crawford, and the offense. To soon to be optimistic?

jzero29

Rotation player
Last year Crawford got off to an awesome start. He was dropping 30 all the time and I was all ready to eat my harsh words of criticism. Then he came crashing back down to earth. I even started a thread last year
Crawford has been playing well, these first two games. Should I be eating my words? We'll see, I have yet to actually watch a full KNick game, (working nights sometimes sucks)Have me and countless other Crawford haters been wrong? he's had two good scoring games(24.5ppg), good assist #s(6.5apg), Still a little high in TO's(3TOpg). SO far best free throw shooter. Good FG%(.500fg%), still poor 3pt%(.2863pt%) 2 steals per game. So he needs to improve his turnovers and either stop shooting 3's or start hitting them. He has been the best Kick so far, close to zacks performancewho's avg 18ppg and 12rpg. But also terrible TO's. I haven't seen a whole game so I am unsure, if they have been playing well as a team, or if it has all been individual efforts across the board?
This year he is off to a good start as well. Making me want to eat my words, but this year I'll wait.
The team/system has shown promise. They are playing well and have been in most games. The only really bad game was the one against lowly milwaukie(no effort), they were also outclassed by 76ers(elton brand was unstopable). They hung with the spurs most of the game. They have looked good. Granted the only team that they played so far that is a good team is the 76ers. I'm not counting the spurs, they were without 2 allstar caliber players. which puts them in the beatable catagory.Oh i forgot the big win against a really good jazz team. There is hope for this team and I am surprised they are doing so well so soon.
I am sure they will not continue this improbable start, and they will struggle still working out kinks to system, but it shows huge promise, while increasing value of our guys. I was skeptical of D'antoni. Now I'm a fan. The team looks happy, they are having fun, there is plenty of shots to go around and they have been competing. Curious to see how they react to hard times, and better teams and elite teams, like the Celts, clevland and western confrence teams, like LA, houston and others. Curious to see team morale after a losing streak. they have done good rebounding from poor performances early.
Back to crawford who has been impressive so far, avg career highs in pts, fg% and 3ptfg%. His both %'s well above his career avg. career fg .404 2008-09 fg% .460, career 3ptfg% .348 2008-09 3ptfg% .466. He has started what could be his best year ever. He needs to pick up some more steals. But he has really seemed to fit this system [so for(cautious optimism)]. I have been saying this all along, take the ball out of his hands, place into a PG who is not shoot first, like duhon, and reel in Crawfords shot selection, he could be okay. If he keeps playing like this he will be better then okay and I'll have to eat my words finally. My only point I'd still be right on, is you can't run offense through him, he is a better supporter. The offense hasn't run through him. It's been through duhon and robinson and team sharing(the extra pass) there is no isolation play by the knicks, only on occasion when they need to get off a shot. Less turnovers from the guy running the offense(no longer jamaal)
I still am not sold, Crawford would have to continue his career year, for me to be a fan. But either way, the knicks players are gaining value. Zach, Chandler, Robinson and yes crawford have looked great. Lee has been good a little overshadowed by chandler. Duhon has been solid. Not all star but solid. His play has been better then his stat line, he really runs the team. The extra pass has really caught on. I am curious to see the addition of jefferies and gallinari. If this system does for them, what it has done for everyone else, I'd love to see it. I'd even like to see curry increase his value from zero to anything.

Sad to say, it really shows Isiahs ability to gather talent, while also showing his inability to coach and create a good system. His main problem was running offense through crawford as number 1 option and ballhandler. not fixing problems like Marbury, Curry's attitude and effort and crawfords TO and shot selection. Zach Black hole. and not putting curry in his place, trying to force him to become a great player to justify his trade. Right now it is all up to curry to prove he belongs. By healing and getting in game shape and playing within the system. If Curry manages to stop believing he deserves to start, and starts thinking he needs to earn/prove it, he could revive his career. D'antoni has made it clear they don't need him to win.
He has sent message to entire team, I don't care who you are, what you get paid, how much we gave up for you to suceed here, we don't need you if your not going to play my way and play hard. The Ball is in curry's court. And it's right, at this point and time he doesn't deserve to start, they don't need him, D'antoni doesn't care how much Curry gets paid or what the knicks gave up to get him, he's not playing until he proves he deserves it. It's not his mistake to correct. That goes for everyone, he is finally basing the knicks playing time on their effort, not the other factors, not trying to force the moves he made look good(like Isiah) and things are falling into place.

adamsilver

Rookie
Always liked Crawford for his ability. Right now, the Knicks I'm supporting are Randolph, Chandler, Lee, Roberson and Crawford (in no particular order). The rest of the team I can take or leave...though Nasty Nate had a nasty first half a few nights ago.

