I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Who Should We Draft?

• Brandon Jennings

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Demar DeRozan

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Blake Griffin

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

dave2138

Rotation player
datprince, I know I asked you before about Chase Budinger and you didn't sound all that impressed; I was wondering if your opinion has changed at all as of late. I have been trying to gain some knowledge on him by going to various sites and I see more positive than negative. The positive being his athleticism, 3 point shooting, size, fundamentals and negatives being that he will never be the "go to guy", average-below average defense,doesn't have much lateral quickness.

However, I think he fits in well with this team as he has great role player potential. Which is something I would be aiming for too on this team thinking of the future, knowing of the liklihood of a "star" player in 2010. I think if there are no centers worthy of the #8/#9 pick, then personally, I wouldn't mind Budinger in the discussion with all the other sg possibilities.

ANU

Starter
Some NBA executives think lottery teams, including the Knicks....

will look to trade down or deal for a 2010 selection if their "need" guy is not there due to the lack of overall quality beyond Blake Griffin. The Knicks' 2010 first round pick will go to the Jazz as the final compensation for the Stephon Marbury trade.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...ttery_teams_will_trade_down_or_out_of_draft/#

in the link to the link, homer simpson i mean, marc berman speaks to a couple of scouts that believe after blake, its a toss up with who goes where.that's pretty much how i see it.i could easily see harden or derozan falling to us,where ever we may end up.

personally i think this offseason is probably our most important ever, and its going to take some genius moves by donnie.i want playoffs next year, and i don't want to give utah a fricking lotto pick. hopefully we get some young players in our positions of need.i wouldn't mind mullens if one our guard positions are settled.

he could be the kinda guy D'ant could develope with gallo wil, and that lotto pick.this is the draft that could make or break this team for another decade.

wouldn't it be amazing if we got the first pick though......:peace:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
datprince, I know I asked you before about Chase Budinger and you didn't sound all that impressed; I was wondering if your opinion has changed at all as of late. I have been trying to gain some knowledge on him by going to various sites and I see more positive than negative. The positive being his athleticism, 3 point shooting, size, fundamentals and negatives being that he will never be the "go to guy", average-below average defense,doesn't have much lateral quickness.

However, I think he fits in well with this team as he has great role player potential. Which is something I would be aiming for too on this team thinking of the future, knowing of the liklihood of a "star" player in 2010. I think if there are no centers worthy of the #8/#9 pick, then personally, I wouldn't mind Budinger in the discussion with all the other sg possibilities.

im still not all that impressed by Budinger, he hasn't showen anything to stand out and it also hurts that he's a SF( where were stacked) i feel he'll be nothing more then a role player in NBA whether as a starter or bench player. and that this point we need a player who has superstar potential cause that's what we lack. Although Budinger will have a career in this league but nothing special.

ANU

Starter
CHAD FORD HAS US AT 8 STILL TAKING CURRY.WTF?

I'm thinking the draft goes like this

kings-griffin
(this is obvious)

wizards-monroe
(besides griffin and rubio, he has the most upside)

clippers-harden
(he's from cali, and they've got baron and taylor at the 1,
so i don't see them taking rubio,even though its the kinda shit they'd do.
they also have gordon, but its the kinda shit they do.
then again their owner wants chris paul in "hollywood")

thunder-rubio
(i think they trade him to the knicks for our pick and some cash)

grizzlies-davis
(i think they'd take a shot on an unknown skyrocketing up the draft boards)

twolves-aldrich
(i doubt they pas up on the hometown kid, their frontline would be scary)

warriors-jennings
(he's made for nellie ball, and from the state)

knicks-thabeet
(and trade him to the thunder with cash)

I'd wouldn't mind rubio, but i'd like flynn AND harden or derozan more.

metrocard

Legend
If Rubio declares...we must do everything in our power to obtain him...everything, trade 10 future first round picks...I don't care.

