with Marbury gone what do the Knicks need?

H20

Rookie
when the knicks get rid of Marbury. What do the Knicks need to focus on or do to make the playoffs? discuss

Last edited:

GetRealistic

Starter
He's not gone yet. But if he is bought out we just need to sign a cheap guard from the D League for a one year contract that would help fill the roster.

With the additions of Harrington, and Thomas i think we need a guard who can play the point instead of bringing in Ewing Jr. I love the guy but with Jefferies, Danillo, Harrinton, Thomas, and Chandler it would almost be a pointless signing.

Smush Parker and Frank Williams are both in the D League and i'm sure we'd take amazingly low contracts for a chance to just be in the league again, that or you go with a young kid.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
**** getting more gaurds we need size up front get some bigs who play some defense, and rebound

portega1968

El Cacique
I agree with Getrealistic.. Big Fella Jr. does not fill a need on our roster at this moment. His signing would be purely a PR move.

We need a defensive PG and a shotblocker in the middle.

GetRealistic

Starter
**** getting more gaurds we need size up front get some bigs who play some defense, and rebound

If theres a legit 7 footer who can rebound in the D League that'd be fine but we deffinately don't need another wing player. And thats no offense to Ewing Jr its just right now he doesn't fit. Maybe next year he can slide in and take Malik Roses roster spot.

I only say guard because with Duhons nagging back we are really short in the backcourt. Duhon, Nate, Roberson, and Q isn't much depth.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Agreed with Getrealistic, we dont need anymore scorers/shooters, there's plenty as it is, and Gallinari, Mobley should come back at some point.

What we need is a backup pg or well-moving center.

At point guard, how about Damon Stoudamire? He's free agent, and unless he's hurt, he should still have something left.
I dont know about Smush Parker, if Pat Riley pretty much had him banned, Smush must be a dick in locker room
Fred Jones is a FA btw ;)

At center, I think Brad Miller is the only one available that fits, Sacto wants to get rid of their veterans in froncourt. They even demoted Mikky Moore to bench these days, to get minutes for youngsters. Brad is still a top 15 center, he can shoot and pass, and he can move well

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think Sean Williams would fit nicely. A true shot blocker who can run the floor and is young/cheap. He may be 6'10 but has a huge wingspan and gets a good amount of blocks for his limited minutes.

I would also trade Nate for Marcus Williams and move Duhon to backup unless he continues putting up huge numbers.

richtree

Rotation player
I think Sean Williams would fit nicely. A true shot blocker who can run the floor and is young/cheap. He may be 6'10 but has a huge wingspan and gets a good amount of blocks for his limited minutes.

I would also trade Nate for Marcus Williams and move Duhon to backup unless he continues putting up huge numbers.

Nate Robinson is our only player that can create his own shot....late in the game when things are tight and there is less than 4 mins to play ...

Nate Robinson is our best option, next is probably Tim Thomas (gulp)

If anything we need a guy that can play uptempo but yet create there own shot....

Suns had Nash....
Mavs had Dirk....
GS had Baron Davis....

Its great to run and gun but scoring in the last 3 minutes of the game is different that the first 45.....

peace dunns

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Line Up Post-Marbury

Jefferies will be back perhaps next week. Lets see what he can do at center.

Mobley is out only because of tests to determine whether there are serious problems with his heart that will prevent him from playing. if he is cleared to play, it will likely happen before the Marbury situation is resolved. If he is not cleared to play, then it is perhaps likely that he will get a medical retirement which will open up a roster spot.

Our glut of forwards includes Malik. I do not believe his expiring contract is going to get us anything of value. He is over the hill.

James has never played even though he is supposedly healthy. If we do not play him, we still pay him. As a practical matter, a buy-out at 100% will not actually cost anything.

I put little value on expiring contracts. They have only hurt us. We paid off Jalen Rose, Jerome Williams and Clarence Weatherspoon. We used Hardaway's to get Francis. And we off loaded Francis for Z-Bo's mammoth contract. How has any of that helped?

Buying-out James or Rose will give us another roster spot. PR or not, I like Patrick, Jr.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Nate Robinson is our only player that can create his own shot....late in the game when things are tight and there is less than 4 mins to play ...

Nate Robinson is our best option, next is probably Tim Thomas (gulp)

If anything we need a guy that can play uptempo but yet create there own shot....

Suns had Nash....
Mavs had Dirk....
GS had Baron Davis....

Its great to run and gun but scoring in the last 3 minutes of the game is different that the first 45.....

peace dunns

If we are going to depend on Nate to win us games we are in sorry shape. I love Nate but he can not be the go to player in the last 2 mins of a game.

GetRealistic

Starter

Marcus Williams has been nothing but a bust fella. I'm with you that we should have easily drafted him over Balkman, but the fact remains Williams can't get any time in Golden State and they play up tempo. What makes you think he'd do anything more here.

Nate Robinson has proven clearly he is a player that will continue to get better. And no he will never be the number one option but as far as quickness and ability to get his own shot i have no problem with Nate being an option late in games.

Also Williams can't shoot.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Shopping list

It somewhat depends on Cutino Mobley's status. If he plays for them, the needs at guard are minimal, so re-signing Patrick Ewing Jr. makes more sense.

They still need a defensive shot-blocking center. I am not sure why they have not given Jerome James more of a chance although he would make more sense if he lost another 20 pounds or so. Otherwise, why not buyout James and look for a young shot-blocking project? I am really unsure why they didn't make a play for Camby this summer (he went for virtually nothing). Maybe they can convince the Nets to part with Sean Williams (since they seem to be going with Brooke Lopez) for the right deal?

On the other hand, it may also make sense to wait and see what Jeffries' return, along with Harrington and Thomas playing into shape, gives them in terms of interior defense and shot blocking.

If Mobley is done, and they get a medical exception, then a solid pass-first defensive point guard from the D League makes some sense, as well.

JayJ44

Starter
I think we need to sign Ewing Jr. We have Duhon, Nate, Cuttino Mobley (maybe?), Roberson, and posssibly Q-Rich in the backcourt. We need some more defense in the lineup, our best defender is Chandler, maybe Jeffries. Plus, it's good karma. We've been cursed since we traded away Ewing Sr., maybe this would reverse it?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Marcus Williams has been nothing but a bust fella. I'm with you that we should have easily drafted him over Balkman, but the fact remains Williams can't get any time in Golden State and they play up tempo. What makes you think he'd do anything more here.

Nate Robinson has proven clearly he is a player that will continue to get better. And no he will never be the number one option but as far as quickness and ability to get his own shot i have no problem with Nate being an option late in games.

Also Williams can't shoot.

I think with minutes and the right coach Williams is the real deal. We shall see if he ever amounts to anything.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
i dont get it.
how a defensive shot blocking center fits into D'Antoni system?
Suns sold their draft picks year after year mostly because D'Antoni liked only a few high stats players in the draft and didnt care about defensive bigs lower in first round...
And now he's going to change his system to incorporate a marcus camby type of guy?

Maybe he'll tweak his system a bit in 2010, if he has two superstars like Bosh and LeBron scoring at will.
But he aint changing his ways with this half-scrub team. Duhon, Quentin and Harrington already arent the most consistent guys in the world, add in a poor scorer in the middle, and you are almost out of reliable shooters. That's not D'Antoni's cup of tee

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks need a center.

977009.jpeg