Hollinger: Walsh Showing Patience in Dismantling of Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
Hollinger: Walsh Showing Patience in Dismantling of Knicks
<HR>While Isiah Thomas arrived in a blaze of glory, making a blockbuster trade for Stephon Marbury within days of taking over as team president, Walsh's first few months in office have been much quieter. The only significant change has been the inevitable firing of Thomas and hiring of Mike D'Antoni as head coach, followed by two relatively low-wattage pickups in draft choice Danilo Gallinari and point guard Chris Duhon.

Meanwhile, the much-anticipated housecleaning of the Knicks' overpaid malcontents hasn't gained much steam, unless you think Renaldo Balkman was the quiet mastermind behind the whole underachieving operation.

Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson, Malik Rose, Jerome James, and Jared Jeffries are all still here, "earning" a combined $47 million this season between them. Even Marbury is still around, though rumors persist that he'll be waived before he's allowed to set foot in training camp.

But in particular, one move has been notable for its absence: Walsh hasn't traded Zach Randolph yet.

This is important because if the Knicks are going to make their much-discussed free-agent splash in the summer of 2010 -- the summer LeBron James, among others, becomes a free agent -- they have to trade Randolph. There's no way around this. His contract is so large that the math of getting far enough under the cap to sign James simply doesn't work unless Randolph has been rerouted for a player or players whose contracts expire by 2010.

In other words: If they want LeBron, then Zach has to pack.

Walsh hasn't lacked for opportunities. The Clippers had a big chunk of cap space after Elton Brand left, and they were prepared to take on Randloph's behemoth contract to fill it, provided the Knicks threw in a couple other goodies as a sweetener. Walsh passed.

More recently, Memphis had a deal on the table that would have sent Randolph to the Grizzlies for Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric. Depending on whom you talk to, they might have asked the Knicks to throw in a draft pick and some cash, too.

The potential of this deal had Knicks fans in a lather for two reasons. First, Milicic is one of the league's most notorious slackers and might be even more boo-able than Randolph, and second, Jaric is engaged to Victoria's Secret supermodel Adriana Lima, who presumably would make a few cameos at MSG.

Alas, the Knicks passed on this one, too.

In each case, there may have been problems. For starters, including a draft choice in a trade is problematic for Walsh because of the blunders of Thomas, who threw a lottery-protected first-round pick into the Marbury trade that loses all protection in 2010. Since the league prohibits trading picks in consecutive years, this effectively means that the Knicks can't deal a first-rounder until 2012, and nobody wants to wait four years for the payoff from a trade. Thus, New York would have to acquire a pick from a third team just to include it in a trade.

Additionally, the Memphis deal didn't get New York all the way home on the LeBron James front. Jaric's deal doesn't expire until 2011, and while his fianc?e may be easy on the eyes, his contract is not: roughly $7 million a year for a mediocre backup. (On second thought, he's a bargain by the standards of the Isiah era. Sign him up.) Thus, the only way to reach the Knicks' goal would be for Walsh to turn around and pay somebody to take Jaric off his hands, adding to the cost of the trade. Alternatively, he could go to the austerity model and lose David Lee to free agency next year, but this is even more unpalatable.

Plus, there's the little matter of trading a high-scoring forward for a whole lot of nothing. I'm sure Walsh is hoping to get at least a little smidgen of quality in return for Randolph, given what a beast he is in the low post. And at the very least, I can't imagine Walsh is very excited about throwing money into a trade after he just gave away Balkman to save a relative pittance (just more than $2 million).

So there are some good reasons why a Randolph deal hasn't happened. But Walsh is also taking a risk by waiting, because it appears he's going to enter the season with Randolph as a Knick and then try to move him later, probably at the February trade deadline.

This just might work. Once the games start, teams might notice Randolph's boorish behavior less, and his huge frame, soft touch, and refined low-post game more. Remember, it would be hard for him to play worse than he did a year ago, and he might be able to play much better -- especially if D'Antoni isn't hell-bent on pairing him with Eddy Curry the way Isiah was.

Additionally, the waiting game buys Walsh one less year of onerous contract to trade. From another team's perspective, acquiring Randolph in February, when he has 2 1/2 years left on his deal, or next summer, when he has only two, doesn't seem nearly as big a risk as taking him on now.

