Duhon starting over Steph....really?

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/

Ok maybe I just don't know enough about Duhon's game so that is why this is a bit puzzling, because according to two reports I read this morning Duhon has "the edge" on Steph for starting PG. Now we all know that I was upset with Marbaury talking about not coming off the bench for The Knicks, but I honestly didnt ever think that was going to happen. Again I can just be underestimating Duhon's game, but if he was truley starter worthy why didnt he start more often with The Bulls and why were not more teams pursing him this off season and offering more than the MLE. Look Mike Dantoni knows more about Basketball than I ever will so how can I challenge his judgement.

Now again it is only the second day of scrimagges so the fact that Steph is not in the starter jersey could mean nothing come opening night.

GetRealistic

Starter
Your answer there is, the players actually like Duhon. Everybody hates Marbury. You can't have a point guard who is hated by all his teammates just doesn't work.

Throw the talent out the door, its about trying to rebuild this disaster. The more you sit back and look at it, it becomes pretty obvious that Walsh and D'Antoni are basically calling Marburys bluff. Eventually he will be released but the longer they keep him around the less likely he'll find a spot somewhere else in the league. Miami is signing Livingston, and Boston already resigned Cassell.

It's a dangerous game there playing but I think there hoping he pulls his normal act and they have a reason to suspend him. That way he's away from the team but not helping another team. Kinda like the Tim Thomas situation.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
GetRealFrontModel.jpg

Trin_Starr

Starter
Inside sources say that Marbury is the most prepared and in shape player at camp. They also said that it is extremely obvious to see how much more talented Marbury is than the rest of the players. They say he fits in so smoothly into D'Antoni's system with his exceptional pick n roll ability. Predicts Marbury will have a monster year.

Said that Duhon looks kinda out of it - hopes it's the learning curve and getting accustomed to the system and the other players...Marbury has totally outplayed Duhon in every facet of the game.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Inside sources say that Marbury is the most prepared and in shape player at camp. They also said that it is extremely obvious to see how much more talented Marbury is than the rest of the players. They say he fits in so smoothly into D'Antoni's system with his exceptional pick n roll ability. Predicts Marbury will have a monster year.

Said that Duhon looks kinda out of it - hopes it's the learning curve and getting accustomed to the system and the other players...Marbury has totally outplayed Duhon in every facet of the game.

Thats what i heard too....its incredible the way they hate marbury while not saying much about curry. Duhorns not even doing that good but haterburys want him to start? Makes no sense.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Thats what i heard too....its incredible the way they hate marbury while not saying much about curry. Duhorns not even doing that good but haterburys want him to start? Makes no sense.

Well it looks like Curry lost his starting spot to Lee since he's been out the first 3 days of camp with that bacterial infection....D'Antoni thinks it will be very hard for him to get back into the thick of things and be in shape...

PG - Marbury
SG - JC
SF - Q (for now) - short leash - if he's not making shots, he'll be pulled for Chandler
Zach at PF
Lee at C

Trin_Starr

Starter
They also saying that believe it or not - Jefferies is actually looking really really good in D'Antonis' system.

Trin_Starr

Starter
By putting in offseason work to lose weight, it appears Marbury has either bought into Mike D'Antoni's fast-break offense or is looking to contribute significantly to another team.

There are a few in New York who think the new coach-point guard relationship could work. When asked if there are any Knicks players who have a chance to improve under Mike D'Antoni's system, forward Malik Rose answered, "Oddly enough – Steph.

"Steph is ultra-talented," Rose added. "Although I think he can play in a structured system, I think a system that is less-structured is to his strength. Steph is phenomenal. He can score from the outside, score from the inside and drive. I think this system suits his game better."

A new, less-structured system may be what it takes to rejuvenate Marbury's career. If nothing else, his game can't deteriorate any further than it did under Isiah Thomas.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10147

GetRealistic

Starter
Hey Trinn Star, did anybody ever question Marburys on court ability? Or did i miss that? Who ever said Duhon was better then Marbury?

That Malik Rose quote proves that hes a professional, who knows how to say all the right things. Its been well documented that Marbury and Malik don't get along but Malik despite being an awful player, he still is a pro and knows how to handle the media and his teammates. He knows Marbury cries out to get his ego stroked so Malik did just that.

The fact is Marbury despite being "reborn" for the 10th time couldn't even handle media day properly and give the correct status quo answers.

"I'd be willing to come off the bench of thats what the coached asked me to do, I'm willing to do anything that helps this team win." That would have been the correct answer.

Marbury is a team cancer and even the biggest fans of him know this just don't like to admit it. The PG is the leader on the court and when the rest of the team doesn't like the PG that tends to lead to problems.

Starburians!! smhh Crawford

Last edited:

Trin_Starr

Starter
GetRealistic - I am knick fan. You are one too. I want what's best for this team and to see them win. If Marbury is playing better and more suited to the system - then he should play...wins are all that matters.
If Duhon runs things better - then he should get the nod.
At the end of the day - it matters not who starts or who plays - I just want the best team out there on the floor who gives a chance at winning every night. Every player should be given a fair shot to show what they can do in this new system and then it's up to the coaches to make the final decision.

So instead of calling a marbury a cancer and saying he should get off the team even before he shows what he can do in D'Antoni's system - don't you think it's fair to see what he can do first.
If you are knick fan - then all that should matter to you is that the knicks are winning again.

