Marbury Refuses to Play AGAIN

Red

TYPE-A
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THIS TURKEY
Comments: 5Read CommentsLeave a Comment

UP TO NOTHING: Stephon Marbury looks on passively from the bench during a timeout in last night's 110-96 Knicks loss to the Pistons in Auburn Hills, Mich. Sources say Marbury refused to play for the second time in the past week when asked by coach Mike D'Antoni.

Last updated: 4:01 am
November 27, 2008
Posted: 1:45 am
November 27, 2008

LISTEN, we've all been where Stephon Marburyis, OK? We've all had bosses we didn't get along with. We've all worked for people who, in our view, treated us miserably, with disrespect, without a care for our feelings or emotions.

And you know what?

In our world, in the real world, we have two options when things reach a point close to intolerable. We either keep our mouths shut, grind through life one miserable eight-hour shift at a time, come home and pound our fists against the walls. Or we quit.

KNICKS BLOG

We'd all like to take the third option, which doesn't exist in any precinct of the real world, the option where we choose insolence and insubordination and aren't asked to pay consequences for taking that path. But in our world, in the real world, that isn't an option. It was Johnny Paycheck who summed up perfectly the laments of workers everywhere, for all time.

Most of us just stick to singing "Take This Job and Shove It."

We don't actually say it. Last night, for the second time in a week - and for what has to be, has to be, the last time in his career as a Knick - Marbury was asked to suit up and play after spending the season decked out in street clothes, inactive - and, according to two sources, he refused.

Last week, in Milwaukee, Marbury tried to spin the story differently than Mike D'Antoni did, claimed the opportunity that night wasn't as clear cut and obvious as D'Antoni said it was. It was difficult to give Marbury the benefit of the doubt then, because he hasn't exactly built a firm wall of credibility in his time in New York.

It is impossible to do so now, because he did it again, because he turned down what amounts to an olive branch from D'Antoni that couldn't have been easy for the coach to extend, the opportunity to be the Knicks' starting shooting guard the rest of the season.

D'Antoni believed it was the best way to salvage what had devolved into a hideous situation: The guard-strapped Knicks would add a former All-Star to their rotation, and Marbury could prove to the eyes of league scouts that he still had enough game left for one last contract. He tried to make win-win out of lose-lose.

This was Marbury's final chance to seize any swatch of high ground in this debate, and in his Knick career. Marbury never has been the perfect soldier as a Knick, not even close.

Still, as wonderful as it has been to see D'Antoni's work under trying times here so far, as gratifying as it is to see a professional working the sidelines on game night, it's hard to believe he could have handled this Marbury situation any worse, waiting until opening night to define Marbury's role - or lack of it - with the team.

Fair enough.

Here's the thing, though: Whether Marbury likes it, D'Antoni is his boss, regardless of the fact that he'll make about $16 million more than the coach this year. Maybe Marbury just got used to being able to rule Isiah Thomas' playground, stomping his feet until he got whatever he wanted, or maybe this is simply the sad climax of a coddled athlete who's been irretrievably enabled going all the way back to Lincoln High.

Whatever. This is the end. This is the final straw, the straw that breaks forever whatever emotional, ethereal ties Marbury has to the Knicks, and the Knicks to Marbury.

Donnie Walsh has to act quickly and firmly, needs to fine Marbury for every game he refuses to play, needs to expedite making him an ex-Knick. Enough is enough.

The Knicks are desperately trying to move on, to limp into their future, to patch something credible between now and July 1, 2010.

They need to shed this albatross in order to make it happen. It's time. It's past time. It's beyond past time.

Damn Marbury, you wanna play ball or play games? If Marbs or anybody else doesn't want to be here let em' go!

And why is everyone so critical of the season? I see dudes tracking stats, comparing players, saying fire D'Antoni etc... I mean I know we're fans but damn...get a grip. You know what's up. The next best things we have to look forward to are:

1. More trades or roster moves (Marbury, Curry, James etc...)
2. Draft Picks and acquisitions
3. 2010

*Remaining competitive is a bonus but AS WE'VE SEEN THE PAST 10YRS unless we have real talent, nucleus, maybe a real big man we will be inconsistent. Notice I didn't put "winning" as something to look forward to. Stop fooling yourself!

