DAVID LEE LOSES 15 Lbs. LOOKS TO BE KNICKS STARTER

Toons

is the Bo$$
Interesting article.....what do u guys think?

kinda glad we didnt trade lee tho. He might earn his money this year.

For the better part of this decade, and especially the last few seasons, there hasn't been a whole lot to cheer about inside Madison Square Garden. And that is putting it kindly. In fact, the soundtrack to most Knick home games had been mostly a cacophony of boos, "Fire Isiah" chants, and other R-rated refrains. And that was just during the pre-game introductions.

However, no matter how gloomy the Garden may have been, there was always at least one hearty, good-natured ovation per game - when David Lee rose from the bench, ripped off his warm-ups and headed towards the scorer's table to check in. Yes, although most Knicks fans were disgusted with so many aspects of the organization (the owner, GM, coach, players, etc.) David Lee still got love from the home folks. On a team that endlessly irritated New York basketball fans with their consistent refusal to play defense or exert the least bit of hustle, Lee stuck out like a sore thumb, which quickly earned him "crowd favorite" status inside the World's Most Famous Arena.

This season, Knicks fans may not have to wait to cheer for Lee; they'll be able to applaud during introduction of the starting lineup. Yes, after coming off the bench for the first three seasons of his NBA career, it appears Lee is going to be installed as a starter.

New coach Mike D'Antoni has inserted Lee as his starting power forward in each of New York's first three preseason games. The results have been remarkably impressive. Heading into Tuesday's game with the Sixers, Lee was averaging 20.5 points and 12 rebounds per contest, while shooting a ridiculous 74% from the floor and 87.5% from the free-throw line.

But for Lee, these early encouraging results are certainly not surprising. After all the work Lee put in this offseason, this is what he envisioned. These are merely the first signs of positive production after a summer full of intense hard work to improve his overall game. Back at media day, on the eve of training camp, Lee told HOOPSWORLD about the hours spent working on his shot and preparing for the run-and-gun style Mike D'Antoni would bring with him from Phoenix.

"I've worked my butt off on my jump shot endlessly this summer," said Lee. "Coach is very excited about my progress. I've got myself in great shape. In the last month and a half I've lost 15 pounds doing these drills with all these guys getting up and down the floor. I was here every day. I started here in mid may. I feel like I'm in great shape."

Lee also focused his workouts, preparing specifically for the type of system D'Antoni prefers. "We're going to use athleticism and quickness more than we have in years past," Lee explained. "Being a guy that wants to be successful I have to adapt to what's happening around me." When asked about where he will fit in, Lee is comfortable as long as he is on the floor. "We'll see where he puts me. Even if I get to 295, a lot of the 5's and 4's, they're just so strong. My advantage has always been my quickness."

Lee further elaborated on the challenges of playing for Coach Mike D. "First of all, it's going to be getting up and down the court, playing in transition for the majority of the game and making quick decisions. I think that is going to be a big plus for what I do. My advantage is going to be speed, rather than playing a grind it out game where you're just wrestling in the post. Other changes will be running a lot of pick and rolls. I did that in college. It's going to come down to making a lot more decisions on the fly and having a feel for the game. It's going to be an adjustment for everybody. For me, I'm going to have to prove I can hit that 15-footer to be most effective. I've worked on that aspect of my game all summer and hopefully I can be effective with it."

And David has done just that thus far. When defenses sag off, Lee has not hesitated popping off a long jumper. When they body him, and try to muscle him up top, he utilizes his quickness and attacks the basket. The statistical results have been very encouraging, to say the least.

Lee was at it again on Tuesday night. Although the Knicks lost to Philadelphia, Lee had another stellar showing. He finished with 7 rebounds and 17 points, connecting on 5 of his 11 FG attempts and all seven of his free-throws. In addition, Lee dished out a game-high 7 assists, with many of his dimes coming off long outlet passes.

With the regular season starting in just a couple of weeks, Lee knows there is great deal of work still left to be done. After Tuesday's loss, he admitted that pace of play took its toll as the game dragged on. "I was energized for about 30 minutes, but those last four or five I was really feeling it," Lee told reporters afterwards.

But Lee is no stranger to hard work, so it is safe to assume he will continue to do whatever it takes to successfully acclimate himself to D'Antoni's demanding pace of play.

Get ready to cheer Knicks fans ? D Lee doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon?

Toons

is the Bo$$
i also heard from a reliable sourse that marbury is going to start opening night

i think our lineup will be

marbs
craw
chandler
lee
zach

portega1968

El Cacique
I doubt Stephon will be inserted at PG... in any case, he would replace Crawford in the lineup, not Duhon (if Duhon fails, he will be replaced by Collins).

portega1968

El Cacique
where did u get that from?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...chris_duhon_struggles_for_knicks_stephon.html

check the link...
dantoni knows tha this inst mpreseason anymore
time for lab tests are over
he is going for the win....
if not duhon
marbs or n8
more than likely marbs

Toons, that link is a story from almost three weeks ago.

