Knicks need Bigmen

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks need Bigmen

Say it again and again and again.

Walsh & Dantoni did'nt make any effort to go after any Bigmen this offseason.
Dantoni personally cut 6.10 Randolph Morris, and Walsh traded 6.8 Balkman.
To replace these two rebounding defensive shotblocking players Walsh & Dantoni gets a "free" 2nd round rookie Patrick Ewing Jr. who may spend this season in the D League.

The Atlantic Division teams loaded up on Bigmen that the so-call Knick bigmen can not match up against.
Boston KG, 76ers Brand & Dalembert, Raptors Bosh & J.O'Neal, and the Nets young running uptempo bigmen Boone, Sean, Lopez, Najera, and Yi.
The Knicks so-call bigmen dont have a chance in their own Division this season.

The evalution of the Knicks so-call Bigmen, am I right or wrong about ......

Jerome James
the 16th man off the bench.
Eddy Curry
backup offensive center for 20 mpg.
Zach Randolph
a defenseless selfish headache.
Jared Jefferies
the 10th or 11th man off the bench.
Malik Rose
the Spurs retired him 4 years ago.
Danilo Gallinari
the sofest joke in the city.
Ewing Jr.
the first player the Knicks put in the D-League.
David Lee will play out his contract to catch the first bus heading out of New York.

GetRealistic

Starter
And Whats your assessment of Randolph Morris?

Randolph Morris Couldn't even log any minutes of the worst team in the league, and when he did play he made Eddy Curry look halfway decent

I'd love to know what bigman we were supposed to go after this offseason. Who was out there for us to get? Did Walsh/D'Antoni trade for Randolph? And if you classify 6'8 Balkman a big guy why isn't 6'8 Ewing a big man?

I see nothing wrong with using the D league. That exactly where Randolph Morris and Jackie Butler should have been for a year. Those players learned nothing sitting on the bench, they should have been in the D-League playing 35 minutes a night.

Its obvious the Knicks have no big guys, but we don't have any quality small guys either so were equal. I said it before and i'll say it again its a rebuilding process. And process means it takes awhile its a step by step process not a quick fix. When your in salary cap hell there is no quick fix. And Randolph Morris was far from a fix. Hell be the 12th guy off the bench for some team maybe. He won't be for Boston though cause they signed that former lottery pick and theyll give him the roster spot.

We don't have a chance to win the division. We all know that.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
GetRealistic is right. The Knicks are going to suck for this season and the next couple years and they should. Let's stop pretending that there are quick fixes. Marbury is not going to take us to the playoffs even if he was in the best shape of his life. We need to scrap this team and start over again and that will take time.

Paul1355

All Star
That is a need i still have yet to see Walsh and D'Antoni fix. Other than the big men situation they are alright.

TunerAddict

Starter
The league isn't about bigmen like it was. Its generally a guard oriented, isolation league. There aren't a great abundance of big men like there were in times past and it is a shame. Players today are far more athletic, but they only are good at easy baskets, they don't have the skill and finese the players of past generations had, in a time where nearly every center had some type of hook shot or spot up jump shot that helped spread the floor. Now post players just look to get easy baskets off penetration and jam it home.

With this in mind, do we need more bigmen? Who'd we get?

I'm in favor of a small lineup, one that can run. With this we actually might stand a chance. We won't be able to defend inside, even though what we have with our bigs was never really D anyway, but we can spread the floor and defend their shooters. And of course out run them.

Paul1355

All Star
The league isn't about bigmen like it was. Its generally a guard oriented, isolation league. There aren't a great abundance of big men like there were in times past and it is a shame. Players today are far more athletic, but they only are good at easy baskets, they don't have the skill and finese the players of past generations had, in a time where nearly every center had some type of hook shot or spot up jump shot that helped spread the floor. Now post players just look to get easy baskets off penetration and jam it home.

With this in mind, do we need more bigmen? Who'd we get?

I'm in favor of a small lineup, one that can run. With this we actually might stand a chance. We won't be able to defend inside, even though what we have with our bigs was never really D anyway, but we can spread the floor and defend their shooters. And of course out run them.

I support your claim about the NBA being a guard oriented league but big men is needed on this team, atleast one guy who can replace Curry who will probably only play 12 minutes.

Scribbles

Rotation player
How are you forgetting the Knicks most prized big man outside of D. Lee...