If Rubio doesn't, we should just go Portland style and start buying draft picks...we need to collect as many prospects as possile, to increase our team value.

dave2138

Rotation player
will look to trade down or deal for a 2010 selection if their "need" guy is not there due to the lack of overall quality beyond Blake Griffin. The Knicks' 2010 first round pick will go to the Jazz as the final compensation for the Stephon Marbury trade.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...ttery_teams_will_trade_down_or_out_of_draft/#

in the link to the link, homer simpson i mean, marc berman speaks to a couple of scouts that believe after blake, its a toss up with who goes where.that's pretty much how i see it.i could easily see harden or derozan falling to us,where ever we may end up.

personally i think this offseason is probably our most important ever, and its going to take some genius moves by donnie.i want playoffs next year, and i don't want to give utah a fricking lotto pick. hopefully we get some young players in our positions of need.i wouldn't mind mullens if one our guard positions are settled.

he could be the kinda guy D'ant could develope with gallo wil, and that lotto pick.this is the draft that could make or break this team for another decade.

wouldn't it be amazing if we got the first pick though......:peace:

I keep thinking how a trade on draft day with Minnesota might be a good idea. Like that article says, if the knicks don't see anybody they like with their #8 pick, maybe they move down in the draft to get multiple picks. I like the possibility at getting from Minnesota, the #18, #28 and the Utah pick they have that is top 22 protected this year, unprotected next year.

This may not be the right draft to have numerous 1st round picks, but whatever this team could use as much young talent as they can possibly get.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Lawson is going to be a superstar in the NBA, dude is a flat out beast he can run right by you or he can take it to you, his passing is under-rated and he has good IQ, and his jumpshot is much improved. i wouldn't mind drafting him at all. plus it doesn't hurt that he's NBA ready, even if he wasn't he's an upgrade over Duhon

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I found this mock draft on nbadraftguru.blogspot.com/

1. Sacramento - Blake Griffin (6'9'', PF, Oklahoma, Soph.)
2. Washington - Ricky Rubio (6?4??, PG, Spain)
3. LA Clippers - Hasheem Thabeet (7?3??, C, UConn, Jr.)
4. Memphis - Jordan Hill (6?10??, PF, Arizona, Jr.)
5. Minnesota - Earl Clark (6'8'', SF, Louisville, Jr.)
6. Oklahoma City - James Harden (6'5'', SG, Arizona State, Soph.)
7. Golden State - Brandon Jennings (6'1'', PG, Europe)
8. Toronto - Gerald Henderson (6'5'', SG, Duke, Jr.)
9. New York - Cole Aldrich (6'11'', C, Kansas, Soph.)
10. Indiana - BJ Mullens (7'0'', C, Ohio State, Fresh.)
11. New Jersey - Demar DeRozan (6'6'', SG, USC, Fresh.)
12. Milwaukee - Al-Farouq Aminu (6?9??, SF, Wake Forest, Fresh.)
13. Charlotte - Tyreke Evans (6'5'', SG, Memphis, Fresh.)
14. Phoenix - Eric Maynor (6'3'', PG, VCU, Sr.)
15. Chicago - Chase Budinger (6?7?, SG, Arizona, Jr.)
16. Detroit - Craig Brackins (6?10??, PF, Iowa State, Soph.)
17. Philadelphia - Ty Lawson (5?11??, PG, North Carolina, Jr.)
18. Minnesota - Stephen Curry (6?3??, SG, Davidson, Jr.)
19. Atlanta - Jonny Flynn (6?0??, PG, Syracuse, Soph.)
20. Dallas - Terrence Williams (6'5'', SG, Louisville, Sr.)
21. Utah - James Johnson (6?8??, SF, Wake Forest, Soph.)
22. Portland - Omri Casspi (6?8??, SF, Israel)
23. New Orleans - Wayne Ellington (6'5'', SG, North Carolina, Jr.)
24. Chicago - DeJuan Blair (6?7??, PF, Pittsburgh, Soph.)
25. Oklahoma City - Darren Collison (6?1??, PG, UCLA, Sr.)
26. Sacramento - Jeff Teague (6?1??, PG, Wake Forest, Soph.)
27. Memphis - Sam Young (6'6'', SF, Pittsburgh, Sr.)
28. Minnesota - Andrew Ogilvy (7'0'', C, Vanderbilt, Soph.)
29. LA Lakers - Damion James (6'8'', SF, Texas, Jr.)
30. Cleveland - DaJuan Summers (6?8??, SF, Georgetown, Jr.)

