View Poll Results: What is the state of racism, today?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Racism, where?

    0 0%
  • The Same as always, it just manifests itself in different ways.

    5 71.43%
  • People, especially the younger generation, no longer think in terms of race.

    2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Has Obama's election redeemed the US from its sordid past?

  1. #1
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Has Obama's election redeemed the US from its sordid past?

    If you've watched these cable news shows, lately, ever since Obama's presidential nomination and subsequent victory, racism is no longer supposed to exist in the US. Your thoughts...


    Mine... BS!!!
    Last edited by OGKnickfan; Dec 13, 2008 at 08:39.

  2. #2
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Of course there's still racism, there were a number of racist and racial charged acts. I'm sure Akamu will be here within a few with his tin foil hat claiming all sorts of wild outrageous conspiracy theories based on tenuous, biased and limited evidence, about how Obama wasn't born in the United States or whatever, and people like metrotard will be praising him for not being dissuaded by the media.

  3. #3
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Racism is the same as it ever was. People just keep it behind closed doors more than before.

    ****, I live in NY which is a very "liberal" state, and I'd hear the N word daily in high school.

  4. #4
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    LOL@ TIN FOIL statement by KBLACK25. I remember hearing that one, when I was an undergrad. and was in a general psych. course. The professor was talking about schitzophrenics and how they might walk around with tin foil on their heads, in the belief that the foil would protect their brains from the penetration of invisible rays, etc. Brings back a lot of memories (OG wipes tear from his left eye).

    Tuner, I'm a teacher, and I have heard students think in terms of race, A LOT. I've also heard the following statement thrown around, especially on the news: "the young people no longer think in terms of race," so I threw it up on the poll as an option. Some people agree with it, which is fine. Kids, I find, though, still use race as a way to establish a hierarchy. Mexican students are especially targeted, by the rest of the Puerto Rican/Dominican/Black kids. Amongst the Black kids, there's a seperate hierarchy, based on skin tone. If you're very dark skinned, irregardless of whether you're an attractive person, especially if you're a girl, many kids will make fun of you, though it's done lightheartedly (kids, today, no longer really pick on each other, they reserve it for teachers that they perceive as being weak). Overall, I've heard a lot of the African American kids say that they prefer light skinned girls/boys.

    African American kids have busted out with statements like, "if you don't want to speak English, you should go back to your country." These are statements made by the same kids who ruin lessons, all over the school building.

    Hispanic kids have also shown themselves to have racist feelings, though not all, or even most, of course, when speaking to me in private, because they sort of feel that, because I'm Hispanic, I won't be offended. It's all "morenos" this and "morenos" that.

    Then, there's the whole issue of stereotyping. I have several college degrees, yet people from my own community will ask me, or a colleague that's with me and is of color, if we've finished high school. Meanwhile, I've had a White colleague, with barely a year of experience under his belt, be aksed if he was my "boss" or if he was helping me with my craft (I've actually taught him most of what he knows, when it comes to real classroom practice).

    Anyway, racism is here to stay. I'm a person who has a hand on the pulse of what's going on with young people, especially in NYC, because I deal with hundreds of kids a day, and I've seen the racist beliefs they hold. If you teach people that they're different, to build position, power, make value judgements, etc., then there will always be division, hatred and wasted opportunities to actually turn this mother around.
    Last edited by OGKnickfan; Dec 14, 2008 at 02:35.

  5. #5
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    **** NYPD, racist whites, racist white latinos who think they're better than those latino of african descent...and anyone who would declare war against me.

    Plain and simple.

  6. #6
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    **** NYPD, racist whites, racist white latinos who think they're better than those latino of african descent...and anyone who would declare war against me.

    Plain and simple.

    Well that is racism right there...

  7. #7
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Tough break n*gga.

  8. #8
    Veteran OriginalKnickGrandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    1,116
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Tough break n*gga.

    People like you are why we're still having this conversation about race in America, your an ignorant child. No matter your skin tone, nationality or financial situation you are no better than the man (or woman) standing next to you. I don't know about a lot of you on here but, I don't give a F--k where my Grandfather's Grandfather was from all I know is that I'm an AMERICAN.... I was born on American soil.... you? You can hold your culture close to your heart with-out hating on other people and their culture, just because you put your hate behind you dosen't make you any better at what ever race you are from. Because some of my ancestors are of Jewish decent should I hate on all German's? Sounds dumb dosen't it? Racism wherever its coming from is Hate and Hate never helped anyone.

