I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Who Should We Draft?

• Brandon Jennings

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Demar DeRozan

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Blake Griffin

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

dave2138

Rotation player
ok fine you win..whatever makes you sleep at night...can we go back to talking about possible draft selections not named Griffin/Rubio/Harden/Thabeet?

The more I think about it, even though there are other players with higher upside..the Knicks eventually have to invest in a young center. BJ Mullens who in a few years may be one of the top 5 players in this draft is the one I'm looking at from pick 9-15.

Prince mentioned earlier that there should be talented big men in the 2nd round..we'll see, but I'd be surprised if the plan is to draft their future center in the middle of the 2nd round. Jerome Jordan is a good one, but I think he moved up to late 1st round in a lot of projections I see.

- NBA Draftexpress has Greg Monroe slipping to #10 at the moment..any reason for this? I thought he would be lock for top 5 if he enters after his freshman year.

We'll see, I hope this month we see a lot more debating going on about which players they want the Knicks to select.

thabeet is an enigma to me.the guy looks like he's improving quickly then he gets sonned.all i hope is donnie cops some pics man.considering this economy i think that could be very possible.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Hey, i dont watch much college hoops, but where is Jonny Flynn projected to go? I see some Cuse recaps and scores and damn, hes flat out beasting it.

JayJ44

Starter
Hey, i dont watch much college hoops, but where is Jonny Flynn projected to go? I see some Cuse recaps and scores and damn, hes flat out beasting it.

I just looked at a couple sites, and none of them have him going in the lottery. 2 of them had him go to the Cavs at 28th.

TunerAddict

Starter
We should buy a second rounder and draft Nick Calathes...Guy is one of the top passing PGs in the NCAA and is 6'5" which allows him to see over his competition.

Definitely a gamble worth making.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Tyreke Evans is going to be a beast, i would want him if we make the playoffs if not i want Monroe or Curry.

JayJ44

Starter
Stephon Curry

I did get the opportunity to see Stephen Curry play last night in Davidson’s 7-point loss to the College of Charleston in the Southern Conference semifinals last night. Davidson ended their season with a 26-7 record and an 18-2 conference record but with all of the parity in the major conferences, I’m not sure if it is enough to get them an at-large bid into the tourney.
Aside though, on a whole, I was not impressed with Curry, and don’t see how his skill set will translate in the NBA. The guy can shoot, no question, everyone knows that. But, he had a very tough time getting separation from his defenders and Bobby Cremins and Charleston did a very good job of throwing fresh bodies at him all game long. Curry had his shot blocked 5 times in the game, 3 of which were on jump shots where weak-side help defenders knew that he was going to pull up.
At his size, he does not have the speed or strength to beat his man off the dribble and he seemed to go to the same move every time, two hard dribbles to the left to a fade-away jumper and he did not gain more than 2 feet of separation on any of these fadeaway jumpers. Curry ended the game with 20 points on 5-18 from the field and 2-11 from 3-point range.
Aside from his obvious ability to knock down the open shot, his two main strengths to me are his court vision and his defensive awareness. He saw a lot of cutters and open space before the play developed, which gave Davidson some open baskets, and this is a skill that cannot be taught. On defense, he is always talking and never out of position, he works very hard at keeping his man in front of him and boxes out jump shooters which you almost never see at the pro level.
I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in that it was his 3rd straight 40-minute game in a span of 3 days. But, on a whole, his lack of size and quickness outweigh his strengths to me. I know there is a great disparity in height, but he reminds me a great deal of Adam Morrison, in that he had a great college career and was able to make tough shots with defenders right on him, but it won’t translate into success at the NBA level.
I’ve heard that D’Antoni is a huge fan of his, and don’t get me wrong, in our system he may be able to just stand outside the 3-point line or run off screens to get open. But, I don’t think the Knicks can afford to use a first-round pick on a one-dimensional player.
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/03/09/a-look-at-the-draft/

I don't want us drafting another Adam Morrison or JJ Redick. Besides, his last name is Curry, that's gotta be a sign. :lol:

Blas

Benchwarmer
3 picks to look at...

