Possible trade involving Curry and Shawn Marion

JayJ44

Starter
The Shawn Marion Destination?
What could be better for Shawn Marion, who has been struggling with the Miami Heat this season, than a return to a familiar coach and a familiar system?
According to reports out of New York today the Knicks and HEAT have been having some level of discussion about a possible swap involving Marion heading back to the Mike D'Antoni system and disgruntled center Eddy Curry heading to the warmer climes of South Beath.
Such a move would certainly address needs on both ends. Even if the Knicks never found a way to get the most out of Marion, his ending contract is precisely what the front office is looking for. Frankly, though, Marion might just be the piece that takes the Knicks from pretenders to serious playoff hopefuls.
On the Miami side, if Curry can get into shape (and don't think Pat Riley would be any easier on him than D'Antoni has been), he could be the missing link for the HEAT. Not that Mark Blunt isn't an All-Star center . . .but the HEAT have actually gone to starting power forward Udonis Haslem in the middle. They need beef, and Curry has plenty of that.
This deal is not imminent, from what I've heard, because the salaries don't match and it's complicated to make that happen, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see this conversation come to fruition in the near future.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10584

There probably isn't much truth to this, but it's very interesting. We get an all-star player who's used to D'antoni's system, for Curry. Only problem I can see is that we already have a similar player in Wilson Chandler and there may not be enough minutes. But if we could get rid of Curry then it's definitely worth it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well Curry and Malik Rose would work in terms of cap. Now I'm not at all concerned with adding Marion because of Wilson because I think they would play well together. The problem is I think Wilson would get moved back to the bench because Mike Dantoni is not going to move Q to the bench. But Wilson and Marion would give us a very versitile front court.

Duhon
Crawford
Marion
Chandler
Zach

Not a lock for the playoffs by no means, but an obvious upgrade! But like you said likely this deal doesnt get done. Although remember that rumor that Riley went after Curry at the trade deadline last season. I guess he figures Curry at the top of his game is almost as good as Shaq when he was with The Heat. Now if The Heat can get a third team involved they could get Steph and Curry.

Steph
Wade
Beasley
Haslem
Curry

Top 4 team in The East possibly

JayJ44

Starter
Well Curry and Malik Rose would work in terms of cap. Now I'm not at all concerned with adding Marion because of Wilson because I think they would play well together. The problem is I think Wilson would get moved back to the bench because Mike Dantoni is not going to move Q to the bench. But Wilson and Marion would give us a very versitile front court.

Duhon
Crawford
Marion
Chandler
Zach

Not a lock for the playoffs by no means, but an obvious upgrade! But like you said likely this deal doesnt get done. Although remember that rumor that Riley went after Curry at the trade deadline last season. I guess he figures Curry at the top of his game is almost as good as Shaq when he was with The Heat. Now if The Heat can get a third team involved they could get Steph and Curry.

Steph
Wade
Beasley
Haslem
Curry

Top 4 team in The East possibly

I think if we were to get Marion, D'antoni wouldn't have a problem moving Q to the bench. Q has had one good game so far, in a losing effort, so he should be on the bench even without this trade, in my opinion.

3 team deals are hard to to do, and the Heat would have to give up a lot of players to be able to take on Steph's large salary. Once again, not likely, but you never know, and it would be nice to be able to get rid of Curry and Steph, since they don't have a place on the team.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
can u imagine a lineup of;

rubio - defense
crawford - offense
marion - defense
chandler - offense/defense
zbo - offensive

with nate, lee, gall

TunerAddict

Starter
I kinda have to doubt this because there was a big feud between Shawn and D in PHX. If this was made, Marion might just get the Steph treatment and they'd wait for his contract to expire.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
I kinda have to doubt this because there was a big feud between Shawn and D in PHX. If this was made, Marion might just get the Steph treatment and they'd wait for his contract to expire.
DOUBT THAT...i mean c mon one reason mike was mad at phoenix was because he did not really want Shaq and did not want to let go of Marion...if Marion comes to New York i see him playing ALOT of minutes next to zach and jamal

TunerAddict

Starter
DOUBT THAT...i mean c mon one reason mike was mad at phoenix was because he did not really want Shaq and did not want to let go of Marion...if Marion comes to New York i see him playing ALOT of minutes next to zach and jamal

What I heard is that D WANTED Marion gone. Supposedly he was a terrible locker room guy and was pissing everyone off. They felt just getting rid of him was addition by subtraction. I heard he has worn his welcome in Phoenix out.

Damn....Sounds like someone else I know....

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
With a good defensive center, that's a top-tier team in the Eastern Conference.

if we get around 7-10 pick in the 2009 nba draft(where we will likely end up unless we get lucky) im looking at

Thabeet-BIG need at center plays defense great shot blocker good scorer around th basket with huge upside( ill put his profile in my draft thread)

Jennings-already explained him

and the biggest sleeper if he enters the draft;

Jrue Holiday-great combo gaurd compared to D-Wade i would love to have this dude.

-ill add all their stats and analize them in the draft thread when the season gets underway...

and to stick to the subject of the draft i say no to Marion wants to much money and long term commitment, two things we wont do and we gotta similar player who'll be better in Chanlder we dont want too much of the same players on this team which is what hurt us in past years.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
yeah marion was the problem in phoenix, marion felt he wasnt gettin enough shine offf the success in phoenix, didnt like the fact steve nash and amare was gettin most of the credit, crazy how marion had the biggets contract, smh at that idiot upset about something thats workin

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
What I heard is that D WANTED Marion gone. Supposedly he was a terrible locker room guy and was pissing everyone off. They felt just getting rid of him was addition by subtraction. I heard he has worn his welcome in Phoenix out.

Damn....Sounds like someone else I know....
oo really? i have to stop listening to those ESPN guys cause they were saying this and that when mike left phoenix and thats one of the things they said...your probably right though...LOL doubt he will be another Stephon...and ey...whos going to steal his shine in new york really? lol i think it would work out

JayJ44

Starter
I remember hearing something about Marion making a problem in the locker room, but I don't know too much about it. But the last thing we need is chemistry problems. I don't think he brings much more to the table than Chandler does, but on the other hand, we can't be picky if we can get rid of Curry.

Datprince, thanks for the info. I don't watch a lot of college ball and it's great to have some info on these guys other than youtube and that draft express website.

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
gettin marion right now whether he works out or not allows us to get rid of curry's contract. we can let marion go after the season. iwould do it ina heartbeat even if we bought him out as sson as he came over

we'd probably have to include malik in the trade to make the salaries match. if i was walsh id tell the heat if they argeed to the trade, they would be be the only team in the east id allow marbury to go to.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
we've heard all this talking.. lets see some action, I'm sick of this

Agreed. There have been many trade rumors and possibilities but Donnie hasn't done anything. I like his patience, and it may pay off tremendously when we eventually trade Zach, but at some point you have to take action. 2010 will come up and bite us in the ass if we don't start implementing the 2010 plan soon.

Regardless, this trade will not happen. It's true, D'Antoni and Marion don't get along.

adamsilver

Rookie
While I love this in theory and in regards to the players, the last thing I want to do is help Pat Riley--Mr. Snakey McReptile.