  9. #9
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by OriginalKnickGrandson
    People like you are why we're still having this conversation about race in America, your an ignorant child. No matter your skin tone, nationality or financial situation you are no better than the man (or woman) standing next to you. I don't know about a lot of you on here but, I don't give a F--k where my Grandfather's Grandfather was from all I know is that I'm an AMERICAN.... I was born on American soil.... you? You can hold your culture close to your heart with-out hating on other people and their culture, just because you put your hate behind you dosen't make you any better at what ever race you are from. Because some of my ancestors are of Jewish decent should I hate on all German's? Sounds dumb dosen't it? Racism wherever its coming from is Hate and Hate never helped anyone.

    Thank god reason is still in existence. I'd also like to highlight the one part because it perfectly describes how I feel.

  10. #10
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    To be fair, gentlemen, I think there's been a misunderstanding, with what Metrocard actually said. He said "f%ck" racist Whites", "racist White Latinos," etc. He didn't say all Whites, he said "racist Whites."

    The only issue I take with his statement is what he said about the NYPD. As much as I dislike bureaucracies, and the way in which they treat people in a monolithic, uniform, impersonal manner, we do need the police. Improving police practices is what we should aim for, not exterminating the actual police force. Right now, the majority of new police officers aren't even White, in NYC.

    As someone who almost became a police officer, and worked with them for about 6 months, I can tell you that, while working in a number of different precincts, I saw why we need the police. I interviewed raped girls, molested children, abused wives, abandoned children, people who had been slashed with box cutters. I was chosen to do this, even though I had not yet become an officer, because I spoke Spanish, and these particular victims did not speak English.

    I think There just has to be a way to punish evil people. True justice demands we start to truly punish the wicked. I'm not talking about prostitutes or drug addicts (people who are more victims, than they are perpetrators of evil, though it depends on circumstances). I'm talking about serial killers, people who commit senseless murder, rapists, etc.

    Racism is here, and it's here to stay, but I think we must define racism carefully, if we are to actually lay judgement on "racism." Is it racist to say that certain races/ethnic groups have, with obviously some exceptions, flaws in their thinking, values system? I think not. I think it's racist, when you dehumanize a person, as a result. Certain groups put a very high value on wealth and power, to a point that it's detrimental to other groups. Some groups have institutionalized, from birth, racist beliefs: Hindus are an example of this, Africa has certain traditions that are similar. There's female circumcision and other practices that are maintained, simply in the name of tradition and culture.

    In addition, racial, national pride, family pride, above a respect and prioritization of humanity, above all else, is obviously going to lead to the sort of distinctions inheret in racism. How many of you would give all of those up, for the sake of humanity? I don't think many of us would. Even less would likely give these up for a devotion to the importance of all living things.

  11. #11
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    If you've watched these cable news shows, lately, ever since Obama's presidential nomination and subsequent victory, racism is no longer supposed to exist in the US. Your thoughts...


    Mine... BS!!!

    Racism is what many people believed to help Barack Obama become President! So is racism gone...NO! It feuled the election and whoever thinks otherwise has their head up their rear. The first black president is going to get votes by blacks NO MATTER what. It's a person who african americans think can finally give them a voice, etc.

    If Barack was not African American does everyone think that he would still have so much support from Oprah and top African American celebrities? And does everyone think that Barack would have beaten Hillary Clinton and win the election by a landslide if he was white???? HONESTLY! He's a smooth talker but racism was a part of this election and it will always be in the USA and get worse every year because we are so diverse.

    And didn't some NBA player say that he would only vote for Barack because he is black? LMAO Racism is everywhere.

    I hope Racism goes down for the sake of this country.

  12. #12
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Racism is what many people believed to help Barack Obama become President! So is racism gone...NO! It feuled the election and whoever thinks otherwise has their head up their rear. The first black president is going to get votes by blacks NO MATTER what. It's a person who african americans think can finally give them a voice, etc.

    If Barack was not African American does everyone think that he would still have so much support from Oprah and top African American celebrities? And does everyone think that Barack would have beaten Hillary Clinton and win the election by a landslide if he was white???? HONESTLY! He's a smooth talker but racism was a part of this election and it will always be in the USA and get worse every year because we are so diverse.

    And didn't some NBA player say that he would only vote for Barack because he is black? LMAO Racism is everywhere.

    I hope Racism goes down for the sake of this country.

    Your argument isn't really all that strong.

    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the black demographic votes Democrat 90% of the time. Doesn't matter who was the candidate.

    Secondly, how many people didn't vote for him because he was black?!? Probably pretty close(if not more) to those that his blackness made them say yes instead of no.

    You need to quit with this ****. He is going to be the next president. You lost. Deal with it. I dealed with your George Bush's...How about you do something constructive to help our country, which is in need by the way, instead of sitting here bitching. ****ing tired of this ****.

