I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Who Should We Draft?

• Brandon Jennings

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Demar DeRozan

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Blake Griffin

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Jennings said in an interview after he faced Rubio, that rubio will most likely wait till the 2010 draft and enter then....we gonna get Jennings thats how i see things playing out, either him or DeRozan.....

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Rubios probably gonna wait till the last possible minute to decide-i think he declares his stock will be sky high and his injury will be healed 100% by march and he will come out strong after and present a good debate to Griffin for the no.1 pick in the draft

New New York

Quiet Storm
Rubios probably gonna wait till the last possible minute to decide-i think he declares his stock will be sky high and his injury will be healed 100% by march and he will come out strong after and present a good debate to Griffin for the no.1 pick in the draft

Rubio is waiting to see how The Knicks finish before deciding, see if it looks like The Knicks are going to be a top 3 team in the lottery he's coming to The NBA. Right now he's scared he's going to end up in OK where the latin population is like .002%:lol:. Naw I hope he's just hoping to develope his skills so he is ready when he does make the transition.

By the way what do yall know about BJ Mullens. As of right now he has that hit or miss label, meaning he could be a steal (David Lee,Brooke Lopez) or a bust (Eric Montross,Chris Mihm). I like big men with potential, (that's why I love The Clippers snagging DeAndre Jordan in the second round), but, if this kid is fragile NYC may not be for him. But his upside seems nice, potentially a bigger version of David Lee who can block shots and knock down J's.

Another player that intrigues me is Brandon Jennings simply because the kid is playing Pro Ball now in The Euroleague.

Anyways college scouting is not my thing so give some feedback Knick brethren.

metrocard

Legend
Rubio is waiting to see how The Knicks finish before deciding, see if it looks like The Knicks are going to be a top 3 team in the lottery he's coming to The NBA. Right now he's scared he's going to end up in OK where the latin population is like .002%:lol:. Naw I hope he's just hoping to develope his skills so he is ready when he does make the transition.

By the way what do yall know about BJ Mullens. As of right now he has that hit or miss label, meaning he could be a steal (David Lee,Brooke Lopez) or a bust (Eric Montross,Chris Mihm). I like big men with potential, (that's why I love The Clippers snagging DeAndre Jordan in the second round), but, if this kid is fragile NYC may not be for him. But his upside seems nice, potentially a bigger version of David Lee who can block shots and knock down J's.

Another player that intrigues me is Brandon Jennings simply because the kid is playing Pro Ball now in The Euroleague.

Anyways college scouting is not my thing so give some feedback Knick brethren.

Rubio skills are more developed than 70% of the NBA right now.
Rubio is a white EURO...I don't know what you mean by "latins" or why Rubio would care. There aren't much Spaniards in the States, only Caribbean Spanish speakers along with those from Mex & Central/Pan America.

Brandon Jennings needs to improve his range. He's shooting like 20% from 3pt in Europe, where the line is shorter. He also has a lot of weakness in decision making and shot selections...He needs to stop playing like Crawford and be more like Kenny Anderson. I wouldn't gamble on him yet till he matures and develops in the right direction. He went to Europe thinking could improve his stock by chucking and showcasing his flash. Scouts know he's a world class talent, what scouts want to see is his FUNDAMENTALS, and DECISION MAKING as a PG, along with PERIMETER range. Once he gets those skills to a B level, he could be considered a lock for the top 5. Right now, he's a complete gamble.

Defensively, Jennings struggled. Ricky Rubio blew by him on a couple of occasions even though everyone in the building knew he could only drive left, and he even fell down on one possession trying to stay in front of his man. The pick and roll gave him all sorts of trouble, and he again made very little effort to try and crash the glass or get his team extra possessions.

This is good evidence that Rubio is as fast as Jennings, and Jennings isn't much a defender, where as Rubio is a world class defender in the world of basketball ALREADY.

Rubio is a natural born leader.
We need to put all our eggs in the basket for him.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
mini update

first off i agree with metro, i do think Jennings will be a great basketball player, but Rubio is the betterof the two at this point, Rubio will come in and produce reminiscent of Chris Paul where Jennings will need some time to develop and be like Deron Williams where you'll need to wait a year or so for him to really impact your team

[There were nearly 30 NBA executives and scouts at the Connecticut-Georgetown game on Monday night, and as one respected scout said, ?Thirty men absolutely fell in love with Greg Monroe.?]

