Thread: Stephon Marbury Suspended

Hybrid View

Default Stephon Marbury Suspended

From realgm.com via ESPN.com:

"For his apparent refusal to play in Detroit, the Knicks have suspended Stephon Marbury without pay. Marbury has also been told to stay away from the team, at least until Monday.

"A player's central obligation is to provide his professional services when called upon," Donnie Walsh said in announcing the suspension. "Because [Marbury] refused the coach's request to play in the team's last game, we had no choice but to impose disciplinary action."

With Marbury sent home, the Knicks will try to determine the next course of action. Further fines and suspensions are possible; the team could continue discussions on a buyout; or the Knicks may simply decide to tell Marbury to stay home, pay him his remaining salary, and keep him on the roster until he is traded or released.

"We feel the discipline imposed by the Knicks is baseless," said Hal Biagas of the National Basketball Players Association. "We plan to file a grievance."

Marbury gave an extended interview with the New York Post.
    "We need to separate from the relationship," he said. "The marriage is over. It's a done deal."

About Mike D'Antoni, Marbury said, "I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog across the street.""

Thoughts?

KnicksonLIN.com

Donnie Walsh is dying to find a way to take Marbury's money. Marbuy needs to take a 15 million dollar buyout and go to a contender for the other 6 million.

It's time for both sides to move on.

Someone has to explain the mathematics of buyouts to Marbury because he doesn't have an agent to do that. Once he understands that he's not going to get his full Knick salary because he will be able to negotiate another salary with his new team, they can work out the details.

aha fined 1/110 of his salary, or 400 k...hey at least its something...i'll really be amazed if some team trys to acquire this guy this year, for any amount..

marbury is only hurting his own situation, guy is too stuborn to realize the bigger picter

KnicksonLIN.com

Marbury needs to take a buyout and go to a contender. Anyone with half a brain knows that all he has to do is go to the Celtics or Lakers, and he'll win an instant championship.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by datruth
    marbury is only hurting his own situation, guy is too stuborn to realize the bigger picter
    That is?

Veteran

Originally Posted by knicklover
    It's time for both sides to move on.

Someone has to explain the mathematics of buyouts to Marbury because he doesn't have an agent to do that. Once he understands that he's not going to get his full Knick salary because he will be able to negotiate another salary with his new team, they can work out the details.
    'towel-head' fully understands the buyout... he does not want to discount his contract... and while i never had much use for him as a player... i agree with him... a contract is a contract... if u want to be rid of me... pay me in full and adios...

Originally Posted by paris401
    'towel-head' fully understands the buyout... he does not want to discount his contract... and while i never had much use for him as a player... i agree with him... a contract is a contract... if u want to be rid of me... pay me in full and adios...
    It NEVER EVER works that way with rational, reasonable, and professional human beings (of course maybe Marbuy doesn't fit into that category).

They calculate the present value of your contract (since you get the money up front and can earn interest right away you get a little less) and also subtract the value of your new contract.

That way, the player gets every penny he is entitled to and the team gets a discount because they don't get his services, the new team gets them.

Some players will accept even less in order to sign with a specific team, specific city etc.... but no one gets full value of their contract and then signs another contract and makes even more money.

Ive followed Pacers a lot during Walsh era, and one thing i can say - he deals with 'cancers' around February deadline. Artest is a good example.
    Deadline is when lottery teams show up and look for expiring deals.
    Last edited by rollingstone; Dec 01, 2008 at 15:30.

Nyk Logo Marbury is a jerk

Instead of fining him for refusing to play, the Knicks should pay him the whole $22 million and waive him, but break both of his hands into a thousand pieces with a bowling ball so he cannot play for someone else on our dime.