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Don't drop the topic. This is new news since this is the second game that Marbury refused to play. He's become a sad pathetic selfish player. Not only should he be fined for this game but the last he refused to play and every other game this season. No trades, let him play or rot on the bench for the remainder of the year.

SpursFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Walsh can decide to fine him for refusing to play can't he? I think they either need to do that if they really want him to play or just release him. There's no team out there that would accept him in a trade with his contract being what it is and his personality being what it is.

Kiyaman

Legend
Happy Thanks Giving to all!

The embarrasing Donnie Walsh Knicks with his protege coach Dantoni.
I heard of players dividing the Lockerroom....but this is the first time I witness the dividing of a teams fans.
The Hatebury Fans want Marbury to play and bring some Knick Wins.
The Marbury-Fans feel the Preseason performance of accepting to be a bench-player and the humiliation of the DNP's at the start of the season feel trade or buy-out Marbury.

Marbury is not in our Plans! :teeth:

Should Marbury suit-up and perform for a team that reminded him everyday publically that he is not in any of their plans?
Half of the Knick-Fans say, "Hell No!"
the other half of the Knick-Fans say, "Hell Yes!".
Which of the Fans are you?

The Knick schedule reads consecutive blowout losses to the Knicks with the roster of players used vs the Cavs and Pistons.
If Donnie Walsh knew or had plans of trading Crawful early in the season should'nt he had warned coach Dantoni to use another explanation for DNP Marbury instead of "Marbury is not in this teams plans", when in reality Crawful & Zach are the ones that are not in the Knicks Plans.
This is all Donnie Walsh doing for not being on the same page with Dantoni...

knicklover

Benchwarmer
At this point, they may not even want Marbury in Italy or anywhere in Europe anymore. He's destroying whatever hope he had of signing more than a very small 1 year deal with a desperate team. His career is rapidly moving to the point of no return.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Steph has already expressed that he isn't going to play under Mike 'D, drop the topic-

my boy really does not like ppl bad mouthin steph

so drop it lol
hahaha

i rememebr when akamu cam in.,,,,humble as a lamb...from ur first few posts, i never knew u were so hung high on marbury....

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Lol, this is coming from one of the guys that hates the Starbury wars, how ironic-
Pay attention Jr.

Kiyaman said:
Happy Thanks Giving to all!

The embarrasing Donnie Walsh Knicks with his protege coach Dantoni.
I heard of players dividing the Lockerroom....but this is the first time I witness the dividing of a teams fans.
The Hatebury Fans want Marbury to play and bring some Knick Wins.
The Marbury-Fans feel the Preseason performance of accepting to be a bench-player and the humiliation of the DNP's at the start of the season feel trade or buy-out Marbury.

Marbury is not in our Plans!

Should Marbury suit-up and perform for a team that reminded him everyday publically that he is not in any of their plans?
Half of the Knick-Fans say, "Hell No!"
the other half of the Knick-Fans say, "Hell Yes!".
Which of the Fans are you?

The Knick schedule reads consecutive blowout losses to the Knicks with the roster of players used vs the Cavs and Pistons.
If Donnie Walsh knew or had plans of trading Crawful early in the season should'nt he had warned coach Dantoni to use another explanation for DNP Marbury instead of "Marbury is not in this teams plans", when in reality Crawful & Zach are the ones that are not in the Knicks Plans.
This is all Donnie Walsh doing for not being on the same page with Dantoni...

Although I disagree with this position there's no need for me to start a war of words. We can respectfully debate the points. No need for gay photo insults. Maybe in the world of fans it's ok not to do the job you're paid for when your little feelings are hurt, but in the real world that doesn't cut it. It's not like we're going to stop paying him when he doesn't play (not a bad idea to form contracts on merit) and to add injury to insult, Marbury keeps saying 'I'll play if they want me to play'? WTF?

I don't think Knicks fans are split in half. Maybe this is a moot point but I think some fans didn't agree with D'Antoni's decision to bench Marbury to begin with, and that's fair, but you'll be hard pressed to find a Knicks fan that isn't riding Marbury and is fair minded that thinks it's ok to refuse to play because of how the season started. D'Antoni has probably the toughest job in all of sports. He has to make this team competitive night in and night out while loosing his best players for the sake of clearing cap space. That's got to be discouraging at times, but it's essential. This was made clear to D'Antoni when he was hired. Not sure why you think that he and Walsh aren't on the same page.

