I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Who Should We Draft?

• Brandon Jennings

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Demar DeRozan

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Blake Griffin

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Since we don't have a second round pick, is getting a big man (with our first) more important than getting a play-making guard? Potential for some of these guards are good but we do have to fill that center spot with a good prospect at center.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Derron Williams is on a better team, so he doesn't have to do as much.

Chris Paul has a heavier workload.

Therefore, Chris Paul gets better stats because he has to shoot more and has more time with the ball in his hands.

Yet Derron owns Chris everytime they play...

I'm going to say Derron is better.

You can believe what you want, but I think Derron is the more complete player.

Check the stats buddy. U are:smokin::weed::drink:! :update:Not only do the hornets win even though Derron's team is better, but CP3's stats are always better.

P.S. gotta love the smileys:D

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
one dude that i think will be a great NBA player and isn't getting much recognition is Eric Maynor of VCU.....dude is straight up nasty with the basketball and has good basketball IQ which is important to a PG....he's listed as a mid-to-late first rounder

so my dream would be we draft Monrow with our pick and trade our second rounder and try and move up then draft Maynor

so next season we'll look like this

Maynor

Hughes

Chandler

Lee

Monroe

richtree

Rotation player
Flynn will never be good at the next level

he has limited size and strenght

he is a SG in a PG frame...

He would play like Barbosa at the next level (game type)

but since he is small, he probably won't get time

he is 6ft even and doesn't have the athelticism or ball handle/distrib. abilities

so his nba career is 1 year long and goodbye

JayJ44

Starter
Top Of The Class: The Sweet Sixteen will get underway on Thursday, and there have been some stellar performances so far in the first two rounds. For the dozens of NBA scouts and executives that have been looking at players this past week, there are a few players that have clearly risen to the top, and should have a pretty full dance card once individual workouts get under way in early May. Here are the guys to watch in the next round:

Blake Griffin ? 6'10 - Oklahoma: Griffin has been tabbed as the top collegiate player since the opening of the season, and he did very little to hurt his stock in the opening two games. Griffin dropped 28 points and 13 rebounds versus Morgan State and had 33 points and 17 rebounds against Michigan. The impressive part about Griffin has been how effective he's been, hitting 78% of his shots in tournament play ? 78% from the field on his shot attempts is really impressive. At the next level he's going to be a bit undersized as he's listed at 6'10 which is generous, he's likely a lot closer to 6'8-6'9. One team executive whose team could land the top pick said recently without a question they'd take Griffin if they land the number one overall pick, saying he's the one can't miss player in this class.

DeMar DeRozan ? 6'7 - USC: DeMar had struggled a lot this season adjusting to the college game which had a lot of scouts down on him in the rankings coming into the tournament. He's averaged roughly 19 points a game in March, and did not disappoint in Tournament play. DeRozan had 18 points and 9 rebounds Friday versus Boston College, and then kicked in 18 points and 5 rebounds against Michigan State. DeRozan could be a huge upside guy in the draft, but his proven inability to adjust may have him struggling early in his NBA career. There is little doubt he's NBA ready, but like some of the bubble guys coming into last year's draft class (Eric Gordon, D.J. Augustin, Jerryd Bayless) ? DeMar could be a star in the making in the middle of the top 10 picks.

Wayne Ellington ? 6'5 - UNC: Wayne was not very impressive last year in the NBA's Pre-Draft Camp, which has been done away with this year. But so far in the tournament he's answered a lot of his critics. Wayne has seen a lot of open looks this season because of the attention Tyler Hansbrough and Ty Lawson have commanded all season, but with Lawson limited early in the tournament Ellington has really answered the call, not only hitting big shots from three-point range, but getting his man in the air with pump fakes and taking the ball to the basket, something he was not able to do effectively last year. He's averaging 24 points per game in the tournament and shooting better than 50 percent from the three-point line on 11 attempts. Ellington is not lottery material by any leap, but if he keeps playing the way he is playing, he could convince a team in the bottom ten picks of the first round that he could play effectively at this level, something he couldn't have done this time last year.

Terrence Williams ? 6'6 - Louisville: We have had Terrance on our Top 100 for most of the year, typically in the mid-twenties, mainly because of his inconsistent play. So far in the tournament he's answered the call, and is a key reason Louisville should be a favorite for the Final Four, even the Championship game. Williams had 13 points, 9 rebounds and three assists versus Morehead State and versus Siena, kicked in 24 points, 13 rebounds and four assists. If Williams continues this kind of play his dance card is gonna fill up fast. It's unlikely he erases a season's worth of questions, but GMs and scouts do base individual workouts on what they have seen last, and a strong showing in the 16 and the Elite 8 could do wonders for Terrance's stock.

