Am I jumping the gun?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think I am. But................

I'm sure that every Knicks fan here on KO.com has wondered how long it's going to last. Al Harrington is on fire early (post trade) and it's happy days for us all. But with all the current success, what are the Knicks to do once his agent drops in on Donnie (come Al's contract's conclusion) and says "Money! Donnie. A lot there of!!!"??

Al has said that NY is where he wants to remain. However, with this being his last chance to acquire some serious lettuce, I think we may as well say さよなら (sayonara) as other suitors will make pleasing offers above the widely estimated $8m mark. That is if he keeps putting up such good numbers.

I'm loving Al Harrington for his on court output and bench enthusiasm, but it's about a lot more than Al come 2010. I know there's 60 odd games left to make a more concise evaluation, but......... whatever.! With all the 2010 talk 18 months premature, I thought I'd throw it in the barrel.

This is what ESPN's Seth Landman had to say:

There are major pros and cons to Harrington right now, and I'll use this chance to mention that the most similar at-age player on his Hollinger stats page right now is Tim Thomas, which is never a good sign. But one thing is definitely true: His value will never be higher. He's coming off the hottest streak of his career, he's killing it from the 3-point line, and he's making his free throws for the first time. He's likely going to do two things extremely well the rest of the season in New York: hit 3s and score points.

If you have some breathing room in those categories, Harrington might be able to net you someone less streaky who helps you more across the board.

Trading him might be a good idea; as hot as he is right now, the one thing I learned in going back through his game logs for every season of his career is there is a cold spell coming. It is inevitable.:wtf:

★ Much as with Z Bo, it's all about numbers and timing. If we wanna get something in return for Al we have to trade before he just walks as a free agent.

There's something to put in your peace pipe.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
It's so hard to say who's going to cost how much yet in 2010...
So many teams may have cap space, so many great players may be looking for a deal. Some teams will surely overpay, more patient ones will have lots of great talent to snap cheap
Harrington may end up as a 12 mil guy, or a midlevel guy, depending on situation

as for trading.. well, if we can get high draft pick, then maybe. But tbh, i dont want us to give away more talent than it is necessary to get rid of Curry and Jeffries. I like that we arent far from play-offs, makes waiting for 2010 wayyy more fun

I really hope Walsh finds a way to get rid of Curry and Jeffries, even if we lose D-Lee or Nate in the process, and then i hope to just relax and have two decent ~0.500 seasons
Watching an NBDL level team and just hoping for lebron in 2010 would not be fun at all

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^^

good points dude.

I'd prefer to kick Al than Lee or N8 personally. I just don't dig the fact that he can do the runner for free. Not saying immediate trade, but not just pulling a Balkman again and letting a good player go elsewhere because every other team is not the Knicks.

I dont know how they are going to handle Al in the offseason. Unfortunatly his contract ends at the end of this season and not in 2010. If it was up in 2010 then we could sign our FA and then resign him for as much as we wanted. Unfortunatly we need to sign him up at the end of this year.

I dont forsee the knicks letting Harrington go. Walsh loves this guy enough to draft him and then trade for him twice. He obviously sees something in him, and he is flourishing in the new system. I also dont forsee the knicks letting N8 leave either. Of all the Knicks on the roster D'antoni talks most highly of N8. I even remember him saying something along the lines of out of all the players on the roster N8 would have contributed the most on his previous suns team.

My prediction has always been the same because of this. Curry will be unloaded when he eventually gets healthy enough to see some playing time. Unfortunatly I believe we will have to give up Lee in the process. No team will take on just Curry, and if we didnt package Lee along with him no team would give us didly squat for just Curry. It is going to have to happen.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Ohh damn didnt realise his 09-10 season was a player option.
Walsh's job is a tough one tbh lol
No idea how we will handle it, since hell knows what Al may decide to do with his option. But if he keeps the same numbers, then waiting for 2010 wouldnt make sense for him
If he opts out after a career year (which he is having right now), resigning him below a 50 mil deal may be hard. If Corey Maggette can get a 50 mil deal, then surely Harrington's agent will ask for at least that much

Having D'Antoni on the team may end up as a negative thing in a sense. Sure we are having fun, but when career 14-6 guys like Harrington are having 25-8 seasons, it makes it really hard to keep talent

I didnt know it was a player option. I thought it contract was just ending. In this case I dont think it will be a problem to keep Harrington unless we make an move that brings in someone better. He wants to be here. I believe hell take the player option and then we can resign him in 2010

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
yea, i highly doubt Nate leaves and Harrington imo will remain a knicks but Lee is where i got doubts, he's playing great and is a rebound machine, but for us to unload Curry and get some value in return we'd have to give up Lee. i would want us to get young players prefferably a Center -and-or- Point Gaurd for Curry and Lee.....but our priority THIS offseason is clear re-sign Nate and if Harrington opts out resign him 2

moneyg

Starter
if i was walsh...if al opts out of his contract at the end of this season... id overpay for him on a one year contract...like 15 mil for one season, so that i can keep him in '10:smokin:

JayJ44

Starter
If Harrington accepts his player option, then we can go over the cap to re-sign him. So we can sign a free agent (lebron, bosh,etc) then go over the cap to re-sign him, if I'm not mistaken. So I think Harrington will remain a Knick. I wouldn't give up Nate or Harirngton just to get rid of Curry. Harington has been our franchise player lately, and he's shown in the Phoenix game that he can score and play defense, even if his shots aren't falling.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Harrington will stay and so will Nate, D'Antoni loves him and wouldnt want to lose him, the question is wil Lee be back i honestly think he gets dealt with Curry....and we really dont need 2 superstars in 2010 it would be nice but LeBron alone will be fine or Wade etc....we could just spend max money and divide it amogst 2 players evenly 9 mil a piece etc....we could build a championship team with a superstar surrounded by stars etc...

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
It would be hard to attract lebron without another top guy i think
he's got pretty good thing going on in cleveland right now, with quite good squad. and if they dont resign Z in 2010, they'll be able to add some good guys themselves.
D'Antoni and a few 9 mil guys might not be enough for him.
well but who knows

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
true but im saying we dont only need LeBron theres plenty of ways to build a winning team we dont HAVE to sign 2 guys in the summer maybe Bosh and then we put pieces around him like Joe Johnson with the player we draft this year add him Chandler and were looking pretty good and could seriously contend