Wilson Chandler is going to be a serious contender for this ball club this season.

Paul1355

All Star
How are you forgetting the Knicks most prized big man outside of D. Lee...

Wilson Chandler is going to be a serious contender for this ball club this season.

By big men i think we mean a guy that can play Center effectively, name me a guy on this team that can play it effectively and not get owned? And i mean a replacement for Curry. Lee doesn't fit, Rose doesn't, Jeffries is more of a tall forward type not a center, James is a joke, Gallinari is a all around forward, Chandler is also an all around forward with a possible shooting guard capability. Ewing Jr. is a strong forward, not a center. We are overloaded with forwards and point guards, we need a shooting guard and a Center that is tall, we have no height on this team.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Ok, so we get a center. Then what...we become a more competitive team. Then what? We definitely won't make the playoffs with or without a center. We might as well just keep our team and suck for the next couple years and gather some nice lottery picks. The only center I want is one that is young and has promise, and there is none in the league that we can snatch.

I have mixed feelings about the Randolph for Darko and Jaric trade. I think we could do better and get expiring contract(s) for him.

Paul1355

All Star
Ok, so we get a center. Then what...we become a more competitive team. Then what? We definitely won't make the playoffs with or without a center. We might as well just keep our team and suck for the next couple years and gather some nice lottery picks. The only center I want is one that is young and has promise, and there is none in the league that we can snatch.

I have mixed feelings about the Randolph for Darko and Jaric trade. I think we could do better and get expiring contract(s) for him.

it's not like Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are available for a trade like Boston did, relax, we are rebuilding. The start of this rebuilding process is to handle our money better. We have the highest pay roll and one of the worst teams. We have to get cap space and spend it on good players.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
it's not like Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are available for a trade like Boston did, relax, we are rebuilding. The start of this rebuilding process is to handle our money better. We have the highest pay roll and one of the worst teams. We have to get cap space and spend it on good players.

That is what I was trying to say. We should not be spending on a center. Getting a center should not matter at this point. The Knicks will not make the playoffs this season with a center or not.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
then we dont have to worry about getting a center in the future and focus on more important aspects on improving the team in th future....

We do have to worry about getting a center in the future but that center is not in the market or we just don't have the assets to get that center at the moment.

jpz17

Starter
out of all the people on KO.com, Kiya is the least likely to be a Knicks fan, have faith man. How do you block from seeing something again??

Paul1355

All Star
We do have to worry about getting a center in the future but that center is not in the market or we just don't have the assets to get that center at the moment.

the question goes back to our roster, who else can play an effective center on our team without Darko? Curry is the only pure center, where everyone one else is a SF or PF and is being forced to play center that would make them weak at that position. Curry is the only center we have, a big shot blocker is NEEDED on this team right now. We came in last place in blocked shots last year, why would you wait for a center that blocks shots when we have this oppurtunity to get one right now? And his contract expires before 2010 which fits into Donnie's salary cap plan. There is more posititves than negatives in this trade.

terrible post.

"just get some lottery picks"

i hate to compare this to something so serious but, on this ill take the stance of "we're so close to doing it, might as well stay there and get the job done"

i wasnt all for 2010, but at this point, we've built a somewhat decent team that may just play like a ..TEAM. Between Gallo, Chandler, Lee, Crawford, Marbury, ?Darko?, dare i even say Curry...we'll have the talent, contracts will expire or we'll trade 3-4 guys for an expiring contract worth resigning.

if its one thing the Knicks have never done well is the draft...(past the first year ...conspiracy theory..etc.)

Kiyaman

Legend
the question goes back to our roster, who else can play an effective center on our team without Darko? Curry is the only pure center, where everyone one else is a SF or PF and is being forced to play center that would make them weak at that position. Curry is the only center we have, a big shot blocker is NEEDED on this team right now. We came in last place in blocked shots last year, why would you wait for a center that blocks shots when we have this oppurtunity to get one right now? And his contract expires before 2010 which fits into Donnie's salary cap plan. There is more posititves than negatives in this trade.

Since the Houston Rockets won their two straight Championships with the Defensive presence of C-Olyjuwon (defending Ewing and then Shaq), all the elite championship rosters since then started signing Defensive-Centers to their team.
Philly traded for C-Mutombo to help them in the Finals.
Nets traded for C-Mutombo to help them in the Finals.

