I think Mikey D. told Steph before the game straight up that he wasn't gonna play

richtree

Rotation player
Using my brain and my years in atheltics.....

I think Mike D told Steph he wasn't gonna play before the game....

Firstly, the introduced him first (get it out of the way)

Then, what was most evident was that Steph sat on the bench one seat after Roberson....(who was in street clothes)

If he really thought he was going to get any mins. at all he wouldn't have been down there....

The chants of Steph were great and Mardy's play was awful....

and we know in the NBA over a season he will get his opportunites

Just felt like he was doing it intentionally to Steph to let him know he is the boss and its time to get going...

Well, Glad we won ...Knicks 1-0 ....

Done, Done, On to the NExt One

Tree

KBlack25

Starter
The real test comes now. How does Marbury respond? Does he put up another YouTube worthy interview, or does he shut his mouth and wait patiently for time?

Trin_Starr

Starter
The real test begins when the knicks play a REAL team...the heat is garbage...all they have is wade and marion...and they almost won the game in the 4th...

The knicks have no defense and that will allow any team to come back into the game and have a chance at winning.

At that point - the boos will begin raining down.

KBlack25

Starter
The real test begins when the knicks play a REAL team...the heat is garbage...all they have is wade and marion...and they almost won the game in the 4th...

The knicks have no defense and that will allow any team to come back into the game and have a chance at winning.

At that point - the boos will begin raining down.

I meant for Stephon...the next couple days could show he hasn't changed at all, or that he might have changed some...

richtree

Rotation player
i was thinking the same thing K Black ....

lets see what happens from here.....

its obviously only 4 guards can play ....and I can't see Collins lasting the season as that forth guard....

and by the way ...Chandler still looks hurt

Trin_Starr

Starter
I know what you meant :)
I just think it was a such a humiliation to Marbury that D'Antoni would do him in like that.
Marbury has been a good soldier all through camp, put himself into the best shape of his life, worked on his game and this is how he gets treated.
That's f#cked up.
All I'm saying is wait til the knicks play real teams who will abuse their @ss and then what??? - the knicks are a more exciting team than last year but without any D - they're always going to lose to good teams...

If D'Antoni does not plan on playing Marbury - then buy the dude out...so that he can play somewhere else.
If he was being a cancer then I can see him f#cking with him like that but Steph didn't deserve that...

KBlack25

Starter
I know what you meant :)
I just think it was a such a humiliation to Marbury that D'Antoni would do him in like that.
Marbury has been a good soldier all through camp, put himself into the best shape of his life, worked on his game and this is how he gets treated.
That's f#cked up.
All I'm saying is wait til the knicks play real teams who will abuse their @ss and then what??? - the knicks are a more exciting team than last year but without any D - they're always going to lose to good teams...

If D'Antoni does not plan on playing Marbury - then buy the dude out...so that he can play somewhere else.
If he was being a cancer then I can see him f#cking with him like that but Steph didn't deserve that...

Co-sign, but I think the bigger question is why did they cut PEJ in favor basically of ANOTHER pg if even Steph couldn't clock minutes? I could see keeping Roberson if there was a rotation of all 5 guards going on, but if you aren't even going to let Steph see time, I doubt Roberson will see time...

Trin_Starr

Starter
Maybe that's why they decided to keep Roberson because in D'Antoni's mind - he knew he wasn't going to play marbury and is secretly hoping that marbury asks to be bought out so that they can negiotate a smaller buyout price.
With marbury gone, they definitely need another guard to fill in aka roberson...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Apparently Donnie and Mike D wanted Mebury to be bought out before training camp started. The players all hated him and wanted him gone too. But Dolan refused to pay Steph $21 mil to go play for another team, which I understand.

So, D'Antoni is doing two things, 1.) giving playing time to the future so he and Donnie can evaluate their place in the future, and 2.) being a player's coach by not giving the most hated man in the lockerroom playing time, something Isiah should have done.

Mebury is not part of the future. This season is not about winning, but about evaluating the players for the future. And don't say Mebury doesn't deserve any of this. He made his bed and now he has to lay in it.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Marbury

Neither D'Antoni nor Walsh have any bad history with Steph. He came into camp in great shape, played reasonably well in the pre-season and apparently behaved himself admirably. Both Walsh and D'Antoni are known to be decent guys. It does not appear to be part of either's nature to humiliate Steph.

I see two possibilities -- or perhaps "likely scenarios" -- for Steph's DNP. The first is simply a message that the team can, and will if necessary, do without him unless he toes the D'Antoni line. It is something like benching Plaxico for the first quarter when he misbehaves prior to the game. In this scenario, Steph will begin getting minutes. Everyone knows he is a very talented player.

