gay imaginary NBA league of yours where Argentina, Spain, and others will play for free in the NBA just to prove their the best to you? You're half retarded, the other half is unknown.
Thats really the dumbest thing I've heard and I'm feeling sorry that you have to make up things now.

Lack of heart and athleticism? Once again, you failed yourself.
You don't even know what athleticism is, and anyone could have heart; it doesn't rely on where you're from.

I'm not even a Euro, I'm just offended I was born in the same country as you; you really set Americans back a 100 years with your ignorance.

Your wisdom is 3GBs of ignorant on a 750MB USB key.

My man reading comprehension- that means don't just read the words understand the CONTEXT which they were meant. Did I say Euro's were compared to Bird....NO I said they are wanna be Birds (that means I think Larry was good and most Euro's are over-hyped and suck) BTW a forum is for opinions. If you don't understand or agree build a bridge and get over it.

I also mentioned I know some street ballers that have more potential than some of these Euro's but I don't hear anything about them. BTW where do you think V. Carter, McGrady, Kobe, Iverson + play over the summer? Where do you think most players in the NBA developed their skills...I'll give you a hint: On the playground, in the street. Now I bet your thinking something like yeah but they don't know how to play organized team ball- thats what leagues, tourn.'s and school is for. And sure I would guess everyone was one dimensional at a point or another, but going through HS, college etc...some players develop their all around games because the competitiveness in the league would just expose their weaknesses just like what happens with Euro's. all the time. But to put my post in perspective I was simply stating the "over-hypedness" of some of these Euro players. (and I hope Gallo isn't in this category)Basically if they haven't consistently competed against fast, athletic types like those over here don't try and sell me on these dudes like they were tried and true proven to be no doubters. Show me a Euro-prospect who is considered a "can't miss" in the NBA, and I'll show you some over-hyped, over-rated player who was successful against other over-hyped players, who more than likely is going to come to the league and need more work because he's getting exposed.
"Aren't street ballers one dimensional"...?(I don't know are they? Here's where you develop your own opinion and it's o.k.) IMO I've seen street ballers (SB) hit consistent shots, play D etc...(and are 10x's as athletic as some Euro's and have heart) just like anyone else...I don't need research for that. Are SB's usually more athletic (by this I mean, quicker, faster, stronger)? Yes in my opinion they are. Don't need research for that one either. Do SB's get all the hype as some EURO prospects? No...guess what I didn't research that one either. But yet I'm hearing about 17 yr olds. and top draft picks [HERE'S where COMPREHENSION is really important] who don't have the same upside or potential as others not just SB's. Why? Well IMO it's a way to market and expand the NBA - but it leads to us being gassed that some of these players are better than they really are.

Now just for sh*ts and giggles I'm going to play secretary and type with you.
First I guess your post was an attempt to try and demean my opinion and intel., while portraying yourself as smart. Thats funny because you missed the whole point of my post. Second I never asked you to "take my word on what I believe" which makes no sense, I simply stated my opinion and didn't ask you for yours. Third every opinion isn't based on "research" although I agree facts and points are further validated by creditable info. in this case once again it was my opinion. (BTW Does it offend you when people have their own opinions which differ from yours?) Thats too bad because your on a public forum which people can post whatever they want within reason. This might lead to you getting offended. My opinion (there's that word again) you should take all that energy you use to respond to posts, and your big brain (w/ google know how) and research behavioral traits and causes for those who feel a need to attempt to demean and control- read the part about lack of reading comprehension and writing motivated by hate and anger 3x's...then take my nuts out your mouth.
Damn I just read your whole post...you have to be kidding me>? All SB's can do is crossover>?>Italy isn't in the olympics (when did i say that)>?>Why do I think P Gasol and others come over here to prove themselves- you just proved my point einstein>?>I dont know what athleticism is- you sound crazy>?>"Thats why they have the olympics and other tournaments- to see who the best basketball country is"- I mention I think the NBA overhypes some Euro Players and you talking about the olympics shows who's the best basketball country- Is it me or are you ignorant? Finally that whole "readers do you believe this" c'mon my man turning people against me, like people can't form their own opinion- you should be ashamed of yourself.

PS
I shouldn't have to name any Euro's who sucked but were hyped.

