Cleverland's Morning Journal has Cavs talking to Knicks about a big man.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Apparently the Cavs need a big man and have turned to the Knicks. It doesn't specify who they want, but they mentioned that they can use Snow's contract as they will not be able to use his injury exception.
I guess more will come because they didn't specify anything else:

"Rumor mill
* The rumor mill has been churning after the Williams deal. The Cavs could be talking to the Knicks about a big man.
* Veteran shooting guard Michael Finley re-signed with San Antonio, but the Cavs wanted to add him to their crowded backcourt.
* Technically, the Cavs can still trade point guard Eric Snow, but they wouldn't be able to use the injury exception. There is no update on his injury settlement with the insurance company"

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20020902&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It's got to be Randolph they're after. Ilgauskas is solid. My guess is they're trying to move Wallace. Snow's contract is only $7 mill, not sure what that's all about. On the other hand if we trade Curry for Wallace we'd have a hell of a front court with Wallace/Randolph. That's a front court that can work.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I have a perfect idea:

Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, and Fred Jones

for

Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, and a 2010 first round pick

And before the haters try to attack me:
1) This is just a suggestion
2) I think Cleveland would do this trade, if offered, because Zach Randolph is an offensive threat and Fred Jones is a good defensive threat.
3) Ben Wallace has the same amount of money on his contract as Eddy Curry.
4) The Cavs just recently traded for Mo Williams; he has more years on his contract than Randolph and Curry.

New New York

Quiet Storm
The most likely scenerio is that we want Wally Z for Zach and they want to give us Ben Wallace. I would prefer Wally but I would not be against Ben Wallace. I see us having to give up a pick in a trade for Wally and us getting a pick for Ben Wallace.

Ben Wallace
top 5 protected 2010 pick
for
Zach

or

Wally Z
for
Zach and 2012 pick

The problem is that The Cavs need a SG so aside from his expiring contract the Cavs like Wally as their SG. I propose once more that we just throw Crawford into the mix. That trade again is

Crawford
Zach
for
Wally Z
Eric Snow
Terrence Kinley (needed to make the numbers work)

Knicks
Steph/Duhon
Q/Nate/Roberson
Chandler/Gallanari
Lee/Galanari/Jefferies
Curry/Lee

Cavs
Williams
Crawford
Lebron
Zach
Big Z or Ben

We have a competitive team and The Cavs are serious contenders for the East Title and possibly the NBA Title in two years after they gel

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The most likely scenerio is that we want Wally Z for Zach and they want to give us Ben Wallace. I would prefer Wally but I would not be against Ben Wallace. I see us having to give up a pick in a trade for Wally and us getting a pick for Ben Wallace.

Ben Wallace
top 5 protected 2010 pick
for
Zach

or

Wally Z
for
Zach and 2012 pick
The Knicks don't have to give the Cavs a draft pick, to get Wally Szczerbiak.
Zach Randolph averaged 17.6 points and 10.3 rebounds, last year. The Knicks would just have to include Mardy Collins or Fred Jones. Personally, I like my trade idea better, because it gets rid of Curry and Randolph, but your idea is fine, minus the 2012 pick.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i hope we get rid of Randolph or Curry i doubt either of them is on the team when the season starts and if Randolph goes to Cleveland then they my favs for the championship Randolph wont be a ball-hog on the cavs not with LeBron running things and we free up alot of cap space with it and if we get Wallace and curry isnt traded then that wont be such a bad backcourt

Kiyaman

Legend
The Cavs Coach Brown will work on turning center Ben Wallace back into the Strong-Foward he was that won the defensive of the year award this upcomming season. This way Big-Z would be able to rebound and score, with F/C-Varejao as both their Backups.

The only bigman that the Cavs should want on the Knicks roster is "6.6 Marty Collins" to turn him into a defensive-minded SG to play alongside of scoring PG-Daniel Gibson and scoring PG-Mo Williams.
With the help of Point-Foward Lebron James the task of changing Collins into a defending SG would be a quick transaction (because Collins can pass off his dribble with one hand and defend against SF, SG, and PG).

With Lebron, Mo Williams, and Gibson in the backcourt they are looking for a 28 mpg SG that is not looking to score but pick, pass, and defend...

