Stephon Marbury Rips D'Antoni, Knicks

1:Those bums don't have any relevance in the league, that's why they can't make it a circus. They suck, while Steph is the highest paid, and most talented. Duh.

2:I'll point out that Walsh and D'amphony are supposed to be on the same page, why would Wals say that everyone had a clean slate if D'amphony didn't agree?

3:I believe Steph is getting a really raw deal. He came ready to play, even though he probably knew he'd get traded or just let go at the end of the year. I highly doubt he thought if he got into the best shape of his life, that he'd be inactive. And the way this situation has broken down , I tend to side with Steph because D'amphony is a liar.

This is getting old.

1. Does it matter that they are not the calabur player's that Starbury is? They are in the same boat as Starbury (not playing, not going to play, being inactivated and then only activated when the team needs bodies on the roster...... and still not playing) are they crying over it?
2. AGAIN WHO SAID IT???? NOT COACH!
3. You can choose to believe whoever you want to on this one chief...... just think about it a little bit :smokin: A coach who most player's love to play for or want to play for opposed to a self inflating "I'm the best PG in the Leage" with all the Crazy ass antics over a winner???? That makes sense to you hugh?

This is getting old.

1. Does it matter that they are not the calabur player's that Starbury is? They are in the same boat as Starbury (not playing, not going to play, being inactivated and then only activated when the team needs bodies on the roster...... and still not playing) are they crying over it?
2. AGAIN WHO SAID IT???? NOT COACH!
3. You can choose to believe whoever you want to on this one chief...... just think about it a little bit :smokin: A coach who most player's love to play for or want to play for opposed to a self inflating "I'm the best PG in the Leage" with all the Crazy ass antics over a winner???? That makes sense to you hugh?

1:Be smarter here. You think the media would be having this much fun if Dave Tollefson shot himself in the leg vs Plax? Talent matters. That is why the Knicks are a circus, because everyone in the world knows Steph i their best player, while the others are insignificant. Same predicament or not. Star power. No pun intended.

2:The who said it argument is weak. D'antoni and Wals are suppoed to be this dynamic team in their minds. On the same page. If D'antoni did not agree, then Walsh put him in a bad spot. This is Steve Kerr and PHX all over again. I doubt he comes here if that's true. D'antoni lied. It even caught Walsh by surprise Steph was not playing. That tells you there that he thought he had a clean slate like everyone else.

3:popularity does not always make a person a stand up guy. You should know better.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
They did not do the same things to those bums that they did with Marbury. And Steph says he did not refuse to play, while D'antoni says he did. You're siding with D'antoni. That's fine. But I don't believe anything he says at this point, because he said everyone had a clean slate, and that part we all know was simply not true.

I don't believe liars.

Ummm...Malik is only playing because Jeffries was injured, Jerome James showed up in his best shape and hasn't played, Curry is not playing because he didn't show up in shape. James and Curry don't fit into D'Antoni's system and Malik will not play again when Jeffries comes back. But Steph deserves special treatment? Why?

Quoted from article in thread:
D'Antoni said his decision to move on without Marbury was right at the time. Sources said Marbury's teammates wanted him off the team during the summer, and told D'Antoni such.

If any one of those players refused to play (and that is what Mebury did) I would bash them too. You're siding with Mebury. When asked if you want to play, and you say no, that is refusing to play. Simple.

D'Antoni has coached Mebury before and feels he doesn't fit into his system, plus he interviewed all of the players and they said they don't want Mebury on the team anymore. And, D'Antoni feels Mebury quit on him when he was in Phoenix. D'Antoni was put in a tough spot because Dolan wouldn't buy Mebury out. D'Antoni wanted Mebury gone before training camp and expected him to be gone before the season started, the players wanted him gone before training camp, but Dolan wasn't going to buy him out. What was he supposed to do? Play somebody that he doesn't want and the entire team hates?

D'Antoni hasn't lied at all yet you believe Mebury over him? Lol. The same man that cheats on his wife with his cousin's girlfriend?

KBlack25

Starter
1:Be smarter here. You think the media would be having this much fun if Dave Tollefson shot himself in the leg vs Plax? Talent matters. That is why the Knicks are a circus, because everyone in the world knows Steph i their best player, while the others are insignificant. Same predicament or not. Star power. No pun intended.

2:The who said it argument is weak. D'antoni and Wals are suppoed to be this dynamic team in their minds. On the same page. If D'antoni did not agree, then Walsh put him in a bad spot. This is Steve Kerr and PHX all over again. I doubt he comes here if that's true. D'antoni lied. It even caught Walsh by surprise Steph was not playing. That tells you there that he thought he had a clean slate like everyone else.

3:popularity does not always make a person a stand up guy. You should know better.

FINE! But that still means that D'ANTONI is NOT a liar as you posited. That's a communication breakdown between D'Antoni and Walsh and rather than D'Antoni being a straight up liar, which is the whole reason you didn't believe what he was saying in the first place.

The entire premise of your argument as to why we shouldn't believe D'Antoni was because he was a liar which is proper in theory. In practice, however, it has been shown that D'Antoni was NOT a liar and thus the argument against believing him disintegrates.

