Become A Better Basketball Player

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
Now i know most of you probably play basketball seeing how your a knick fan an all. Me i personally love basketball and started playing it in 6th grade made my first shot and never let go of the ball since. Ofcourse i was a NOOB when i first started playing...i shot with to hands dribbled with my head down and only drove to my right side since i am a righty. As time went on i realized more and more of my mistakes by loosing and loosing...especially to my brother. Hes kinda huge so every shot i took on him he would literally block them. Im 5'7 and hes only 6 feet but he has something for blocking shots...ive seen him block alot. The more he blocked me and zipped me the more i became aggravated with my game. SOOOOOOOOOOOO i practiced like any normal athlete. The more I practiced and played the mre i realized on what to change about my game. Lil by lil i scored more and more on my brother. This summer though playing basketball everyday helped me out because well...i beat him...3 times straight and another 2 times the next day. Now this thread is mainly to help eachother out on becoming a better basketball player. I did some things that REALLY changed how i played ball...SIMPLE tips but it really worked for me might work for you

*PLAY HARD DEFENSE...now i know sometimes you just play those Allen Iverson type kids good crossovers and FAST...well i went to a all black school and not to be liek racist in any way but most of them were like that...FAST and REALLY good crossovers...me being not the tallest guy out there i always had to face the point guards...i faced people with such good crossovers and such speed that i got better in defending them...i was ALWAYS told to guard there best players even tall people...BUT when it comes to those lil fast guys with nice ball moves just STAY with them. DO NOT look at the ball but instead look at there HIP...yes there hip it is much easier to follow that then there hands or ball...and just stay in front of him...annoy him dont let him drive just keep him outside and infront of him dont go for steals NOTHING just stay with him and in front of him and put your hand up when they shoot..ey i made 15pt guys score only like 5

*BE AGGRESSIVE...i know i know you hear this everywhere but it works...but what i mean by being aggressive is by dont be scared of a big man in the lane dont be scared to get your shot blocked...go in the lane and when you are in there PROTECT THE BALL. ALWAYS keep your head up as well cause you will be surprised how many people you will find open...but when driving inside when in the foul line area full speed grab the ball and squeeze your way in the lane...i never get the ball stripped nothing...i watched manu do it with ease and i do it with ease as well...and when in the lane simply make the layup aggressively and not scared of the big man trying to block your shot...ALSO a good REALLY good tip...i got this from Steve Nash when driving and theres a man to the side of you...push off of him and lay it up...so basically if hes on your left ball on the right with your left hand push off of him dont push him but like just push off of him like make your body go the opposite direction of his and just lay it up with your right or left which ever side your doing this in...he will have NO WAY of blocking you or touching the ball at all...its hard to understand but watch steve nash he does it alot...only way he can stop you if he pushes...if he does...call the foul :D lol

*NEVER change your shooting style if your shots go in with a certain style...no matter HOW stupid it may look if it goes in....keep shooting in the style...me i have a hard time staying with on style -_- do not know why but i always keep changing it up but if you make thme shooting a certain style keep it...also try out different ways you may never know if your a shooter like kobe or dirk. When shooting look at the front of the RIM...right in the front look at it when you shoot...i tried it and it went in most of the time...do not know why but it works it really does.If you want that power in your wrist to shoot really far shots with nice rotation and straight shots lay down i knwo youve heard it but lay down on the floor and shoot the basketball up in the air and let it land in your face...well do not let it land ON your face but get it before it does...do 100 of these and only count the ones that land in the face area cause it will make your shots nice and straight and you will feel it...well i did anyways

*One more lil thing...FAKE...fake as much as you can...to a lil head fake to a stoping in the lane fake layup...fakes work SO good its nto even funny...i get so many people jumping that it just makes it so easy...fake a drive make a jab step a HARD one though not a sissy one cause those never work...like one that really looks liek your about to just speed off and your opponent will fall for it...fake passes while driving look at one of your teammates as if your about to pass...just fake ...but dont over do it...just get better at faking think about good fakes and you should be getting people jumping

I am no coach or nothing but those are SIMPLE tips that worked for me...might not work for you but try em see how it goes...and remember be aggressive play tough defense and ALWAYS keep your head up

Post up your tips and see how much people you can help out :thumbsup:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
i play.....good tips. Your writing has improved a lot since you first joined (no offense). I changed the way i shoot. I used to have a lower release, like shawn marion but not as bad. Now i got a high release and i shoot better with it. I get more space to get my shot off, because i cant jump that good and i barely jump when i shoot.

I agree with what you said about playin defense. Look at the hips, not the eyes (no homo). Another thing is you gotta watch out for upfakes. Just keep your hands up and dont go for them. Force them to the weak hand, and try your best to stay squared up between your opponent and the hoop. I always guard the best player on the other team. Im known for my defense. The important thing is just being a pain in the ass and smotherin your opponent. Get a hand in their face everytime they shoot. Unfortunately once a good shooter gets going their impossible to stop, so do your best to not allow them to make a couple of continuous shots. Dont even let them get the ball. Ball denial....and play the passing lanes.

metrocard

Legend
im guessing he dosent know much about actually playing basketball -_-...anyone in this forum ACTUALLY play?

I'm saying, these teaching cues aren't good and mad elementary.
And you'll get your flaco ass busted up uno vs uno, come to Draddy Gym @ Manhattan College and play with some men instead of children.. (I'll get you in with no ID).
I play hard, Ron Artest south bronx style bball, none of that faking soft shit.
My ***** dislocated his shoulder last week from playing full court.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I get real mad when someone calls a foul....i almost fought this kid because i was defendin him the same way i defend everyone else. He kept callin fouls on me. I told him to get that shit outta here. He didnt want none :lol: That boy was scared

jpz17

Starter
i play intermeral.....(can't spell that stupid word, never could..) and I used to play varsity/junior varsity..I'm a decent 2/3.. Sick at threes.. don't play msgs style too much though.. haha, not a fan of it, just like the shooting and dunking in other guy's face..

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
I'm saying, these teaching cues aren't good and mad elementary.
And you'll get your flaco ass busted up uno vs uno, come to Draddy Gym @ Manhattan College and play with some men instead of children.. (I'll get you in with no ID).
I play hard, Ron Artest south bronx style bball, none of that faking soft shit.
My ***** dislocated his shoulder last week from playing full court.
im down bro and yea i know like i said SIMPLE shyt but it helps me...ALOT...im not all fancy and shyt well KIND off but seriously this simple shyt can actually inprove your game ALOT...well youll know how to play atleast by doing these things and dont worry i dont play like no puss everyone i play with dosent play like that...who calls fouls out on parks? lol i almost got a broken nose once cause some dick jumped into my head -_- i go for a fake instead of him going back he rushes foward -_- its w.e though and dont worry man i dont beleive much in fouls...no fun

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
i play intermeral.....(can't spell that stupid word, never could..) and I used to play varsity/junior varsity..I'm a decent 2/3.. Sick at threes.. don't play msgs style too much though.. haha, not a fan of it, just like the shooting and dunking in other guy's face..

damn, you can dunk?

*gets jealous*

*signs off*

*dunks on a 8 foot hoop*