Makes sense?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Apparently, this is about who plays better with each other. D'Antoni thinks Duhon is the better fit for the starting lineup of Crawford, Chandler, Lee and Zach. And Marbury is a better fit to come off the bench with Nate, Q Rich and Jeffries (= 9 man rotation). If D'Antoni believes this will make the team better, then why would anybody complain? Marbury may still log a lot of minutes, rotating between the PG and SG off the bench. So, are you a Knick fan or a Marbury fan?

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
GetRealistic - I am knick fan. You are one too. I want what's best for this team and to see them win. If Marbury is playing better and more suited to the system - then he should play...wins are all that matters.
If Duhon runs things better - then he should get the nod.
At the end of the day - it matters not who starts or who plays - I just want the best team out there on the floor who gives a chance at winning every night. Every player should be given a fair shot to show what they can do in this new system and then it's up to the coaches to make the final decision.

So instead of calling a marbury a cancer and saying he should get off the team even before he shows what he can do in D'Antoni's system - don't you think it's fair to see what he can do first.
If you are knick fan - then all that should matter to you is that the knicks are winning again.

Makes sense?

Post if the year in my opinion! It doesnt matter to me who makes us better just as long as they are helping us get better. Look if Jerome James turns into Kareem, then hell I am all for it! Jared Jefferies is having a great camp from what I am hearing, so again if that helps makes us better then lets go Jared Jefferies!

See this whole Marbaury war on this site has taken away from what is best for the team. Supporters of him want to have a good season simply to prove doubters wrong and non supporters dont want him to do well because all the stock they have invested in not liking him. It's all irrelevant! Lets think about what is going to get us out of the cellar of the Division and stop from having us be the punch line to corny Letterman jokes!

GetRealistic

Starter
You all miss the whole point. Talent isn't whats held Marbury or the Knicks back the last 4 years. Its chemistry and lack of trust between teammates. Two years ago when we had that string of crazy comebacks and hard fought wins we were an actual team. We weren't going to win a championship but there was a genuine liking and chemistry between teammates. The guy who wrote the thread about going to camp even pointed out that Steph had no interaction with his teammates.

You can't be around the same 15 guys for 6 months out of the year and have a negitive relationship with them and still succeed on the court. Marbury is genuinely disliked by all his teammates and past coaches. It can't be a coincidence can it? Is it also a coincidence that hes never been on a winning team?

Marbury was/is a great player, but even when he was in his absolute prime averaging 20ppg and 8 assists his teams never thrived, and even if he is in the best shape of his life hes never going to be the same player that he was in his prime thats just common sense.

It seems like alot of you have never played organized basketball. The point guard is the leader on the court. There are a few exceptions like Kobe and MJ but those dominate the ball to the point you could almost call them primary ball handlers. In order to strive as a TEAM you have to trust that your point guard can handle it. Do you really trust that Steph is going to battle through it the first sign of adveristy? Cause i honestly don't, just look at his track record. The guy turned media day into a circus, hes a 10 year vet he should be able to handle some interviews and just say the status quo answer instead of bringing on more controversary to the team. Hasn't the team been surrounded by enough?

And its great that hes in good shape, but should it be praised that a player whose getting paid 21 mil is in shape to perform his job in his contract year? With the exception of Curry, Randolph, and James the whole team seemingly came into camp in shape. Why aren't any of them praised.

The best thing for the TEAM is to start fresh and move on from the past. The two faces of the last 5 years of awful Knicks basketball are Isiah and Marbury. Isiah is gone and its time for Marbury to be gone.

And I know for some reason or another none of you seem to believe in the TEAM arguement which is the most valid one, but lets just look at it from logistics. Even if Marbury averages 30ppg this season hes not in the future plans we all know that. So instead of him playing 35 min. a night, those minutes and or roster spots can be given to the young players who are going to be part of the future.

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
marbury will start at the two, there is no way of him not starting if he outplay duhon

my starting five

duhon
marbury
chandler
zack
lee

first off bench

crawford
jefferies
nate
qrich

Blumatic

Rotation player

It just occurred to me. You really like Marbury. I mean you really like this guy. He can do no wrong in your eyes. You really really really like this guy.

Let me ask you a question?

Do you think Steph brings leadership?
Do you think Steph is not a me first player?
If we so happen to win the championship, you don't think he'll try to hog the glory?

Has he been an example of a good teammate?

I'll give you time to answer.

WiL8000

Rotation player
I totally agree with Trin_Starr's post. It's all about the team, not any single player. Speaking of chemistry, this is a new system of basketball and gives the Knicks a chance of forming chemistry that may not have previously been there. I am encouraged that some players have come into camp in shape...finally so thats a good sign. When it comes to who starts a the point, my vote goes to who runs the team better, whether it's Marbury or Duhon. Don't buy out Marbury, give it chance and if it doesn't work out trade him, but I'm ultimately hoping his salary just comes off the books after the season.

I'm very disappointed in Curry coming back fat. The season before last, he looked promising when the weight came off towards the second half of the season. You would think that would teach him a lesson. We have to wait and see what happens, Jerome James is even in shape from what I hear.

Toons

is the Bo$$
It just occurred to me. You really like Marbury. I mean you really like this guy. He can do no wrong in your eyes. You really really really like this guy.

Let me ask you a question?

Do you think Steph brings leadership?
Do you think Steph is not a me first player?
If we so happen to win the championship, you don't think he'll try to hog the glory?

Has he been an example of a good teammate?

I'll give you time to answer.

NO, NO, YES, NO