Paul1355

All Star
Frazier tells it all

Walt Frazier said in the Knicks post game that Crawford is doing something that he didn't do last year. He is improving his shot selection. We all know that last year if he improved his shot selection he would have averaged 5 more points per game easy. He has more help now being that everyone is shooting the ball and distributing. Nate and Chandler have broken out offensively to help Crawford as well as Zach like always.

Crawford doesn't have to throw up shots anymore because Isiah is gone and because he is finally getting help on the offense.

Crawford getting paid 8 mil a year to put up 20 ppg with a good shot selection. That's worth 8 mil. If he goes ice cold....then we have a problem.

jzero29

Rotation player
Walt Frazier said in the Knicks post game that Crawford is doing something that he didn't do last year. He is improving his shot selection. We all know that last year if he improved his shot selection he would have averaged 5 more points per game easy. He has more help now being that everyone is shooting the ball and distributing. Nate and Chandler have broken out offensively to help Crawford as well as Zach like always.

Crawford doesn't have to throw up shots anymore because Isiah is gone and because he is finally getting help on the offense.

Crawford getting paid 8 mil a year to put up 20 ppg with a good shot selection. That's worth 8 mil. If he goes ice cold....then we have a problem.
shot selection, means passing up good shots, sometimes passing the ball all together and sharing more. His attempts are slightly down this year from 17 to 15 now and the team as a whole is getting more attempts duee to the tempo. So this means his role has decreased, but he's using he getting more looks and not trying to force up tough shots. His FG % is vastly improved. Id on't think it is him "not having to chuck up so much" as it's he's not given the green light to chuck those ridiculous shots up all the time, the coach wants and demands good shots or move the ball.

Always liked Crawford for his ability. Right now, the Knicks I'm supporting are Randolph, Chandler, Lee, Roberson and Crawford (in no particular order). The rest of the team I can take or leave...though Nasty Nate had a nasty first half a few nights ago.
Nates had several good games, he's a major boost off the bench.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think Crawford's for real. He's had 7 good games and just 1 bad game, so far. His overall field goal percentage, as well as his 3 pt percentage, has improved a lot. Jamal Crawford should go on the 3 pt contest, with the way that he's been shooting the 3.

Jamal Crawford currently ranks #1 in 3 pt field goals made and #2 in 3 pt field goals attempted.

It's real simple with JC. If he is shaking and baking and taking fade away 3's, he will have great nights and many off nights. If he plays within this offense, and continues to attack the rim, he will avg close to 25 a game. Here's to hoping for the latter.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i thought Crawford would have a horrible year after watching his pre-season preformance, but dayum this dude is ballin right now...hope he keeps this up and doesnt fall in love with the j thats when he gets bad

Red

TYPE-A
What Crawford needs to do is..

I think the Knicks live and die by the Three (not a major observation). They can get ahead if successful and mount come backs with it. If it doesn't drop they're in trouble. To increase the odds of success (especially playing good defensive teams) someone other than Nate and Chandler needs to be able to get to the hole and draw fouls. Crawford's all around game could be improved if...

1. Like Wilson Chandler needed to improve his outside game (as he's showing) Crawford needs to learn how to attack the basket with more effectiveness. Don't just try to draw or assume the foul, MAKE THE SHOT.

2. Improve his shot selection. I think M. D'Atoni should run more curls/catch and shoot for him.

3. Improve his handle and passing. Sometimes he leaves me smh. I know he has handle to beat you off the dribble but at times his passes and his turnovers are just dumb and not fundamental.

I know he attacks the basket but he hoists up inside shots when he drives instead of trying to maintain body control, drawing the foul and making the shot. This helps you get back in the game when behind w/o taking time off the clock.

The Knicks need:
1. Better low post players (no offense to Z-Bo)
2. Better low post defenders (they're getting abused by other bigs, on the boards, scoring off the blocks, 2nd chance points), and are getting their inside shots altered too much.
I'm not sure how often they can produce like Wednesday from the outside. So next thing I'm looking for is what adjustments Mike D will make to counter this.

adamsilver

Rookie
Don't forget, Mike D. didn't do it with the Suns in year one and we're obviously in much worse shape and trying to mold ourselves to make that 2010 move.

This is something I tell everyone on my Dolphins board...it takes time and patience along with accountability and the right system to get it all together.

