Stephon Marbury Suspended

KBlack25

Starter
From realgm.com via ESPN.com:

"For his apparent refusal to play in Detroit, the Knicks have suspended Stephon Marbury without pay. Marbury has also been told to stay away from the team, at least until Monday.

"A player's central obligation is to provide his professional services when called upon," Donnie Walsh said in announcing the suspension. "Because [Marbury] refused the coach's request to play in the team's last game, we had no choice but to impose disciplinary action."

With Marbury sent home, the Knicks will try to determine the next course of action. Further fines and suspensions are possible; the team could continue discussions on a buyout; or the Knicks may simply decide to tell Marbury to stay home, pay him his remaining salary, and keep him on the roster until he is traded or released.

"We feel the discipline imposed by the Knicks is baseless," said Hal Biagas of the National Basketball Players Association. "We plan to file a grievance."

Marbury gave an extended interview with the New York Post.
"We need to separate from the relationship," he said. "The marriage is over. It's a done deal."

About Mike D'Antoni, Marbury said, "I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog across the street.""

Thoughts?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Donnie Walsh is dying to find a way to take Marbury's money. Marbuy needs to take a 15 million dollar buyout and go to a contender for the other 6 million.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
It's time for both sides to move on.

Someone has to explain the mathematics of buyouts to Marbury because he doesn't have an agent to do that. Once he understands that he's not going to get his full Knick salary because he will be able to negotiate another salary with his new team, they can work out the details.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
aha fined 1/110 of his salary, or 400 k...hey at least its something...i'll really be amazed if some team trys to acquire this guy this year, for any amount..:crossfingers:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Marbury needs to take a buyout and go to a contender. Anyone with half a brain knows that all he has to do is go to the Celtics or Lakers, and he'll win an instant championship.

jpz17

Starter
what if the knicks traded him and said they would pay for say 15 million of his contract? then we get a guy worth 5 or 6 mil that expires

KBlack25

Starter
what if the knicks traded him and said they would pay for say 15 million of his contract? then we get a guy worth 5 or 6 mil that expires

I'm not exactly sure how the contract rules differ in the NBA, I suppose they could do it but there might be some obscure cap restriction that would make it un-doable, because the idea seems to be correctly placed. I've often wondered this too, but it seems that if it was doable it would've been done already, no? Unless there are no takers...

KBlack25

Starter
I'm not entirely sure like I said, it would make sense. But maybe the new CBA requires complete buyouts (that is, a void of the contract). I'm not sure, it would make sense but I feel like that would've been done already...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Can Not Get Around the Cap-Killing Contracts

The CBA is more complicated than the Internal Revenue Code and there are fewer loopholes.

If Marbury is bought out/waived -- no matter what the number -- the Knicks cap space is still stuck at the $21.9M amount of his 2008-09 contract. There is a small reduction if he signs with someone else after he is bought out/waived, but that reduction is a fraction of the $1.2M veteran's minmum. I thought it was half of it, $600,000.00, but I have read in some reports that it is only one-quarter, $300,000.00. The Knicks can not pay part of Marbury's contract and take back the difference in someone else's contract.

Unless the other team has plenty of cap space, Marbury can not be traded without the Knicks taking back essentially the equivalent of Marbury's salary in other contracts. And the team to which Marbury is traded takes on his full $21.9M salary as part of its cap. But rest assured, no team is going to do that.

Hahn's article today stated that the Knicks can not simply send Marbury home to sit out the season without his approval. I assume the statement is based on some CBA provision.

I think Marbury's stubbornness is going to force Dolan's hand and the Knicks will eat his entire contract. They can not have him around and Marbury knows that. I am not sure this stubbornness will endear Marbury to his possible future employers.

paris401

Starter
It's time for both sides to move on.

Someone has to explain the mathematics of buyouts to Marbury because he doesn't have an agent to do that. Once he understands that he's not going to get his full Knick salary because he will be able to negotiate another salary with his new team, they can work out the details.

'towel-head' fully understands the buyout... he does not want to discount his contract... and while i never had much use for him as a player... i agree with him... a contract is a contract... if u want to be rid of me... pay me in full and adios...

knicklover

Benchwarmer
'towel-head' fully understands the buyout... he does not want to discount his contract... and while i never had much use for him as a player... i agree with him... a contract is a contract... if u want to be rid of me... pay me in full and adios...

It NEVER EVER works that way with rational, reasonable, and professional human beings (of course maybe Marbuy doesn't fit into that category).

They calculate the present value of your contract (since you get the money up front and can earn interest right away you get a little less) and also subtract the value of your new contract.

That way, the player gets every penny he is entitled to and the team gets a discount because they don't get his services, the new team gets them.

Some players will accept even less in order to sign with a specific team, specific city etc.... but no one gets full value of their contract and then signs another contract and makes even more money.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Ive followed Pacers a lot during Walsh era, and one thing i can say - he deals with 'cancers' around February deadline. Artest is a good example.
Deadline is when lottery teams show up and look for expiring deals.

Last edited:

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Marbury is a jerk

Instead of fining him for refusing to play, the Knicks should pay him the whole $22 million and waive him, but break both of his hands into a thousand pieces with a bowling ball so he cannot play for someone else on our dime.

tiger0330

Legend
I am not sure this stubbornness will endear Marbury to his possible future employers.
Cosigned, remember Bonzi Wells, he is out of the league even though he had a pretty good post game. Guy had a terrible rep for being fat and lazy, your rep precedes you and it might happen with Starbury. Team chemistry is more important than individual stats, any coach will tell you that and Marbury is a chemistry killer.

Starks

Starter
Jamal Tinsley hasn't said a word all season. Why isn't anyone saying that he is getting a raw deal?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Jamal Tinsley hasn't said a word all season. Why isn't anyone saying that he is getting a raw deal?
I like Jamaal Tinsley(no homo). He's a good point guard. The Pacers are doing him dirty, just like Marbury. People say he's a cancer, but I don't know why. I've seen him play on the Pacers, and he doesn't look like a cancer to me. He had a good playoff series, a few years ago. I think it was against the Celtics, but I'm not sure.

KBlack25

Starter

I was actually on pacersonline.com's forums and there is a team called "Team Tinsley" and it's full of the most self-obsessed, self-absorbed Pacers fans who write total bullshit that has no basis in reality at all (like this one guy wxyz) and then post boxing videos and for some reason they claim they win arguments by their own volition despite not proving anything at all. Glad we don't have a group of idiots like that around here. Oh wait...