I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Who Should We Draft?

• Brandon Jennings

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Demar DeRozan

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Blake Griffin

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

JayJ44

Starter
Can someone please explain to me if Utah gets our first round pick this year or not (or maybe its in 2010). I thought we lost our pick in the Marbury trade (damn Isiah)

If we finish in the top 8 in the league this year, our 1st round pick goes to Utah. Otherwise, our 1st round pick goes to Utah in 2010. The reason it's Utah, is because Phoenix traded the pick that was a part of the Marbury trade, to Utah as a part of a seperate trade.

New New York

Quiet Storm
If we finish in the top 8 in the league this year, our 1st round pick goes to Utah. Otherwise, our 1st round pick goes to Utah in 2010. The reason it's Utah, is because Phoenix traded the pick that was a part of the Marbury trade, to Utah as a part of a seperate trade.

I thought Utah has the option of taking our pick this year, but is unconditional next year thus making it more likely they take that pick

dave2138

Rotation player
Getting into the playoffs and getting swept in 4 games by Boston or The Cavs would not get our players real playoff experience. Now I agree with you I would love to be rooting for a team come April, but, truth be told our team is not good enough to be a playoff team. We just fourtunate to be playing in a weak conference where 3 games under .500 would be good enough to get you in the playoffs. I think getting into the playoffs would be a bit misleading about where our team is ala Philly last season.

Now about the pick in the draft I think it is critical to get a lottery pick this year because we dont have a pick at all next year,because of Layden and Isiah's trades we've had consecutive losing seasons but never consecutive lottery picks, so this season is likely another losing season in terms of records so why not have the lottery pick to show for it? Like you said it is a major long shot that a team who barely misses the playoffs ends up with a top 3 pick, but there is a shot whereas making the playoffs gives us absolutley no shot at getting a top 3 pick. Plus imagine if we have the #9 pick or so Donnie could make moves to move us up in The Lottery a lot easier if he is swapping a lottery pick as opposed to a early first rounder.

I think this year just chasing the playoffs will be good enough, making the playoffs should be the expectation for next year and we can build from there.

The knicks have as good a shot at having a top 3 or even top 8 pick as they do beating the Celtics/Cavs in a best of 7 series in my opinion.

Playoff experience is playoff experience. You can't make making the playoffs a negative experience. Its an accomplishment..and I would sacrifice moving 5 spots down in the draft if it meant having improved the team from last season.

We all think this team will be completely different come 2010..but odds are the young core is kept with Lee, Robinson, Chandler, Gallinari with an addition of 1 or 2 15-20 mil players. Anything these guys can accomplish right now only will help them in the future..Can't really argue that.

The team may not be good enough to be a playoff team, but neither is any of the teams in the east after the top 6. Each team has its problems, but I don't think we should root for the knicks to be the worst of the group. As of now I see the Knicks to have an equal chance to have any pick from 9-13, 15-16..and I'd be more happy with the 16th than the 9th in my opinion.

JayJ44

Starter
I thought Utah has the option of taking our pick this year, but is unconditional next year thus making it more likely they take that pick

I think this year it's top 22 protected, so if we get the 22nd pick or higher they get this year's pick whether they like it or not. But if we don't, they'll get the 2010 pick no matter the position.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^yup and thats good news because next years draft class is wack.....

and i would rather draft early this year then get swept cause chances are the games won't be close, we won't pull off a hawks kind of suprise were not as complete as the Hawks were last year, getting swept isn't that good of experience draft this year and come back next year stronger and we'll be ready to compete then

dave2138

Rotation player
You never know though anything can happen in the playoffs...granted the best team wins 95% of the time, if the knicks were to make it, they will have to have some momentum the 2nd half of the season to be the best of the 6 or so -.500 teams. I'm just saying now there even with this slump..theres still 50 games left, the knicks have just as good a chance making the playoffs as an 8 seed as they do finishing 9th or 10th from the bottom. They also have just as good a chance of beating Boston or Cleveland in the 1st round as they do drafting Rubio or Thabeet or Monroe..or any other player projected to go within the first 5 or so picks.

