Why Marbury Was Benched

Toons

is the Bo$$
Advice: Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and Marbury met Friday in a meeting where Marbury asked if he was going to play. When told he would not be seeing action, Marbury reportedly requested to be put on the inactive list.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Mike D'Antoni is a straight up d!(k. I have no respect for him. He's basically throwing the season down the drain, by not playing Marbury and not starting Chandler. I am a Knick fan, and I want to see the Knicks compete, not get their s#!t rocked every night.

Knicks' record without Marbury last season: 17-41(.293)
Knicks' record without Marbury in the starting lineup last season: 17-46(.269)

Expect to see more of that this season.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
The 76er's was a Trick or Treat Game

I wanted Isiah deleted from New York, and I was mad as hell when we replaced him with Walsh, plus Dantoni was the last defenseless coach I wanted on this team.
Kiya

Trick or Treat Day
Steph is put on the inactive list, Steph was 1 of the only 5 players which was fit this season to play in Dantoni's system on this 15 man roster.

This proves that Walsh & Dantoni's 2008-9 plan is to have the worst Lottery Team this season.

Keeping the same roster from last season.... which was\is a 23 win roster.... without Marbury. com'on what did you guys expect me to write this offseason..... look at each quarter of the Sixers game......And the Sixers coach Cheeks have alot of work to do on the Sixers offensive setup and defense this year.

76ers -31-29-31-25--116
Knicks -24-24-24-15--87<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

richtree

Rotation player
Lets just say next game crawford seperates his shoulder and is out for 20 games ....

and mardy collins tweaks a hammy and is out for 3 games...

if steph brought back ? and just left in street clothes while knicks play with

roberson and a D-leaguer ?

richtree

Rotation player
Mikey D is full of Sh9t

Lets just say next game crawford seperates his shoulder and is out for 20 games ....

and mardy collins tweaks a hammy and is out for 3 games...

if steph brought back ? and just left in street clothes while knicks play with

roberson and a D-leaguer ?....

and how does Malik Rose fit into the :future: ? ? ?

Crawford played awful today.....missed open looks., abused on Def ., couldn't finsih any plays to the rack....

he sickens me to watch his frail ass ....

and our draft pick looks like a waste already., ( iknow its early) ...but yuck for DG so far

.......................knicks...............what an awful season on the way....

Question if Marbury takes a buyout of 13 mil ., than signs with Golden State or Sacramento for 9 mil ...would he be making money ?

The sixers and raptors are soo much better than us....then celtics , cavs , and pistons., we have no chance with this team....

and tack on 5 extra loses for not having marbury....and with any injury could be another 5 loses...prediction is now 29 wins...

season over game 2....thanks management....

King Ewing

Banned
Mike D'Antoni is a straight up d!(k. I have no respect for him. He's basically throwing the season down the drain, by not playing Marbury and not starting Chandler. I am a Knick fan, and I want to see the Knicks compete, not get their s#!t rocked every night.

Well I have a ton of respect for D'Antoni, he's not playing Marbury for a reason (a very good reason). He's a good coach he knows what he's doing.

I'm also a Knicks fan, and I also want to see the Knicks compete and thank god that Marbury is not playing. I've watch that loser (check the win/loss with Marbury on the team) the last 5 seasons and I am so damn sick of it. I'm beyond happy he's not playing and I am finally enoying Knicks basketball again.

Marbury = 0 playoff wins in 5 years! 0!! I can throw out 100 different stats because I've watched Marbury suck on this team the last 5 years. Lets wait more then 2 games to before we rip D'Antoni's moves.

TunerAddict

Starter
Well I have a ton of respect for D'Antoni, he's not playing Marbury for a reason (a very good reason). He's a good coach he knows what he's doing.

I'm also a Knicks fan, and I also want to see the Knicks compete and thank god that Marbury is not playing. I've watch that loser (check the win/loss with Marbury on the team) the last 5 seasons and I am so damn sick of it. I'm beyond happy he's not playing and I am finally enoying Knicks basketball again.

Marbury = 0 playoff wins in 5 years! 0!! I can throw out 100 different stats because I've watched Marbury suck on this team the last 5 years. Lets wait more then 2 games to before we rip D'Antoni's moves.

:agreed:

Go Knicks!

KologeroBx

Benchwarmer

^ Truth

But Some Of These Nerds Have A Sentimental Crush On The Guy

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I don't get some of you people, hating on Crawford and Marbury. I've watched the knicks since 1988, and Crawford is a good player, probably in the same league with Sprewell or Starks, except those guys played on teams that had Ewing on them, which is why they were successful. If you remember, those same guys became losers, as soon as Pat was traded to Seattle.

