Website has Dantoni as the 8th best coach in the league. Who agrees

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't know how Larry Brown got #2. Was he even coaching last year? And how did Mike Woodson go so low? The Atlanta Hawks were 37-45, and they still forced game 7 on the 66-16 Celtics. Doc Rivers should've been #30. He gets no credit from me. Why wasn't Isiah Thomas put on the list? I know he sucks, but there's 30 NBA head coaches, therefore, he should've been put at #29 or #30(I would've put him at 29 and Rivers at 30). Mike Dunleavy is coach of the 4 playoff appearances, in the last 32 years, Clippers. How does he get #11?

Paul1355

All Star
Brown at 2, is bullshyt he didnt even coach and he still has high expectations for coaching basketball even though we all saw him suck hard with our Knicks. Brown should be in the 20's...this evaluation isn't strong.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I would put Byron scott over Eddie Jordan. He has been atremendous coach, specially the gerat job with the Nets and anow the Hornets.

Just because Larry Brown had one awful year coaching the mess that is the Knicks does not mean he's not a hall of fame coach that doesn't deserve his place among the league's greats. Brown's resume in both the NBA and college speaks for itself.

Kiyaman

Legend
I would put Byron scott over Eddie Jordan. He has been atremendous coach, specially the gerat job with the Nets and anow the Hornets.

That one I would have to give a tie too. Byron Scott & Eddie Jordan may rank the same in the Top 10 best NBA coaches.

D'Antoni should not be in the ranking of Top 10 coaches.

Not with three Super-Star Players that would have gave the worst coach in the NBA the same amount of WINS.
Nash may have received the MVP, however the missing Super Star Captain Marion "Matrix" of the Suns, his leadership and performance was missing big time in their first round postseason performance. The team did'nt have a chance without Marion...

Kiyaman

Legend
I totally forgot about the infamous Coach Rick Carlyle, whom is unemployed do to Donnie Walsh.

Rick Carlyle was the Coach the Knicks needed for the next three seasons.
This man smells B-Ball talent from miles away. He put together the Detroit Championship Team. And gave that Detroit team problems in the ECF too.

I would drop Walsh & D'Antoni in the nearest garbage dump at the drop of a heartbeat for Head Coach Rick Carlyle for the Knicks...

TunerAddict

Starter
I totally forgot about the infamous Coach Rick Carlyle, whom is unemployed do to Donnie Walsh.

Rick Carlyle was the Coach the Knicks needed for the next three seasons.
This man smells B-Ball talent from miles away. He put together the Detroit Championship Team. And gave that Detroit team problems in the ECF too.

I would drop Walsh & D'Antoni in the nearest garbage dump at the drop of a heartbeat for Head Coach Rick Carlyle for the Knicks...

:smokin:

You must be high...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
No one is going to agree on the rating system. First thing I have a problem with is Phil Jackson at the top spot. Forget about the rings. Any of us could have coached Jordan or Shaq to a championship. To me Phil loses credit because he only picks title contenders to coach. I'd give Phil a #2 at best.

You've got to give Larry Brown credit for wining NBA and NCAA championships. Every team he's coached (minus the Knicks) have made it to the play offs. Brown should be in the top three, where exactly, I don't know.

Jerry Sloan is a great coach for a bad franchise. He should have gotten more credit then 'he's been around for a long time'. This asshole should read a wikipedia article before posting historic facts.

To me Adelman and D'Antoni are equally comparable. You can place one above the other if you want but they should be side by side, like 5,6 or 7,8.

Byron Scott is way underrated. I've seen him to more with less. Not many coaches on this list have accomplished that.

All in all I'd grade this list a C+. The author should have taken a risk, give Phil a number two instead of following the bandwagon.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Just because Larry Brown had one awful year coaching the mess that is the Knicks does not mean he's not a hall of fame coach that doesn't deserve his place among the league's greats. Brown's resume in both the NBA and college speaks for itself.