Paul1355

All Star
The Knicks should be looking at this kid and being that they selected a Euro over other NCAA top prospects you can expect them to be eyeing Rubio.

metrocard

Legend
Your sentence have no context or logic, or fact for that matter. You really a lot of room for improvement in terms of making your nonsense understandable.

Like, no one in this forum understands your first paragraph. You said Euro's are wanna be Birds but failed TWICE in a row to give me an example.
You're not giving any examples or facts here, how can I take you seriously?
You're just some rookie excited to be in the line up.
Now the SPOTLIGHT is on you boy, and you failing; even when I'm giving you clues that would benefit you in your favor.

Opinion is whatever.
But when you come here with no facts or evidence, why should I even consider listening to your opinion?
You need to stop being ignorant and expecting everyone to be nice to you. Especially after spewing some ignorant *ss statements.

"You know some streetballers"?

Name them.

What is potential? Educate us.

Yeh, I'm pretty sure elite NBA players spend the majority of their time training in the public playground because NBA teams don't have any training facilities.

I wonder where you got your sources from.

Guys like Kobe, Carter, T'Mac, Iverson became great players because of their skill. If they didn't have skill, they would just be another JR Smith, Darius Miles and Dajuan Wagner.

Kobe, Carter, T'Mac and Iverson developed their skill and ability in organized basketball.

Not streetball.
Do they have fancy moves? Yes.
But they're effective purely based on their ability, experience and skill + confidence.

The rest of your 2nd paragraph makes no sense and is just a ramble.
Maybe you should put more effort into thinking things out then just tryng to type everything you could think of.

Euro's haven't been hyped up since Darko. Once again, you're not bringing any evidence to the table.

Like an ass, you catorgized Italy and Greece together. Italy isn't a top 3 Euro team...are Italy and Greece the only times you know? Do you even know top 5 players from Italy?

Enlighten us on your knowledge on Euro basketball or just sh*t the f*ck about it.
Simply, your problem is that your ignorance is holding you back from searching for knowledge.
Just because you don't know much about Eurobasket doesn't mean its automatically garbage and whatever comes out of there to here is "hype"
Thats ignorant.

You turned people here against you with the limited information you provided in this forum.
You really think people here give a damn about your opinion?
This isn't a myspace blog.
This is the BEST Knicks forum, you could formulate your own opinion; but at the same time you could also enlighten the forum with some facts that support it. You in here with some of the best.

Congrats on being one of the worst rookies.
You talk about Euros being hyped but failed to name ONE in 4 post.

There were overhyped Euros.
A lot of draft picks get overhyped, its the DRAFT.

To say most Euros are Larry Bird wanna bes and overhyped without setting examples makes you look like you just graduated Pre-K.

*calls in Rivera to close this syht.*
rivephs010002.jpg

New New York

Quiet Storm
Do We really have a shot at this kid?

My favorite Draft website (Draft Express) has him going #1 and no one has him sliding past #2. Now OJ Mayo was considered a lock for number one this time last year. He would eventually slide as low as 7 and would eventually end up as we all know #3. Not that drastic a slip....but DeAndre Jordan was considered a top five pick this time last year peaked at number 3 in mock drafts and ends up a second rounder. My point is a lot can happen between now a next June. but lets just say he stays a top 3 pick. Meaning to have a legit shot at this guy we have to assume that we are in the bottom five in the league again, and if that is the case how much faith in D'antoni's offense will we have? After all the reason we want Rubio is because we feel he could be the second coming of Nash and feel he could help duplicate what Mike had in Pheonix. Now we all say it now that we are not expecting Mike to turn things around instantly but will we be saying that this time next year and how much faith will we have in international talent if Danillo does not contribute the way we expect him to next season? I kinda got off point....what I am trying to say is, if we want Rubio that means another season of losing for sure (unless he slips) and Danillo is going to have to win over the apprehensive Knick fans to have us trust in drafting international

Editors Note: I very much beleive in Mike D and even if we go 22/60 I still think he has the savvy to turn this thing around, but, we all know how we can be as Knick fans at times so that is my reason for mentioining potential frustration with him

Pricey

Rotation player
Also since Patty was on this article his stats for the game against powerhouse Argentina were.....

22pts, 9-17 FG%, 4-4 FT, 2 steals 1 assist and 2 rebs in 24 mins.

Doing Australia proud even though we stink.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
dajuan wagner would hav been a problem if it wasnt for injuries and i'll still take a palyer from college over a european any day, europeans to me are not athletic and very few are tough