Crawford shoots in the low 40s and still averages 20 points per game. Richardson has shot 37 percent for most of his career, yet no one has all this vitriol for his game. And, on another thread, Richardson was voted as being worst than Crawford. In my opinion, Richardson shouldn't even be starting.

Marbury is also an exceptional player, the most talented on the team, according to Gus Johnson, who I wish had been on a 1997 or 98 Knicks team. If he had been, today, he'd be a hero to knicks fans and respected around the league for having accomplished a lot. However, he played with a young, inexperienced Wolves team, a Nets team that was rebuilding and competing, unlike during the Kidd years, against one of the strongest eastern conferences of our time, and a Phoenix team that was also rebuilding. When he got to the Knicks, more or less, it was the SAME THING.

If you remember Sprewell (career 40 percent shooter) and Houston's backgrounds, both of those guys were in losing situations, until they came to a team where one of the greatest players of all time, Patrick Ewing, was dominating the boards, shooting over 50 percent, blocking shots and dropping over 20 effective points per game. If judged by their post Ewing play, we'd be calling them bums, instead of creating avatars out of their pictures.

The bottom line is that, especially as a smaller player, who can't do all the things that Curry, as center, can do to help a team win, things that Dalombert did yesterday, for example: block shots, dominate the boards, intimidate penetrators, set the overall tone, he can only do but so much, and he has, to help the team win. If I was Steph, I'd get on the phone with LA and discuss a contract. With Gasol (whom we had a chance to get, in exchange for Curry), Kobe and Steph, the Lakers would be even more deadly. On a halfway decent team, Steph would shine, and so would Crawford.

As for why Steph was benched, I think it has to do with his refusal to accept a buyout. They're punishing him for that, maybe trying to see if he'll be shaken up by this and just exit stage left. I think he should, as long as he can get a team to commit to giving him a spot on their roster.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Hating D'Antoni for this move is ridiculous. Hate Dolan for not buying him out. Walsh and D'Antoni want to move in a different direction. This year is an evaluation and dumping salary year. They've already said this. Mebury is not part of the future, so there is no use for him here. They should just buy him out and let him play somewhere else. This has Dolan written all over it. Only he would pull a messed up move like this. But don't act like Mebury is completely innocent in this. He's the one that pissed off his teammates and boss and now he's paying for it. Finally people are being held accountable for their actions.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
As a few people stated, when D'Antoni drafted Gallinari, and D'Antoni hired his brother as assistant, instead of Ewing, there's a lot of nepotism on this team, which goes hand in hand with all other forms of corruption. My issue is not with protecting Marbury, even though I think he's a good player. My issue is with underhanded, manipulative tactics being used, when it comes to his situation.

When Ewing was traded, for Vin Baker, because he asked for two years, instead of one, on his contract, before retiring, I saw the injustice in that and stopped watching the knicks, for several years, until all of the guys involved were gone. In addition to that move, the fact that Sprewell, Camby and Houston were going around saying that the Knicks were better without Ewing, with no one challenging that opinion, meant that I just couldn't support the team anymore. Right now, you have a lot of backstabbing, from guys like Q-Rich and Malik Rose, who suck but use their silver tongues to divert attention from their lack of skills. They can't play, but then people praise them for "leadership in the locker room."

With D'Antoni, when you draft your friend's son, instead of a real center, like Lopez, hire your brother, start a guy that sucks, instead of Chandler, just because he was with you in Phoenix, and then punish one of the few bright spots on your team, because you're going in a new direction, WITH THE SAME LINEUP, just with Duhon in the mix, I get a little suspicious. And, just like when we shat on Ewing, for bumass Camby, Duhon will soon be as big of a disappointment as Camby was.

D'Antoni hasn't proven he can do anything, without Steve Nash. The knicks have no go-to-guy, they've assembled a team of third rate players, who haven't proven themselves. Crawford is a good player, but he's not a leader, he's a guy that would excel next to Lebron or Kobe. If the knicks would have drafted Lopez, or had traded for Gasol, when there was a chance, we would have had the inside support, for Chandler, Crawford and Marbury, to, at the least, get into the playoffs.

Now, the nets have been smart, they unloaded Kidd, got some fresh, promising new talent and obtained a real big man, Lopez, who can block, score and rebound, which is why, mark my words, they will have a winning record, while we go 20-62. To me, the logo doesn't make the team, the players and coaches do, which is why I'm considering giving up on this group.

