Should we keep Zach now?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I admit, I was complaining about Zach this offseason and angry that Donnie didn't trade him before the season started. I was wrong. He has played so well lately though, I'm even starting to wonder if the Knicks should trade him at all.

He is currently averaging 20.8 pts and 12.9 rbs a game. The last two games he scored 27pts/18rebs and 29pts/19rebs. Those are huge numbers. I still don't like his passing, but it has improved. Getting a hustle, shot-blocking center that can run the floor well (ehem...Sean Williams) would compliment Zach's skills nicely.

So, should we trade him or keep him? If Donnie still wants to stay with the 2010 plan, trading Crawford and Jeffries would equal trading Zach's salary. I 'm happy Donnie has been patient about moving Zach. At the very least, we will get much more in return then before.

If we do keep Zach, I'm not sure Lee has a place with the Knicks. Lee is going to want big money and want to be a starter. I'm not confident with the Lee/Zach frontcourt. It is too weak on defense.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I admit, I was complaining about Zach this offseason and angry that Donnie didn't trade him before the season started. I was wrong. He has played so well lately though, I'm even starting to wonder if the Knicks should trade him at all.

He is currently averaging 20.8 pts and 12.9 rbs a game. The last two games he scored 27pts/18rebs and 29pts/19rebs. Those are huge numbers. I still don't like his passing, but it has improved. Getting a hustle, shot-blocking center that can run the floor well (ehem...Sean Williams) would compliment Zach's skills nicely.

So, should we trade him or keep him? If Donnie still wants to stay with the 2010 plan, trading Crawford and Jeffries would equal trading Zach's salary. I 'm happy Donnie has been patient about moving Zach. At the very least, we will get much more in return then before.

If we do keep Zach, I'm not sure Lee has a place with the Knicks. Lee is going to want big money and want to be a starter. I'm not confident with the Lee/Zach frontcourt. It is too weak on defense.
I also wanted Zach out of here during the off season, but it is obvious that he is one of the best low post scorers and rebounders in the game.

I agree with you that his passing has gotten better. He's also starting to look for open teamates before his shot attempt and he can still force defenders to come out of the paint because they have to respect his jumpshot. His inability to defend the post is a problem, but a nice young defensive minded center would be the answer to the team moving to the next level.

I say keep him as long as he keeps putting up those monster numbers. If we trade him, I would like to at least get a high caliber player in return or an unconditional 1st rd draft pick.

Paul1355

All Star

If Zach stays then Lee definetly goes. Zach is making Lee look like a rookie again by the way Zach has been dominating.

I said early on to keep Zach because he should do well if he just got in shape and had no off the court problems.

We should wait until the deadline and see were our team is at. If Donnie even thinks about moving Zach then we should trade him for a center who can rebound and average atleast a block a game. problem is that Zach provides most of our offense. Losing him takes a chunk out of our team.

Zach is a hard choice now.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If they are trading Curry, then they have to keep Randolph because Lee can not play the 5 spot all the time. The Knicks have a nice groove on right now with Zach and Chandler starting at the 5 and 4 with Lee coming off the bench to play both the 4 and 5 spot. It seems to be a wining formula and breaking that up right now would not be helpful if they are trying to have a good year. If this year is solely for showcasing some of the higher priced players so that they can be traded, then that is a different story and the Knicks need to get back a expiring contract and maybe a draft pick. It looks like the Knicks are close to being a force again and probably 1 or 2 key trades away from being a top 5 or 6 team.

metrocard

Legend
Trade Randolph while he's hot.

We could probably get something more in value than what we GAVE up for him (expiring contract, young prospect)

Clippers
Cavs
Nuggets
Bulls

all show interest in Zach.

Cleveland has nice expiring contracts.
Denver doesn't have much.
Clippers don't have much, unless they give Camby
Bulls have cool trading chips.

What moves would you guys make?

My reason for letting Randolph go now.

Honestly; Randolph does this every season, puts up big numbers; but when the team depends on him; losing begins(see Portland)

Randolph isn't the man we want leading our front court.
No offense to him.

He's played great and his flaws haven't been exposed.

I don't know, how long will he keep this up?
If we had a Williams/Paul quality PG I wouldn't mind Randolph, because he's not that different from the level of David West or Carlos Boozer.

Call it impatient or not, but his value is high; I want this team to take advantage of that.

richtree

Rotation player
Well, there is a major problem with Mikey D's system for the future...

If you watched Dirk killed Chandler anytime he played PF on def.....

he had to bring Lee back in to guard Dirk but it was too late......

If you get rid on Dirk / Lee you have to get someone that can guard bigs., and plann on playing minutes.....

If you wanna trade Zach just to get rid of his contract fine......but now you have to depend on LEE to score and hopefully Jefferfies can play to a high level when he is back?

its a tuff spot for the knicks......

if we dump Zach we are gonna have a hard time outscoring teams....

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Zach Randolph is currently the best player on the Knicks. It would be stupid to trade him.

The Knicks should try to get rid of Eddy Curry, because he's useless and overpaid.

How do you get rid of Eddy Curry? Package Curry with David Lee for some expiring contracts.

Why package him with Lee? Because Lee's contract is up after this year, and it is highly unlikely that we will be able to re-sign him for a reasonable contract.

What will we gain from trading Curry and Lee? Enough capspace to sign a bigtime free agent center.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
The problem was NEVER Randolph's ability even though lots of people were down on him last year.

On the plus side, he works hard on the boards, has a very good instinct for the ball, has a very good inside game, and has enough of an outside game to be a threat and spread the floor. That's a pretty good package for a PF.