The Spurs high scoring C-David Robinson switched his entire game around from offense to defense once they drafted Tim Duncan so the team could win their first NBA Championship.

The 2003-4 Championship Detroit Piston drafted C-Darko Milicic in 2003 with their 2nd pick in the draft (which turned out to be a NBA Scrub) because their Starting C-Elden Cambell was a 16 year veteran, and their backup C-Mehmet Ocur was in his 2nd season in the league.
Elton Cambell was the Pistons starting center that never complain about averaging just 11 mpg as a starter untill Detroit pulled an illegal trade to get Rasheed Wallace.
The Detroit Pistons won their Championship using 3-PF in Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Corliss Williamson, and a 2nd season C-Mehmet Ocur for 22 mpg that season and Postseason.
Detroits Starting SF-Tayshaun Prince who average 35 mpg providing big help defensively to the tandem guard unit is not considered a bigman to defend PF and Centers, but he puts it on the line on the next team SF.

This 2008-9 Knick Roster only have 3 reliable "Bigmen" that can be put in a 8-Man Rotation this season "C-Curry, PF-Lee, and 2nd season SF-Chandler".
All the rest of the so-call Bigmen on this Knick Roster do not belong in this Knick Team 8-Man rotation if the Knicks are really in a rebuilding-mode for the future.
Putting players that are on the "trading-block" in the Knicks 8-man rotation does nothing but disrupt the teams chemistry of "Keeper" players performance.

The Knicks were supposed to have a "BIG FIRE SELL" starting on draft night along with the trade of their 6th pick on draft night to have teams in a long line to make offers & deals inwhich the Knicks would have plenty of options. Especially since the Knicks were unable to get the first four to five picks of the 2008 draft.
Averagely out of the first 7 picks of the NBA draft only 3 to 4 pan out to become decent NBA players.
New York hardcore Fan-Base will be expecting a helluv a performance from Danillo Gallinari in his rookie season.

Paul1355

All Star
Since the Houston Rockets won their two straight Championships with the Defensive presence of C-Olyjuwon (defending Ewing and then Shaq), all the elite championship rosters since then started signing Defensive-Centers to their team.
Philly traded for C-Mutombo to help them in the Finals.
Nets traded for C-Mutombo to help them in the Finals.

The Spurs high scoring C-David Robinson switched his entire game around from offense to defense once they drafted Tim Duncan so the team could win their first NBA Championship.

The 2003-4 Championship Detroit Piston drafted C-Darko Milicic in 2003 with their 2nd pick in the draft (which turned out to be a NBA Scrub) because their Starting C-Elden Cambell was a 16 year veteran, and their backup C-Mehmet Ocur was in his 2nd season in the league.
Elton Cambell was the Pistons starting center that never complain about averaging just 11 mpg as a starter untill Detroit pulled an illegal trade to get Rasheed Wallace.
The Detroit Pistons won their Championship using 3-PF in Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Corliss Williamson, and a 2nd season C-Mehmet Ocur for 22 mpg that season and Postseason.
Detroits Starting SF-Tayshaun Prince who average 35 mpg providing big help defensively to the tandem guard unit is not considered a bigman to defend PF and Centers, but he puts it on the line on the next team SF.

This 2008-9 Knick Roster only have 3 reliable "Bigmen" that can be put in a 8-Man Rotation this season "C-Curry, PF-Lee, and 2nd season SF-Chandler".
All the rest of the so-call Bigmen on this Knick Roster do not belong in this Knick Team 8-Man rotation if the Knicks are really in a rebuilding-mode for the future.
Putting players that are on the "trading-block" in the Knicks 8-man rotation does nothing but disrupt the teams chemistry of "Keeper" players performance.

The Knicks were supposed to have a "BIG FIRE SELL" starting on draft night along with the trade of their 6th pick on draft night to have teams in a long line to make offers & deals inwhich the Knicks would have plenty of options. Especially since the Knicks were unable to get the first four to five picks of the 2008 draft.
Averagely out of the first 7 picks of the NBA draft only 3 to 4 pan out to become decent NBA players.
New York hardcore Fan-Base will be expecting a helluv a performance from Danillo Gallinari in his rookie season.

good points, but being that we ranked last in blocked shots, isn't Darko or any other Center that can block a need?