Last edited:

richtree

Rotation player
well, if we are going to the future and marbury isn't in these plans...

please explain how malik rose is ? ??

he is contradicting himself......

and I guess Zach Randolph is involved in the new look knicks as well...

basically Mikey D and management have said we are gonna play 8 guys and lose and get a top 5 pick

and hope in 2 years crawford grows muslces, duhon a jump shot, Dannio into Dirk, and find a 7 footer that can run somewhere in the streets of New York....

29 wins this year boys.....Mikey D got the Knicks going in the wrong direction for this season...

If he thought the "We Want Steph" chants were bad, wait til Philly, Boston, Detroit, Toronto, and the whole Western Conference start beating us down in the Garden...

Mikey D's grade so Far ...... C-

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Why Marbury is benched?
Because finally we got a coach and a gm who have the guts to turn this sinking ship around, reduce our payroll and build a team for the future. I don't care if this should be another losing season,as long as the moves and actions are reasonable - which they have been until now imho. If it hadn't been for IT and his stupid trades we already would've been two years further considering the rebuilding.
@Starburians -> get over it....pleeease

TunerAddict

Starter
well, if we are going to the future and marbury isn't in these plans...

please explain how malik rose is ? ??

he is contradicting himself......

and I guess Zach Randolph is involved in the new look knicks as well...

basically Mikey D and management have said we are gonna play 8 guys and lose and get a top 5 pick

and hope in 2 years crawford grows muslces, duhon a jump shot, Dannio into Dirk, and find a 7 footer that can run somewhere in the streets of New York....

29 wins this year boys.....Mikey D got the Knicks going in the wrong direction for this season...

If he thought the "We Want Steph" chants were bad, wait til Philly, Boston, Detroit, Toronto, and the whole Western Conference start beating us down in the Garden...

Mikey D's grade so Far ...... C-

Sometime you have to take a step backwards before you can take two steps forward....

Marbury is the one with the expiring contract...Is that the only reason he isn't playing? No. is it part his attitude before? Yes. Is it that they want the younger guys playing? Yes.

But if you actually listened, really actually heard what D said yesterday before the game, it is obvious. Marbury is a great player, however, he doesn't fit into this team and it is unfair for MIke to put him in for 4 minutes that won't mean anything. He wasn't going to be using him like his skill shows he shouold be used, thus, he isn't going to play him and disrespect his ability by using him for 4 minutes, he'll play a young guy instead.

Its so funny hearing people bitch about Dan Dantoni getting hired. Are you retarded? Honestly, it ****ing sounds like it. Coaches bring their asst coaches with them most of the time. Larry Brown brought his from Detroit....Coaches always do it, and it is smarter that they do. These asst. coaches know how things work...They know what THEY need to adress and stress in their times with the players from what they know is needed or neglected by the head coach, or simply not emphasized because it is their role in this system to be the ones emphasizing certain principles or going over certain strategies, or working on certain skills.

Cry all you want about Danilo, but he was the right pick for this system. A big man that can shoot and move with and without the ball (And we should all be crying about the only person on our team that actually TRYS to play defense. He makes everything out of the time he plays and always hustles and does his best. He has guarded almost every position so far...Guarded PG Shaun Livingston at the Miami game, guarded bigs last night in his short time). It is pretty pathetic people badmouthing him 2 games into the season when he has played like 10 minutes. He is making all these adjustments to his life, both lifestyle and with the game of basketball, and he is expected to be amazing 10 minutes into his career. Assholes man.....

Sometimes I just wonder if some of you actually think about the shit that you type up here because most of the time it doesn't seem like it...

Paul1355

All Star
A possibility

Guys has anyone thought of this possibility?

Marbury isn't seeing playing time probably because Donnie Walsh wants him to eventually buy out his contract.....I see that being a possibility.

OR that he wants Marbury to really step it up and try his best when he comes out and play...which he will if my first guess is wrong.

You can hate Mike D all you guys want but he is the main bright spot that is changing the attitude of this team whether you hate the guy or not.

Kiyaman

Legend
So who do you guys blame on the blow out last night 116-87?

Easy question, Donnie Walsh and Dantoni is the blame.
Last season we got nothing from both our centers Curry & Jerome James.
We needed a Defensive Bigman.
When you have a 6th pick in the draft you select a player that is NBA ready to challenge for the Rookie of the year (Brook Lopez).
You dont select a "Project Player" that have to go to the D-League for a year or two (Danilo Gallinari).
You dont select a Euro-player with the one to ten pick, ask Joe Dumars.