On the downside, he's only mediocre defensively because he's not very fast and can't jump well enough to block shots. He also has a tendency to shoot too much from outside at times and hold the ball. The other problem was that he didn't fit with Curry.

When you net it out, he's a very good player, but he's getting a super star salary. He's not a superstar. It's tough to build a championship team when you overpay some of your players by a lot. If he was being paid the correct amount of money, we could certainly add a defensive shot blocking Center at some point (with some other qualities) and have a great front court with Lee/Chandler also. But how do you add pieces when he's so overpaid????

THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't think the Knicks should trade Zach Randolph. The things that he is doing is not something that can be easily replaced. He's grabbing rebounds, shooting jump shots, scoring in the low post, and passing. He's also one of the few players on the Knicks front court that can actually shoot free throws.

Zach Randolph's hot streak is very different from Eddy Curry and Channing Frye's hot streaks. Eddy Curry only had a lay up and dunk. Channing Frye only had a jump shot. Randolph is doing lay ups, jump shots, hook shots, free throws, and rebounds. Zach Randolph is a top 10 power forward.

I think the Knicks should try to get rid of Eddy Curry. The Heat are in need of a center. The Knicks should try to exploit their needs.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I think we have to trade him.

The problem was NEVER really Randolph's ability even though lots of people were down on him last year. It was that he didn't fit with Curry at all and is overpaid.

On the plus side, he works hard on the boards, has a very good instinct for the ball, has a very good inside game, and has enough of an outside game to be a scoring threat and spread the floor. That's a pretty good package for a PF.

On the downside, he's only mediocre defensively because he's not very fast and can't jump well enough to block shots. He also has a tendency to shoot too much from outside at times and hold the ball.

When you net it out, he's a very good player, but he's getting a super star salary. He's not a superstar. It's tough to build a championship team when you overpay some of your players by a lot. If he was being paid the correct amount of money, we could certainly add a defensive shot blocking Center at some point (with some other qualities) and have a great front court with Lee/Chandler also. But how do you add pieces when he's so overpaid????

THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!
<!-- / message -->

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think we have to trade him.

The problem was NEVER really Randolph's ability even though lots of people were down on him last year. It was that he didn't fit with Curry at all and is overpaid.

On the plus side, he works hard on the boards, has a very good instinct for the ball, has a very good inside game, and has enough of an outside game to be a scoring threat and spread the floor. That's a pretty good package for a PF.
<!-- / message -->

I disagree, and I'll tell you why.

In order to become a championship team, you have to first become a playoff team. The Knicks haven't made the playoffs in almost 5 years. Zach Randolph has playoff experience from when he was a Trailblazer. He's capable of helping the team win, if you have a shotblocking center for him to play alongside, in the front court.

David Lee is good, but the Knicks are well over the salary cap. The Knicks are most likely not going to be able to re-sign him for the contract that he's looking for. Lee's contract expires after this year, so if you trade Randolph, you run the risk of losing two power forwards, if you are unable to re-sign Lee.

Toons

is the Bo$$
zach is not a superstar?

well, he sure is playing like one, and that is all that defines a superstar. the way he plays.

should you keep a 21 n 13 guy?
should orlando keep dwight howard?

zach randolph ranks 2nd in the league in double doubles
3rd in rebounds
20th in points
shooting above 80% from the line
shooting his best 3pt% of his career at over 30%
averaging over 1 steal per game
and increased his point and rebound totals by 3 pts respectively

this question is more of a no brainer.....OF COURSE WE KEEP ZACH!
imagine him dominating at his true position at pf....

right now, zach is outplaying carlos boozer and many other big name big men. and boozer only averages 0.5 bpg, zach 0.4....zach is doin better, we need to move the black hole label from him. he is the best and most consistent knick so far.

richtree

Rotation player
I agree with ABCD ....

Plus we could get another guy like Lee in the 2nd round of the Draft....

energy, rebounds , and a 12 ft Jumper.,

that is , if we have a 2nd round pick., i forget after all the dumb movie Zeke pulled...

word

-richtree

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Zach Randolph is currently the best player on the Knicks. It would be stupid to trade him.

The Knicks should try to get rid of Eddy Curry, because he's useless and overpaid.

How do you get rid of Eddy Curry? Package Curry with David Lee for some expiring contracts.

Why package him with Lee? Because Lee's contract is up after this year, and it is highly unlikely that we will be able to re-sign him for a reasonable contract.

What will we gain from trading Curry and Lee? Enough capspace to sign a bigtime free agent center.

pretty much

Toons

is the Bo$$
yeah, cosign abcd, think about it, if zach goes now, we downgrade to lee. lee is a good backup....he has ye to step to the plate and put up zach randolph numbers

WiL8000

Rotation player
I don't think we should get rid of Randolph now. He's playing better than we could have imagined in D'Antoni's system and his trade value is certainly increasing.

If anything his trade value will be even better after the season is over, at that time make a move if it's a worthwhile trade.

Curry should be traded this season though. He most likely will never fit into the rotation and will be easier to trade than Jerome James. Unfortunately the Knicks will probably have to trade David Lee to make that happen as abcd stated before.

I'd certainly like to have Malik Rose, Jerome James, Collins, even Q-Rich moved somehow but can't dream up a scenario in which that can happen.

JayJ44

Starter
We have to trade him eventually. Having him on our roster in 2010 virtually eliminates any chance of signing a free agent such as Lebron, Wade, Bosh etc. I don't think there's any rush to it though, he's really our only consistent offensive threat now. Unless some team offers us some incredible deal, I think we should wait till the trade deadline. Teams panic around that time if they're not doing as well as they think they would. Maybe a team would panic and give us a nice deal for Z-Bo.