New New York

Quiet Storm
The Knicks don't have to give the Cavs a draft pick, to get Wally Szczerbiak.
Zach Randolph averaged 17.6 points and 10.3 rebounds, last year. The Knicks would just have to include Mardy Collins or Fred Jones. Personally, I like my trade idea better, because it gets rid of Curry and Randolph, but your idea is fine, minus the 2012 pick.

I dont see the Cavs really wanting or needing Curry. They have Z so they really dont need Eddy.

The reason the Cavs would get a pick in the Wally Z scenerio is that Wally's contract expires immediatley and they would also be giving up there only true SG, not to mention Zach has some major bagagge take all that into consideration then you have to think The Cavs may want more than just Zach. maybe a pick might not be needed but, at the same time no way The Cavs make this deal straight up. I said in another Thread that Nate and Zach for Wally's contract and maybe a 2010 pick would be fair.

I agree with Donnie Walsh in that we need to not just give our players away, but at the same time we need to recongnize a good deal. If we could get Zach off the books next year I would take it. Plus if we get Zach off the books I think the rest of the league would realize that we are no longer pressed to make a deal and would start to make real offers.

Also think about this, if we had Wally Z's 14 million dollar contract and David Lee to offer we could land ourselves a very nice player at the trade deadline.

Paul1355

All Star
A question

The Cavs don't want Curry, they want Zach, they want scorers to help Lebron. We can all agree that if Lebron had Mo Williams and Zach with him against the Celtics in the playoffs, that they would have gone to the championship. my question is that I know Wally Z's contract expires but what about Ben Wallace?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I dont see the Cavs really wanting or needing Curry. They have Z so they really dont need Eddy.

The reason the Cavs would get a pick in the Wally Z scenerio is that Wally's contract expires immediatley and they would also be giving up there only true SG, not to mention Zach has some major bagagge take all that into consideration then you have to think The Cavs may want more than just Zach. maybe a pick might not be needed but, at the same time no way The Cavs make this deal straight up. I said in another Thread that Nate and Zach for Wally's contract and maybe a 2010 pick would be fair.

I agree with Donnie Walsh in that we need to not just give our players away, but at the same time we need to recongnize a good deal. If we could get Zach off the books next year I would take it. Plus if we get Zach off the books I think the rest of the league would realize that we are no longer pressed to make a deal and would start to make real offers.

Also think about this, if we had Wally Z's 14 million dollar contract and David Lee to offer we could land ourselves a very nice player at the trade deadline.
I still don't see how the Knicks would have to give up a first round pick to get Wally Szczerbiak. Wally Szczerbiak is not as good as he was, and Randolph is still averaging double doubles. Trading our first round pick, so that the Cavs could also get a good power forward makes no sense. For that, the Knicks' trade with the Clippers would've been good. I know Randolph's contract is bad, but he averages good numbers, too. There's no need to give away Randolph and a first round pick for 1 player. That's just dumb. If the Cavs don't want to make a Randolph for Szczerbiak trade, then screw them. They're not going to find a better power forward than Randolph via trade.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Wally and Ben

Wally has one more year - 2008 - at $13M. Ben has two more years at $14.5M in 2008 and $14M in 2009. Zach gets $14.67M in 2008, $16M in 2009 and $17.33M in 2010. Curry gets $9.7M in 2008, $10.5 in 2009 and $17.33 in 2010.

In order to have cap space in 2010, we have to get rid of Zach Randolph before 2010. The sooner we do it, the easier it will be to make it happen. I do not think D'Antoni's style is going to improve his market value. Cleveland does not want both Z-Bo and Curry. Curry's contract going forward is much less onerous than Zach's. I think it will be easier to trade him later, even though I would be surprised if D'Antoni's style of play will increase his value. But miracles do happen.

The Knicks have never been shy about spending money. The extra money for Wallace's contract will not croak them. They certainly should not give up a draft pick under any circumstances. They are rebuilding. You need draft picks to rebuild.

If there is a deal, I expect it to be Zach for Wallace.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It would be a dream come true if Cleavland wanted Curry and Randolph, but after last season no one could be that stupid to put both of them in the front court together could they? In all likelihood Cleavland wants Randolph, and if Walsh is smart he'd take Wally's expiring contract for Zach straight up, but for some odd reason the Cavs want Curry then we should get Wallace in return. Some one's got to play the center position.

