Interesting article on our 2010 pick (or lack there of)

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.sltrib.com/Sports/ci_10477824

The article is written by a Salt Lake City columist who begs the question are we going to suck long enough for The Jazz to get a lottery pick off of us in 2010?

Now listen Team Starbaury, I have no beef with Steph but if we end up losing a lottery pick as a result of getting him for sure even yall supporters will admit that we got the short end of the stick

To avoid that we need to become a playoff team the season after this one. No easy task! But if we are fighting for a playoff spot and we give up maybe a late lottery pick then that could make Isiah's blunder a little easier to deal with.

Paul1355

All Star
I read the article, the Jazz are sneaky. Atleast more people do see the turn around for the Knicks and know that Mike D and Donnie Walsh was a good pick to change this franchise around. So if we get good, the Jazz get a better pick? How does that work?

jpz17

Starter

The article is written by a Salt Lake City columist who begs the question are we going to suck long enough for The Jazz to get a lottery pick off of us in 2010?

Now listen Team Starbaury, I have no beef with Steph but if we end up losing a lottery pick as a result of getting him for sure even yall supporters will admit that we got the short end of the stick

To avoid that we need to become a playoff team the season after this one. No easy task! But if we are fighting for a playoff spot and we give up maybe a late lottery pick then that could make Isiah's blunder a little easier to deal with.

If we want to make the playoffs, we need to make the players think they can win, if we win 30 games, they they know they have something going, I bet Knicks win 34 games, I would much rather have 34 than 20 wins, trust me, its much easier going into a season with 34 wins than 20

Kiyaman

Legend
I cant lie, I thought the Knicks would go in a new direction this 2008-9 season with at least 10 young raw players on the roster with some new defensive coaches on the staff to develope this season for a decent 2009-10 season (when we have no draft pick).
I actually thought we would be waiving Marbury, Malik, and James a week before training-camp, and trading Zach Randolph this offseason to give David Lee his chance to show his worth this season as a Starter.

I never thought that the Knicks would have the same roster as last season in late September. Gallinari replacing Balkman and Duhorn replacing Fred Jones.
And not one defensive-coach hired to the staff this offseason.

If the Knicks 2009 offseason is the same as the 2008 offseason the Jazz might like the Knick change in management. Especially if injuries fall late in this season to certain unmovable Knick Players to where their value go down lower. The Knicks 2010 pick could be a ping-pong ball lottery pick.

Paul1355

All Star
I cant lie, I thought the Knicks would go in a new direction this 2008-9 season with at least 10 young raw players on the roster with some new defensive coaches on the staff to develope this season for a decent 2009-10 season (when we have no draft pick).
I actually thought we would be waiving Marbury, Malik, and James a week before training-camp, and trading Zach Randolph this offseason to give David Lee his chance to show his worth this season as a Starter.

I never thought that the Knicks would have the same roster as last season in late September. Gallinari replacing Balkman and Duhorn replacing Fred Jones.
And not one defensive-coach hired to the staff this offseason.

If the Knicks 2009 offseason is the same as the 2008 offseason the Jazz might like the Knick change in management. Especially if injuries fall late in this season to certain unmovable Knick Players to where their value go down lower. The Knicks 2010 pick could be a ping-pong ball lottery pick.

Sometimes making a whole new team from scratch is harder than making this current Knick roster gel together. D'Antoni just has to make them play good together, most of them have known each other for years and are friends. It's on the court chemistry and disciplinary things that D'Antoni has to stress this year. We know what this team can do when they get rolling and start shooting lights out. We just forget because it was so rare. I'm hoping D'Antoni can make that more frequent.

I do agree that we should pick up a defensive assistant coach someday soon.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Sometimes making a whole new team from scratch is harder than making this current Knick roster gel together. D'Antoni just has to make them play good together, most of them have known each other for years and are friends. It's on the court chemistry and disciplinary things that D'Antoni has to stress this year. We know what this team can do when they get rolling and start shooting lights out. We just forget because it was so rare. I'm hoping D'Antoni can make that more frequent.

I do agree that we should pick up a defensive assistant coach someday soon.