I'm not saying Larry Brown isnt a top ten coach, hell, I'll even go as far as 5 but no way is he the second best coach in the league. And yes you have to consider his last season when you assess him, but, even without that 23 wins season I'd still put Popovich, Jerry Sloan and Byron Scott ahead of him.

My top 10

1.Phil Jackson- best mind in the game. The only coach of our generation who can be compared to Red Auerbach

2.Gregg Popovich- if he were coaching in LA, Bos or NY he'd be a legend, but because he has only won five titles with a mid market team then he tends to slip under the radar. But there has not been a more successful coach in the past ten years than him

3.Larry Brown- almost (can no longer say every) all the teams that he leaves are better off after he leaves them, he (and his coaching staff) is responsible for the development of PGs like Mark Jackson, Eric Snow, and Chauncy Billups

4. Jerry Sloan- the fact he didnt quit after Malone and Stockton left says a lot about him, the fact that his teams have stayed competitive since in a tough Western Conference says even more. Had it not been for The Bulls he for sure would have atleast two Championships on his resume.

5.Doc Rivers- ok so eveyone thinks because they had the "Big 3" that anyone could have coached them to a title, consider Phil Jackson could not win with
four Hall of Famers and you will see that a winner on paper still needs to be coached well. Had Doc not won it all in two seasons with the Big 3 he is for sure fired for a Hall of Fame coach; he does it in just one. Now lets consider that Orlando Magic team that he nearly led to the playoffs in his first season as a coach then you realize that he is indeed a good coach. Game 4 of the NBA finals his team is down by 26, none of his star players had been in this situation nor had he, and he still has them beleiving they could win the game, and they do; I hate the C's but after that night Doc became a great coach in my eyes for giving that team the confidence to win.

6. Our Coach!- Mike D is a innovator, I remeber when I first started to like him was the first game Steph had against the Suns after he was traded to The Knicks, he had the Suns playing hard that game even though the season was lost by then. When the Suns started winning noone thought it would last, then everyone said there is no way he could win with that style of play in the playoffs, now his style of play is considered the future of the leatue.

7.Byron Scott- Won in NJ when no one gave them a chance. Then duplicates the same thing in N.O.

8.Eddie Jordan- The most underrated coach in the league. I live in Washington and I tell you this dude is one bad season away from getting fired, however he never has a bad season. I think had the Wiz not made the playoffs even with Gilbert out Eddie would have caught hell from fans and the media, but without his best player most of the way his team stayed solid

9.Rick Carslile- nothing flashy about him he can just flat out coach

10.Don Nelson- The very defenition of a innovator, didnt do well with the Knicks, but has done well everywhere else. Put Dallas back on the B Ball map, and did the same for G-State not once but twice. And ofcourse the creator of the "Point Foward" position.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm not saying Larry Brown isnt a top ten coach, hell, I'll even go as far as 5 but no way is he the second best coach in the league. And yes you have to consider his last season when you assess him, but, even without that 23 wins season I'd still put Popovich, Jerry Sloan and Byron Scott ahead of him.

My top 10

1.Phil Jackson- best mind in the game. The only coach of our generation who can be compared to Red Auerbach

2.Gregg Popovich- if he were coaching in LA, Bos or NY he'd be a legend, but because he has only won five titles with a mid market team then he tends to slip under the radar. But there has not been a more successful coach in the past ten years than him

3.Larry Brown- almost (can no longer say every) all the teams that he leaves are better off after he leaves them, he (and his coaching staff) is responsible for the development of PGs like Mark Jackson, Eric Snow, and Chauncy Billups

4. Jerry Sloan- the fact he didnt quit after Malone and Stockton left says a lot about him, the fact that his teams have stayed competitive since in a tough Western Conference says even more. Had it not been for The Bulls he for sure would have atleast two Championships on his resume.

5.Doc Rivers- ok so eveyone thinks because they had the "Big 3" that anyone could have coached them to a title, consider Phil Jackson could not win with
four Hall of Famers and you will see that a winner on paper still needs to be coached well. Had Doc not won it all in two seasons with the Big 3 he is for sure fired for a Hall of Fame coach; he does it in just one. Now lets consider that Orlando Magic team that he nearly led to the playoffs in his first season as a coach then you realize that he is indeed a good coach. Game 4 of the NBA finals his team is down by 26, none of his star players had been in this situation nor had he, and he still has them beleiving they could win the game, and they do; I hate the C's but after that night Doc became a great coach in my eyes for giving that team the confidence to win.