31. Sacramento - Jerome Jordan (7?1??, C, Tulsa, Jr.)
32. Washington - Tyler Hansbrough (6?8??, PF, North Carolina, Sr.)
33. LA Clippers - Marcus Thornton (6?4??, SG, LSU, Sr.)
34. Memphis - AJ Price (6?2??, PG, UConn, Sr.)
35. Minnesota - Emir Preldzic (6?8??, SF, Slovenia)
36. Oklahoma City - Jeff Pendergraph (6?10??, PF, Arizona State, Sr.)
37. Golden State - Josh Heytvelt (6?11??, C, Gonzaga, Sr.)
38. Toronto - Toney Douglas (6?2??, PG, Florida State, Sr.)
39.New York - Jerel McNeal (6?3??, SG, Marquette, Sr.)
40. Indiana - Dionte Christmas (6?5??, SG, Temple, Sr.)
41. New Jersey - Vladimir Dasic (6?9??, SF, Serbia)
42. Milwaukee - Taj Gibson (6?9??, PF, USC, Jr.)
43. Charlotte - Goran Suton (6?10??, C, Michigan State, Sr.)
44. Phoenix - Dante Cunningham (6?7??, SF, Villanova, Sr.)
45. Chicago - Luigi Datome (6?8??, SF, Italy)
46. Detroit - Lester Hudson (6?3??, PG, UT-Martin, Sr.)
47. Philadelphia - Jermaine Taylor (6?4??, SG, UCF, Sr.)
48. Miami - Chris Johnson (6?11??, C, LSU, Sr.)
49. Atlanta - Luke Nevill (7?1??, C, Utah, Sr.)
50. Dallas - Vyacheslav Kratsov (7?0??, C, Ukraine)
51. Utah - Henk Norel (6?11??, PF, Netherlands)
52. Portland - Sergio Llull (6?3??, PG, Spain)
53. New Orleans - Danny Green (6?5??, SG, North Carolina, Sr.)
54. Denver - Ben Woodside (5?11??, PG, North Dakota State, Sr.)
55. San Antonio - Nando De Colo (6?5??, SG, France)
56. Houston - Curtis Jerrells (6?1??, PG, Baylor, Sr.)
57. Orlando - Jonas Jerebko (6?9??, SF, Sweden)
58. Boston - Lee Cummard (6?7??, SG, BYU, Sr.)
59. LA Lakers - DeMarre Carroll (6?8??, SF, Missouri, Sr.)
60. Cleveland - Leo Lyons (6?9??, PF, Missouri, Sr.)

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
If the Knicks pick Cole Aldrich a riot will erupt at MSG that night!!!Was that suppose to be a joke? Wow...
That means we will be passing up on Demar DeRozan and Al-Farouq Aminu.

dave2138

Rotation player
Whats wrong with Cole Aldrich? From what I can see he is a great rebounder and a great shot blocker. He is a weak offensive player for now, but that could change with experience. I don't think we can complain if we take him at #8.

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
I'd rather have Sam Young who they have going at 27 than Aldrich. Thabeet is probably a dream, but i wouldnt mind Jordan from Tulsa in the second. We may have to trade up to get him.

ANU

Starter
Lawson is going to be a superstar in the NBA, dude is a flat out beast he can run right by you or he can take it to you, his passing is under-rated and he has good IQ, and his jumpshot is much improved. i wouldn't mind drafting him at all. plus it doesn't hurt that he's NBA ready, even if he wasn't he's an upgrade over Duhon
he reminds me of flynn, only less explosive and with a better shooting touch.

ANU

Starter
If the Knicks pick Cole Aldrich a riot will erupt at MSG that night!!!Was that suppose to be a joke? Wow...
That means we will be passing up on Demar DeRozan and Al-Farouq Aminu.
cole adrich is a center.he may not be BPA, but he fits a need.personally i would not pass on derozan.
I'd rather have Sam Young who they have going at 27 than Aldrich. Thabeet is probably a dream, but i wouldnt mind Jordan from Tulsa in the second. We may have to trade up to get him.
thabeet is a bust waiting to happen.he can block shots, but that's about it.he isn't necessarily going to be a great defender. he got sonned by blair.in the nba, it's gonna be ugly for him.

JayJ44

Starter
Cole Aldrich, Greg Monroe to Stay in College?