Well put! Rep point coming for that!

like Kiya I wanted to destroy and rebuild and thought that Avery Johnson or Tommy T. would be the best hires for turning things around. But, like you said Paul that would result in more losing for longer. Obviously we are a better offensive team than a defensive one, so brining in a defensive coach would've offered just more of a problem for us. More locker room fights between players who were willing to adapt to the defensive mindset and from those who wouldnt (like when Larry Brown was our coach). Like trying to squeez a square peg through a round whole. Now we do/did have some defenders but, not enough to make up a team. Donnie's hire of Dantoni played on our one strength as a team which is our ability to put up points. Hopefully Herb will be of some influence on the defensive end for us!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

I got 2 problems with this post

1) Starbury didnt ask to be traded to the knicks, it was isiah who will have caused us to get the short end of the stick if we lost that pick in 2010

2) What team starbury member said the trade for him was a good one? Every "big" trade isiah ever attempted to make resulted in the raping of the knicks and yes, us fans. Its impossible to be a knicks fan and a virgin. We have all been raped violently, aggresively, and belligerently. I was limpin after the curry trade (no homo) :lol:

Paul1355

All Star
Well put! Rep point coming for that!

like Kiya I wanted to destroy and rebuild and thought that Avery Johnson or Tommy T. would be the best hires for turning things around. But, like you said Paul that would result in more losing for longer. Obviously we are a better offensive team than a defensive one, so brining in a defensive coach would've offered just more of a problem for us. More locker room fights between players who were willing to adapt to the defensive mindset and from those who wouldnt (like when Larry Brown was our coach). Like trying to squeez a square peg through a round whole. Now we do/did have some defenders but, not enough to make up a team. Donnie's hire of Dantoni played on our one strength as a team which is our ability to put up points. Hopefully Herb will be of some influence on the defensive end for us!

Thanks for the rep point, how do you even give rep points?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I got 2 problems with this post

1) Starbury didnt ask to be traded to the knicks, it was isiah who will have caused us to get the short end of the stick if we lost that pick in 2010

2) What team starbury member said the trade for him was a good one? Every "big" trade isiah ever attempted to make resulted in the raping of the knicks and yes, us fans. Its impossible to be a knicks fan and a virgin. We have all been raped violently, aggresively, and belligerently. I was limpin after the curry trade (no homo) :lol:
Word, lol!
That Curry trade was sick. I still don't see how anyone could be stupid enough to make such a foolish trade. Isiah Thomas must've been on some serious drugs.

GetRealistic

Starter
Damn MSG that guy wasn't even bashing on Marbury and you quickly jumped to his rescued followed by your sidekick ABCD. Every trade we've made over the Isiah era was a bad trade, you can basically make an arguement for each trade being the worst and have a good point. The Marbury trade has been awful, The Steve Francis trade was awful, The Curry trade has turned out pretty awful (only slight bright spot is Thomas and Noah aren't stars or don't look like they will be), and the Randolph trade was god awful. I actually think the Randolph trade was the worst. Simply because two years ago we actually were showing progress, and we all know Fyre wasn't a good player but he atleast fit the system and was cheap and young. Not saying the team two years ago was destined for anything but they atleast had me semi excited with there chances of continually improving.

Back to the Marbury trade though. At the time me and everybody else was probably excited about the trade (also don't lie at the exact time of the Curry trade you know alot of you were excited to get a young 22 year old center who looked ready to breakout). And i know its all retrospect but the more you think about it the more you realize how it was such an awful trade. If you take off your Knicks fan cap and look at the trade objectively did you really think a core of Houston and Marbury was actually going to be a major competitor. Was it a core good enough for a playoff appearence? Yes but in the long run all our payroll was so installed with a flawed backcourt nothing truelly great could have insued. YThe picks and expiring contracts we gave up to get Marbury should have went to an actual superstar player not just a player who thinks hes a superstar. I'm not going to try to think back to 04 but with the package we gave the Suns i'm pretty sure we could have landed a much better player then Marbury. You have to land a big time player who not only is a great player but is a great leader and we all know Marbury will get his stats but he can't lead.

MSG is right though Marbury didn't ask to get traded here, so you can't blame him for his crazy contract. But what really boggles me is the fact the guy is living his life long dream of playing for his home town team and the consistant effort hasn't been there.

I still say the Ranolph trade followed by the Francis trade were the worst two trades. People got excited about landing Marbury at first, and admit it or not people were at one time were excited about the prospects of a 6'11 young center who just led the league in FG percentage. But everybody knew right from the get go how awful the Randolph and Francis trades were.