I mean Marbury didn't even play and we barely beat the Heat who only won like 15 games last season I believe.
Marbury did not play in the last 57 games last season. The Knicks let Crawful, Q.Rich, and Zach Randolph control the Knicks offense inwhich they only won 14 games out of 57 games and 3 of those wins can be given to Wilson Chandler last season.

I don't think Marbury is desperate to play right away cause he could wait until he either gets traded or gets his full pay. Either way, Marbury will get pay.

This offseason Marbury went out and got into the best shape his body will allow him to be in. When Donnie Walsh hired celebrity coach Dantoni whom pressured the Phoenix President to get rid of the Franchise Player Marbury they resigned to a Max deal the previous season when Dantoni got promoted from assistant coach to head coach.
As soon as Marbury got word that Walsh hired Dantoni, Marbury knew he would get a buyout this offseason. Isiah Thomas had plans on trading Marbury on draft night for the Annucha Trial.
Marbury got in top shape this offseason to play 82 games with the next team.... a NBA contender this season.

When Donnie Walsh refused to let the Clippers eat all of Zach Randolph $48 million contract.....Owner Dolan refuse to buy-out Marbury or any other player on the roster.
This made Donnie Walsh search for another team under the salary cap (Memphis) to see if they will eat up Zach Randolph contract for little in return. But the Dum-Dum G.M. for Memphis did not want to be dum on the Zach Randolph trade. So President Walsh is not allowed to make big money decisions on this Knick team unless its a trade of players (samething happen to Walsh in Indiana).

Marbury will get paid no matter what.

This is where "Walsh & Dantoni" used the wrong judgement (putting Marbury on inactive list).

Marbury is the best player on this roster to prepare the future players for Dantoni's system.
He showed this in everyone of the preseason games when he was'nt scoring he was helping teammates score by pushing the ball to show teammates how the "seven-second" offense work.
He shocked everyone b/c the best chemistry this preseason was when Marbury was in the lineup.

The Knicks need to buy-out Marbury already. Give him his money and let him walk to a contender like the Celtics, or the Lakers. I hope he goes to the Lakers. They need a point guard.

The Knicks need to take Marbury off of the inactive list and play him with the future players....and trade Crawful & Q.Richardson ASAP for anything.

The Lakers have the Best Player Coach Point Guard in the NBA on thier starting roster in Derrik Fisher (he is the best decision making PG in the league. Ask Baron Davis or Deron Williams performance.).
The Celtics have the 2nd best player coach PG in the league on their roster in old man Sam Cassel.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is why we were supposed to hire coach Mark Jackson, select Brook Lopez in the draft, keep Balkman, and trade Crawful, Q.Rich, and Zach Randolph this offseason.

With Coach Jackson our passing game and our defense would've been improving with each game this season. We would've still been a top 20 lottery team at the end of the season to keep our draft pick but we would've had 6 to 8 future chemistry players at the end of the season to select the best available player in the draft to keep if a scoring guard or PF, or trade to the next team for a player we need for the 2009-10 season to be a .500 team without a draft pick.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

pat

Starter
With Coach Jackson our passing game and our defense would've been improving with each game this season.
For f*%cks sake. He is a TV analyst with zero coaching experience. You seeing him as a better coach than Mike Dantoni is a clear example of what Baudrillard said: the simulation (aka the media) has become the reference and not what is by most people called reality. Normally it should be the other way around: reality as a reference for the media (which mediate this reality to the general population that cannot directly participate).

Kiya, just give the man a break. It is a question of establishing a winning culture and you can neither do that over night, nor by jumping on any trade that comes along. It's a "steady hand" policy and I can live with Crawford and Zach for some time if it helps us in the long run. To me it seems as if they have a long-term plan and obviously isn't part of it. The only reason Mebury should play is to showcase him and you don't need to do that: WYSIWYG.

richtree

Rotation player
Tuner wanted to dress up for Halloween.....how cute...

his costume was CAPTIAN OBVIOUS....

I just wrote a big response to his post.....

but my computer froze up and it was deleted....

His attacks are obviously signs of his character's weakness...

my reponse was mainly of the list the bad things Mikey D has done so far,

and his Bio and where were are going....

He has both good and bad qualities....but hasn't done anything yet...

Lucky to have a team full of stars in Phoenix....other than that he has done much...

I lll type it all again another day......

if anyone wants to IM me and talk bball . .AIM = TRERUCKUS

go knicks...

richtree