Not to mention everyone in Phoenix loved him and there was a lot of speculation that his old guys in PHX wanted to come to NY because of Mike D'Antoni...So if he's really that much of an asshole to his players, why would they want to come play with him...

Walsh said it himself: "If you have a problem with Mike [D'Antoni], the problem is probably you"

nyk_nyk

All Star
You're missing the point. Mebury refused to play and if either of the previously mentioned players did the same, I would be bashing them as well. Why should Mebury get special treatment? If you think he does, then you don't understand the concept of team sports.
Then I guess D'Antoni doesn't understand the concept of team sports by making Marbury an outcast to the rest of the team. Guys who are healthy and very skilled should get the opportunity to play, even if it's 10 mins/gm.

KBlack25

Starter
Then I guess D'Antoni doesn't understand the concept of team sports by making Marbury an outcast to the rest of the team. Guys who are healthy and very skilled should get the opportunity to play, even if it's 10 mins/gm.

Or maybe he understands team sports better than you do (after all he is an NBA coach and you are not) and realizes that the team just can not play with a guy they hate so much, that it spoils team chemistry and the flow of the team game to have a guy out there who everyone else hates.

clumsy

Rotation player
Dude there are reports Michael Jordan is a self centered asshole. Hell teh guy doesn't even tip people and he is ludicrously rich (it's in Charles Barkley's book) which is something that makes me lose a lot respect for him as a person.

BUt i forgot how many chips he won.

KBlack25

Starter
Dude there are reports Michael Jordan is a self centered asshole. Hell teh guy doesn't even tip people and he is ludicrously rich (it's in Charles Barkley's book) which is something that makes me lose a lot respect for him as a person.

BUt i forgot how many chips he won.

Really? Because a couple years ago he went out on a golf course with Tiger Woods and tipped his caddy $200 where as Tiger tipped $100. Not to mention MJ does a lot of charity work.

Again you answer nothing

1. The Knicks are thaugh of as a Circus why? Starbury. If Steph came to NY and played like the PG he thinks he was/is would there have been any Circus in town? If Steph didn't make an ass of himself every time he gets on a camera would the Circus have come to town? If Steph wasn't such a bad teamate/ coach killer who knows how talented he is would the Circus be in town for him? NO Is anyone disputing that Steph isn't the most talented player on the roster? NO Rose and Curry still in the same situation right? YES
2. Who said it AGAIN? WALSH! NOT COACH D, and as for your sad ass Suns annalogy ..... how are the Suns doing without coach D? Yeah he's a real bad guy, bad enough that all "his" player's miss him and wish he was still there coach no Terry Porter and Scott Skiles.
3. A stand up guy is what you need to be the face of your franchise not some punk idiot that shoots his mouth off to much and is dis-liked by everyone he plays with or is coached by.

But keep seeing it the way you see it chief:thumbsup:

clumsy

Rotation player
People definitely need to separate the whole being a likeable guy is important to winning and team chemistry. I don't buy into measuring "intangibles". It is the same way i look at people using religion to fill in the blanks for things science can not yet explain (or may never). It's cool if you believe in it and all, but i don't think it's as strong an argument as track records, or statistics.

KBlack25

Starter
People definitely need to separate the whole being a likeable guy is important to winning and team chemistry. I don't buy into measuring "intangibles". It is the same way i look at people using religion to fill in the blanks for things science can not yet explain (or may never). It's cool if you believe in it and all, but i don't think it's as strong an argument as track records, or statistics.

Clumsy- you can make stats say anything you want if you are crafty with them. Somebody made a statistic to prove that there were over 50 players in NBA history better than MJ. Statistics are numbers that can be toyed with and often present problems because all statistics are not created equal. I.e. scoring 20 ppg in the west a couple years ago was much different than 20 ppg in the east. It's like baseball, a 2.2 ERA in the National League is MUCH different than a 2.2 ERA in the American League.

Plus you have to account for teammate productivity, teammate injury and all kinds of other things. Of course statistics are important but they are also subjective, very VERY subjective. I agree, statistics is one of the better classes of information available but most people (especially on this board) use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post, for support rather than for light. I mean, I can go in and pick out random statistics that say what I want them to say and posit that as definitive evidence of "proof" of an outlandish theory, like 9-11 Conspiracy Theorists who take a random smattering of interviews to prove their point and ignore the rest of the interviews or the actual scientific answers to what they question, or JFK conspiracy theorists. Stats can be good if you use them the right way, but they can easily (read: VERY easily) be manipulated.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Or maybe he understands team sports better than you do (after all he is an NBA coach and you are not) and realizes that the team just can not play with a guy they hate so much, that it spoils team chemistry and the flow of the team game to have a guy out there who everyone else hates.
If that's the case then why would he undermind the request of the "Team" and offer Steph 30-35 mins? Apparently, he was willing to bend his rules then.

KBlack25

Starter
If that's the case then why would he undermind the request of the "Team" and offer Steph 30-35 mins? Apparently, he was willing to bend his rules then.