-Cole Aldrich is returning to Kansas for his junior season, according to a source close to the program.
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-April-1-3159

I?ve been talking to several people in the know in regards to the Big East Conference who have informed me that Georgetown?s talented (albeit underachieving) freshman Greg Monroe is heavily leaning towards returning to DC.
This would be a blow for the Knicks who do need a big man, although I think Donnie Walsh has something up his sleeve. He may trade up seeing that the talent seems to be getting thin. I think Walsh makes a big run at the top of the draft. The question becomes will he be able to find a partner to trade up with.
I like Monroe but I was more than disappointed that Georgetown was so bad this year. I mean, was there a BIGGER disappointment in ALL of college hoops this year than the Hoyas?
With Monroe seriously considering returning, the big men in the draft aside from Blake Griffin, Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet aren?t considered top talents.
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/04/05/monroe-to-stay-at-georgetown/

That sucks, since we don't have a 1st round draft pick in 2010. Really wanted us to draft Monroe...

metrocard

Legend
Aldrich isn't bad. He's atheltic for a big man...has fundamental skills on offense and is a good shot blocker. I'm not too confident in him because I haven't watched enough games of him.

Thabeet has a weak lower body...he should be a more efficient rebounder...just rely on his size entire(which most 7"3 men will do, since being that tall with have its weaknesses). Thabeet has ROCK hard hands and would be the worst baseball player in the planet. Throwing it to him in the post would be like comiting suicide...he's a turnover waiting to happen.

Shot blocking wise, he's a beast.
Runs the floor well for a 7"3 man.
Has great staminia and is in great cardio conditiong.

But his strength is an issue.
I'm not asking him to become 300 lbs, but he needs to develop a lot of lower body and core strength if he wants to play effective as a center in the NBA.

Supermansdaddy, Young is a wing.

We got Chandler/Gallinari.

Wrong pick.

Thats like the Jets taking a SS in the 1st round when they already got Rhodes.

Point of this draft is:

Pick a guy who's READY to play big minutes. I feel Thabeet isn't that guy...who ever drafts him will get a defensively optimized Roy Hibbert.

Derozon is mad overrated to me.

He's not the right SG in his system, and lack of range and ball handling skill is an ISSUE to me.

Quoted from USC site:

DeRozan is exceptionally athletic but also very raw and incomplete. His ability to attack the basket alone should lead to eight free-throw attempts a game. How many times has he done that while at USC? Zero.

Basically.

DeRozan is WEAK in half court offense at driving it to the basket.
Good midrange game, but poor slasher due to his lack of handles.

He struggles to change directions with the ball and possesses very little explosion off his first step, making him almost completely unable to create his own shot. If forced to dribble the ball more than once or twice he is liable to get stripped or look out of control, although he?s doing a good job of not putting himself in situations where he is liable to turn the ball over. He is averaging twice as many turnovers as assists, which ranks him last amongst all top shooting guard prospects

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

metrocard

Legend
Ty Lawson would be a steal! If he was 6"2, people would be on his dick.

A winner.
shooter.
powerfully built.
one of the fastest in the nationa.
past first PG.
Experienced
skilled.
matured.
east coast dude.
Only 21 with a lot of college experience.

As for Flynn...I don't like his weaknesses:

WEAKNESSES:
- Dominant ball-handler
- Efficiency
- Out of control at times
- Shot-selection
- Turnover prone
- Ability to contest shots
- Ability to fight through screens
- Commitment to playing defense
- Average wingspan
- Undersized
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Relies too heavily on outside shot

Thats not a PG we need.

On the other hand, despite his exceptional ability to get into the lane, Flynn?s ability to finish at the basket should become even more of a problem, given his lack of great size and that he already has troubles finishing at the rim. According to SST, Flynn converts only 54% of his finishes at the basket, which would rank him in the 26th percentile of NCAA players, and that?s only going against college frontlines.

no bueno.

ANU

Starter
Derozon is mad overrated to me.

He's not the right SG in his system, and lack of range and ball handling skill is an ISSUE to me.

Basically.

DeRozan is WEAK in half court offense at driving it to the basket.
Good midrange game, but poor slasher due to his lack of handles.

He struggles to change directions with the ball and possesses very little explosion off his first step, making him almost completely unable to create his own shot. If forced to dribble the ball more than once or twice he is liable to get stripped or look out of control, although he?s doing a good job of not putting himself in situations where he is liable to turn the ball over. He is averaging twice as many turnovers as assists, which ranks him last amongst all top shooting guard prospects

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!
he might be all of the things you mentioned.
but he has great upsided.he's probably as good a prospect as kobe was coming out of high school.you don't pass on a player like him cause you think you need somebody who can play now.that's a misnomer.he can play basketball.he's a young gun.gallo and wil are the future of this team.adding another "project" wouldn't hurt that.