6. Our Coach!- Mike D is a innovator, I remeber when I first started to like him was the first game Steph had against the Suns after he was traded to The Knicks, he had the Suns playing hard that game even though the season was lost by then. When the Suns started winning noone thought it would last, then everyone said there is no way he could win with that style of play in the playoffs, now his style of play is considered the future of the leatue.

7.Byron Scott- Won in NJ when no one gave them a chance. Then duplicates the same thing in N.O.

8.Eddie Jordan- The most underrated coach in the league. I live in Washington and I tell you this dude is one bad season away from getting fired, however he never has a bad season. I think had the Wiz not made the playoffs even with Gilbert out Eddie would have caught hell from fans and the media, but without his best player most of the way his team stayed solid

9.Rick Carslile- nothing flashy about him he can just flat out coach

10.Don Nelson- The very defenition of a innovator, didnt do well with the Knicks, but has done well everywhere else. Put Dallas back on the B Ball map, and did the same for G-State not once but twice. And ofcourse the creator of the "Point Foward" position.

You know what is right and wrong about your selection, is you added a coach with only 3 full seasons of NBA experience over some well proven coaches that did well at coaching more than one team medocre rosters, yet you added some of these coaches, however........
Both Van Gundy, Pat Riley, Karl, Dunleavy, McMillian, and Don Nelson have proven with over twice the amount of NBA experience to be a better strategy coach than the 3 year resume of coach D'Antoni (That is why he is considered a Celebrity Coach, not the 6 or 8th best coach in the NBA).

The 2008-9 season with the Knicks will be coach D'Antoni's first test of being a real NBA coach.
After coach D'Antoni second season of coaching the Knicks will be the time to evaluate where he belongs in the Top-10 coaches in the NBA.

The Nets coach Frank would have had 5 winning seasons if the Nets would have never traded K-Mart, Kittles, and Johnson, 4 seasons ago, and kept their first 7 players off the bench.
And I guess he would be considered 6 or the 8th best coach in the league too.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
larry brown = most overrated coach of all time, was blessed wit great teams every team he suceeded or he went to a good situation

Paul1355

All Star
Larry Brown was horrible, he was good with the Pistons becuase he had a team with deep talent that became one of the best teams of this day without him. His time with the Knicks showed most Knick fans that he isn't as good as we all thought. I hope he does good with the Bobcats, I doubt they will be amazing though.

No one is going to agree on the rating system. First thing I have a problem with is Phil Jackson at the top spot. Forget about the rings. Any of us could have coached Jordan or Shaq to a championship. To me Phil loses credit because he only picks title contenders to coach. I'd give Phil a #2 at best.

You've got to give Larry Brown credit for wining NBA and NCAA championships. Every team he's coached (minus the Knicks) have made it to the play offs. Brown should be in the top three, where exactly, I don't know.

Jerry Sloan is a great coach for a bad franchise. He should have gotten more credit then 'he's been around for a long time'. This asshole should read a wikipedia article before posting historic facts.

To me Adelman and D'Antoni are equally comparable. You can place one above the other if you want but they should be side by side, like 5,6 or 7,8.

Byron Scott is way underrated. I've seen him to more with less. Not many coaches on this list have accomplished that.

All in all I'd grade this list a C+. The author should have taken a risk, give Phil a number two instead of following the bandwagon.

So you want to argue Larry Brown being #3 instead of #2? ok :rolleyes:

Paul1355

All Star
Byron Scott gets the nod

Even though the players form Charlotte came off injuries to play 100% last year, Byron Scott should get the nod as top 3 last year. He was basically kicked out of NJ because people didn't like his coaching and then he almost went to the Championship with a young Hornets team. He redeemed himself as a coach.