Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70

Thread: Religulous

  1. #16
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I think the story of Jesus and the Bible is a little more interesting than the flying spaghetti monster.
    What about Krishna, Zeus or Apollo? Those are interesting stories. Do you follow those Gods?

  2. #17
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    What about Krishna, Zeus or Apollo? Those are interesting stories. Do you follow those Gods?
    Never heard of Krishna but the other two weren't real people. Big difference.

    And don't say that Jesus never existed because Flavius Josephus, who was not a follower of Jesus, wrote about him in his writings and confirmed the crucifixion with Ponteus Pilate and the Jewish leaders.

    He was real and he was crucified. Big difference.

  3. #18
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I think the story of Jesus and the Bible is a little more interesting than the flying spaghetti monster.
    That is your opinion. I find the fact that FSM chose to place a midget into his plans when creating mountains was a very bold choice.

    But to each his own....

  4. #19
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    That is your opinion. I find the fact that FSM chose to place a midget into his plans when creating mountains was a very bold choice.

    But to each his own....
    I'll take the Bible and the word of Jesus Christ, and you can worship the flying spaghetti monster.

    Turner, honest question, do you believe there is any purpose in life other than living and dieing?

  5. #20
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I'll take the Bible and the word of Jesus Christ, and you can worship the flying spaghetti monster.

    Turner, honest question, do you believe there is any purpose in life other than living and dieing?

    Nope. But hey, there isn't much more in the Christian way of life. Its just live, die, and either suffer eternally or be chosen to be in eternal happyiness.

    Honestly, the afterlife is the most bogus part to the Bible for me. I could totally understand a creator or whatever and the majority of the Bible much more if the idea of an Afterlife wasn't in there. It is just too convenient for me. It just covers the need of people to avoid the fear of death.

    Can I see god as a being that enjoys toying with his creations for his own amusement? Yes.

    Can I even remotely believe he is someone seeing if his own creatioins are flawed or not during their entire lives to see if they deserve eternal salvation or damnation? No way in hell....No pun intendeded..

  6. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    That's a good one. I've always liked that argument. It is essentially saying that since you cannot prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist, then therefore it must exist. As with all Gods: Krishna, Jehovah, Yahweh, Zeus, Apollo, Allah, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc etc....It's a nice way of making the point that none of those Gods exists and they were all created by man, like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

    The difference between all of those God's and Jehovah is, Jehovah makes things happen. The rest of them, not so much.

  7. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Never heard of Krishna but the other two weren't real people. Big difference.

    And don't say that Jesus never existed because Flavius Josephus, who was not a follower of Jesus, wrote about him in his writings and confirmed the crucifixion with Ponteus Pilate and the Jewish leaders.

    He was real and he was crucified. Big difference.
    Neither was Krishna.

    The most fascinating part of this is that evolutionists fail to give thought to Neanderthal and such as human species that just died off. Instead, they try to make them a species apart from humans, though they won't go as far as to say they are anything else, just to fit their belief. But condemn the Bible, which has has factual events in our very modern human history, that no other book in the world has at the time of being written, as hog wash.

    If credible scientist's can even fathom Neanderthal and modern humans breeding.. Even think it possible, then they'd also be conceding that Neanderthal is in fact human. Because no matter how closely monkey and human dna are, no one thinks they can interbreed.

    The Bible says that God created all beings according to their KINDS. So why can't Neanderthal be a KIND of human, that just no longer exists?

  8. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Nope. But hey, there isn't much more in the Christian way of life. Its just live, die, and either suffer eternally or be chosen to be in eternal happyiness.
    Actually, the Bible does not really teach eternal suffering. It is widely believed that Hell is for bad people. Jesus died perfectly faithful to God, yet the bible says he was in Hades or hell for 3 days. Why would God allow a person who never did any wrong to burn in hell for any length of time? Makes no sense. And no form of reasoning can make that make sense. Because that then means that even good people go to hell to burn. So then really, what is the criteria for escaping it, even if it did exists? And besides that, Jesus has no recollection of anything that went on while he was dead for 3 days. Why is that? Is not hell meant for those who have sinned against God? And are they not there to be in torment for their sins? Over and over and over and over... Eternally? Ponder that thought, with the fact that Jesus likened Lazarus death to sleep. Lazarus dead 4 days, one more day than Jesus was dead. You mean to tell me neither of them could write one sentence in the bible about the afterlife, while spending a combined 7 days dead, but the bible can record miraculous prophecy in remarkable detail? Or maybe it is just as ecclesiastes 9:5 says.. The dead are conscious of nothing at all. You're either dead, or you're alive. No in between.



    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Can I see god as a being that enjoys toying with his creations for his own amusement? Yes.
    While I can completely understand your thought here, and have pondered similar a time or two in my life as well, the Bible explains why things are the way they are. And God finds nothing about humans living and dying apart from him in turmoil any fun.


    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Can I even remotely believe he is someone seeing if his own creatioins are flawed or not during their entire lives to see if they deserve eternal salvation or damnation? No way in hell....No pun intendeded..
    Well even humans acknowledge that they are flawed. So God would have known that before we did. But why are we flawed? If the bible is not true, what is the answer to that? Why are humans flawed?

    God knows that no human is perfect, and he wants all who love him to live forever. But Love is a two way street. Both parties have to want it. You show you love him by obeying what he as the maker says is best for us. The same way you'd listen to your parents growing up for showing their love by raising you the best way they knew how.