I must say, though, things do look promising. With the exception of drafting the Rooster and not settling on a Marbury resolution, I approve of almost everything we have done this off-season.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i thought Crawford would have a horrible year after watching his pre-season preformance, but dayum this dude is ballin right now...hope he keeps this up and doesnt fall in love with the j thats when he gets bad

pre season dosent count....its like practice

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ true that but its good for something everyone was asking for Crawfords head after the preseason now they love em...he's ballin i hope he keeps it up..my only worry is he's gonna know he's ballin then might fall in love with the j and then be back to the old crawford but D'Antoni needs to make sure that dont happen... he could still improve his drive-and-finish and shot selection...adamsilver im sure D'Antoni knows were nowhere near a 60 win team loll

moneyg

Starter
if crawford continues to play well all season he will opt out of the remainder of his contract and will look to sign a long term deal, possibly with another team which will be good for our salary cap. ther will be teams that will offer him a salary starting at 10mil a year:update:

jzero29

Rotation player
Fyi

you know what? with all due respect. Shut up and enjoy the damn Wins.
FYI this is a forum, def of forum: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas and opinions....hmmm opinions and ideas? so I will not shut up, I will continue to contribute my opnions to this forum, and I encourage everyone to do the same. Your as bad as the washington post sensoring the bad news stories about obama untill after his inaugeration(they admitted to having a damaging story on him that they won't release untill he's in office.) No person should cover up the truth to keep people from making an informed decision, it's wrong. It's manipulating the media, to get what you want. So I will not be silenced or edited! By you or anyone else. The Media is terrible, even with the marbury situation, they have nothing so they just keep trying to create the story, instead of waiting until the story really happens.

Starks

Starter
FYI this is a forum, def of forum: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas and opinions....hmmm opinions and ideas? so I will not shut up, I will continue to contribute my opnions to this forum, and I encourage everyone to do the same. Your as bad as the washington post sensoring the bad news stories about obama untill after his inaugeration(they admitted to having a damaging story on him that they won't release untill he's in office.) No person should cover up the truth to keep people from making an informed decision, it's wrong. It's manipulating the media, to get what you want. So I will not be silenced or edited! By you or anyone else. The Media is terrible, even with the marbury situation, they have nothing so they just keep trying to create the story, instead of waiting until something really happens with him.

what a noble cause you champion. You sound like Sarah Palin

Starks

Starter
FYI this is a forum, def of forum: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas and opinions....hmmm opinions and ideas? so I will not shut up, I will continue to contribute my opnions to this forum, and I encourage everyone to do the same. Your as bad as the washington post sensoring the bad news stories about obama untill after his inaugeration(they admitted to having a damaging story on him that they won't release untill he's in office.) No person should cover up the truth to keep people from making an informed decision, it's wrong. It's manipulating the media, to get what you want. So I will not be silenced or edited! By you or anyone else. The Media is terrible, even with the marbury situation, they have nothing so they just keep trying to create the story, instead of waiting until the story really happens.

FYI, keep your political debates to Private Messages. You'll get embarrased even more by then you comparing Marbury to John McCain's 2008 Presidential campaign. Yea that makes sense

why don'y you start a Obam-haterbury.com website for you "Team Anti Obama" internet buddies

Paul1355

All Star

And you are surprised that a source is holding a story about Obama? A poll showed that the Media favored Obama to McCain 9 to 1. That means plainly that the media was biased, showed Barack Obama 9 times for MCain's one appearance, and made a big factor in this race.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
dont want Crawford to fall in love with the jumper, thats when he's shit he tries to force shit thinking he's Kobe....he just needs shot selection D'Antoni could help him improve it...who knows when we start going on losing streaks he may get desprate and start chucking again...interseting to see how things play out when we start losing

Akamu

The King
FYI, keep your political debates to Private Messages. You'll get embarrased even more by then you comparing Marbury to John McCain's 2008 Presidential campaign. Yea that makes sense

why don'y you start a Obam-haterbury.com website for you "Team Anti Obama" internet buddies

@ Jzero keep doing you, don't bother taking what these village idiots say into account.

Starks, obviously is oblivious to the facts about Obama like many others, and has his opinions stimulated by mainstream media. If he wants to talk about embarassment I got an enormous amount of information that he would have a lot of trouble understanding. BTW I don't hate Obama, I dislike his policies which hurt and will hurt everyone.

Alternative media is the best and more informative type of media out there.

The media went after Starbury because it's a business they need a story.

Crawford is and will always be trash-