By the way I know too early to tell, but how much difference in value can you expect in picks 15-16 as opposed to 9-10?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
there isnt that much difference but the prosects are better but its all about who u draft, not just for need but based on upside and level of potential, so we could get good value if we draft Tyreke Evans who is very talented and could be Joe Johnson of sorts, or we could take a guy i really like (no homo) in Ty Lawson so theres lots of players out there; they could all be good players

DanL

Rookie
New Draft Analysis for Knicks

There's a post by Jon over at www.knicksfan.net talking about some of the elite prospects in this year's draft and how they'd fit in on the Knicks:
Greg Monroe, Freshman, Georgetown, 6′10, 226 - As we?re all painfully aware, the Knicks are in dire need of some size. Monroe is tall. But there?s more. He?s also very skilled. In Georgetown?s Princeton offense, Monroe gets the ball at the elbow where he shows the ability to make great passes to dive cutters or open shooters,face up and take it to the hole, or take the elbow jumper...

Link here for more: http://www.knicksfan.net/?p=258.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree DanL we hould make drafting Monroe a priority we need size and he brings that and so much more, alot of upside, he could run the floor, good for our system, plays defense, and shoot a short J why not draft him it makes the most sense for us....hope he falls to us or we could trade up and grab him

JayJ44

Starter
What about Stephon Curry if he's available? Dick Vitale just said he'll be a superstar in the NBA. Although, we desperately need a center.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ he'll also be a great fit but he may not fall to our range due to his impressive play

if we draft a 2 i want
. DeMar DeRozan
. Tyreke Evans
. Stephen Curry

or Center
. Greg Monroe
. Hashim Thabeet

What about Stephon Curry if he's available? Dick Vitale just said he'll be a superstar in the NBA. Although, we desperately need a center.

I'd rather have Soph. Nick Calathus out of Fla. The kid has a great stroke and great Court Vision as well as Good Size at around 6'5"- 6'6", I still think we'll be picking between 15-20 so a lot of the player's we really need will be off the board all-ready. Stephon Curry will not translate well into the NBA simply because he's 6 foot nothing and a SG trapped in a Small PG's body. Totaly agree with you on the "Center" part though, to bad Griffen,Thabeet, and Monroe will be gone way before we pick :bitch:

Knixy

Benchwarmer
It's so frustrating because instead of doing the smart thing and going for a top 3 pick, this franchise will again win 30-33 games and be stuck with the 10th pick. Instead of having a chance to get Blake Griffin, James Harden or Hasheem Thabeet, they will be looking at players like Chase Budinger. :boohoo:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ theres alot better talent available at 10 loll

DeMar DeRozan
Tyreke Evans
Greg Monroe
Earl Clark
Austin Dayne

thats just to name a few, were gonna draft a really good player but i just dunno if it'll be a C or Shooting Guard

i say we do whats nessesary and try to get Thabeet or Monroe...

^ theres alot better talent available at 10 loll

DeMar DeRozan
Tyreke Evans
Greg Monroe
Earl Clark
Austin Dayne

thats just to name a few, were gonna draft a really good player but i just dunno if it'll be a C or Shooting Guard

i say we do whats nessesary and try to get Thabeet or Monroe...

I don't think we'll even be near the 10 pick more like 15-17 range I'm guessing and Monroe and Evens will probably be gone by then :boohoo:. Earl Clark look pretty good in that range though :thumbsup: I also agree with you that we should do what's needed to move up and aquire a Thabeet or a Monroe or hell lets shoot for the stars and try and get Blake Griffen :teeth:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we should shoot for the stars,

someone once told "shot for the moon cause if you miss you'll still land among the stars".......

but the way we've been playing we may even fall inside the top-10