Thread: Controversial Spanish Photo

Hybrid View

Default Controversial Spanish Photo

This tends to be an ethnicly diverse group. I was wondering what you all think of that controversial photo of the Spanish team making squinting eyes like the Chinese?

yeah not sure, they stated that the camera guy asked them to do it and stuff. Im sure it wasnt meant in bad taste.

Lurker

Originally Posted by Pricey
    yeah not sure, they stated that the camera guy asked them to do it and stuff. Im sure it wasnt meant in bad taste.
    lmao wasn't meant in bad taste? who are you trying to kid here? the spanish are clearly mocking the chinese here. pulling your eyes back to make "squinty eyes"? that's what elementary school children do to make fun of their asian peers.

Originally Posted by hammerdown
    lmao wasn't meant in bad taste? who are you trying to kid here? the spanish are clearly mocking the chinese here. pulling your eyes back to make "squinty eyes"? that's what elementary school children do to make fun of their asian peers.
    they were not doing it to mock them, they r in Bejing, they r doing a photo showing where the team was. Get over it. Its not racial, no need to make it into something it isnt.
    My mates Asian and he doesnt see anything wrong with it.

Lurker

Originally Posted by Pricey
    they were not doing it to mock them, they r in Bejing, they r doing a photo showing where the team was. Get over it. Its not racial, no need to make it into something it isnt.
    My mates Asian and he doesnt see anything wrong with it.
    so if the olympics were hosted in africa and the spanish team painted their faces black, they're doing it to show where the team is? i don't see the logic in this. is your mate chinese?

so you're basically saying the spanish team made squinty eyes because it represents where they are, and by acknowledging the fact that squinty eyes means "chinese" to everyone in the world, they are not stereotyping the chinese in any way and no racist sentiments were expressed.

just because your "mate" doesn't see anything wrong with it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. i'm very surprised at the ignorance expressed in your statement.
    Last edited by hammerdown; Aug 14, 2008 at 01:51.

Originally Posted by hammerdown
    so if the olympics were hosted in africa and the spanish team painted their faces black, they're doing it to show where the team is? i don't see the logic in this. is your mate chinese?

so you're basically saying the spanish team made squinty eyes because it represents where they are, and by acknowledging the fact that squinty eyes means "chinese" to everyone in the world, they are not stereotyping the chinese in any way and no racist sentiments were expressed.

just because your "mate" doesn't see anything wrong with it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. i'm very surprised at the ignorance expressed in your statement.
    See thats the problem with people these days, they dont take anything with a grain of salt. They did not do this to make fun of how Asian people look.
    If Asian people dont have a issue with this then why would u? Its not like they called them a deragortary name or something.
    Its like saying Americans dont stereotype Aussies, "Oh do u have a Kangaroo as a pet?" how fking dumb can people be. We just laugh just like what a lot of Asian people r doing, the Spainish look dumb but meant no harm.

Its not like they were playing China in Spain and pulled this stunt, they are in China and marking the occasion by pulling this facial for the camera. Some people need to relax

I don't think anyone mentioned that this is just a form of intimidation and Spain trying to put pressure on the Chinese team, that's all this is. Gets China angry so that they might play too aggresive in the olympics and possibly mess up along the way because of the anger of this photo which the Chinese team is probably pissed about.