The second scenario --well, though Walsh and D'Antoni have no prior bad history with Steph, Dolan does. He might be punishing Steph or at least trying to induce a willingness on the part of Steph to take a discounted buy-out. If the Knicks do not intend to have Steph in the rotation, there must be some reasonable compromise with respect to a buy-out.

I am not a Crawford fan. I hope he is being show-cased. He has a large 2010 contract. And lets not get excited about beating Miami. They have no inside and Wade had a bad shooting day. Chandler is going to be a beast. Lee made some great passes. Z-Bo looked good.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Yeah I think this was D’Antoni letting steph and everyone else know that he’s the boss and he’s not motivated by how great a player is, but how the player fits in with his philosophy. Basically a hierarchy move.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree with so many on this thread, however Phoenix assistant coach Dantoni have 2 years of history with Marbury.
That is the reason why I was "SHOCKED" when coach Dantoni chose the Knicks over a team that had the first pick in the draft, plus some solid uptempo young players.

Starks

Starter
This is much deeper than that.

Look on the Knicks websites, around the garden, watch commericals, read the Knick newsletters about player appearnaces.

Marbury is not included in any marketing material at all.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what that means. He is only part of this team through a bad contract that they can't move.

He's not supposed to be here, but with the horrible global economy that we are living through, no one will cut 21 mil for nothing. The DNP was a message to the fans, Marb is not part of this team anymore.

Kiyaman

Legend
Did Dantoni make a bold move by not playing Marbury & Curry? no!

Last season it was obvious as the noise of a duck, the Knicks should've gave their five (5) top young players (Nate, Collins, Chandler, Balkman, and Lee) some decent playingtime in their rotation.
Marbury only played in 24 games last season, and Curry only played in 59 games averaging 24 mpg.

The Knicks were in dire need of a head-coach that had a system plan last season. Coach Isiah Thomas rotation of the highest paid contracts did not work or win without Marbury in the lineup.

The Knicks hiring coach Dantoni was a great move....untill the "special-perks" that came along with hiring Uncle Dantoni were Neopotism....drafting his nephew Danilo Gallinari with the Knicks 6th pick (this guy is far from NBA Ready. That pick belong to Brook Lopez who recorded a 8-8 in his first NBA game). Danilo's 3 minutes of playingtime vs Miami proved he would've been cut or sent to the D-League draft from the average NBA team. Not saying he cant play B-Ball but the switch to NBA B-Ball is a year or so away from him now.

The Knicks will be needing Marbury's 30 mpg performance this season to win above 30 games this season. The problem lies in.... will his teammates accept to perform at top level alongside of Marbury.
I also hope the Knicks have plans on making an early trade for a bonafied 6.9 defender to make some stops on oponents.

GetRealistic

Starter
The fact of the matter is Marbury isn't in the future plans of the team. Mardy Collins, Chris Duhon, Jamal Crawford, and most likely Nate Robinson are are going to be here next season while Marbury will not be. We're not going to be a good team with or without Marbury so D'Antoni wants to play the guys that are going to be here for the forseeable future.

I really don't understand why this is such a shock. We signed a new starting point guard and picked up the option on Collins so the writing was on the wall.

If hes willing to negioate a buyout where we don't have to pay him his entire contract i could easily see him being bought out and us resigning Ewing Jr.

This move has nothing to do with ability or even attitude because Marbury to this point has kept his mouth shut. This move has to do with the future and Marbury isn't in the future.

This team is pointing to 2010 not this season. We all know that and at some point it has to be excepted.

Its becoming fairly obvious that some people (TrinnStar) are bigger Marbury fans then Knicks fans. We won the game and scored 120 points without him. I could see the complaining if we lost but the fact is we won.

Also Kiya that 6'9 defender your talking about is Jefferies. Theres not going to be any trades unless we can unload Curry or Randolph which won't be until closer to the deadline.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Marbury

GetRealistic's points make a lot of sense. For Marbury's sake, I hope there is a reasonable buy-out so that his talent is not wasted. He does not need the new airplane.

King Ewing

Banned
Its great news no matter what way you look at it. We won!

Marbury can try and spread his cancer in the locker room, but not on the floor.

We won, thats all that matters. Things are changing, and I like it!

metrocard

Legend
Marbury is the most mistreated superstar/all star caliber player in New York Sports history.

Don't even make me bring out the outline on you guys.