On the other hand, it's possible Randolph gets hurt and lowers his value even further. Or that he's involved in another "incident" that further stains his reputation and limits his attractiveness on the trade market. Already several teams won't take a second look at him because of his rap sheet, and that list will only get longer if he doesn't mend his ways.

But for now, Walsh doesn't have much choice but to wait. Sure, he'd like to press a magic button and be rid of Zach in two seconds, but that's not how it works. The reason Walsh was so successful in Indiana was because he didn't force things -- if there wasn't a good deal to be had, he waited. And given that he still has two years to pull the trigger on a trade, the proper course is to be patient. Besides, we've already seen the damage an impatient executive can do.

So as hard as the thought of more Randolph may be to stomach for Knicks fans, who want only to see every vestige of the Isiah era erased from MSG as quickly as possible, it's the best way to ensure as rapid a recovery as possible. As a result, we could be seeing Z-Bo around these parts much longer than we initially expected.

Kiyaman

Legend
For all those members who have gave Walsh a "free-pass" by grading his offseason performance with a "A, B, or even C", should understand that Donnie Walsh first priority as the Knick President was to hire a G.M. before doing anything else.
The Indiana Pacers Owner knew this in the 2002 season when he hired Indiana ex-coach Larry Bird as the G.M. to help Walsh.
This quote clarity proves Walsh is not being patient he just isnt playing with a full deck. But what should we expect from someone that Owner Dolan hires personally.

Quote:
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
In each case, there may have been problems. For starters, including a draft choice in a trade is problematic for Walsh because of the blunders of Thomas, who threw a lottery-protected first-round pick into the Marbury trade that loses all protection in 2010. Since the league prohibits trading picks in consecutive years, this effectively means that the Knicks can't deal a first-rounder until 2012, and nobody wants to wait four years for the payoff from a trade. Thus, New York would have to acquire a pick from a third team just to include it in a trade. <!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

If the Knicks would've had a G.M. at the time when the Clippers were desperate for a PF, and the Knick G.M. traded Zach $48 mill contract and the 2012 pick to the Clippers to start clearing the salary-cap for "Donnie Walsh 2010 Plan" would you be mad at him?

This is what I kept repeating in JULY, when Walsh turned down the Clippers offer being clueless of the value of (off and on the court problem) Zach Randolph.
The Knicks would have got the best out of that Clippers deal giving up Zach and the 2012 pick and in return the Knicks get a $2 million expiring contract Brevin Knight and a 2nd rounder.

That Clipper trade would have set Donnie Walsh straight for his 2010 Plan, plus made me (Kiyaman) eat the words "Walsh is an IDIOT!".
Hollinger, article shows that Walsh is not being patient he's just clueless and planless on what to do.

The new management that Donnie Walsh hired in late August, had to open his eyes to the Zach Randolph situation, because Walsh called the number-one dummest G.M. in the NBA (no names) and TRIED to trade Zach for Darko.
Point being made is Walsh is too old and slow at thinking for this Knick Job.
Zach and the 6th-pick could've been traded on draft night in a three-team trade with Memphis, Wolves, and Knicks (Love or Mayo, with Jaric, and Darko would've been easy to get from those two G.M.'s).

Donnie Walsh did not learn anything when he let Indiana coach Isiah Thomas select their draft pick (Fred Jones), because 85% of us Knick Fans are sure about who idea it was to select the 6th pick of this draft. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Starks

Starter
He always complains about everything, and never does it in a coherent way.

Its hard to follow.

Is he complaing about not having D Nichols still?? Or does he hate Walsh now?

Paul1355

All Star
everyone hates Kiya on this site, dont talk trash, just argue him when you can and that's how you make a person look bad. None of this side talk, girl stuff.

Paul1355

All Star
Hey when you have Mutumbo as your sig you have no room to say anything. He played about 50 games as a Knick.

Doesn't take back the fact that the side talking is a chick move on your part. And fyi, Mutombo was important to the Knicks when he was here, he was a shot blocking center, something we haven't seen since he played here. So step back, check yourself because you knockin me for having a former knick when ur sig has two former point guards from years back.

