Official 2008 MLB Off Season Thread

th3realicon

Rotation player
I think the best signing we had today was another one though. 5 Million to Wang is a steal Wang has been our most consistent starter and given us some breathing after all the pitching struggles we had.

Boy check this out:

Pitching:

Sabathia
Burnett
Wang
Chamberlain
Hughes (I haven't given up on Boy Wonder yet)
Acever or Pettitte or potential home grown talent

Pen:
Veras
marte
Robertson
Bruney
Mo

Lineup looks something like this:
RF Damon
SS Jeter
1B Teixera
3B A-Rod
C Posada
CF Swisher or Melky or Gardner
LF Nady
2B Cano

DH Matsui platooning with the rest of the Outfield/Bench

Not bad at all.

Also the future looks bright having studs like Chamberlain, Hughes and most importantly Brackman. The kid is a stud. Watch out for him in the near future.

Also the future star in center should be Austin Jackson. A Jack is quick and has shown that can develop into a power hitter. He is like a mix between Ellsbury and Reyes. Quick and a workaholic.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i think Chamberlain would be better for us in the bullpen him in the 7th/8th and Mo in the 9th cant be stopped. But again u dont wanna waste all that stamina by giving him 1 or 2 innings but still Hughes and Acever will be great fighting for the 5th spot and will be the 4 and 5 after Pettite retires

jpz17

Starter
I think the best signing we had today was another one though. 5 Million to Wang is a steal Wang has been our most consistent starter and given us some breathing after all the pitching struggles we had.

Boy check this out:

Pitching:

Sabathia
Burnett
Wang
Chamberlain
Hughes (I haven't given up on Boy Wonder yet)
Acever or Pettitte or potential home grown talent

Pen:
Veras
marte
Robertson
Bruney
Mo

Lineup looks something like this:
RF Damon
SS Jeter
1B Teixera
3B A-Rod
C Posada
CF Swisher or Melky or Gardner
LF Nady
2B Cano

DH Matsui platooning with the rest of the Outfield/Bench

Not bad at all.

Also the future looks bright having studs like Chamberlain, Hughes and most importantly Brackman. The kid is a stud. Watch out for him in the near future.

Also the future star in center should be Austin Jackson. A Jack is quick and has shown that can develop into a power hitter. He is like a mix between Ellsbury and Reyes. Quick and a workaholic.

joba is a closer, chasman said himself last year.. and only reason why wang is making that much is because he isn't greedy.. and there was a report last year that said Posada thought Joba should be bullpen his whole career, which I agree 100%

i think Chamberlain would be better for us in the bullpen him in the 7th/8th and Mo in the 9th cant be stopped. But again u dont wanna waste all that stamina by giving him 1 or 2 innings but still Hughes and Acever will be great fighting for the 5th spot and will be the 4 and 5 after Pettite retires

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed: YES JOBA IS A CLOSER LEGEND

Paul1355

All Star
joba is a closer, chasman said himself last year.. and only reason why wang is making that much is because he isn't greedy.. and there was a report last year that said Posada thought Joba should be bullpen his whole career, which I agree 100%

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed: YES JOBA IS A CLOSER LEGEND

what? Cashman also said that he is a starter and Hank wanted him to start, he is a starter right now...

Joba showed to have great potential as a starter last year before he got hurt. He was rushed and that was why he got hurt. He can pitch more innings as a starter and we have a great bullpen as it is. The 4th and 5th spots in the rotation are crucial in solitifying this team. Sabathia, Burnett, and Wang are all locks, Joba should be a lock by now in teh rotation, and Aceves has a better chance right now then Hughes because Aceves actualyl did good toward the end of the year. Hughes has to prove that he can handle the Majors and not get rocked or hurt again.

Paul1355

All Star
alright, Paul you can be the knicksonline baseball guy

lol i love baseball and I don't mind giving up to date news in the Majors. Your last post was wrong in saying that Hughes did not get rocked.

Hughes and Ian Kennedy...our "future" starters both got rocked last year.

Here's the stats....

Ian Kennedy: Had 4 Losses and 0 Wins. Gave up 50 hits and 36 Earned runs in 39 innings. Had an ERA of 8.17 and an opponent batting average of .309.

Phil Hughes: Also had 4 Losses with 0 Wins. Gave up 25 Earned runs in 34 Innings. Had an ERA of 6.62 and an opponent batting average of 3.14!

So basically Hughes has a worse opponent batting average then Ian Kennedy who was labeled as a bust last year and an embarrassment.

Hughes has alot to prove.

Paul1355

All Star
check from september on then arizona fall league the AAA

I was going to mention Hughes and Kennedy in the minors. Problem is that the Minors is nothing compared to the Majors when it comes to the pressure and consistency of pitching good. The opponent batting averages for Hughes and Kennedy is great in the Minors but horrible in the majors. The competition is completely different.

Both players got rocked in the Major leagues, were it counts.

There is a HUGE difference between facing batters in the minors and facing pro's in the MLB.

And a big difference from pitching in Scranton, PA to pitching in Yankee Stadium with over 55,000 fans.

They have to learn to not choke....then we can consider them in any conversation regarding the rotation of the Yankees. For now leave that 5th spot to either Aceves, who pitched good at the end of the year..or Pettite who I don't like anymore....or take a look at Ben Sheets/Jon Garland.

jpz17

Starter
Are you kidding? I've been to more than 50 Scranton games and that is packed there at least 20,000 people it feels like a major league game for a bad team