There are three guys I think we should look at:

1st: Monroe, if we can get him, we need to draft him. This kid will be huge with so much raw potential. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle (he is still young, so it is possible) and work hard as hell he will be one of the best centers in the NBA.
2nd: Ty Lawson, it looks like this season a light bulb lit up in his head and figured out how to play point. Guy is a great pass first guard. He also has improved his shot selection. The worst that can come of this guy is he can turn into a Duhon type guard and be serviceable but not great player.
3rd: Tyler Hansbrough, another NC guy and believe me it pains me to list them since I am a Terp. This guy is a different version of David Lee. He hustles, works hard, doesn't rebound as well, plays slightly better D (yet to bee seen in the NBA of course), and has a jump shot. If we cannot resign Lee I think we could draft him to take his place.

On Thabeet, the guy is overrated. He can be easily exploited, he will not be an "enforcer" in the NBA, and he plays for Uconn. Big men from Uconn are usually not good except for Emeke. If we can get him late, then I say take a chance, but I think it would be a bad move to trade up for him. The guy is also a little delusional, in an interview he claimed he will be better then the dream. More power to him if we draft and he does.

TunerAddict

Starter
There are three guys I think we should look at:

1st: Monroe, if we can get him, we need to draft him. This kid will be huge with so much raw potential. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle (he is still young, so it is possible) and work hard as hell he will be one of the best centers in the NBA.
2nd: Ty Lawson, it looks like this season a light bulb lit up in his head and figured out how to play point. Guy is a great pass first guard. He also has improved his shot selection. The worst that can come of this guy is he can turn into a Duhon type guard and be serviceable but not great player.
3rd: Tyler Hansbrough, another NC guy and believe me it pains me to list them since I am a Terp. This guy is a different version of David Lee. He hustles, works hard, doesn't rebound as well, plays slightly better D (yet to bee seen in the NBA of course), and has a jump shot. If we cannot resign Lee I think we could draft him to take his place.

On Thabeet, the guy is overrated. He can be easily exploited, he will not be an "enforcer" in the NBA, and he plays for Uconn. Big men from Uconn are usually not good except for Emeke. If we can get him late, then I say take a chance, but I think it would be a bad move to trade up for him. The guy is also a little delusional, in an interview he claimed he will be better then the dream. More power to him if we draft and he does.

Tyler Hansbrough will be a TERRIBLE pro.

All he has is his strength, and in the NBA, he is going to be the weaker one for once.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
depending on where we pick i want Jonny Flynn, i'd rather get him then B.J Mullens...and we could get a good C in the 2nd round.

when i watched Flynn last night after his 34 point outburst.

i saw alot of Deron Williams in Flynn

Jonnny Flynn = Deron Williams.

we could get a defensive minded C in the 2nd round. unless Monroe is available.

TunerAddict

Starter
depending on where we pick i want Jonny Flynn, i'd rather get him then B.J Mullens...and we could get a good C in the 2nd round.

when i watched Flynn last night after his 34 point outburst.

i saw alot of Deron Williams in Flynn

Jonnny Flynn = Deron Williams.

we could get a defensive minded C in the 2nd round. unless Monroe is available.

Sorry, but Flynn isn't even on the same planet at Deron Williams...

Deron Williams is a more complete player than Chris Paul...

metrocard

Legend
Johnny Flynn gets to the basket at will and has a very strong body.

He's projected at 28 now, but will probably be around 12-18

Best Case: Earl Watson
Worst Case: Omar Cook

Thats from draftexpress.

You could normally trust them, they're legit.

I guess Flynn has to do a little more to change that EarlWatson Best case lameness.

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.p...&pos=PG&stage=all&min=20&conference=0&sort=25

Flynn isn't that bad for turnovers for a guy who takes a lot of risky and dangerous drives.

He definately has the ability and potential to improve his skills...

Its a toss up between Johnny and TY LAWSON who's the next TJ Ford with 3pt range...dude is sick.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
well when i said i see alot of Williams in Flynn i wasn't comparing the games now, i was referring to Williams when he was in college. if Flynn works hard at his game he could reach that level one day

best PG's in the draft ( not in order )

Rubio

Jennings

Curry

Lawson

Warren

Flynn

alot of options if we really wanna go with a PG, but i wanna wait to see which C prospects will be around for our pick.

TunerAddict

Starter
:td::no:No way. CP3 is on a different level from any PG in the game today.

Derron Williams is on a better team, so he doesn't have to do as much.

Chris Paul has a heavier workload.

Therefore, Chris Paul gets better stats because he has to shoot more and has more time with the ball in his hands.

Yet Derron owns Chris everytime they play...

I'm going to say Derron is better.

You can believe what you want, but I think Derron is the more complete player.