We can all have an opinion on Duhon, but fact is, D'Antoni hasn't said anything that will make you even think he's considering not starting Duhon... or considering Marbury to repalce him at PG.

What I hope he realized from last week is that Stephon at the SF spot is a no-no.

The way he's been playing, he mostly uses Duhon and Collins at the PG with Crawford and Stephon at SG.. and if Nate is in the game without Duhon or Collins, THEN he uses Steph at the PG.

Coach will go with Duhon, Jamal, QRich, Lee and Zach tomorrow at Miami... no reason to believe otherwise. Although Chandler is preferable than QRich, he's sticking with Qrich at the SF.

Paul1355

All Star
i also heard from a reliable sourse that marbury is going to start opening night

i think our lineup will be

marbs
craw
chandler
lee
zach

Thats solid....i'd put Duhon and Marbury in the back court for some defense and passing but Crawford can give you 15 ppg on a decent night.

Paul1355

All Star
Toons, that link is a story from almost three weeks ago.

We can all have an opinion on Duhon, but fact is, D'Antoni hasn't said anything that will make you even think he's considering not starting Duhon... or considering Marbury to repalce him at PG.

What I hope he realized from last week is that Stephon at the SF spot is a no-no.

The way he's been playing, he mostly uses Duhon and Collins at the PG with Crawford and Stephon at SG.. and if Nate is in the game without Duhon or Collins, THEN he uses Steph at the PG.

Coach will go with Duhon, Jamal, QRich, Lee and Zach tomorrow at Miami... no reason to believe otherwise. Although Chandler is preferable than QRich, he's sticking with Qrich at the SF.

Yea I think Mike D understands that you can't teach talent and Marbury has the most of it on this team. He has the potential to still score 30 points in a game with 10 assists. He just has to play aggressive and drive the ball and you'll see Marbury's numbers soar.

He might start Duhon in the future if Crawford starts struggling.

Kiyaman

Legend
Dantoni knows starting "Marbury & Crawful" is a foolish NBA move.
He also know starting "Curry & Zach" is a foolish NBA move.

And we all know that Marbury's $21 million contract, and Zach's $48 million contract has the last word on whether they start or not.

CoolClyde

DLee from Starter to ex-Knick

David Lee will not be a Knick for long. Letting him become a restricted free agent is akin to letting him go, as well as Nate. The new front office mentality is bent on saving money (goodbye Balkmania and Pat Ewing Jr, keeping Jerome James), so how in the world are they going to resign David Lee and Nate the Gr8 at market value price? I know there's a number of fans out there who think DLee and N8 will never be starter material, but even then, these guys have been the only heart and soul of this team since Isiah took over. The market will dictate that these guys are worth millions more than the Knicks think they are, and then we're going to lose them... one or the other or both, and then we'll be stuck with the loser headcases that can't play worth squat. This all comes down to stupid Jimmy Dolan not knowing where to spend his money wisely. Lame!

can you tell i'm pissed? First Balkmania, now Pat Ewing Jr. how long before DLEE and N8 are gone? damn damn damn

Paul1355

All Star
David Lee will not be a Knick for long. Letting him become a restricted free agent is akin to letting him go, as well as Nate. The new front office mentality is bent on saving money (goodbye Balkmania and Pat Ewing Jr, keeping Jerome James), so how in the world are they going to resign David Lee and Nate the Gr8 at market value price? I know there's a number of fans out there who think DLee and N8 will never be starter material, but even then, these guys have been the only heart and soul of this team since Isiah took over. The market will dictate that these guys are worth millions more than the Knicks think they are, and then we're going to lose them... one or the other or both, and then we'll be stuck with the loser headcases that can't play worth squat. This all comes down to stupid Jimmy Dolan not knowing where to spend his money wisely. Lame!

can you tell i'm pissed? First Balkmania, now Pat Ewing Jr. how long before DLEE and N8 are gone? damn damn damn

Yea you have a point. I honestly don't know how Lee and Nate would want to stay unless they accept a cheap contract which won't happen because another team will offer them multi million dollar deals. After this year, with out injury, Lee and Nate's value will soar.

If Donnie was smart, he would move these guys for picks or to get rid of a high priced player with them. He has to do it this year.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

Im a HUGE David Lee fan and I completly agree 110% with you that he and Nate won't be here for long.The knicks front office is the worst in the nba and it seems like it does'nt bother them one bit that they are the laughing stock in the nba.Lee and Nate are the heart and soul of the Knicks hell they are the Knicks imo.I would have already signed both of them to contracts and gotten rid of James,Curry,Crawford,Marbury.To win in the NBA you have to be smart when making your moves to improve your team and we all know the Knicks front office does'nt know a damn think on how to improve your franchise.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Lame that hired Walsh to dictact Knicks Game

Cosign.... two times.

