Knicks/Steph buyout talks crumble

Steph want all his money

Donnie dosen't want to give him all his money

No one is going to trade for him

ALL THIS EQUALS IS STEPH GETTING PAID TO STAY AWAY, ......... RIGHT?

Starks

Starter
Marc Berman may be the worst Knick beat writer in town, but he'll have a good story about what happened behind the scenes. He's the only reporter steph speaks to.

Theres all types of stuff on the net about what happened.

It seems to be Steph wanted all his money, was told no, and left by himself and waited in the car while the players assosication reps continued to talk to walsh

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The Buy-Out

I still believe that this ordeal -- for everyone -- will be over soon.

Marbury's only leverage is to refuse to sit at home and take his money. Apparently the CBA gives him that right -- no paid vacation unless the player agrees to it. i am sure that Dolan would let him sit home -- away from the team -- and collect his full $21.9M, despite the loss of a roster spot, rather than buy Marbury out for a million or so in discount. But Marbury is in a contract year and he is not getting any younger. He can not afford a year's vacation.

But Dolan does not want the bad press and the distraction of Marbury and his scowl permanently glued to the bench. And is D'Antoni ready to give Marbury a "direct order" to get into the game? That would be interesting, but from a public relations standpoint, this is all unseemly and petty for the Knicks.

Who is more stubborn -- Marbury or Dolan?

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Saw a comment in espn today where Marbury says he needs at least a week of training to be ready to play for another team. Looks like he didnt train much if at all since training camp.
Dont get why he wouldnt just say he's not in shape when D'Antoni asked him to play. This whole mess only puts his reputation back to where it was last year

New New York

Quiet Storm
Rumor has it Dolan does not want to do a buyout at all, so he is probably not giving Donnie Walsh much leverage to work with. Plus Donnie may want to see who becomes available come the trade deadline. I just hope they send him home until this issue is resolved, because honestly I'm sick of reading about it and atleast it may be a case of out of sight out of mind.....oh never mind I imagine Berman will want to do an exclusive interview with Steph every two days until it is over.

The fair thing would be to let Steph go workout in LA while his Union Rep finds some potential suitors for Steph, and hopefully by then The Knicks are back at full strength and playing good which may make Dolan feel good about buying him out then.

richtree

Rotation player
heres a good quote from steph

?Mike had no intentions of me playing basketball here,? Marbury said. ?He gave me straight disrespect. It was beyond disrespect. He put in (Danilo) Gallinari, whose back is messed up and (who) didn?t participate at all in training camp ahead of me (in the season opener). ? That?s saying, `I?m letting you have it right now.? He was sticking it to me.?

richtree

Rotation player
Saw a comment in espn today where Marbury says he needs at least a week of training to be ready to play for another team. Looks like he didnt train much if at all since training camp.
Dont get why he wouldnt just say he's not in shape when D'Antoni asked him to play. This whole mess only puts his reputation back to where it was last year

THE KNICKS WOULDN'T LET HIM...EVEN WHEN HE WENT TO HIS OLD HIGH SCHOOL THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM WORKING OUT CAUSE' THEY WERE LOOKING FOR ANYWAY TO VOID HIS CONTRACT.....

tiger0330

Legend
Walsh should be patient, they thought Zebo's contract was untradeable too. He should work the phones right up to the trade deadline in Feb before making a final decision on Marbury. Playing him isn't an option at this point no matter how shorthanded you are, he won't hustle or play hard for sure. So the Knicks send him home and pay him if he agrees.

Last edited:

SpursFan4Life

Benchwarmer
I wonder if they could continue to offer him a spot in the lineup hoping he would continue to decline to play. That way they could just keep fining him and then *POOF* they don't have to pay out that albatross of a contract.

From a fellow Spurs fan:

"I'd rather start Nick Van Exel pulling the perpetually wounded body of Speedy Claxton up and down the court in a rickshaw than have Marbury coming off the bench for the vet minimum."

lol

Last edited:
I think the whole situation with Marbury was handled terribly.... but it is the only thing that I have to complain about with Walsh since he got here.

We should have played Steph at the beggining of the season. Remember how untradable Z-bo seemed to be. He thrived in the system and looked good enough for someone to want him. Steph is in his contract year meaning he has to play good to get the $ next year. After two to three weeks of chucking up threes under D'antoni Im possitive we could have found a place for him. Now were gonna end up buying him out and getting nothing in return but some peace in the locker room.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
The knicks have to just buy him out for that million that marbury is willing to give back, with all the injuries they have they need a roster spot, and i want ewing back on the team, time to just let steph go.