Not sure there was a "team" request (outside of last year's debacle) to undermine, I believe the entire situation rested squarely in the hands of Mike D'Antoni. The team had 7 guys, Steph would have been another body to throw out there, plus maybe some team would see something and say "hey, let's take a shot on Steph" which would rid D'Antoni of the headache for good.

OR maybe D'Antoni reconsidered, as you people all begged him to do, and Steph refused for whatever reason and under whatever terms.

Ummm...Malik is only playing because Jeffries was injured, Jerome James showed up in his best shape and hasn't played, Curry is not playing because he didn't show up in shape. James and Curry don't fit into D'Antoni's system and Malik will not play again when Jeffries comes back. But Steph deserves special treatment? Why?

What special treatment? I just said all along that D'antoni should never have even asked Steph to play when he said he is not in the plans and it would be unfair if he played a star like him spot minutes here or there. Starting him 1 game for 35 minutes constitutes spot minutes here or there. He had no plans to play him after. At all. So therefore, he should have never asked. That is my feeling on it. Has nothing to do with special treatment, so much as his own principle he abandoned.

Quoted from article in thread:

If any one of those players refused to play (and that is what Mebury did) I would bash them too. You're siding with Mebury. When asked if you want to play, and you say no, that is refusing to play. Simple.
D'antoni said I have 35 min out there for you, here is the catch... "IF YOU WANT THEM". That my friend appears to indicate option, or choice. Steph says "I thought I was not in the plans"? D'amphony, "You're not, just need you today, but you're not in the plans". Steph "Well I'd prefer not to play". D'amphony "Ok, I understand"

Now if D'amphony says, "You're playing no matter today, point blank" And Steph refuses, then that's a different issue.

D'Antoni has coached Mebury before and feels he doesn't fit into his system, plus he interviewed all of the players and they said they don't want Mebury on the team anymore. And, D'Antoni feels Mebury quit on him when he was in Phoenix. D'Antoni was put in a tough spot because Dolan wouldn't buy Mebury out. D'Antoni wanted Mebury gone before training camp and expected him to be gone before the season started, the players wanted him gone before training camp, but Dolan wasn't going to buy him out. What was he supposed to do? Play somebody that he doesn't want and the entire team hates?
Then it was Walsh' job to make sure Steph was traded, or bought out before the season. Not to say everyone had a clean slate, and have this guy feel as if he would be part of the team. This means he and D'antoni are already not on the same page. That's a bigger problem than Steph moving forward. You guys need to stop trying to obsolve D'antoni from blame. He is not blameless. Knock it off.

D'Antoni hasn't lied at all yet you believe Mebury over him? Lol. The same man that cheats on his wife with his cousin's girlfriend?
D'antoni has not lied at all.. And monkey's are our parents. Ok.

Again you answer nothing

1. The Knicks are thaugh of as a Circus why? Starbury. If Steph came to NY and played like the PG he thinks he was/is would there have been any Circus in town? If Steph didn't make an ass of himself every time he gets on a camera would the Circus have come to town? If Steph wasn't such a bad teamate/ coach killer who knows how talented he is would the Circus be in town for him? NO Is anyone disputing that Steph isn't the most talented player on the roster? NO Rose and Curry still in the same situation right? YES
2. Who said it AGAIN? WALSH! NOT COACH D, and as for your sad ass Suns annalogy ..... how are the Suns doing without coach D? Yeah he's a real bad guy, bad enough that all "his" player's miss him and wish he was still there coach no Terry Porter and Scott Skiles.
3. A stand up guy is what you need to be the face of your franchise not some punk idiot that shoots his mouth off to much and is dis-liked by everyone he plays with or is coached by.

But keep seeing it the way you see it chief:thumbsup:

Too silly to reason with. Good day.

Duhons back is hurting, Nate is/was out, we only had like 2 guards avalable? and oh yeah Coach D has the best interests of the team in mind (oppisite of your boy Steph).... Win at any cost, even if that means playing such bad teamate to give your "STARTERS" and the "Future Players" of the team a rest :peace:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Refused for "whatever reason". Are you serious???? You really have no idea why Steph refused his request for pt?

Stop the foolishness man!

KBlack25

Starter
D'antoni said I have 35 min out there for you, here is the catch... "IF YOU WANT THEM". That my friend appears to indicate option, or choice. Steph says "I thought I was not in the plans"? D'amphony, "You're not, just need you today, but you're not in the plans". Steph "Well I'd prefer not to play". D'amphony "Ok, I understand"

Now if D'amphony says, "You're playing no matter today, point blank" And Steph refuses, then that's a different issue.

D'antoni has not lied at all.. And monkey's are our parents. Ok.

WHOA everybody, we have a real Knicks insider here. Apparently Knicks4lyfe was actually inside the locker room and within an earshot to hear exactly what Mike D'Antoni said to Stephon Marbury! Let me ask you Knicks4lyfe, did you have a tape recorder on hand or are you reciting from memory? Also, how did you manage to get inside the Knicks locker room to hear such a sensitive conversation? Do you have a friend with the team or something? Is it Stephon Marbury?

Also, we did evolve from monkies as a lot of scientific evidence has shown.