David Lee my not be a Super-Star or an All-Star.... but he does give you alot more than the average $8 million or more PF in the league for 30 mpg.

Nate Robinson maybe considered a bench player or 6th man....but his athletic abilities to win a game is so exciting as a 5.7 combo-guard he makes every stadium standup to see such a little guy with a big performance.

The Knicks finally starting David Lee in his final contract season without a decent Starting Center and SF, will not lower Lee's FA value on the maket.
It may persuade a NBA team that has a long future for David Lee on their team to trade exspensively for him to get Lee out of the controversal Knicks atmosphere.

David Lee and Nate Robinson are to good at being chemistry players to be on this selfish Knick team....when they leave expect Wilson Chandler to do the same in his final contract season.

Dolan was a Lame in the Firing of Ernie Grundfield, and the hiring of Layden, Isiah, and Walshed-up...

Kiyaman

Legend
We can match any contract they get offered.

Good Point. But what happens to "Walsh 2010-Plan"?

In Donnie Walsh last interview he did say something about not decreasing the Salary cap until the 2010 offseason.
So we should be expecting Marbury & Malik to be traded this season.

portega1968

El Cacique
Lee and Nate are the ultimate 6th men, no two are better off the bench... but they are not the best starters you want to build around whoever it is we get through free agency in 2010.

In this offense, Chandler is our future starting PF with Gallo at the SF. Someone like Chris Bosh or Stoudamire would result in one hell of a frontcourt. But we know everyone wants Lebron.

Thing is, like many have said here, how can we get under the cap and still have money to keep these guys and attract the free agents of 2010 like Lebron, Wage, Anthony, Stoudamire, etc.?

We may see an owner's lockout by then, but let's assume that the cap is around $70mil. Everyone gone except for guys not named Gallo, Chandler, Nate and Lee and maybe a resigned Duhon for $5mil?

Based on Bynum asking for $17mil, Lee and Nate may think they should get like $12mil for 5 years. Knicks might've extended them if it couldve been done for like $8mil (do ya'll think Lee and Nate are worth more than $10mil?).

Chandler will be up for the big money in that summer of 2010, so we're looking at something around $10mil for 2011. Gallo will still be in the rookie deal, which for a 6th pick is like almost an MLE.

Bosh and the four who are either trade bait or keepers (Chandler, Gallo with Lee and Nate off the bench)... that's more than half of your cap and you still need 10 more players.

That's why Walsh had to let the market set the price for Lee and Nate to see how that will plug in to the 2010 plan. The money they were asking now was just not doable.

this is a move im actually ok with

theirs no telling what the market will be next year in terms of who gets what

their RESTRICTED, aka Josh Smith'd, so we're gonna be able to match whatever offer gets put out for them, or sign them before, theirs no rush to sign them now. especially with their loyalty to the knicks (as it seems with their ammt of face time on MSG,etc.) i dont see them going anywhere with 2010 around the bend. they have a chance to play in nyc, with a team they've been aching to be a part of since they arrived, d'antoni is still dealing with the PG situation now, if he gives n8 a contract, its going to cause that much MORE drama in the back court,let alone the locker room. one of the two will definitely be around next season, more than likely both UNLESS they get traded. that i could see happen a little more realistically.

getting rid of nate in this system is a bonehead move, and the same could be said for lee. if lee's hitting his jumper from 17 out, theirs no reason to trade him. if lee's jumper, galo's dexterity, chandlers quickness and strength, and nates explosiveness and handling all come together in the same lineup, it could be one star away (read: lebron, you want) from being a championship 5.maybe then we can finally start debating about the bench more than the starting squad.

GetRealistic

Starter
Gone After this year
Malik
Marbury

After Next
Jerome
Mardy/Duhon or both

The key to the whole plan is getting rid of atleast two of the following Curry, Crawford, and Zach.

Zach is the obvious first choice because his contract is the longest and biggest. But if Zach really buys in and you can get rid of Curry and Crawford your fine.

If you trade two of those players smartly, by getting draft picks and expiring contracts the plan could honestly work. And if packaging Lee with one of them makes it happen it has to happen.

But in the case we are able to trade Zach, we should easily be able to sign Lee and Nate unless they both want crazy amounts of money, and in that case they can walk.

In a perfect world or fantasy world you could have something like this in 2010 (I don't think we'll be bad enough to get Rubio).

Nash -- (Can opt out in 2010 would sign for cheap for a chance in NY and reunite with D'Antoni)
Lebron -- (No Brooklyn means it comes down to Chicago, Cleveland and us)
Chandler -- (Still at a resonable price)
Lee --
Thabeet (Or another talent big man we draft, his name just comes to mind)

Bench

Galo
Nate
Collins/Duhon
Curry/ Crawford Hopefully neither
09 second rd pick
2010 second rd
Q -- I doubt we'll be able to unload him.