Akamu

The King
The start of the season Starbury was benched, I wasn't happy about it but I got pasted that.

Then these big trades came up, I saw this as an opportunity for Starbury to come out and shine, I was happy thinking he would pick up the ball and become the unstoppable force.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case and I was deeply dissapointed.

BUT...

I won't hold it against him for not playing because he became the poster child of the Knicks which isn't right.

Starbury > Chris Duhon At the point
Starbury > Jamal Crawful At the two
Starbury > Q-Bytch all day everyday

Q-Snitch wasn't benched and has favoritism playing on his side. He's doing all this talking without putting himself in Starbury's shoes-

Toons

is the Bo$$
The start of the season Starbury was benched, I wasn't happy about it but I got pasted that.

Then these big trades came up, I saw this as an opportunity for Starbury to come out and shine, I was happy thinking he would pick up the ball and become the unstoppable force.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case and I was deeply dissapointed.

BUT...

I won't hold it against him for not playing because he became the poster child of the Knicks which isn't right.

Starbury > Chris Duhon At the point
Starbury > Jamal Crawful At the two
Starbury > Q-Bytch all day everyday

Q-Snitch wasn't benched and has favoritism playing on his side. He's doing all this talking without putting himself in Starbury's shoes-

dude, ur acting like steph is HOF material. Marbury's name will never be mentioned withthe likes of a lebron james, dwight howard or kobe bryant....those are unstopable forces....NOT BITCHBURY....this isnt his first, second or 3rd chance.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
From a human standpoint, I understand what Marbury's doing: he's pissed and wants to get back at them, for treating him like crap and using him as a scapegoat. If he were a saint, or a Ghandi type figure, I would expect him to do the right thing, which is to sacrifice his dignity, which is all he's been left with, after being jerked around, for his teammates' sake. Because he has a guaranteed contract, he doesn't feel compelled to do what he's told, an option most of us don't have.

However, to compare his reaction to that of a regular, blue collar, person is not legitimate, because the dynamics of the situation are completely different. Do you think a blue collar person would take abuse from his or her boss, if he or she had a guarantee of money, or another job, from the government or some other entity? We're comparing apples and oranges, if we try to compare Marbury to John Q. Public. If you want to create a situation that would much more closely look like Marbury's, you'd have to suspend him without pay, until he decided to comply with the team's demands on him.

A good analogy would be one from my profession, teaching. Many people believe we're untouchable and have no incentive to do a better job (since many believe we're doing a disservice to our WONDERFUL pupils). The fact is that we are, and have been, dispensable, to those in power, who are the real culprits, when it comes to the disgrace seen in our schools. I've seen teachers strike, contest administrations, go to their unions for appeals and grievances, or just plain lose it. Marbury, though he's much wealthier, is approaching the situation with that sort of mindset.

Even if you look at Q-Snitch's statement, he never mentions money, when he bad-mouths his own teammate, publicly. Instead, what he mentions is "sticking it to management," "sucking it up," etc. Personally, in that regard, I'm similar to Marbury. If I feel I'm being screwed, by a supervisor, it affects my performance at work. With Marbury, work is playing basketball, and I think his faith in others' respect for him is gone, which is why he feels unable to function within his role.

If the team really wants to solve the situation, they need to have an interventionary approach, where they sit Marbury down, make some sort of arrangement, where he'll play his contract out. If that's not possible, they should waive him. Yet another possibility would be for the Knicks to hire an agent to find a contract for Marbury, after which the Knicks would waive him (for the difference of the contract), so that he could go on to sign on with a new team.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THIS TURKEY
Comments: 5Read CommentsLeave a Comment

UP TO NOTHING: Stephon Marbury looks on passively from the bench during a timeout in last night's 110-96 Knicks loss to the Pistons in Auburn Hills, Mich. Sources say Marbury refused to play for the second time in the past week when asked by coach Mike D'Antoni.

Last updated: 4:01 am
November 27, 2008
Posted: 1:45 am
November 27, 2008

LISTEN, we've all been where Stephon Marburyis, OK? We've all had bosses we didn't get along with. We've all worked for people who, in our view, treated us miserably, with disrespect, without a care for our feelings or emotions.