    The issue of life and death with God is parralel to what we see in life from loving parents. As much as our parents try to protect us from the big bad world, it is up to us to heed the warnings and remain as free as possible from it. Parents say, say no to drugs, they can kill you, ruin your family, ruin lives even outside your family. If you go to binging, did your parents stop loving you, or did you just not heed their loving warning?

    Jehovah deals the same way. He says the enemy is the cause of why things are bad, you can avoid being part of it if you abide in what he tells us will keep us as clean as an imperfect person can be from the perils of this system. And it will show that you love him enough to listen as the loving parent he is. And to top it off, he is going to fix what is wrong, for the VERY SAKE OF THOSE WHO LISTEN. But something has eventually got to give. The world can't continue to exist the way it is. There is no future in the way the world is headed. So choose your path. Because like it or not, things are going to change in this world, and it won't be because of Obama.


    And fyi, not trying to run this in the ground, I think we all did a damn good job of expressing our views in other threads. So I will try to leave it here.

    Go Knicks!

  9. #24
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Nope. But hey, there isn't much more in the Christian way of life. Its just live, die, and either suffer eternally or be chosen to be in eternal happyiness.

    Honestly, the afterlife is the most bogus part to the Bible for me. I could totally understand a creator or whatever and the majority of the Bible much more if the idea of an Afterlife wasn't in there. It is just too convenient for me. It just covers the need of people to avoid the fear of death.

    Can I see god as a being that enjoys toying with his creations for his own amusement? Yes.

    Can I even remotely believe he is someone seeing if his own creatioins are flawed or not during their entire lives to see if they deserve eternal salvation or damnation? No way in hell....No pun intendeded..
    I know you think the Afterlife and another world like Heaven or Hell is bogus. But Jesus was crucified because he called himself the Messiah, King of the Jews, and the King of a Kingdom "not of this world." So you have Jesus, a man with everyone against him except for his disciples, ready to do the worst possible things to him, and he still stood straight in the face of Ponteus Pilate and said these words. Why would Jesus risk his life, suffer the most imaginable pain, and utter humiliation for a fantasy world that doesn't exist? You see what I am saying? It doesn't fit. Jesus knew he was right. There was no doubt in his mind.

  10. #25
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Not this GOD bull**** again. For the last time there is no invisble sky daddy coming to rescue you from your ugly wife, pain in the ass kids, the boss you don't like, or that neighbor who you'd love to snuff in a dark alley. The Bible is the word of GOD?

    So apparently this GOD thinks it's perfectly plausible to be able to create a planet before a universe. That it's perfectly acceptable that all races of human beings can come from 1 man, 1 woman..not to mention develop vastly different cultures and languages. That stopping the earth from rotating on it's axis will do no harm. That the earth is the center of the entire UNIVERSE.

    Guy goes on a break around here and sure enough you folks start pulling this **** again.

  11. #26
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    So theory is science now? When has science ever proven that something comes from nothing? Where is the evidence for that?

    I'll surely take the bible over monkey ancestors. Growing that tail yet? lol...
    Your attention span must be really limited...I could've sworn not to long ago I answered this myself in 2 separate threads...over 20 pages long each just about....not to mention others as well explaining the word "THEORY" to you.

  12. #27
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Never heard of Krishna but the other two weren't real people. Big difference.

    And don't say that Jesus never existed because Flavius Josephus, who was not a follower of Jesus, wrote about him in his writings and confirmed the crucifixion with Ponteus Pilate and the Jewish leaders.

    He was real and he was crucified. Big difference.
    Josephus claiming Jesus was real was not based on any credible evidence....

    There are two extant references in Josephus on Jesus, the one directly concerning Jesus has come to be known as the Testimonium Flavianum. These passages appear in The Antiquities of the Jews, written in the year 93 by the Jewish historian Josephus.

    All extant copies of this work, which all derive from Christian sources, even the recently recovered Arabic version, contain the two passages about Jesus. The authenticity of the Testimonium Flavianum has been disputed since the 17th century, and by the mid 18th century the consensus view was that it was a forgery. This consensus was questioned in the 20th century.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  13. #28
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    Josephus claiming Jesus was real was not based on any credible evidence....

    There are two extant references in Josephus on Jesus, the one directly concerning Jesus has come to be known as the Testimonium Flavianum. These passages appear in The Antiquities of the Jews, written in the year 93 by the Jewish historian Josephus.

    All extant copies of this work, which all derive from Christian sources, even the recently recovered Arabic version, contain the two passages about Jesus. The authenticity of the Testimonium Flavianum has been disputed since the 17th century, and by the mid 18th century the consensus view was that it was a forgery. This consensus was questioned in the 20th century.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    You still think he never existed?

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    Your attention span must be really limited...I could've sworn not to long ago I answered this myself in 2 separate threads...over 20 pages long each just about....not to mention others as well explaining the word "THEORY" to you.
    You are the guy who thinks it's ok for people of any age to have sex so long as they are being responsible by using condoms. Even kids.

    Nothing you say has had any relevance to me since. Take care.

  15. #30
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    The difference between all of those God's and Jehovah is, Jehovah makes things happen. The rest of them, not so much.
    That is false. Yet you believe the other gods do not exist and were created by humans, and not yours. You are an atheist in respect to Krishna, Zeus, Apollo, Buddha, etc. I've just taken it one god further.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •