3 4.84%
  • Tyreke Evans

1 1.61%
  • Blake Griffin

10 16.13%
  • other

18 29.03%
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

nah Rubio aint 6'7 he's 6'3 his body is reminiscent of Jason Kidd, and his game is like Nash/Pete Maravic

Superstar

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    i dont expect us to get the 1 overall pick or even top 5 but; we will be in the top 10 and like the Bulls showed last year anything can happen; i say we take Monroe or DeRozan
    top 10 is not likely..but I think its still fair to predict they will be a 32-37 win team..and are just as good right now as Chicago, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Toronto, Philadelphia.

Worst case knicks 08-09 record..
    We can agree that guaranteed the 6 bottom teams in the west will still be worse than NY. Washington and Charlotte will be worse than the Knicks. So worst case scenario Knicks will pick 9th next year..yeah there is a 2% chance or whatever they win the lottery and get in top 3, but can't expect that.

NY, Indiana, Toronto, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, NJ probably fall in around that 30-40 win range picks 9-13 + 15-16 range.

Would you rather win 30 games, pick 9th/10th or win 37 pick 15th and watch some playoff games.

Its not like you won't get good value with the 15th pick..

Do you think Atlanta considers 07-08 season a disappointment? I would think they are more happier making the playoffs and picking a few picks back than missing and picking in the lottery again.

All I'm saying is right now knicks are in that pick #10-#13 range, but they definitely have the potential to be an 8 seed (pick 15) and I see that more positive than negative for present and future..

It would be nice to give Lee/Robinson/Chander/Gallinari some playoff experience for the future as well.

it would be great for them to get experience but us in the playoffs isnt likely although i would be perfectly happy making it and drafting Tyreke Evans

Originally Posted by dave2138
    top 10 is not likely..but I think its still fair to predict they will be a 32-37 win team..and are just as good right now as Chicago, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Toronto, Philadelphia.

Worst case knicks 08-09 record..
    We can agree that guaranteed the 6 bottom teams in the west will still be worse than NY. Washington and Charlotte will be worse than the Knicks. So worst case scenario Knicks will pick 9th next year..yeah there is a 2% chance or whatever they win the lottery and get in top 3, but can't expect that.

NY, Indiana, Toronto, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, NJ probably fall in around that 30-40 win range picks 9-13 + 15-16 range.

Would you rather win 30 games, pick 9th/10th or win 37 pick 15th and watch some playoff games.

Its not like you won't get good value with the 15th pick..

Do you think Atlanta considers 07-08 season a disappointment? I would think they are more happier making the playoffs and picking a few picks back than missing and picking in the lottery again.

All I'm saying is right now knicks are in that pick #10-#13 range, but they definitely have the potential to be an 8 seed (pick 15) and I see that more positive than negative for present and future..

It would be nice to give Lee/Robinson/Chander/Gallinari some playoff experience for the future as well.
    Getting into the playoffs and getting swept in 4 games by Boston or The Cavs would not get our players real playoff experience. Now I agree with you I would love to be rooting for a team come April, but, truth be told our team is not good enough to be a playoff team. We just fourtunate to be playing in a weak conference where 3 games under .500 would be good enough to get you in the playoffs. I think getting into the playoffs would be a bit misleading about where our team is ala Philly last season.

Now about the pick in the draft I think it is critical to get a lottery pick this year because we dont have a pick at all next year,because of Layden and Isiah's trades we've had consecutive losing seasons but never consecutive lottery picks, so this season is likely another losing season in terms of records so why not have the lottery pick to show for it? Like you said it is a major long shot that a team who barely misses the playoffs ends up with a top 3 pick, but there is a shot whereas making the playoffs gives us absolutley no shot at getting a top 3 pick. Plus imagine if we have the #9 pick or so Donnie could make moves to move us up in The Lottery a lot easier if he is swapping a lottery pick as opposed to a early first rounder.

I think this year just chasing the playoffs will be good enough, making the playoffs should be the expectation for next year and we can build from there.

Nyk Logo Doesn't UTAH get our first round pick?

Can someone please explain to me if Utah gets our first round pick this year or not (or maybe its in 2010). I thought we lost our pick in the Marbury trade (damn Isiah)

Originally Posted by viveiros82
    Can someone please explain to me if Utah gets our first round pick this year or not (or maybe its in 2010). I thought we lost our pick in the Marbury trade (damn Isiah)
    If we finish in the top 8 in the league this year, our 1st round pick goes to Utah. Otherwise, our 1st round pick goes to Utah in 2010. The reason it's Utah, is because Phoenix traded the pick that was a part of the Marbury trade, to Utah as a part of a seperate trade.