  13. #13
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Your argument isn't really all that strong.

    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the black demographic votes Democrat 90% of the time. Doesn't matter who was the candidate.

    Secondly, how many people didn't vote for him because he was black?!? Probably pretty close(if not more) to those that his blackness made them say yes instead of no.

    You need to quit with this ****. He is going to be the next president. You lost. Deal with it. I dealed with your George Bush's...How about you do something constructive to help our country, which is in need by the way, instead of sitting here bitching. ****ing tired of this ****.
    You honestly think that with Barack Obama possibly being the first black president ever during the race, that Racism didnt help him win this election? A huge amount of blacks voted for him because he is the first person to be the Commander in Chief that isn't white for the first time....of course racism gave Barack many of the black vote. It's obvious!

    I know many white southern people voted for McCain just because Barack is black, that also helped Barack get the black vote when black people see that on TV. Racism fueled this election and the economy collapse sealed the deal for Obama.

    Hope he can fix this economy situation, for some reason people thought he was the solution and that was the main reason why many last minute voters voted for Obama.

  14. #14
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Racism is what many people believed to help Barack Obama become President! So is racism gone...NO! It feuled the election and whoever thinks otherwise has their head up their rear. The first black president is going to get votes by blacks NO MATTER what. It's a person who african americans think can finally give them a voice, etc.

    If Barack was not African American does everyone think that he would still have so much support from Oprah and top African American celebrities? And does everyone think that Barack would have beaten Hillary Clinton and win the election by a landslide if he was white???? HONESTLY! He's a smooth talker but racism was a part of this election and it will always be in the USA and get worse every year because we are so diverse.

    And didn't some NBA player say that he would only vote for Barack because he is black? LMAO Racism is everywhere.

    I







    hope Racism goes down for the sake of this country.
    Obviously, Blacks voted for Obama for a number of reasons: race is one of them; many Whites voted for Hillary, and later McCain, for the same reason. I don't believe, however, that Obama giving them, exclusively, a voice was one of the reasons Blacks voted for Obama, and I don't think that's what he wants to do. Most Black people believe he will be a good president for all Americans, something which they obviously have a real stake in.

    They voted for him because he was both Black, relatively young, and held many of their beliefs, which speaks to what Tuner said, about Blacks usually going democrat. Had a Black conservative been running for the democratic nomination, against Hillary, I believe most Black people would not have voted for him or her, because his or her ideas would have been contrary to most of theirs. The same would go for a general election between Hillary and, let's say, Alan Keyes.

    Either way, Black people can't, through the power of their votes alone, elect anyone to the presidency, which is what you seem to imply. Hispanics, in the southwestern states, who usually vote Republican, switched sides, despite many pundits stating that this group would never vote for a Black candidate for president. The same thing happened in a number of former "red" states, with the hick vote; and, in Florida, it also happened with the typically right-leaning Cuban vote. Obama actually has a huge mandate, because of the mosaic of people who voted for him, which is why many Republicans, in Congess, will likely have to support many of his policies.

    Obama beat Hillary because of sustantive reasons: he has a powerful intelllect, was able to stay humble, undivisive, when confronted with the most controversial issues, and was able to overcome the race issues that many Whites hold with people of other races, because most people saw something special in him, something more than just color. His words urged them to go beyond superficial details, regardless of what one thinks about the man.

    In addition, I find it ridiculous that you'e trying to turn racism, and its fruits, onto the group that has faced the most racism in recent history: Blacks (from all over the world). And, this is coming from a White person, someone who comes from the group that, for hundreds of years, has, as a people, dominated the rest of the world. Your argument is flawed, in a number of ways. All of the United States of America voted for Obama, on a landslide level. Live with it.

  15. #15
    The King Akamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Of course there's still racism, there were a number of racist and racial charged acts. I'm sure Akamu will be here within a few with his tin foil hat claiming all sorts of wild outrageous conspiracy theories based on tenuous, biased and limited evidence, about how Obama wasn't born in the United States or whatever, and people like metrotard will be praising him for not being dissuaded by the media.


    Metrocard, your father brought you to this site in a positive light which turned out to be a complete discrepancy of posts, and now your jumping on my d!ck when you don't know a lick of what goes on. Another pin head waiting to be knocked over.

    Go suck some more on OG you moron, listen to this fool who makes garbage threads.

    The media says there's no more racism in America and you want to know what people think? If your dumb enough to believe that shyt or even consider what the "mainstream says" then you deserve to be talking to this low grade moron who doesn't have anything better to disscuss.

    This is a no shyt thread, another failure. You try way too hard, making a bunch of threads with polls that suck doesn't make you a better poster-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •