41% Say Yes.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
<table class="genStatTable mainStandings" border="1" bordercolor="#cccccc" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="15" class="header" id="tdimage">2008-2009 Conference Regular Season Standings </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="15" class="confTitle">Eastern Conference</td></tr> <tr class="title"> <td class="name">Eastern</td> <td>W</td> <td>L</td> <td>PCT</td> <td>GB</td> <td>CONF</td> <td>DIV</td> <td>HOME</td> <td>ROAD</td> <td>L 10</td> <td>STREAK</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Boston<sup class="super">1</sup></td> <td>24</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.923</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>17-1</td> <td>4-0 </td> <td>14-1 </td> <td>10-1 </td> <td>10-0 </td> <td>W 16</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">Cleveland<sup class="super">2</sup></td> <td>21</td> <td>4</td> <td>0.840</td> <td>2.5</td> <td>15-3</td> <td>6-1 </td> <td>13-0 </td> <td>8-4 </td> <td>9-1 </td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Orlando<sup class="super">3</sup></td> <td>20</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.769</td> <td>4.0</td> <td>10-2</td> <td>3-1 </td> <td>10-3 </td> <td>10-3 </td> <td>8-2 </td> <td>W 3</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">Detroit<sup class="super">4</sup></td> <td>14</td> <td>9</td> <td>0.609</td> <td>8.5</td> <td>10-6</td> <td>4-0 </td> <td>7-4 </td> <td>7-5 </td> <td>6-4 </td> <td>W 3</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Atlanta<sup class="super">5</sup></td> <td>15</td> <td>10</td> <td>0.600</td> <td>8.5</td> <td>12-7</td> <td>6-0 </td> <td>9-2 </td> <td>6-8 </td> <td>6-4 </td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">Miami<sup class="super">6</sup></td> <td>12</td> <td>12</td> <td>0.500</td> <td>11.0</td> <td>6-6</td> <td>3-2 </td> <td>7-5 </td> <td>5-7 </td> <td>5-5 </td> <td>L 3</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">New Jersey<sup class="super">7</sup></td> <td>12</td> <td>12</td> <td>0.500</td> <td>11.0</td> <td>7-8</td> <td>3-2 </td> <td>4-8 </td> <td>8-4 </td> <td>5-5 </td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">Chicago<sup class="super">8</sup></td> <td>12</td> <td>13</td> <td>0.480</td> <td>11.5</td> <td>6-8</td> <td>2-3 </td> <td>9-3 </td> <td>3-10 </td> <td>5-5 </td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Philadelphia</td> <td>11</td> <td>14</td> <td>0.440</td> <td>12.5</td> <td>7-11</td> <td>2-3 </td> <td>7-7 </td> <td>4-7 </td> <td>4-6 </td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">New York</td> <td>11</td> <td>14</td> <td>0.440</td> <td>12.5</td> <td>6-9</td> <td>1-2 </td> <td>7-4 </td> <td>4-10 </td> <td>4-6 </td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Milwaukee</td> <td>11</td> <td>16</td> <td>0.407</td> <td>13.5</td> <td>8-10</td> <td>2-4 </td> <td>6-4 </td> <td>5-12 </td> <td>4-6 </td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">Toronto</td> <td>10</td> <td>15</td> <td>0.400</td> <td>13.5</td> <td>9-9</td> <td>2-5 </td> <td>5-8 </td> <td>5-7 </td> <td>2-8 </td> <td>L 3</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Indiana</td> <td>9</td> <td>16</td> <td>0.360</td> <td>14.5</td> <td>5-14</td> <td>0-6 </td> <td>6-5 </td> <td>3-11 </td> <td>3-7 </td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="team">Charlotte</td> <td>8</td> <td>18</td> <td>0.308</td> <td>16.0</td> <td>4-14</td> <td>1-4 </td> <td>7-9 </td> <td>1-9 </td> <td>3-7 </td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Washington</td> <td>4</td> <td>19</td> <td>0.174</td> <td>18.5</td> <td>2-16</td> <td>0-6 </td> <td>3-10 </td> <td>1-9 </td> <td>2-8 </td> <td>L 4</td></tr></tbody></table>
So, what do you think? Playoffs this year?

1: Philly have Brand out for a month and a new coach.
2: Toronto are flailing.
3: D Wade can't do it all.
4: We can beat Detroit any night we want.
5: New Jersey wear fish nets.

January and February are pretty horrible months schedule wise. Big road swings and nasty match ups with bigger teams. Harrington and Lee's performances will be crucial to success. Our guards will have to rebound more. Wilson Chandler needs to get on the boards and find some consistency in a big way as does Q. The passing lanes need to be clogged on D and transition offense is gonna be a massive factor.

