D'Antoni Benched Marbury because...

Red

TYPE-A
D'Antoni decided to bench him after that 2nd Boston game in the pre-season after Marbury was arguing with Eddie House. He saw the same immature, distracting behavior he witnessed in the past and was convinced Marbury hasn't changed and would just be a distraction. I'm not sure if he hasn't played since (I believe he still got pre-season minutes) but I recall thinking not that he would be benched but he was going on a bit much. D'Antoni took notice and he had enough. They were just starting to gel a bit and Marbury did what everyone thinks he always does which is put himself above the team.
F.U. PAY ME!!!!lol

Akamu

The King
D'Antoni decided to bench him after that 2nd Boston game in the pre-season after Marbury was arguing with Eddie House. He saw the same immature, distracting behavior he witnessed in the past and was convinced Marbury hasn't changed and would just be a distraction. I'm not sure if he hasn't played since (I believe he still got pre-season minutes) but I recall thinking not that he would be benched but he was going on a bit much. D'Antoni took notice and he had enough. They were just starting to gel a bit and Marbury did what everyone thinks he always does which is put himself above the team.
F.U. PAY ME!!!!lol

6639yt8.jpg

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Who is calling the shots on Marbury?

Marbury has no agent. Marbury has insisted that he will not take a penny less than his full $21.9M -- no buy-out discounts. My bet is that in his brief meeting with Walsh, Marbury re-stated his position and taht is why the meeting was brief.

I hazard the guess that the decision as to Marbury is in neither Walsh's nor D'Antoni's hands. I believe that as matters now stand, Dolan has made it clear that he is not letting Marbury go for the full $21.9M. Walsh and D'Antoni are stuck with that. If they can be believed, it appears to be Walsh's position that if he is here, we might as well play him. And D'Antoni's position apppears to be that he would prefer to play his younger people and not humiliate Marbury with garbage time. My guess is that neither Walsh nor D'Antoni would object to a waiver, i.e., give Marbury his full contract and move on. However, that is a financial decision.

Dolan is in charge of financial matters. Perhaps the current mess is designed either to have Marbury blink and take less than the full amount or to give Dolan a rationale that the stockholders would accept for giving Marbury his full pay-out.

There is no way, however, that Walsh and D'Antoni have not talked about all this. Otherwise, what the hell is Walsh doing for his money?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Whatever he's benching marbury for is stupid. Never in all my years watching pro basletball have i seen a talent like Marbury still in the prime of his career being prevented from playing when he's still the BEST player on the team. I know the organization is moving in a new direction, but there are still fans who pay good money to see the best players on the floor.

If you wanna give him 10 mins a game then do it but not even having him activated is the dumbest thing. Mardy and Rose over Steph???? WTF!!!!!

Starks

Starter
I get sick to my stomach knowing that there is a US citizen out there makinh 21.9 mil this year for absolutley nothing. In this economy where familes are having their lives ruined and college kids are having their futures put on hold.....it just boils my blood paying my bills and struggling to find a job knowing someone out there is making 21.9 millio for NOTHING.

I don't care if its Stephon or not. I'm mad at the Knicks for throwing money away like that, and I'm also upset at Stephon for not having the humility to atleast negotiate a buyout at a lower rate.

Both parties are disrespecting hard workin American people.

This nonsense will never happen in another country.

richtree

Rotation player
starks...you need to understand how the world works...

the reason basketball players , or pro sports athletes get paid so much is because no one can do what they do...

For example, there is only one person on the earth as good as AROD is in baseball....

but there are like 100,000's of doctors or lawyers out there......

there are only 150 or so starting players in the NBA and they are in the media every day....

can you name the best 10 doctors in the world? america...your state?

probably not....when you're the best at what you do ...you get paid the most...

and when there is a demand , or everyone wants to be that profession thats when you get paid more....

its harder to find another Lebron James out there than another doctor, or lawyer, and any other profession.....

stop hating on pro sports...even if the man sits all year, he already earned it...

in sports you get paid on you past performance in future earnings....

that's life ..the sooner you get over it the better....

richtree

Rotation player
..and just a side note....

Steph helped make $20 dollar sneakers....

so the next time you see someone buy $140 pair of sneakers in this economy tell them,

"they are killing the working class, forkin' over their money to the rich "

word@richtree

i have this argument with people all the time at work....they BRING IN that much money in revenue (in MOST situations)

you can blame our previous management for the contracts and for the situation we are in, you CANT blame steph or d'antoni, you all know who im talking about....

