2008-2009 Season Predictions...(Your Opinion is Wanted!)

GetRealistic

Starter
I have to co-sign this.
The Knicks do have some athletic chemistry players if given the playingtime early in the season may gain the confidence to compete strong around the All-star season.
I do want a 8th pick in the 2009 draft, after using our 6th pick on a player that will take two seasons to be NBA ready.

My starting 5 at the start of the regular season would not consist of Marbury, Crawford, Q.Rich, and Zach.
These 4 players nonleadership has earned them to be the first 4 players off the bench at the start of the season.
If they can handle comming off the bench and playing at a full performance, then and only then..... will their trade value go up sky high.

Then what would your starting 5 consist of?

jimkcchief88

All Star
This team did nothing to help themselves during the offseason. We wasted our number one draft pick and a new coach won't make a difference. 30 wins is optimistic, 21 wins is more realistic.

Starks

Starter
One thing I predict is that this run n gun offense will fail misreably.

NYC has a tradition of being the center of Eastern Conf basketball- an offense that is methodical and a defense that is stifling.

You don't just change that around over an offseason. Defense is what gets teams deep in the playoffs. High paced offense is what might get you on a few winning streaks.

If there is a night where the Knicks are cold, and god knows there was a lot of them last season, what will be the rest of the game plan?

I think Mike D may help rid fans the taste of Thomas but in the long run it won't work out.
My bold prediciton is that Mike D gets lambasted by the media and quits after this season

Kiyaman

Legend
Then what would your starting 5 consist of?

I can see you really want to know just to debate my coaching knowledge.

I would put overweight 300 pound fat Eddy Curry in the starting lineup to do something he was capable of doing throughout his NBA career (except with Selfish Zach) that alot of members forgot. Demand the double team to stop him from scoring in the first quarter which always lead to oposing starters getting into early foul trouble defending Curry.

David Lee will be my other starter because he never stop moving and crash the boards on both sides of the court.

Chandler need early confidence to start defining his game plan and the best two bigmen to define his game around on this team is Curry & Lee. This would make Chandler work harder on his peremeter shooting and slashing with Curry getting doubled downlow

Nate Robinson is the natural starter who transition game and passing skillz fit in an uptempo or halfcourt offense.

This is Marbury lastseason with the team at $21 million, if he was wise enough to get that kind of payday then he deserve to be in the starting lineup.

GetRealistic

Starter
I do give you credit for leaving Mardy Collins out of the starting lineup, becuase we all know it took everything you had to keep him out of the lineup.

I understand that you want the young guys to play, and that you a massive fan of Lee, and Nate. But Marbury and Nate as the starting backcourt has absolutely no perimeter defense. In all actuality that starting 5 you named has one defender and that is Wilson Chandler. And i am a firm believer that Wilson Chandler is going to be a very nice player, but when his other two front court mates play absolutely no defense it makes it tough.

We all love David Lee's hustle and rebounding but he's not a dender. It's really hard to make a lineup that gives you offense and defense because without Jefferies we honestly have no front court defenders on the team.

I can live with a lineup of

Duhon
Crawford
Chandler
Lee
Curry

But in all reality with Currys lack of health and the apparent new found desire to play Randolph has shown he will be the starter at center.

And Atleast for the beginging of the season I see Q starting, for the simple point it'd be nice to have a guy who knows the playbook out on the floor.

portega1968

El Cacique
this is ground control to mayor Tom...

Today's comments in the NYP by Mike D'Antoni should adjust the hype a bit:

The Knicks won't play their first preseason game until tonight, but Mike D'Antoni already has seen "bad habits" from his club and called its effort "spotty" yesterday.

On the eve of their preseason opener against the Raptors at Air Canada Centre, D'Antoni said he's unhappy with their intensity level in his first critical remarks as Knicks head coach.

"We got to get the effort right," D'Antoni said. "We got to get the effort on both ends right. Then we can start playing well. It's been pretty spotty up till now."

MORE: Knicks Blog

D'Antoni, who is known for being ultra positive, said he understands where questionable effort stems from - with records of 33-49, 23-59, 33-49 and 23-59 the past four seasons.

"You get in bad habits," D'Antoni said. "You play for two, three years when every play doesn't matter, every game doesn't matter, you get in those kind of habits. It plays tricks on your mind. You think you're playing hard but you really aren't.

"It's something that has to change, then we can work on becoming a good team. But we haven't had the effort; people understanding how hard it's going to be."

LJ4ptplay

Starter

The Knicks won't play their first preseason game until tonight, but Mike D'Antoni already has seen "bad habits" from his club and called its effort "spotty" yesterday.

On the eve of their preseason opener against the Raptors at Air Canada Centre, D'Antoni said he's unhappy with their intensity level in his first critical remarks as Knicks head coach.

"We got to get the effort right," D'Antoni said. "We got to get the effort on both ends right. Then we can start playing well. It's been pretty spotty up till now."

D'Antoni, who is known for being ultra positive, said he understands where questionable effort stems from - with records of 33-49, 23-59, 33-49 and 23-59 the past four seasons.

"You get in bad habits," D'Antoni said. "You play for two, three years when every play doesn't matter, every game doesn't matter, you get in those kind of habits. It plays tricks on your mind. You think you're playing hard but you really aren't.

"It's something that has to change, then we can work on becoming a good team. But we haven't had the effort; people understanding how hard it's going to be."

Yeah, that's why I predict another awful season. We will be lucky to get 35 wins, and more likely we will get 25. Regardless of the coach and system, this roster is filled with losers. Guys that give up and pout when things don't go well. This team gave up on Larry Brown and Isiah, and they will probably give up on D'Antoni when the losses start accumulating. Until we get rid of the losers and lockerroom caners, and start getting team players with heart and leadership, this team will always be at the bottom of the league.

WiL8000

Rotation player
I thinks it's best as a fan of the Knicks to have low expectations, this way you're not too disappointed. Of course I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I think if the Knicks can mesh somehow this season, they might be compete for the 8th seed in the playoffs. I'd be satisfied with that after the last two seasons. This is a rebuilding process now, so there needs to be patience...I'll have to remind myself of that at some point this season... I'm sure.

I can also see a trade occurring around the All Star break. Too many scenarios to contemplate on who should traded, but ultimately that will depend on the first half of the season.

Kiyaman

Legend

Dantoni comments after training-camp are only half of the same comments that announcer "Mark Jackson and Marv Albert" commented on in the Knicks vs Nets game last season.
The things Dantoni said was known by many before Donnie Walsh was hired.
This is why the rebuilding-mode of this Knick Team started so early after the 2007-8 trading deadline passed. A Big Change of replacements from top to bottom was expected once the new President of Operations were replaced.
Check the dates of when owner Dolan gave permission to a 20 year veteran President to start making these changes.

Jackson Says He's Intrigued By Knick Job
April 19, 2008 - 12:48 pm Journal News -

Mark Jackson appears to be the favorite to win the head coaching job in New York.

During Saturday's playoff television broadcast, Jackson was asked about the possibility of filling the coaching vacancy and called it intriguing. He also called the Knicks franchise storied and said he has a great relationship with new team president Donnie Walsh.

Former Knick coach Jeff Van Gundy, who was also thought to be in contention for the job, gave his endorsement of Jackson. "He?s the right guy at the right time for the New York Knicks ," Van Gundy said. [READ]