There's a thousand ifs, buts and doubts but in the poll for season outcome prognosis, 41% believed that the Knicks would win 31-39 games.

That's a realistic number and potentially a ticket to the playoffs as the 8th seed.

32% said 40 or more wins.

If we can manage a beneficial trade for Fats Curry or even get the lazy Buddha to play again in a supportive, constructive role, that would be an enormous plus and may well tip us over the edge of uncertainty.

Thoughts please.

This is an edited version of a previous thread that I have reinstated now that the Knicks are feistyer than they've been in 4 years. Some comments may seem out of kilter so do not talk any unwelcome or unwanted smack about them.

Cheers.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't see how the Knicks could possibly make the playoffs, but if you say so. None of the Knicks' 8 wins come against healthy .500 plus teams. The Knicks are 2-3, since trading away Crawford and Randolph. The Knicks have a tough schedule ahead of them this month. Especially that 5 game road trip next week.

Thanks for the credit. I think there'll be more posts in the Trailblazers thread tomorrow.

P.S.-I don't mean to be pessimistic. I just don't see the Knicks making the playoffs, because they're too injury depleted and they lost two of their main players(Crawford and Randolph). Plus, Marbury ain't playing.

Last edited:

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
i think it's too soon to talk about playoffs, simply because i dont think Walsh is done dealing for this year

wouldnt be surprised if we trade some of our young guys with Curry and Jeffries at some point, and have another really hard undermanned stint where we drop some games

if we stay like we are, letting guys play together for the rest of the year, bringing back Gallo and some free agent SG, then i think we are a playoff team
but i would be surprised if no trade happens till deadline

New New York

Quiet Storm
I don't want to make the playoffs this year for two reasons

1.We will get swept in the first round! Boston or Clev. would cut right through us because of how well they play D and their expierence.

2.This is the last year we have a pick before 2011 so better it be a lottery pick right? I mean we would probably will still have a early first rounder, but, atleast there is a slight chance we end up with a top three pick by just being in the lottery.

Also remember when first Isiah got here and we made the playoffs that season, there was so much false hope. Not making the playoffs keeps us grounded until our team is actually good enough to be a playoff team instead of being the best out of the bad teams in our weak Conference.

Were not far away from being a playoff team, but we are just not there yet. This is going to be a process in rebuilding this team so lets just lower our expectaions a bit and take it for what it is:thumbsup:

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
I don't want to make the playoffs this year for two reasons

1.We will get swept in the first round! Boston or Clev. would cut right through us because of how well they play D and their expierence.

2.This is the last year we have a pick before 2011 so better it be a lottery pick right? I mean we would probably will still have a early first rounder, but, atleast there is a slight chance we end up with a top three pick by just being in the lottery.

sounds fair, but playoffs wouldnt be bad for a big reason:
we would much better see what our guys are really worth

We can compare Chandler to Pippen, and Lee and Nate to top guys as much as we want during regular season, but the true value really shows during playoffs.
When a team like Boston plays us for game after game after game, and really studies and wears out our guys, only then we can really see if Lee, Nate, Chandler, Harry could be good starters on a contender past 2010

can they adapt, when defenders learn them well and change their style?
do they have enough toughness to stay competitive when its 0-2?
can they stay cool and concentrated with Perkins and Garnett barking and elbowing them?
wont they make anything stupid like Amare's technicals in the mid of pressure?

Remember, at one point few years ago, when Magic werent a playoff team yet, their fans thought Nelson could be one of top PGs in the league. I remember even Nelson himself talking about him carrying the Magic
And what do u know, when they started going to playoffs, it became obvious Nelson is nothing but a backup on contender

I love how we are doing so far, but to be honest, i havent made up my mind on any of our players 100%
I know they are pretty good, but are they good enough starter pieces to put around LeBron? or are they just very inspired kids who could break at the most important playoff point
We wont know till we see them in playoffs

It is to early to really consider wiether or not the knicks will make the playoffs. Yes, they are playing good basketball right now and other teams that they would be competing against arent in the best situations. It is ONLY December though. This just could be a nice stretch where they play up to their opponents levle. We still have gotten blown out by Clevland twice and the Celtics handled us once. They will be the real players in the playoffs this year and from what we have seen so far we still cant compete at that level. Come sunday when we play the celtics again we will see how we stand up now.

I also agree that makeing the playoffs would be entertaining for me this year it will also hurt our chances of really improving the roster some more. As it was stated earlier we dont have another 1st round pick after this coming summer untill 2011. A top 5 or even top 10 pick would be a lot more helpful than 15 through 20.

