Controversial Spanish Photo

knicklover

Benchwarmer
This tends to be an ethnicly diverse group. I was wondering what you all think of that controversial photo of the Spanish team making squinting eyes like the Chinese?

Racist%20Spanish%20basketball%20team.jpg

Pricey

Rotation player
yeah not sure, they stated that the camera guy asked them to do it and stuff. Im sure it wasnt meant in bad taste.

yeah not sure, they stated that the camera guy asked them to do it and stuff. Im sure it wasnt meant in bad taste.

lmao wasn't meant in bad taste? who are you trying to kid here? the spanish are clearly mocking the chinese here. pulling your eyes back to make "squinty eyes"? that's what elementary school children do to make fun of their asian peers.

Pricey

Rotation player
lmao wasn't meant in bad taste? who are you trying to kid here? the spanish are clearly mocking the chinese here. pulling your eyes back to make "squinty eyes"? that's what elementary school children do to make fun of their asian peers.
they were not doing it to mock them, they r in Bejing, they r doing a photo showing where the team was. Get over it. Its not racial, no need to make it into something it isnt.
My mates Asian and he doesnt see anything wrong with it.

they were not doing it to mock them, they r in Bejing, they r doing a photo showing where the team was. Get over it. Its not racial, no need to make it into something it isnt.
My mates Asian and he doesnt see anything wrong with it.

so if the olympics were hosted in africa and the spanish team painted their faces black, they're doing it to show where the team is? i don't see the logic in this. is your mate chinese?

so you're basically saying the spanish team made squinty eyes because it represents where they are, and by acknowledging the fact that squinty eyes means "chinese" to everyone in the world, they are not stereotyping the chinese in any way and no racist sentiments were expressed.

just because your "mate" doesn't see anything wrong with it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. i'm very surprised at the ignorance expressed in your statement.

Last edited:

Pricey

Rotation player
so if the olympics were hosted in africa and the spanish team painted their faces black, they're doing it to show where the team is? i don't see the logic in this. is your mate chinese?

so you're basically saying the spanish team made squinty eyes because it represents where they are, and by acknowledging the fact that squinty eyes means "chinese" to everyone in the world, they are not stereotyping the chinese in any way and no racist sentiments were expressed.

just because your "mate" doesn't see anything wrong with it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. i'm very surprised at the ignorance expressed in your statement.
See thats the problem with people these days, they dont take anything with a grain of salt. They did not do this to make fun of how Asian people look.
If Asian people dont have a issue with this then why would u? Its not like they called them a deragortary name or something.
Its like saying Americans dont stereotype Aussies, "Oh do u have a Kangaroo as a pet?" how fking dumb can people be. We just laugh just like what a lot of Asian people r doing, the Spainish look dumb but meant no harm.

Its not like they were playing China in Spain and pulled this stunt, they are in China and marking the occasion by pulling this facial for the camera. Some people need to relax

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
****ing hell its not that bad, some people need to harden up.

FFS, Spain is not as multicultural as America and Australia for that matter.

In Melbourne City, It is normal for me now to see more people of Indian and Australian descent, than anglo saxans. This isn't a bad thing, it shows multiculturalism.

Imagine this Spanish team, going to a country in a different language, with a population of over 1 billon people, of asian descent, they are just trying to remember their trip. Rubio's only 17. do you think he would love to have a photo of the whole Spanish team including Gasols, Nav, and Calderon, he will remember his first olympics for the rest of his life

Most people are so ****ing uptight in society, the fact that these are your first two posts hammerdown, suggests to me you probably googled this topic, came to this forum, and decided to post here. Do you even follow nba or go for the knicks?

And before people call me racist, Im in the process of booking my tickets to Hong Kong to visit two of my best mates, who guess what are Chinese

Last edited:
****ing hell its not that bad, some people need to harden up.

FFS, Spain is not as multicultural as America and Australia for that matter.

In Melbourne City, It is normal for me now to see more people of Indian and Australian descent, than anglo saxans. This isn't a bad thing, it shows multiculturalism.

Imagine this Spanish team, going to a country in a different language, with a population of over 1 billon people, of asian descent, they are just trying to remember their trip. Rubio's only 17. do you think he would love to have a photo of the whole Spanish team including Gasols, Nav, and Calderon, he will remember his first olympics for the rest of his life

Most people are so ****ing uptight in society, the fact that these are your first two posts hammerdown, suggests to me you probably googled this topic, came to this forum, and decided to post here. Do you even follow nba or go for the knicks?