Most NBA teams have a top players list already and the tournament typically is one part of the equation. What a player did collegiately last season weighs in more than tournament play, and a lot of these guys have been scouted since middle school. The tournament usually gives GMs and executives a chance to see how guys play under pressure, and every year there is someone who had a strong tournament that goes higher than expected ? Russell Westbrook last year, Mike Conley the year before. So there is a reason to look at the tournament as having an impact on the draft, it just rarely has a major impact.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12034

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
thanks Jay for the update, you gave me a break loll...........i will get to an update soon once i free up some time.

i want a C in the first round and Ellington in the second, but his good play could bum him to the first round. i think e could be a good Butler type player in the NBA. Williams has been great if he keeps this up he could move up possibly to the lottery.

Monroe's stock is dropping so hopefully we can land him at around the 8 pick.

jpz17

Starter
fricken Ty Lawsom would settle our PG problem hes NBA ready I think. We don't really need a C because in 2010 we won't get LeBron or Wade, we will get Bosh...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
fricken Ty Lawsom would settle our PG problem hes NBA ready I think. We don't really need a C because in 2010 we won't get LeBron or Wade, we will get Bosh...

Lawson might fall to the second round i honestly see him as an elite PG prospect he has what it takes to succeed in the NBA. and lots of mocks have him falling to the second round that would be a great pickup

Lawson>>>>>>>>> Duhon

jpz17

Starter
Lawson might fall to the second round i honestly see him as an elite PG prospect he has what it takes to succeed in the NBA. and lots of mocks have him falling to the second round that would be a great pickup

Lawson>>>>>>>>> Duhon

Lets trade for like a 25 pick and get him there. Or heck just trade for him lol

Bosh
Lee
Chandler
Nate
Lawson

Very D'Antoni like... Young, and not bad. All good team ball there, I see that wining 45-50

JayJ44

Starter
No problem Prince. I'm excited about this years draft. As you said, Monroe's stock is slipping, which is all the better for us. I also like the possibilites of Derozan. Jennings looks like he'll be available for us, might be a guy worth looking into. I also think we'll be able to find someone in the 2nd round who can contribute. Like Miami did with Chalmers last year.

TunerAddict

Starter
I saw the Brandon Jennings interview on Bryant Gumbel today and that kid is our pick. He is mature and has a good head on his shoulders. His stock is slipping because of his numbers, but he will be a good player. Deffinetly a guy we should pick up.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, I agree Tuner. I like the potential he has. His stats are down because he had to adjust to euroleague. Here's some info on him for those who don't know:
Brandon Jennings:
brandonjennings.jpg

Physicals:
H: 6' 1"
W: 170 lbs
Bday: 09/23/1989
(19 Years Old)

<TABLE class=bluelist width=175 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TH itxtvisited="1">STRENGTHS:</TH></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Excellent skill-level</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Mix between scoring/passing</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Offensive creativity</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- True point guard</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to create own shot</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to create w/either hand</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ball-handling skills</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Change of gears/Hesitation moves</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to get in passing lanes</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Lateral quickness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Confidence</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Potential</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Strong Intangibles</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Work ethic</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Basketball instincts</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Left-handed</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to create for others</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Court vision</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Passing skills</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Athleticism</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Excellent first step</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Explosiveness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Shooting mechanics</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TH itxtvisited="1">WEAKNESSES:</TH></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Decision making</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Dominant ball-handler</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Efficiency</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Out of control at times</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Shot-selection</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to fight through screens</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Activity level</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Commitment to playing defense</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Man to man defense</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Academic issues?</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Leadership skills</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Not ready to contribute immediately</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Not productive enough</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Average size</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Upper body strength</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Poor rebounder</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- 3-point shooting percentages</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to catch and shoot</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Low shooting percentages</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dave2138

Rotation player
From the looks of the latest mock drafts, Greg Monroe should slip to around the #8 -#12 area. He would be the perfect pick in my opinion, because his only problem is inexperience. For a team that probably won't be any more competitive next season than it was this season, he will have a year to develop pressure free.

The same idea goes for Derozan..If Monroe goes before the Knicks pick, I hope they pick Derozan even if more nba ready players like Curry is available. He started to turn it around towards the end of the year, and is another player that will drop to #10-15 in the draft based soley on the chance he won't make an impact as a rookie.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
From the looks of the latest mock drafts, Greg Monroe should slip to around the #8 -#12 area. He would be the perfect pick in my opinion, because his only problem is inexperience. For a team that probably won't be any more competitive next season than it was this season, he will have a year to develop pressure free.

I like Monroe. 6'11", good passer, good shooter and is a decent shot-blocker. He could be a very good fit at Center in D'Antoni's system.

What bothers me about Monroe is it seems like he takes plays off and is unmotivated. Very talented, but could be lazy. That's why he's dropped in draft position. We've had too many lazy Centers in the last few years, so he worries me. But if he falls to us (9th pick?) I still think we should take him.