This is all unless we somehow start really doing good move from a possible 8 seed to maybe 6 to 4 where they wont have to face Boston or Clevland first round.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
That wouldnt be cool if we had to play the Celtics in the first round. Cleveland would be a tough first round match up too. I cant see us winning a game against either team. Part of me would love to see us make the playoffs but were not expected too so our best bet is to get another lottery pick and make our return next year. Making the playoffs next year is alot more important, it will look good to wade, lebron, bosh, and the rest of the free agents. That way when whichever one of them signs with us, they'll be signing with a team thats already made the playoffs without them.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
That wouldnt be cool if we had to play the Celtics in the first round. Cleveland would be a tough first round match up too. I cant see us winning a game against either team. Part of me would love to see us make the playoffs but were not expected too so our best bet is to get another lottery pick and make our return next year. Making the playoffs next year is alot more important, it will look good to wade, lebron, bosh, and the rest of the free agents. That way when whichever one of them signs with us, they'll be signing with a team thats already made the playoffs without them.

co-sing 100% another classy post.....

i wanted us to compete this year and we have so far...i want us t continue doing this and getting better defensively even if it means losing games get Gallo major minutes once he's ready to help him grow as a player, get a nice pick this june(Harden, Thabeet, Curry, Evans?etc) sign Hate 100% and possibly Lee unless a good trade presents itself, and come back next year with more improved Robinson, Chandler,and Gallo....then we'll be even better and ready for the playoffs....

Paul1355

All Star
Fluid passing is key

We have to play like we did before Zach and Crawford were traded. We have to make Harrington the new Zach and feed him when ever we can because Harrington gets streaky but he can carry the team for a while. Duhon has to shoot more open shots and Nate has to become the new Crawford with more shooting attempts and draw fouls, which Crawford shouldve done more.

Everyone has to pass around and find the open man, and that means NOT ALWAYS a three point shot! We get carried away with far shots when we can make easier 2 pointers most of the time. If Harrington, Duhon, Nate, or Thomas are open from Three, WIDE OPEN, then shoot it, if not feed a man for a mid range to close shot.

When Zach and Crawford were here, we were a more uptempo team, had more fluid passing and more aggressiveness towards the hoop. If we play like that and grow more as a team and feed each other, you can see an 8th or 7th spot in that seed possibly.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
I don't see how the Knicks could possibly make the playoffs, but if you say so.

Fact is, Knicks could easily beat # 7 New Jersey, # 8 Chicago , i'd say they don't have to play outrageously well to beat # 6 Miami, and obviously they can beat any of the top teams in the east if they play there game, besides perhaps cavs or celtics, given what we saw in the Lakers game. that's how they can be in the playoffs...

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
to be honest, who cares what chance we got to win in playoffs

what i know is 1) it would be an awfull lot of fun and 2) i sure want to see how our young guys look under playoff stress, because regular season means squat as far as judging a player goes

come on, this is new york after all
we may be patient now and wait till 2010, but doesnt mean we must be pussies and be afraid of playoffs just because we may get swept lol

edit - and yea, some playoff experience doesnt hurt for development either

Last edited:
having post season experience would be a big plus for our future and it looks better for incoming FAs.

Upseting the 1 or 2 would be sick and a real fun experience after so many crappy seasons in a row

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I read that we have the option to transfer our pick to next year? Is that right? Still, to get the lottery this year would be an exciting consolation for a playoff absence.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
co-sing 100% another classy post.....

i wanted us to compete this year and we have so far...i want us t continue doing this and getting better defensively even if it means losing games get Gallo major minutes once he's ready to help him grow as a player, get a nice pick this june(Harden, Thabeet, Curry, Evans?etc) sign Hate 100% and possibly Lee unless a good trade presents itself, and come back next year with more improved Robinson, Chandler,and Gallo....then we'll be even better and ready for the playoffs....

Thanks, your posts are always real good too. I think we'll have the team next year to make the playoffs. Its gonna be fun watchin them for a while now, we got a competitive team that will only grow and get better with time.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
We're two games away from the 8 spot, it's not that improbable that we'd make the playoffs, but it may be a stretch. If we get a good winning streak, say 5 or 6 games in a row, we could climb the playoff tree.

JayJ44

Starter
I'd say playoffs are a very real possibility. We'll probably hang around the 7-10th seed the whole year. If we can get some wins by the end of the season we could make it. If 2 or 3 of our players can get on a shooting streak at the same time I could see us making a run.

This is the deal with the owed draft pick. If we finish in the top 8 this year, and get a pick higher than 22, then we give up this year's first round pick to Utah. Otherwise, it goes to them in 2010. So, it might be smarter to get a lottery pick this year, because there's really no way we finish in the top 8. On the other hand, getting in the playoffs will look good to free agents, and it would be good for all of the fans. But I think it would be better for the team if we get a good pick this year, since we don't have one next year.