And before people call me racist, Im in the process of booking my tickets to Hong Kong to visit two of my best mates, who guess what are Chinese

lmao @ the ad hominem remarks. i've been browsing this forum for a couple of months and it wasn't until this that i had something to say.

"uptight"? when you see your two friends in hong kong, why don't you pull back your eyes and say to them "look i'm in hong kong". it's a poor attempt at a joke.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Double Standards?

that's not racist. It might be in poor taste but this definitely is...

http://pubphilosopher.blogs.com/pub_philosopher/2008/07/blacks-banned-from-bars-in-beijing.html

Are black people being banned from bars in Beijing?
Last week, the South China Morning Post reported that black people and Mongolians were being banned from bars in Beijing during the Olympics. (A copy of the article is here if you don't want to register.) Bar owners claimed that they were being forced to sign agreements to exclude black people from their premises as part of a crackdown on 'undesirables'.

The Chinese government denied the story and some local bloggers have expressed doubt about it too. However, some black residents in Beijing have claimed that they often have to pay double the price to get into bars and, once they are in, are not allowed to sit down.

An overt ban on black people in bars and restaurants would surely be a crazy thing for the Beijing government to do, especially as it is trying to increase its influence in Africa. It's no good inviting your friends like Mugabe and al-Bashir over for a masterclass in oppressing dissidents if they can't get served in a restaurant afterwards.

I suspect that this might be one of those covert bans. Low ranking officials have probably been ordered to implement it so that the regime can distance itself from any fallout. That way the authorities can exclude 'undesirables' from bars in Beijing without upsetting the regime's proxy rulers in Africa.

That said, if past events are anything to go by, some Chinese people don't need much of an excuse to be nasty to black people.

http://newsguru.newsvine.com/_news/...bars-during-next-months-olympics?groupId=1543

A recent article in the South China Morning Post alleged that the Chinese government had ordered Beijing bars to ban blacks and other "undesirables" from entering during next month's Olympic Games.

The article stated, quote:

Bar owners near the Workers' Stadium in central Beijing say they have been forced by Public Security Bureau officials to sign pledges agreeing not to let black people enter their premises ... Security officials are targeting Sanlitun (district), which Olympic organizers expect to be a key destination for foreign tourists looking for a party during the Games. The pledges that Sanlitun bar owners had been instructed to sign agreed to stop a variety of activities in their establishments, including dancing and serving customers with black skin, they said....

Trin_Starr

Starter
It's not about two wrongs making a right...it is about the apparent double standards that exists.

How can they be upset with the photo and find it offensive and racist, yet are ready to ban black people from sitting in bars because of what ever prejudices they may have of them...that in itself is overtly racist.

"He who is without sin...cast the first stone."

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Somehow, not surprised the Chinese are racist against black people. But then look at the culture, not very inclusive. Black people clearly stand out all over the planet. Atleast the whites, look closer to them in all honesty. Keep your black ass in Brooklyn...that is all.

But if they show Lebron James or D-Wade going in..they'd get served.

What someone needs to do is address this to the players and see what their response will be....

Either they are going to be social leaders...or simply sheep because of the money...

40 million dollar slaves anyone?

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
lmao @ the ad hominem remarks. i've been browsing this forum for a couple of months and it wasn't until this that i had something to say.

"uptight"? when you see your two friends in hong kong, why don't you pull back your eyes and say to them "look i'm in hong kong". it's a poor attempt at a joke.

Lol, you haven't posted on anything else as this - doesn't support your knicks fan argument much.

I happen to have a little Irish accent (I was born there), my dad however has a full Irish accent, and when I used to bring mates around, some of them, would joke with me about the accent and impersonate it. Didn't give a shit.

Seriously I can't grasp how you would sign up just to show your opinions of this photo, I haven't even heard of this, hasn't reached our news in Ausland, but it cares so much to you. Btw, like Pricey said if I had money how many times someone asked If I had a pet Kangaroo, I'd be rich.

Time to grow up, and start enjoy life my friend

Paul1355

All Star
I don't think anyone mentioned that this is just a form of intimidation and Spain trying to put pressure on the Chinese team, that's all this is. Gets China angry so that they might play too aggresive in the olympics and possibly mess up along the way because of the anger of this photo which the Chinese team is probably pissed about.