Akamu

The King
I'm starting to like this Richtree guy...good post(s)

Anyone saying anything bad about Starbury getting paid $20 million for nothing needs to sit down and put a $15-20 Starbury shoe in their mouth, cause your only talking that goota-cheese garbage cuz your hating.

Here's a re-regurgitation for you short-minded folks:

Starbury worked hard to get in shape to earn his money, was willing to play whatever role D'Ant wanted him for.

The Knicks management made the decision to be foolish and not play their BEST player.

This is unacceptble, it does not matter if he is not here next year, utilize an All-Star while he still is getting paid and is willing to play. I have not been impressed by any decisions made thus yet.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I enjoy suckin dikk when im not busy

The Marbury/eddie house incident has nothin to do with this. Thats a lame attempt by the haterburys who say this. Marbury was droppin knowedge on that boy eddie house.

Which would you rather have, a 22 mil for 5 or 6 years contract (forgot how long it was for) or a couple mil and a couple of all star teammates who carry your scrubby ass to a championship?

Eddie house lost and so did the threadstarter

TEam Starbury....hit this "Red" motherfukker up with bad rep points

TunerAddict

Starter
word@richtree

i have this argument with people all the time at work....they BRING IN that much money in revenue (in MOST situations)

you can blame our previous management for the contracts and for the situation we are in, you CANT blame steph or d'antoni, you all know who im talking about....

Yep...Its about the profit.

Being that the NBA is making such large profits, you cannot expect these players to make $100,000 a year while the owners make 100x that amount.

Really you have the players unions in sports to thank for high wages. Simple of argument of how much they bring in, being that they are the reason that people come to watch, means that they are entitled to a proportional amount of the revenue.

Richtree, you're wrong with the fact that there are 1000s of doctors but only a few basketball players. If we had less skilled ppl in there if there weren't the ppl we have today, they'd still be making close to the same amount of money. It isn't about skill. The league would NOT make more money if there was more skill right now. There will always be fans who want to shell out cash to see their games. Always companies that want to advertise during these games on TV, that want signs or mentions in the theater, that give endorsements. It isn't proportional to their skill, but that they are the best. It is just that they are the cream of the crop, and only a small amount is needed. Doctors get paid less because there is a larger need. There are more ppl to be doctors. There are only like 300 NBA players. Thus with the amount of money they bring in, you would expect them to make more money. Skill has nothing to do with it.

Red

TYPE-A
The Marbury/eddie house incident has nothin to do with this. Thats a lame attempt by the haterburys who say this. Marbury was droppin knowedge on that boy eddie house.

Which would you rather have, a 22 mil for 5 or 6 years contract (forgot how long it was for) or a couple mil and a couple of all star teammates who carry your scrubby ass to a championship?

Eddie house lost and so did the threadstarter

TEam Starbury....hit this "Red" motherfukker up with bad rep points

I never said this was fact or I agree with it, I'm just stating my opinion. Bottom line is I can't figure a logical reason why he's not playing (unless D'Antoni is tanking the season- which isn't logical).
That whole "TEam Starbury....hit this "Red" motherfukker up with bad rep points" is mad funny.....lol!!!!!! Bad Rep points...!!!...lol..!!!

richtree

Rotation player
I agree with you ....

but skill does have some factor

but i agree with u Tuner...

skill does have some factor

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
D'Antoni is a selfish piece of s#!t. He doesn't like Marbury, so he'd rather cost the Knicks an entire season than to put his differences aside and try to win as many games as possible. He feels that by not playing Marbury, he will be able to show that the Knicks don't need him and that paying Duhon 12 million dollars was worth it. It's not going to work.

TunerAddict

Starter
D'Antoni is a selfish piece of s#!t. He doesn't like Marbury, so he'd rather cost the Knicks an entire season than to put his differences aside and try to win as many games as possible.

Your opinion. We don't know the situation, we cannot have any clue whats really going on. Plus its only 3 game in, shit could change a lot and probably will before game 10!

stevie

Benchwarmer
Who cares. With or without tattoo head, this team was not making the playoffs. I read some of the teammates were promised by management that he wouldn't be here. I think a lot more went on last year than we know about.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Think of all of the coaches that Mebury has either gotten fired or feuded with. I think it's been all of them. Now a coach is sticking it to him. Payback's a bitch...aint it.