Just giving you some advice.

GetRealistic

Starter
Two point guards who actually played atleast 200 games as Knicks and won playoff games as a Knick. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Mutumbo played about 50 games as a Knick and had a 0-4 playoff record. My memory of Mutumbo is Marcus Camby dunking all over him in game 2 of the 1999 Eastern semi's against the Hawks.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiyaman is an idiot.

Kiyaman is an idiot.
co-sign...
If you read his last 100 posts they all are exactly the same. But hey go D. Nichols
He always complains about everything, and never does it in a coherent way.

Its hard to follow.

Is he complaing about not having D Nichols still?? Or does he hate Walsh now?
everyone hates Kiya on this site, dont talk trash, just argue him when you can and that's how you make a person look bad. None of this side talk, girl stuff.

WOW! such deep thought responses toward the Poster and nothing on the Thread. Make me think Kiyaman has no LUV for bashing Isiah, Walsh, and Dantoni decision making.... "to much simularities" between the three.

Lies about a clueless plan.... spending big on a pet-player (6th pick).

NO-LUV! NO-LUV! NO-LUV! at all...

Paul1355

All Star
Two point guards who actually played atleast 200 games as Knicks and won playoff games as a Knick. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Mutumbo played about 50 games as a Knick and had a 0-4 playoff record. My memory of Mutumbo is Marcus Camby dunking all over him in game 2 of the 1999 Eastern semi's against the Hawks.

My memory of Mutumbo was when he would block shots as a Knick.

Paul1355

All Star
Everyone misses his blocks....all i can say is last place in blocked shots last year....so find a shot blocker for this knicks team that is as cool as mutombo.

pat

Starter
Everyone misses his blocks....all i can say is last place in blocked shots last year....so find a shot blocker for this knicks team that is as cool as mutombo.

I think that Mutombos main problem in the NBA was that nobody ever understood what he was saying.

There is only one real Knicks/Georgetown center.

Paul1355

All Star
Well this thread sure went off topic, Mutombo was the man, i dont care what any clown says on this forum. Fact is that getreal talked like a chick along with whoever in saying little side comment about Kiya. I dont agree wit Kiya on most issues but the side comments was a female move. Admit it and move on.

pat

Starter
Walsh straight for his 2010 Plan, plus made me (Kiyaman) eat the words "Walsh is an IDIOT!".

Kiya, I think I remember people respecting you on this page. But the thing is this: we got your views on Walsh, just like we got that people have very different opinions on Marbury. There is no need to repeat your views one hundred times.

Personally, I believe that Walsh not doing very much actually is a good sign. New York as a media market tends to be a bit hectic when it comes to making moves (just think of the credit crunch). Friends of mine who are fans of other teams always made fun about Isiah making moves for the sake of making moves. That this has stopped actually is a good thing. There is plenty of time to move each and every player on the roster. But as I just said: your views are are obviously different, we all know. There is no need to shove it down our throats again and again.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well this thread sure went off topic, Mutombo was the man, i dont care what any clown says on this forum. Fact is that getreal talked like a chick along with whoever in saying little side comment about Kiya. I dont agree wit Kiya on most issues but the side comments was a female move. Admit it and move on.

Mutombo was the defensive-man in the middle and would have had one or two Championship Rings alongside of Alonzo Mourning on the New Jersey Nets if PG-Jason Kidd was'nt an idiot with that max contract to force coach Byron Scott, Mutombo, and Mourning off the team.

Paul, I was asked several times in two other Knick Forums by members to come to this Forum and add a mixture of flavor to the topics on the board.
At times I enhance the rhetoric in this forum to keep it live during the offseason. I belong to over 11 Knick Forums to let the few members in here phaze me they remind me of my son and nephews who talk a good game by talking that talk, but when I'm on the phone placing a bet with My-Boy they refuse to put their money where their mouth is.
I'm an old retired man who left his Neon company to my Son & Nephew, inwhich my younger Daughter who's in college have inquired more bussiness
than both of them in the last two years.
My daughter and I cleaned up on the Super Bowl.
All my life I welcome rhetoric & disbelievers.

I'm wrong sometime too, but not about Donnie Walsh...