[?He plays like an old pro, the way he sees the floor, takes good shots, throws the back-door passes," said the scout. "He?s even got a hook shot. [Hasheem] Thabeet didn?t [block] his shot once.?]

Monroe's stock is rising and chances are he'll be gone by the time we pick, if he continues to improve himself throughout the course of the season.

metrocard

Legend
Yeah, Monroe is a beast, he's a skillful passing big man. He has a perimeter game(Like Bosh). Monroe is a beefy ass Chris Bosh with shot blocking. His only weakness is rebounding, but that can improve with time.

Monroe is looking great so far.

Rubio is a white EURO...I don't know what you mean by "latins" or why Rubio would care. There aren't much Spaniards in the States, only Caribbean Spanish speakers along with those from Mex & Central/Pan America.

Brandon Jennings needs to improve his range. He's shooting like 20% from 3pt in Europe, where the line is shorter. He also has a lot of weakness in decision making and shot selections...He needs to stop playing like Crawford and be more like Kenny Anderson. I wouldn't gamble on him yet till he matures and develops in the right direction. He went to Europe thinking could improve his stock by chucking and showcasing his flash. Scouts know he's a world class talent, what scouts want to see is his FUNDAMENTALS, and DECISION MAKING as a PG, along with PERIMETER range. Once he gets those skills to a B level, he could be considered a lock for the top 5. Right now, he's a complete gamble.

Defensively, Jennings struggled. Ricky Rubio blew by him on a couple of occasions even though everyone in the building knew he could only drive left, and he even fell down on one possession trying to stay in front of his man. The pick and roll gave him all sorts of trouble, and he again made very little effort to try and crash the glass or get his team extra possessions.

This is good evidence that Rubio is as fast as Jennings, and Jennings isn't much a defender, where as Rubio is a world class defender in the world of basketball ALREADY.

i do think he may be curious to see where the knicks land, but not necessarily for the reasons new new york meant.i think d'antoni's game might be what intrigues him.also, there's no city like new york city imo for foreigners to start Out.

i wish i could have seen that rubio v.jennings game.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
exactly metro and Monroe fills a major need for us at center...and as any NBA fan knows good centers are hard to come by in the NBA

dave2138

Rotation player
A lot of you guys must be rooting for the Knicks to lose every game it seems like..Most of the players talked about are projected top 5-10 picks..I think they still have a realistic shot at the 7th or 8th seed in which case we would be talking about the #15-16 pick.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but Id rather watch some knick playoff games if the cost was only to move down 1-5 spots in the draft.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i dont expect us to get the 1 overall pick or even top 5 but; we will be in the top 10 and like the Bulls showed last year anything can happen; i say we take Monroe or DeRozan

JayJ44

Starter
A lot of you guys must be rooting for the Knicks to lose every game it seems like..Most of the players talked about are projected top 5-10 picks..I think they still have a realistic shot at the 7th or 8th seed in which case we would be talking about the #15-16 pick.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but Id rather watch some knick playoff games if the cost was only to move down 1-5 spots in the draft.

I'd rather get a talented player that can help our future, than make the playoffs and most likely get swept in the first round. We don't have a first round pick next year, and if we want to attract free agents we're gonna need talented, young players. Making the playoffs isn't a smart thing to do in terms of our future.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I'd rather get a talented player that can help our future, than make the playoffs and most likely get swept in the first round. We don't have a first round pick next year, and if we want to attract free agents we're gonna need talented, young players. Making the playoffs isn't a smart thing to do in terms of our future.

exactly a young developing core of DeRozan/Monroe, Chandler, Nate, and hopefully Lee with the re-signing of Harrington then we'll be straight

New New York

Quiet Storm

Just playing about Rubio not wanting to go to OK, I was actually making fun of how Yi didnt want to go to Mil. because of how few Asians there were, and how Danillo wanted to play where there was a high Italian contigent. No disrespect to no one.

Sounds like Ricky is the truth. His defense isnt talked about much, but if you're saying the cat is a world class defender then it really solidifies him as the best prospect in the Draft. I mean I've heard all The Nash comparisons and we all know that Nash's D is weak to say the least, so if he is a Nash who can D then like you said we should persue him at all cost.

