Can Zach's trade value really go up? And what can be done for it to happen?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Well like the idea or not Donnie has turned down two deals to move our biggest contract. I for one have been a huge supporter of dumping Zach's contract, and probably wouldve done it for peanuts. But Donnie is taking a more patient approach and is believing that Zach can put up solid enough numbers for as long as he is a Knick this season in the hopes that teams will increase the value of other team's trade proposals for Zach.

I think this approach is very risky, but can still work. Tim Thomas got a nice deal from The LAC off of the strength of how he looke under Dantoni, Joe Johnson's potential was brought out under Mike D and was made into a franchise player by The Hawks, and ofcourse Nash went from an All Star to a League MVP. Now Zach is no Steve Nash (in fact I was hesitant to use that example) but, my point is good offensive players do well under Dantoni. I predict that Zachs numbers should be about the same as they were last year around 18 and 10

Now what needed to be done to increase his trade value?

First off we have to win, not a lot, but enough to show that Zach's numbers can help make a team better. I would say if we mirror the first half of the season Isiah had his first year as coach (like 25+ wins by the All Star break) then that will show the league that Zach can help a team improve.

Secondly; Eddy has to come off the bench and Lee has to be a starter. Reason being, David doesnt need the ball to be effective, Zach will gladly embrace the role of full time low post scorer. In fact I would probably never play those two together at the same time. Who knows Eddy's new role off the bench could prompt him to opt out next season!

Third: We need to knock down open shots! Zach will demand doubles, and we need to knock down shots to again show teams that Zach could be a vital part of TEAM Basketball

Fourth: Zach has to pass out of double teams. Ok stop laughing! This is where we have to pray that coach Dantoni's appeal to players can work. He is the master of getting players to play unselfish, if he can sell Zach on this then teams will take notice, and likely won't assume Donnie is still desperate to move him

Lastly: Stay out of court and on the court! If Zach gets injured or in another fight in a club, there is no chance in moving him and Donnie's pateince will indeed have back fired! But the good news is that he has stayed incident and injury free so far as a Knick!

There are teams that need help with scoring on the block (Sea,Chi,Mem,Cle) but everyone had thought that Donnie Walsh was pressed to move Zach so they were trying to make a steal in a deal for him, but, Donnie has held out so far, which in its self has increased his value somewhat. But the move is still a gamble, and lets just hope the gamble pays off!

Great post. Here's a thought. Maybe Knicks fans are all wrong about Randolph. Maybe the year Curry nearly made the All-star team wasn't due to his ability but due to D.Lee doing the dirty work and making Curry look better then he was. This is just a theory so hear me out. Maybe Randolph side by side with Lee would propel the Knicks as a team and Randolph as a player. Maybe, just maybe, we can see Randolph making the all-star team like Curry nearly did a few years ago.

This will probably be the least popular post on this thread but think about it. Like him or not Randolph puts up numbers consistently and demands double teams. I think this can work with someone other then Curry at center. It's unfortunate but I've lost confidence in Curry until he shows me something. A Duhon, Crawford, Chandler, Randolph line up doesn't look half bad.

paris401

Starter
They make roughly the same amount but that's not why I compared them. It's because they are players that teams know they will have problems with, but still take them because of their production.

manny's contract is over this year (there is an option)... the black-hole has '3' years left.... 'big-difference'

but i do agree with the logic...

Leefense

Rookie
I'm tired of looking at this

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>
<embed src="<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3j1q6osDAEc&hl=en&fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3j1q6osDAEc&amphl=en&ampfs=1[/URL]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>

pat

Starter
<OBJECT height=344 width=425>
<embed src="<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3j1q6osDAEc&hl=en&fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3j1q6osDAEc&amphl=en&ampfs=1[/URL]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>

LJ4ptplay

Starter
manny's contract is over this year (there is an option)... the black-hole has '3' years left.... 'big-difference'

but i do agree with the logic...

And Manny has been a part of two championships, where Zach makes teams worse when he arrives and better when he leaves...big difference

Paul1355

All Star
And Manny has been a part of two championships, where Zach makes teams worse when he arrives and better when he leaves...big difference

I compared their attitude and production. Both have a bad attitude and both have a solid offensive production...get it?