And you know what?

In our world, in the real world, we have two options when things reach a point close to intolerable. We either keep our mouths shut, grind through life one miserable eight-hour shift at a time, come home and pound our fists against the walls. Or we quit.

KNICKS BLOG

We'd all like to take the third option, which doesn't exist in any precinct of the real world, the option where we choose insolence and insubordination and aren't asked to pay consequences for taking that path. But in our world, in the real world, that isn't an option. It was Johnny Paycheck who summed up perfectly the laments of workers everywhere, for all time.

Most of us just stick to singing "Take This Job and Shove It."

We don't actually say it. Last night, for the second time in a week - and for what has to be, has to be, the last time in his career as a Knick - Marbury was asked to suit up and play after spending the season decked out in street clothes, inactive - and, according to two sources, he refused.

Last week, in Milwaukee, Marbury tried to spin the story differently than Mike D'Antoni did, claimed the opportunity that night wasn't as clear cut and obvious as D'Antoni said it was. It was difficult to give Marbury the benefit of the doubt then, because he hasn't exactly built a firm wall of credibility in his time in New York.

It is impossible to do so now, because he did it again, because he turned down what amounts to an olive branch from D'Antoni that couldn't have been easy for the coach to extend, the opportunity to be the Knicks' starting shooting guard the rest of the season.

D'Antoni believed it was the best way to salvage what had devolved into a hideous situation: The guard-strapped Knicks would add a former All-Star to their rotation, and Marbury could prove to the eyes of league scouts that he still had enough game left for one last contract. He tried to make win-win out of lose-lose.

This was Marbury's final chance to seize any swatch of high ground in this debate, and in his Knick career. Marbury never has been the perfect soldier as a Knick, not even close.

Still, as wonderful as it has been to see D'Antoni's work under trying times here so far, as gratifying as it is to see a professional working the sidelines on game night, it's hard to believe he could have handled this Marbury situation any worse, waiting until opening night to define Marbury's role - or lack of it - with the team.

Fair enough.

Here's the thing, though: Whether Marbury likes it, D'Antoni is his boss, regardless of the fact that he'll make about $16 million more than the coach this year. Maybe Marbury just got used to being able to rule Isiah Thomas' playground, stomping his feet until he got whatever he wanted, or maybe this is simply the sad climax of a coddled athlete who's been irretrievably enabled going all the way back to Lincoln High.

Whatever. This is the end. This is the final straw, the straw that breaks forever whatever emotional, ethereal ties Marbury has to the Knicks, and the Knicks to Marbury.

Donnie Walsh has to act quickly and firmly, needs to fine Marbury for every game he refuses to play, needs to expedite making him an ex-Knick. Enough is enough.

The Knicks are desperately trying to move on, to limp into their future, to patch something credible between now and July 1, 2010.

They need to shed this albatross in order to make it happen. It's time. It's past time. It's beyond past time.

Damn Marbury, you wanna play ball or play games? If Marbs or anybody else doesn't want to be here let em' go!

And why is everyone so critical of the season? I see dudes tracking stats, comparing players, saying fire D'Antoni etc... I mean I know we're fans but damn...get a grip. You know what's up. The next best things we have to look forward to are:

1. More trades or roster moves (Marbury, Curry, James etc...)
2. Draft Picks and acquisitions
3. 2010

*Remaining competitive is a bonus but AS WE'VE SEEN THE PAST 10YRS unless we have real talent, nucleus, maybe a real big man we will be inconsistent. Notice I didn't put "winning" as something to look forward to. Stop fooling yourself!

Yo, Red, you've gotta cite your sources, man. I was reading articles, online, and I saw that a guy named Mike Vaccaro wrote this piece. You just pasted it on here and added your own sentences, where you felt you wanted to add emphasis. You should have just written your own piece or linked the article to your post, so we could have read it in its original context.

KBlack25

Starter
Yo, Red, you've gotta cite your sources, man. I was reading articles, online, and I saw that a guy named Mike Vaccaro wrote this piece. You just pasted it on here and added your own sentences, where you felt you wanted to add emphasis. You should have just written your own piece or linked the article to your post, so we could have read it in its original context.

Yeah dude that's pretty bad plagiarism, you should watch it and at least give people credit for their work.