Randolph for Szczerbiak (expiring contract, final year)
or
Curry for Wallace

New New York

Quiet Storm
The Cavs don't want Curry, they want Zach, they want scorers to help Lebron. We can all agree that if Lebron had Mo Williams and Zach with him against the Celtics in the playoffs, that they would have gone to the championship. my question is that I know Wally Z's contract expires but what about Ben Wallace?

Ben Wallace is practical as well, but I would a pick in that scenerio because Ben is a player we probably would not get much use out of. But Wally would essentially undo the Steve Francis trade, and like I mentioned before Wally's expiring contract and David Lee would land us a nice player at the trade deadline.

Here is an article that states the Cavs may have an interest in D. Lee, but I don't think so. Zach is the obvious choicehttp://beat.bodoglife.com/sports/fresh-off-three-team-trade-will-cavs-acquire-a-big-34973.html

dre48ny

Rotation player
maybe they want jerome james
That's funny!!

I think they probably want Zbo, they need a scoring PF. They have lacked this in the past and now. The big "Z" is still productive at the Center position. I would love Zbo for Wally straight up, no draft picks. Win win for both teams.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
That's funny!!

I think they probably want Zbo, they need a scoring PF. They have lacked this in the past and now. The big "Z" is still productive at the Center position. I would love Zbo for Wally straight up, no draft picks. Win win for both teams.

i agree if the knicks can some how dump zach that would be great, hes a selfish player i hope they get rid of him.

Kiyaman

Legend
It would be a dream come true if Cleavland wanted Curry and Randolph, but after last season no one could be that stupid to put both of them in the front court together could they? In all likelihood Cleavland wants Randolph, and if Walsh is smart he'd take Wally's expiring contract for Zach straight up, but for some odd reason the Cavs want Curry then we should get Wallace in return. Some one's got to play the center position.

Randolph for Szczerbiak (expiring contract, final year)
or
Curry for Wallace

So far this offseason it looks like Walsh and D'Antoni want to keep last season Curry & Zach frontcourt. And that does say alot about the two.

SF-Wally makes $13 million this season, which would add up even to both MLE J.J. on the Knicks.
I could see the Cavs wanting Curry with Lebron skilled passing and having Ben & Varejao for rebounding and defense.
But I can not see Lebron putting up with Zach Randolph (attitude) after their first game.
The Cavs interested in Zach have to be a humorous rumor that a Knick-Fan or Knick writer made up.
Under the Cavs regime Eddy Curry will perform 10 times better than he did for the Knicks and Bulls.

With this Knicks frontoffice we have to be prepared for the unexpected, even a sign and trade for Delonte West.
The Knicks are not subtracting and adding on any of their positions.
Someone mentioned SG-Fred Jones, which I think would be a wise move for the Cavs to use half of their MLE on this offseason. His defense and hops would go well in the Cavs backcourt this season.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Correction

In a previous post on this thread I listed Curry's 2010 salary at $17.33M. That is Zach's 2010 salary. Curry's contract in 2010 is for $11.27M.

Cleveland has nothing of value to give us for Lee, except perhaps draft picks. Cleveland does not need cap space in 2010 to keep LeBron. If New York and Cleveland are in fact talking, I hope it is about Zach. Wally would be a better fit for the Knicks than Wallace, but Cleveland, if it were to take Zach, would certainly want to dump Wallace's two years at $14.5M and $14M. There is no reason for Cleveland to be generous. And I do not want the Knicks to give up draft picks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Interesting article....hate to give up Lee...but Delonte could be a decent fit...certainly seems that Z and Curry aren't likely....oh well, dare to dream
http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08/18/report-cavs-talking-to-knicks-about-a-big-man/

That article states giving Lebron James the running rebounding double-double PF he had in Boozer for 30 mpg in "Mr. David Lee".
I could see David Lee getting better each season with Lebron.

Do I trust Walsh & D'Antoni to say NO to trading David Lee? NO!
I dont trust the two with a team that does'nt have a foundation.
Donnie Walsh has proven clearly that he can only trade tradeable players.
This offseason if Larry Bird is able to trade that ridiculous contract that Walsh gave Tinsley, then I know the Knicks made the wrong move in hiring Donnie Walsh.