Originally Posted by JayJ44
    If we finish in the top 8 in the league this year, our 1st round pick goes to Utah. Otherwise, our 1st round pick goes to Utah in 2010. The reason it's Utah, is because Phoenix traded the pick that was a part of the Marbury trade, to Utah as a part of a seperate trade.
    I thought Utah has the option of taking our pick this year, but is unconditional next year thus making it more likely they take that pick

Superstar

Originally Posted by New New York
    Getting into the playoffs and getting swept in 4 games by Boston or The Cavs would not get our players real playoff experience. Now I agree with you I would love to be rooting for a team come April, but, truth be told our team is not good enough to be a playoff team. We just fourtunate to be playing in a weak conference where 3 games under .500 would be good enough to get you in the playoffs. I think getting into the playoffs would be a bit misleading about where our team is ala Philly last season.

Now about the pick in the draft I think it is critical to get a lottery pick this year because we dont have a pick at all next year,because of Layden and Isiah's trades we've had consecutive losing seasons but never consecutive lottery picks, so this season is likely another losing season in terms of records so why not have the lottery pick to show for it? Like you said it is a major long shot that a team who barely misses the playoffs ends up with a top 3 pick, but there is a shot whereas making the playoffs gives us absolutley no shot at getting a top 3 pick. Plus imagine if we have the #9 pick or so Donnie could make moves to move us up in The Lottery a lot easier if he is swapping a lottery pick as opposed to a early first rounder.

I think this year just chasing the playoffs will be good enough, making the playoffs should be the expectation for next year and we can build from there.
    The knicks have as good a shot at having a top 3 or even top 8 pick as they do beating the Celtics/Cavs in a best of 7 series in my opinion.

Playoff experience is playoff experience. You can't make making the playoffs a negative experience. Its an accomplishment..and I would sacrifice moving 5 spots down in the draft if it meant having improved the team from last season.

We all think this team will be completely different come 2010..but odds are the young core is kept with Lee, Robinson, Chandler, Gallinari with an addition of 1 or 2 15-20 mil players. Anything these guys can accomplish right now only will help them in the future..Can't really argue that.

The team may not be good enough to be a playoff team, but neither is any of the teams in the east after the top 6. Each team has its problems, but I don't think we should root for the knicks to be the worst of the group. As of now I see the Knicks to have an equal chance to have any pick from 9-13, 15-16..and I'd be more happy with the 16th than the 9th in my opinion.

Originally Posted by New New York
    I thought Utah has the option of taking our pick this year, but is unconditional next year thus making it more likely they take that pick
    I think this year it's top 22 protected, so if we get the 22nd pick or higher they get this year's pick whether they like it or not. But if we don't, they'll get the 2010 pick no matter the position.

^yup and thats good news because next years draft class is wack.....

and i would rather draft early this year then get swept cause chances are the games won't be close, we won't pull off a hawks kind of suprise were not as complete as the Hawks were last year, getting swept isn't that good of experience draft this year and come back next year stronger and we'll be ready to compete then

Superstar

You never know though anything can happen in the playoffs...granted the best team wins 95% of the time, if the knicks were to make it, they will have to have some momentum the 2nd half of the season to be the best of the 6 or so -.500 teams. I'm just saying now there even with this slump..theres still 50 games left, the knicks have just as good a chance making the playoffs as an 8 seed as they do finishing 9th or 10th from the bottom. They also have just as good a chance of beating Boston or Cleveland in the 1st round as they do drafting Rubio or Thabeet or Monroe..or any other player projected to go within the first 5 or so picks.

By the way I know too early to tell, but how much difference in value can you expect in picks 15-16 as opposed to 9-10?

there isnt that much difference but the prosects are better but its all about who u draft, not just for need but based on upside and level of potential, so we could get good value if we draft Tyreke Evans who is very talented and could be Joe Johnson of sorts, or we could take a guy i really like (no homo) in Ty Lawson so theres lots of players out there; they could all be good players

Default New Draft Analysis for Knicks

There's a post by Jon over at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] talking about some of the elite prospects in this year's draft and how they'd fit in on the Knicks:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - As we’re all painfully aware, the Knicks are in dire need of some size. Monroe is tall. But there’s more. He’s also very skilled. In Georgetown’s Princeton offense, Monroe gets the ball at the elbow where he shows the ability to make great passes to dive cutters or open shooters,face up and take it to the hole, or take the elbow jumper...

Link here for more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

i agree DanL we hould make drafting Monroe a priority we need size and he brings that and so much more, alot of upside, he could run the floor, good for our system, plays defense, and shoot a short J why not draft him it makes the most sense for us....hope he falls to us or we could trade up and grab him

What about Stephon Curry if he's available? Dick Vitale just said he'll be a superstar in the NBA. Although, we desperately need a center.