JayJ44

Starter
Greg Monroe:
gregmonroe.jpg

H: 6' 11"
W: 240 lbs
Bday: 06/04/1990
(18 Years Old)
<TABLE class=bluelist width=175 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TH itxtvisited="1">STRENGTHS:</TH></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to get to free throw line</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Craftiness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Decision making</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Excellent skill-level</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Executes offensively</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Mismatch Potential</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Pick and roll play</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Versatility</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to create own shot</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to face the basket</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Excellent hands</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Excellent Touch</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Finesse</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Left hand</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Turnaround jumper</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to get in passing lanes</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Defensive awareness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Shot-blocking skills</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Basketball IQ</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Coachable</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Role-player potential</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Unselfishness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Basketball instincts</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Left-handed</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Young for class</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Court vision</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Coordination</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Fluidity</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Mobility</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Solid frame</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- 3-point range</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to catch and shoot</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TH itxtvisited="1">WEAKNESSES:</TH></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Go-to scoring mentality</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Turnover prone</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ball-handling skills w/either hand</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Back to basket scoring</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Activity level</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Defensive Post Presence</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Man to man defense</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Aggressiveness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Assertiveness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Avoids contact</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Consistency</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Doesn't always play hard</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Leadership skills</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Mental/Physical toughness?</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- College system makes him difficult to evaluate</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- High-level productivity</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to finish w/either hand</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Average athleticism</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Defensive rebounding</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to shoot off the dribble</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think he would be an excellent fit in this system. He's a good shooter, high b-ball IQ, and he would be the shotblocker we've needed.

JayJ44

Starter
Overrated and Underrated

It?s time to focus on the draft full time now because this team shows no signs of making a playoff push. Tonight, alone is a college basketball fans dream, and most Knick fans have found themselves being college fans over the last 6 years (scouting for us usually begins in February, a little later this year.) This draft is unusually thin, and that?s including players who might come back. Stephen Curry is only a junior, and after his team missed the tourney and busted in the NIT, he might want to come and back and solidify his legacy. After all, he?ll average 30 a game in that conference. Jeff Teague and Al-Farouq Aminu could very well come back after their Wake Forest Demon Deacons got upset by Cleveland State in the first round. Jonny Flynn could return to Syracuse, and if Willie Warren wants to run the show at Oklahoma next season without Blake Griffin he too could come back and compete for a title under Jeff Capel. All in all, this draft sucks, but there are some hidden gems in this draft and some players who I think are grossly overrated.
Overrated
Hasheem Thabeet (UCONN)- I don?t see Hasheem Thabeet having any impact on the next level. Dude has absolutely no offensive game, and his teammates only got him 2 shots in Uconn?s last win over Texas A&M. Sure, he blocks shots and rebounds, but so did Mike Sweetney. That doesn?t automatically equate to success in the pros. Thabeet is a poor man?s Emeka Okafor, and in some people?s eyes (me) he?s a bust in some ways. Considering he was the 2nd overall pick and he?s yet to develop an offensive game (his career high is 15.1,) he clearly hasn?t had a major impact in the NBA. Emeka averaged 4 more points in his final year at Connecticut. Considering that Thabeet struggled mightily against Greg Monroe and Dejuan Blair, it leads me to believe that he will struggle to score on offensive big man. And shot blocking and rebounding don?t merit a top 5 pick.
Stephen Curry (Davidson) - I actually like Curry, and I think he?ll be a Knick, but there are some problems I see with him. First, I think he has a game similar to Kevin Martin. But as Chris said, Martin is 6-7 and therefore has the ability to get some tough shots off. Martin?s a shooting guard, but will Curry be able to play the 2 in the NBA? Secondly, Curry plays against terrible competition, and I can see him being a sub 40% shooter in the NBA. He?s 6′3 and 185. When he?s played top schools, he hasn?t had much of an impact at all. Against WVU, he shots 9-27. Against Oklahoma he shot 12-29. Against Butler he shot 6-23. He could be an impact scorer, or he could be just like Adam Morrison or JJ Redick. Great college players who?s games don?t transfer to the big leagues.
James Harden (Arizona State) - Harden doesn?t have the strength or athleticism to have an impact in the NBA. He looked terrible in the NCAA tournament, shooting a combined 3-18 with 19 points in two games. It looks like he?ll be a top 4 pick, but he?s hurt his stock over the past few weeks.
Underrated
Terrence Williams(Louisville) - I love T-Will. 6-6, 220 pounds of muscle; He?s a man. His jump shot has really improved this year, and he?s a great finisher. He does practically everything for Louisville. 13 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 38% from downtown. He defends (2.4 spg) and his offensive game is improving. I think he can be a lot like Gerald Wallace.
Cole Aldrich (Kansas) - Aldrich is the guy the Knicks should be heavily scouting. A 20 year old 6′11 center averaging 15 points on 60% shooting, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks. He registered the 6th triple double in NCAA tournament history, with 14 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 blocks against Dayton. In my opinion, he?s a better prospect than Thabeet. He?s a great prospect with a potentially lethal offensive game, and he?ll be there when the Knicks pick.
Honorable Mentions: Sherron Collins, Craig Brackins
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/03/26/overrated-and-underrated-in-2009-draft/