Not to mention isnt he like 6'7? Does he post up at all? Not that he would need to for Dantoni

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
nah Rubio aint 6'7 he's 6'3 his body is reminiscent of Jason Kidd, and his game is like Nash/Pete Maravic

dave2138

Rotation player
i dont expect us to get the 1 overall pick or even top 5 but; we will be in the top 10 and like the Bulls showed last year anything can happen; i say we take Monroe or DeRozan

top 10 is not likely..but I think its still fair to predict they will be a 32-37 win team..and are just as good right now as Chicago, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Toronto, Philadelphia.

Worst case knicks 08-09 record..
We can agree that guaranteed the 6 bottom teams in the west will still be worse than NY. Washington and Charlotte will be worse than the Knicks. So worst case scenario Knicks will pick 9th next year..yeah there is a 2% chance or whatever they win the lottery and get in top 3, but can't expect that.

NY, Indiana, Toronto, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, NJ probably fall in around that 30-40 win range picks 9-13 + 15-16 range.

Would you rather win 30 games, pick 9th/10th or win 37 pick 15th and watch some playoff games.

Its not like you won't get good value with the 15th pick..

Do you think Atlanta considers 07-08 season a disappointment? I would think they are more happier making the playoffs and picking a few picks back than missing and picking in the lottery again.

All I'm saying is right now knicks are in that pick #10-#13 range, but they definitely have the potential to be an 8 seed (pick 15) and I see that more positive than negative for present and future..

It would be nice to give Lee/Robinson/Chander/Gallinari some playoff experience for the future as well.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
it would be great for them to get experience but us in the playoffs isnt likely although i would be perfectly happy making it and drafting Tyreke Evans

New New York

Quiet Storm
top 10 is not likely..but I think its still fair to predict they will be a 32-37 win team..and are just as good right now as Chicago, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Toronto, Philadelphia.

Worst case knicks 08-09 record..
We can agree that guaranteed the 6 bottom teams in the west will still be worse than NY. Washington and Charlotte will be worse than the Knicks. So worst case scenario Knicks will pick 9th next year..yeah there is a 2% chance or whatever they win the lottery and get in top 3, but can't expect that.

NY, Indiana, Toronto, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, NJ probably fall in around that 30-40 win range picks 9-13 + 15-16 range.

Would you rather win 30 games, pick 9th/10th or win 37 pick 15th and watch some playoff games.

Its not like you won't get good value with the 15th pick..

Do you think Atlanta considers 07-08 season a disappointment? I would think they are more happier making the playoffs and picking a few picks back than missing and picking in the lottery again.

All I'm saying is right now knicks are in that pick #10-#13 range, but they definitely have the potential to be an 8 seed (pick 15) and I see that more positive than negative for present and future..

It would be nice to give Lee/Robinson/Chander/Gallinari some playoff experience for the future as well.

Getting into the playoffs and getting swept in 4 games by Boston or The Cavs would not get our players real playoff experience. Now I agree with you I would love to be rooting for a team come April, but, truth be told our team is not good enough to be a playoff team. We just fourtunate to be playing in a weak conference where 3 games under .500 would be good enough to get you in the playoffs. I think getting into the playoffs would be a bit misleading about where our team is ala Philly last season.

Now about the pick in the draft I think it is critical to get a lottery pick this year because we dont have a pick at all next year,because of Layden and Isiah's trades we've had consecutive losing seasons but never consecutive lottery picks, so this season is likely another losing season in terms of records so why not have the lottery pick to show for it? Like you said it is a major long shot that a team who barely misses the playoffs ends up with a top 3 pick, but there is a shot whereas making the playoffs gives us absolutley no shot at getting a top 3 pick. Plus imagine if we have the #9 pick or so Donnie could make moves to move us up in The Lottery a lot easier if he is swapping a lottery pick as opposed to a early first rounder.

I think this year just chasing the playoffs will be good enough, making the playoffs should be the expectation for next year and we can build from there.

viveiros82

Rookie
Doesn't UTAH get our first round pick?

Can someone please explain to me if Utah gets our first round pick this year or not (or maybe its in 2010). I thought we lost our pick in the Marbury trade (damn Isiah)